WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dead Century said:
I'm Canadian, so no. But on plenty of the survey forms here, there is an option that asks you if you identify as First Nations. I always check yes, non-status, and Metis, because that is my heritage. Also, you can visibly tell that Zimmerman is part hispanic.
By that logic, I'm part hispanic. Spoiler: I'm not.

"Hispanic," however, still is often identified as "white."

shrekfan246 said:
You're right. I was thinking about how long it usually takes threads to reach three pages, but with the context of the content in this comic, it is a bit surprising that it's taken as long as it has.

Let's just wait and see if this gets linked to Reddit, 4chan, or any of those other hotbeds, though...
I usually don't pay attention to that, so you may be right. Also, 4chan? Does that mean everyone's getting rape threats against them?

EeveeElectro said:
There are some sneaky little ones that are able to last a while. But the EXTREEEMMEEE ones don't last long at all.
Like the people kicking off in this thread, I don't think will be here much longer...
In fairness, I rarely notice them so I don't know how long they last. They just seem to always be around.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
AHAHAHA nice one.

Also what's with "not being able to identify as him".
I've never thought of a preset character as "me". The closest I ever came to that is a completely blank WRPG character e.g. Fallout/Skyrim etc., and even then I played all kinds of races and genders.
Is that a case of "middle-age business man trying to find out what kids like these days", again?

Dec 14, 2009
Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I never once claimed I was above anyone.

I just like to laugh at people :D
But isn't laughing at somebody because they take something seriously that you do not inherently putting yourself above that person?

Mockery is a form of derision - and to deride someone is to lessen their worth relative to your own. It is by nature putting yourself above someone else.
You can think that all you want, but I never think I'm better than anyone.

I mock myself as much as I mock others, so I don't really give a shit if you think I'm being condescending.

jluzar20

Apr 29, 2013
If people are crying out for more diversity, why not make your own game with whatever character you want instead of getting into pointless internet arguments or producing bad webcomics?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dead Century said:
I'm Canadian, so no. But on plenty of the survey forms here, there is an option that asks you if you identify as First Nations. I always check yes, non-status, and Metis, because that is my heritage. Also, you can visibly tell that Zimmerman is part hispanic.
By that logic, I'm part hispanic. Spoiler: I'm not.

"Hispanic," however, still is often identified as "white."
Fair enough. Race really shouldn't matter, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. My problem with it is, 'white dude kills black kid in cold blood' is an easy narrative to sell to the public. It's not as simple as that, and people need to take the time to exam the circumstances and facts. There wasn't enough to justifiably convict Zimmerman, and Trayvon Martin wasn't exactly a decent citizen like some people make him out to be.

Dec 14, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Yes, it's a facade, I'm so terribly, terribly depressed, thank you, thank you for opening my eyes. Why, this may very well be the beginning of something new for me!

I'm going to do it! I'll start volunteering at the homeless shelter, start donating money to charity!

Or, you know, none of that ¬_¬

You don't like something? That's fine, you don't like it, no worries.

What does raise questions is why do you care? Other than trying show people the 'error' of their ways in some pseudo-antagonistic fashion?

Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You can think that all you want, but I never think I'm better than anyone.

I mock myself as much as I mock others, so I don't really give a shit if you think I'm being condescending.
It's not a matter of what I think, it's a matter of how you behave.

Mockery is condescending by default. You might be self-deprecating as well but you're not displaying that behavior here, so it really doesn't change your condescension in any way.
That may be the case, but thankfully, I don't particularly care what strangers on the internet think of me, I don't know you, so I don't care.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Spot1990 said:
It's the argument trotted out most frequently actually. Why are videogame protagonists largely white heterosexual males? Because gamers are supposedly largely white heterosexual males.
How many games does the sexual preference of the protagonist actually come up? A player might infer one, but usually it's left ambiguous.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
porous_shield said:
Oh well. One less stop on my webcomic tour.

I wish they'd go back to making jokes about games instead of whatever commentary crap this is supposed to be.
It's commentary "crap" related to the "crap" you routinely see on gaming sites as a matter of course.

Well, I haven't seen an "alpha male" or "friend zone" thread in at least a month, but they'll be back.

Maiev Shadowsong said:
Tell me how they are just jokes and how they are harmless, about how I need to just get over it and toughen up. That argument sounds familiar.
Perhaps, then, that could be construed as a point. I've seen a lot of straight white dudes who tell people to toughen up and then turn around and whine because their straight white dude lifestyle isn't being pandered to. This includes the "nerd" base.

Actually, I used to play a drinking game where I'd take a shot every time someone who hated The Big Bang Theory because it was "offensive" to nerds turned around and told people who wanted better representation of women/blacks/whoever in games to shut up. I had to quit because in one week I had turned into an alcoholic.

You're free to disagree, of course, but the guys at CM tend to know what they're doing and I think they just got you to make the point for them.

Perhaps it should be taken as a feature, not a bug.