Why all the halo haters?

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010

No its pretty safe to say that without the xbox brand, the unreal 3 engine would still exist, the games based on it would still exist, all the IPs exclusive to the xbox would still exist, etc etc etc.

Halo's success centered around being a functional first person shooter on a console.

Anyone who'd been playing video games since before the xbox had played functional first person shooters on a console and played first person shooters that ranged from good to amazing.

The fact halo became a trend setter, despite not actually doing a single thing unique, is quite irritating.

Suffice to say, its not new, most people stuck up halo's tailpipe simply weren't exposed to it. Live is a perfect walled garden.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
I've always hated it. It just wasn't fun to me and I couldn't understand all the hype surrounding it.

CHIMP MAGNET

Mar 1, 2010
thatguy779 said:
Extraintrovert said:
You are an idiot. I'm probably going to be banned for this, but, still, you're an idiot. Firstly, there are plenty of other threads exactly like this one, some with the exact same question (!) so you should have referred to them. Secondly, everything that is loved also has people that hate it and vice versa. This is inevitable, as humans can never agree on anything, and is nothing new, you clearly just ignored it. Thirdly there are the things that are just plain wrong, like Halo being the first console shooter than worked (someone has never heard of Goldeneye) and Modern Warfare not existing because of Halo (Call of Duty went in an entirely different direction to Halo) and how you aren't a Halo fanboy (which you are, considering the above).

You're probably a troll anyway and I should ignore you, but I'm bored and here you are.
Uh hey ass. I got this account like 4 days ago so how am I supposed to know that there a dozen different "why the hate threads" when I barely even know how to use this website? Also you seem like a big troll since you attack someone for no reason.I never did anything to you so why do you have the urge to write negative comments? It's not like someone can come on this website and immediately know everything in every thread on this website. No I am not a halo fanboy. I also like call of duty,gears,gta 4, and other nonhalo games. Also even if call of duty went in a different direction, it is still a console shooter which means it is inspired by halo. In case you can't read, I WAS MAKING AN OPINION ANYWAY! God get a life.
Got to agree here. A remarkable level of Hypocrisy here and to back up his Mw2 argument if there were no halo, there wouldn't even be a xbox 360, 39 million xbox 360's have been sold so meaning that 39 million people could have not even be interested in gaming. seeing that xbox 360 was relised first means that sony and nintendo would not have introduced a new generation of consoles to compete with it, so this means that without halo the Ps3 Xbox 360 and wii may not have existed

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
thatguy779 said:
Aratus said:
thatguy779 said:
We might not even have 1st person shooters on a console since halo was the first console shooter that worked right.
This is actually the one claim that i cant stand. I will always give Goldeneye for the N64 credit for really laying out the foundation for console shooters.

Edit: Aww ninja'd
Halo helped make the xbox what it is today. Golden eye did not really help make the wii famous when it first came out.
Probably because Goldeneye came out in 1997, Perfect Dark in 2000, Halo in 2001 and the Wii in 2006. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark both worked right on the N64. Goldeneye awesomely so. Who can forget climbing through the ducts in the first level and making the headshot in the bathroom stalls?

P.S. I don't hate Halo, While I do feel it dumbed down FPSs I really don't give a shit about it either way.

P.P.S. edit: Wasn't the Crimson Skies game that wasn't a proper Crimson Skies game but was very popular a launch title for the xbox?

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I hate Halo because I have tried twice to play through the campaing in Halo 1 and both time I got bored to the point I couldn't force myself to play any logner (and it is not because I played it semi-recently and it doesn't stand up to modern standards, I have played through Doom 2 quite a few times before and since).

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Halo could've been much better if Microsoft hadn't bought bungie and stolen the game for the xbox. Basically, everything that was good about the series was removed for the xbox and we ended up with pew-pew guns and stupid enemies like the grunts.

ShrooM_DoughKiD

Jan 14, 2010
Halo as a game was pretty good and hugely successful, thats why Msoft has started to use it as its own Mario. If there is something to do with The Gaming Portion of Microsoft, Then you can safely bet that you're going to see MasterChef right there next to it. IMO, It lost all credibility when Halo became every kids wet dream, when it became the rage.

Why I "hate on" Halo. It became a Name, and forgot that it should be a game.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
This commercial that is all I have to say.

*EDIT*
What I mean by the video is that there are people trying to copy Halo without actually copying Halo.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
MrDeckard said:
I believe it comes from the fact that there are QUITE a few little kids yelling "HALO IS THE SHIT!!! EVERYTHING ELSE SUXXORS!!!" everywhere, and that alone draws a lot of negative attention.
Actually, thats Modern Warfare 2.

thatguy779 said:
Hopefully when halo reach comes out,this hate will come to an end. This is just my opinion though.
This made me laugh quite a bit.

thatguy779 said:
Also no, I am not a halo fanboy, I'm just sick of all the haters and I'm wondering why they decided to attack halo now.
And the part where I state I was laughing is the answer to that question.

TheBaron87

Jul 12, 2010
thatguy779 said:
If halo didn't exist, then the xbox would not exist which means we would probably not have most of the 360 exclusives we know today. ex: gears of war,crackdown,and a bunch of other games I forget.
You just answered your own question.

You're also totally oblivious, people have been hating Halo in large numbers since the first game came out.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Do you have any idea how many times this thread has come up?

Do you?

But to answer your actual question, some people do not like the things that you like.

Shocking, I know.

Also, for the record, I personally do not hate Halo. I just have no interest in playing it.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Extraintrovert said:
(Call of Duty went in an entirely different direction to Halo)
Did it? Call of Duty still had several Halo-Originated elements. Regenerating health, The ability to only carry 2 guns, Vehicle sections (which though were not really present in Modern Warfare 2 (snowmobiles not withstanding) but were prominant in other games), and the ability to pick up enemy weapons to alter your arsenal.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Rather than post the usual "because it's popular" post, I've decided to post some thoughts I have had on a popular series.

Halo was a good game. But, notice the emphasis on was. When Halo came out, it was critically acclaimed because it changed things. It raised the standards of an FPS game and the genre as a whole. I think we all have to realize that some games we have played since Halo's release would not have existed without Halo's influence.

But, as time goes on, people expand on the original, and make it better, and raise the standards even more. One could say that Call of Duty 4 was a sort of expansion of Halo's view of the FPS, but it was a better game. The story was better, the game was more challenging, and so on. Use whatever reasoning you want. But now you have the original game, which, although still great for its time, does not compare to the new standards. This creates a bit of a problem. See, now you will have the Halo sequels, which stay on relatively same standards as the original. And some people are fine with that. Those people are fans. They may have varying reasons for being fans - they played the games that came before the original game and were blown away by the innovation, or they grew up with it, or any other reason.

But then you have the people that raise their own personal standards with every innovation that comes along. These are the kinds of people who dislike popular things. They see a series like Halo and all the attention it gets and they ask, "Why does this game still get the attention it does? The concepts are old now. It's been done better. We must move on to the next innovation."

So now you have two clashing groups: the fans and the innovators. The more they clash, the more radical the groups views become. (Such clashes can be caused by high review scores or high sales for the series, or curt words from both sides, or maybe even a stereotype that goes with the fans of the game that the innovators are repulsed by and do not want to be associated with.) The views of the groups become even more radical, and thus these radical views will lead to either devout, Crusader-like fanboy-ism or pure hatred for the series. This will explain the "halo haters" you see. These people do not have something against the series. They just look at a game like, I don't know...let's say for the explanation, Singularity, and wonder why the Halo fans don't give it a chance. "Why didn't Singularity get higher reviews? Why didn't it sell better? It's because the Halo fanboys were too scared to try something new for a change." And this is somewhat true. There are some people I have talked to that the only FPS they have played is Halo. They like it, they are familiar with it, and they don't want to move forward. And this is normal. This is somewhat typical human behavior. But the innovators want to move forward and they get even more angry at Halo fans for their complacence. And then they get angry at the game for having such fans. And views get more radical. And so on.

It's a very depressing chain of events. I myself am an one of the innovators I have mentioned and I have often felt angry at Halo and its fans for not wanting to keep innovating the FPS genre. But I realize that some of the people that play Halo do not see games as a developing form of entertainment the way I do. They do not care as much about video games as I do. That's perfectly fine, not everyone on the earth can have the same views. I just try to remind myself of that fact, and I just respect Halo for its innovation. Sure, it may not be up to today's standards, but tomorrow will bring a new game will raise the standards once again. I just have to respect Halo for its place in video game history. If you still like to play it, that's great. I go back and play plenty of games from the last generation and were innovators of their time. I have my reasons for being a fan and so do you. Do not let the "hate" bother you so much. If you like the game, just have fun, realize why people may not have the same opinions as you, and respect their difference of opinions.

superspartan004

Jul 3, 2009
Even if you dislike the Halo franchise I still think you have to be impressed with how much content and how much effort Bungie are puting into Halo: Reach, if you haven't been following Reach news then I guess you really wouldn't know, but everything looks spectacular to me so far and I can't beleive they've fit so much onto one 360 disc.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
thatguy779 said:
Aratus said:
thatguy779 said:
We might not even have 1st person shooters on a console since halo was the first console shooter that worked right.
This is actually the one claim that i cant stand. I will always give Goldeneye for the N64 credit for really laying out the foundation for console shooters.

Edit: Aww ninja'd
Halo helped make the xbox what it is today. Golden eye did not really help make the wii famous when it first came out.
OK I'm pretty sure you're just a troll now.

octafish said:
P.P.S. edit: Wasn't the Crimson Skies game that wasn't a proper Crimson Skies game but was very popular a launch title for the xbox?
There was a PC version out before the xbox one, which had a lot more features and a deeper story. The xbox one was a lot more arcade, which isn't a bad thing by itself, but compared to the 1st one it was a real no frills, bare bones game.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Korten12 said:
Souplex said:
It all has to do with fanboyism. PC gamers see Halo as the symbol of their obsolescence (Half Life 2 functions pretty well as that symbol, but that's just my opinion) Nintendo and Pony fans see it as the symbol of Microsoft, and people who don't like FPSes see it as the symbol of FPSes.
Pony Fans? :S was that a grammer mistake?
No, I just call them pony cause it's fun.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Why all the Modern Warfare haters? Why all the Fallout 3 haters? Why all the Sims haters (yes, there are in fact a lot of them)? Why all the JRPG haters? And i could go on and on and on...

I mean seriously. Everything is hated and "Haters gonna hate" right? Everyone hates something.

cimil said:
Drexlor said:
Fanboys. Fanboys ruin everything.
Exactly, I hate hearing "HALO IS TEH BEST! EVERYTHING ELSE IS GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!" which a good chunk of the halo fanbase sounds like.
Exactly, and i hate hearing "WOW IS TEH BEST! EVERYTHING ELSE IS GAY!!!!!!!!!!" It's not just Halo...