Why Am I A Bad Person For Like Large Breasts And Sexy Nuns?

makano

Nov 23, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
valium said:
ShiningAmber said:
No, you're not a bad person for liking those things.

It is bad though when that is all women are seen/allowed to be - objects. How would you feel if the tables were reversed?
Men are objectified by women just as much as the reverse, and from my experience, more so. Which is kind of hypocritical if you ask me. It seems to me that objectifying the opposite sex is a human thing to, but only males seem to be accused of doing so in a negative manner.

what? How are men objectified more?

please, elaborate
please see this link
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm111492802/slaves-love-erotic-stories-ancient-rome-j-p-bowie-paperback-cover-art.jpg

makano

Nov 23, 2009
I will elaborate but i am not here to change your opinion on it you can only do that yourself.
As a fat guy i find myself compared to the big abbs etc of the covers of women's mags/books i find it dehumanizing and hurtful so i go out of my way to make it a fact that women are just as sexist as men are, men are just a lot more open about it. who would you like more tall dark hansom player twat or a fat ugly guy.

Oh and if you say "get in shape" etc i ask you if you are a women "grow bigger tits" i don't care about you and you don't me so "jog on".

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
At the risk of oversimplifying the issue, the representation of woman in gaming is currently a hot button issue for gamers. As such, many of us don't want to be seen as part of the problem, so we are quick to condemn something in a game that appears to be a negative portrayal of women in games, which makes us feel superior.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
ShiningAmber said:
How would you feel if the tables were reversed?
undeadsuitor said:
when this,

is in a videogame, call me, but until then...I don't know...do whatever it is you're doing?
Now I can't speak for everyone but I'm okay with it.

Fan-service is nothing more than titillation, not some hidden patriarchal belief to see all women as subservient objects.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
valium said:
Beyond ignorant to claim 90% of games are targeted exclusively for men. Even disregarding the fact that is the most idiotic business decision ever, just because they are pandering towards a demographic does not mean they are not also trying to cast a wider net.

Okay, if they're "casting a wider net" lets see some more games with female protagonists. Shouldn't be too hard for their wide net.

Frankly, neither one of you know what "objectification" is, and it's certainly not "oh man there's guys hotter than me in a videogame and girls are attracted to it instead of me!"

when this,

is in a videogame, call me, but until then...I don't know...do whatever it is you're doing?
A: You seem to suffer from tunnel vision. Most video games don't feature protagonists at all. Pretending that the amount of female protagonists determines how much the industry cares about women is absurd.

from mobile gaming stats:

B: if there was a video game like that... BIG DEAL. Why would that even matter?

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
as dragons crown is such a topic right now, why not use it as an example here?
I dont really mind the bodystyles of the female characters, atleast they show some vatiation and I get that its the artstyle of being so overdrawn that also applies to the male characters.
its something else that I have noticed in a lot of video game art: their empty faces.

those expressions dont say "Im ready for battle", or "Im a firce warrior" or "Im a nimble elf". they are mostly empty with something like the hint of the expression certain woman may keep while making their money horizontally. Or maybe its just a general "fuck me" expression.

that is what bothers me. the face and eyes should be a mirror of ones self or not? reflecting character that way is so easy, but these gals look like they have none.
Or mayb they are just too botoxed up and are making bubbles with invisible gum?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Jenvas1306 said:
its something else that I have noticed in a lot of video game art: their empty faces.

those expressions dont say "Im ready for battle", or "Im a firce warrior" or "Im a nimble elf". they are mostly empty with something like the hint of the expression certain woman may keep while making their money horizontally. Or maybe its just a general "fuck me" expression.

that is what bothers me. the face and eyes should be a mirror of ones self or not? reflecting character that way is so easy, but these gals look like they have none.
Or mayb they are just too botoxed up and are making bubbles with invisible gum?
I've noticed that too, but something even more prevalent in both art for video games and movie posters, are the stances.

There's that funny image of what it would look like if all the avengers stood like Black Widow.

And it's happening in that Dragon's Crown image you had too. The only reason the elf doesn't seem as immediately pandering as the sorceress and amazon is she has more clothes, that's the only reason. She's bearing her ass to everyone for all intents and purposes. (which is fine with me, she's the only character I like the look of)

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Easton Dark said:
Jenvas1306 said:
I've noticed that too, but something even more prevalent in both art for video games and movie posters, are the stances.

There's that funny image of what it would look like if all the avengers stood like Black Widow.

And it's happening in that Dragon's Crown image you had too. The only reason the elf doesn't seem as immediately pandering as the sorceress and amazon is she has more clothes, that's the only reason. She's bearing her ass to everyone for all intents and purposes. (which is fine with me, she's the only character I like the look of)
Oh wow your right the elf is facing with her ass to the camera, I just thought she was facing her whole front towards it, I think that has got to be one of the most awkward poses I have ever seen. I really should learn not to get my hopes up when it comes to this kind of thing.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
ShiningAmber said:
No, you're not a bad person for liking those things.

It is bad though when that is all women are seen/allowed to be - objects. How would you feel if the tables were reversed?
That's not all women are allowed to be, whatever your world view might dictate as the case. Dragon's Crown was a niche title, for a niche demographic and only got so much attention because a certain subset of people had to come out of the wood work to be offended about something.

If you don't like Dragon's Crown, don't buy it. It's not part of the gender related problems in the medium and it wasn't created for mass appeal. There is a place for personal preference in the culture. This game or it's aesthetic have not dominated the market of video gaming or even close to it. In fact, neither has Dead or Alive. The problem that exists, exists in mainstream development not wanting female protagonists. THAT is a problem. Nothing about Dragon's Crown is a problem for the industry. You not personally liking it, does not mean it's symptom of the problems in the industry.

(EDIT) Oh dear lord, the short sentences hurt my eyes.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The problem is with them being depicted as sexual objects to titillate 14-year-old boys and little else.

It's not about you liking big boobies.

And the specific problem with Hitman: Absolution's nuns was that Blood Money used overtly sexualised characters to help illustrate a diseased world and arguably less the impact of playing the bad guy. (Notice how all the targets in the game tend to be child abusers and murderers and rapists and drug barons and other assassins?) It also helps illustrate the mindset of someone who is presented as largely asexual. Combine that with all the religious imagery the series has adopted and it borders on a twisted Christ allegory.

Point being, all that over-the-top sexuality was presented in contexts that made sense for women to be walking around in light bondage gear and bikinis, and it drives towards a larger thematic point. In Absolution they're an assassin squad dressed in BDSM suits in a fucking motel car park.