Why are people making such a big deal of out of Quiet from MGS 5?

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
If anything "Quiet" just seems like the archetypical weird, possibly brain-damaged, female character with her boobs out that Hideo Kojima basically use as a signature for signing off his games.

The only issue (which itself is being explained by the fact that it's an MGS game, and also explains why I don't play MGS games), I have is the explanation given.

"Oh she breathes through her skin, and can also photosynthesise, so she needs to expose as much skin as possible."

Bullshit.

Firstly the breathing.
We already know of a kind of animal that breathes through it's skin (or carapace in this case). Insects. The only time on Earth insects got near human-sized (Arthropleura, a 2.3m long millipede) was in Carboniferous, and back then atmospheric Oxygen content was at about 35%. Now insects don't heat themselves like mammals do so I'll go with 40% Oxygen if Quiet is to breathe like this, simply because a mammal maintaining bodyheat uses energy, which we get from processing ATP, an to do that we need Oxygen.

40% Oxygen. So while Quiet is now capable of existing, the rest of the cast is hyperventilating from excessive oxygen intake.

Secondly photosynthesis.
Plants photosynthesise using the properties of the molecule "chlorophyll". Chlorophyll absorbs visible light in two bands, 400-450nm (violet and blue) and 640-690nm (red). This means that anything with chlorophyll in it will reflect light in the band between 450nm and 640nm which our brains will interpret as "green" light (that's why plants are green).

SO WHY ISN'T QUIET GREEN IF SHE'S PHOTOSYNTHESISING?

EDIT:

But then again, it's an MGS game, so "photosynthesis", and epidermal breathing might just be fancy words that Kojima heard while being briefly lucid because someone didn't give him the sufficient dose of drugs for the day.

EDIT:EDIT:

Also, here's a snazzy little graph showing the absorption pattern of chlorophyll.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Zhukov said:
So for those of you pulling out the sex-negative and/or puritan cards, I have a question.

Imagine if the game had Snake continuously masturbating throughout the game, just whipping it right on out and wanking himself raw every few minutes. During gameplay, during cutscenes, anywhere and everywhere. When queried, Kojima declares that this is how Snake cleanses his bloodstream of expired nanomachines.

I'm going to assume there would be some objections from the audience. Mostly along the lines of, "WTF, why is he doing that? This is stupid and makes no sense."

Would those people objecting be sex-negative puritans?
Well, if we go with your equivalence of a side character doing their thing in load screens essentially with the PC doing it in the middle of gameplay, then yeah, I'd say it's stupid and gets in the way of the game waaaay too much because you're sitting down and yanking your pants down to do literally nothing but yank on yourself for a few minutes. Cutscenes? Fine, whatevs, it sorta sounds like something he would do if he were given the idea and chance anyways.

I mean, but that would require us to go along with your thing here. Which I can't do because, as I said, you're talking about a side character and how they react in cutscenes to the PC reacting during gameplay.

I think Quiet is stupid as well, so it's not as simple as you're trying to make it out to be, but it's par for the course with Metal Gear, and so I let it slide.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima purposefully made the focus on her tits and ass in the loadscreens to be some kind of huge joke he's playing on the loads of people that threw a gigantic shitfit when she was revealed and he was forced to come up with a "legitimate" reason instead of the normal "lol MGS, never change" response nearly every other game in the series has gotten.

It's not like he hasn't done that kind of thing before with 2 and 3's main characters after all. People were hyped for more Snake, they get stuck with Raiden and threw a shitfit, so he teases Snake again in 3 and syke! You're playing BB before he was BB. So whether or not it actually is, until it's denied by him, I'm just gonna laugh. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if people throwing a fit over Quiet's attire is the gigantic joke to him.

MrFalconfly said:
Dude, you're bringing real world science into MGS, quit that, the universe runs on bullshit to begin with. You may as well get pissed off at everything Bioshock because you can inject yourself with a beehive or Witcher having monsters and mutants.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Redryhno said:
Way ahead of you.

I did say "But then again, it's an MGS game, so "photosynthesis", and epidermal breathing might just be fancy words that Kojima heard while being briefly lucid because someone didn't give him the sufficient dose of drugs for the day."

But a green Quiet still would look kinda cool.

Arkliem

Apr 30, 2015
Gethsemani said:
Did I ever say that he should cater to me? I am expressing why I have a problem with Quiet's appearance, I am not saying anything about what should be done with it. No offense to you, but I am getting tired of expressing one viewpoint in threads like this (Why I don't like something) and having others respond to things I never said (like that I am no special case to be catered to).
Misreading on my part, mainly due to this line

"I want to play MGS without having Quiet's sexiness thrust into my face" which is a suggestion to what should be done.(Which oddly enough is possible in game)

But given it was more of an explanation to stroop as to why you don't care for her as a character, I understand your point. I'd contest your claim that MGS hasn't done this before though. Especially with the BnB posing stuff. And Eva who can't go a second without making a pass at NS.

Besides, it is not that I "can't handle" Quiet. The problem is that her presentation is so fucking juvenile in all its' fan wanking glory that it makes me ashamed to play a game where I regularly have to spend time watching her squirm around like I was feeding her dollar bills in a dimly lit backroom.
Shoot her then. If you despise her personality that much, you can remove her from the game. Or don't use her as a buddy.(DD is best anyways)

Charcharo said:
Problem, as I understand it... is that Kojima actually tried to make it serious. He lied it being something more than fan service... when it is not.
Don't see a lie when he specifically states in the game why she does what she does. Don't see much difference in laziness between "She's a Russian spy so she just seduces people out of habit" and "She breathes through her skin and is attracted to Venom"

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
MrFalconfly said:
Redryhno said:
Way ahead of you.

I did say "But then again, it's an MGS game, so "photosynthesis", and epidermal breathing might just be fancy words that Kojima heard while being briefly lucid because someone didn't give him the sufficient dose of drugs for the day."

But a green Quiet still would look kinda cool.
A number of characters in the game have the whole, photosynthesis through parasites in the skin, thing going on, it would actually be pretty funny to see a decent chunk of the cast walking around with green skin.

As for MGS, I overlook most of the crazy stuff, but Mr. Kojima tends to not be able to resist trying to explain exactly how the BS supernatural stuff in his games work, so its always fun to point out that a lot of the stuff he tries to explain doesn't work that way. Which is odd because the games can go into correct precise detail about weapons and military machines that actually exist.

I always explain it as this, people have a lot easier time buying fantastic events when you are general with them, the more specific you try to be, or when you try to explain them using real concepts but get it wrong, the harder it strains suspension of disbelief.

An example: people have an easier time buying the concept of the protagonist gambling for the fate of Earth in a hand of poker with Garblax the space conqueror, than they do buying that the protagonist wins with 6 aces. We'll buy space aliens and strange circumstances with little explanation, but if you violate a universal rule everyone knows then you better have a reason why. i.e. I can accept, absorbs stuff through the skin to live, with no explanation, but if they try to explain it using a commonly known concept like photosynthesis and do it wrong, it hits suspension of disbelief harder than if you had just not explained it at all.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
You know I have no problem chalking this up to Kojima being Kojima but then he goes around trying to justify it rather than just letting it be which just, why? Really, why? You're gaming's foremost auteur, you don't need to do that, its beneath you. If he let it be nobody who mattered would care. We all know Kojima's sense of kink is part of his games and it doesn't need to be justified and drawing attention to it or even justifying it is frankly just kind of stupid and devalues his own work.

From what I hear she's also the only woman with a real presence in the cast, which doesn't help much given that previous MGS games could always skirt around the whole sexualization by having many women, some that weren't half-naked and doing sexy poses constantly. Hell, I'd wager that Kojima has done some of the better women in all of gaming so its not like he can't deliever. I'm hearing rumblings from long-time fans of the franchise so I'm forced to suspect that he just really underdelievered with Quiet.
Hey, she was criticized and people demanded answers. You think him saying he liked her design would've gone over well considering the reasons people said they didn't like her? Hell, it still came out as that and people are still upset over it.

Also, MGS5 sorta underperformed on alot of fronts. The worst offender personally being the open world-ish-ness of it and the lack of Kojima time cutscenes. I think I remember reading something a while back of him not really wanting to do much beyond MGS4, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why there's alot of stuff that's not MGS about it. He sorta suffers when he isn't given linearity I think. Also BB has had too much screen-time the last few years that a game based around building his legend when all you've heard is some of the legends surrounding him is never going to be able to live up to nearly fifteen years of hype.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Anybody else think Kojima might be trying some meta-narrative with regards to Quiet? I mean, from her initial reveal, to the "you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds" and saying she'll be the "antithesis" of that sort of fan-service character, then, well, it's shown to be the same lies and excuses the game industry continually and blatantly try and pass off these days.

I'm almost certainly giving Kojima too much credit here. He's gaming's equivalent of Quentin Tarantino and I don't mean that as a compliment.

And just to throw more fuel out there, I think part of the reason people have problems with Quiet that they may not have with, say, Bayonetta, has to do with agency:

Bayonetta wears, or doesn't wear, what she wants because, well, she want's too.

Quiet, apparently, can't wear clothes or she'll die. No choice there. No agency. Literally something she's forced to do that, say, The End doesn't.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
If I was in Kojima's shoes and a whole army of people threw criticism at me for Quiet's scantily-clad appearance, you know how I would respond? "Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated." And that's all I would say.

Japanese devs are the last people I expect to be creating excuses for fanservice...like they're ashamed of it or something. Sex sells and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Game devs need to OWN that shit and toot it from the rooftops, not try to hide it behind silly excuses/reasons because they're scared of a few people taking offense to it.

You know what would be awesome? Whenever someone yells "this is sexist/misogyny/etc!" at something in a videogame, people should respond with "and? so what?" instead of getting all defensive over it. No stupid controversies or debates needed.
That's the day when the whole SJW/third-wave feminism movement will pretty much die on the spot because it is 99% driven by controversy and attention seekers.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
altnameJag said:

Quiet, apparently, can't wear clothes or she'll die. No choice there. No agency. Literally something she's forced to do that, say, The End doesn't.
People can make the choice of what clothes they wear, people don't get to choose what conditions they are born with. Claiming she has no agency due to not having a choice of her medical condition is rather silly, don't you think? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people with certain medical conditions that are limited to the choice of apparel they may wear.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
EternallyBored said:
I always explain it as this, people have a lot easier time buying fantastic events when you are general with them, the more specific you try to be, or when you try to explain them using real concepts but get it wrong, the harder it strains suspension of disbelief.

An example: people have an easier time buying the concept of the protagonist gambling for the fate of Earth in a hand of poker with Garblax the space conqueror, than they do buying that the protagonist wins with 6 aces. We'll buy space aliens and strange circumstances with little explanation, but if you violate a universal rule everyone knows then you better have a reason why. i.e. I can accept, absorbs stuff through the skin to live, with no explanation, but if they try to explain it using a commonly known concept like photosynthesis and do it wrong, it hits suspension of disbelief harder than if you had just not explained it at all.
I think you just hit the nail right on the head.

I mean I didn't have issues with "the Warp" in Warhammer 40k, because they didn't try to explain it using half-digested highschool understanding of astrophysics. They "explained" it vaguely, and most importantly using their own terminology that was internally consistent with the rest of the Universe.

EDIT:

Or an even better example.

The Force as it was in Star Wars Episodes IV-VI.

A mystical field (entity really) that permeates every living thing. No further explanation needed.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
inmunitas said:
altnameJag said:

People can make the choice of what clothes they wear, people don't get to choose what conditions they are born with. Claiming she has no agency due to not having a choice of her medical condition is rather silly, don't you think? I pretty sure there are plenty of people with certain medical conditions that limit what choice of apparel they may wear.
Sure, in the real world that doesn't have a writer. Although a medical condition where being almost entirely nude in a desert environment being a good thing would be a hell of a condition.

As opposed to, say, some kind of integrated battle suit with fans for cooling and airflow, circulating water for oxygenation and hydration, and therm-optic camouflage and other giblets for her assorted superpowers. Heck, that would even let her keep her tragic backstory and be designed in such a way as to offer a fair amount of fan-service without being so brain-meltingly stupid.

At this point it's like that joke image where there's a squad of dudes in camo fatigues with a gal in a camo bikini striking a pose on the side, only ever dumber.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out: Yes, having no choice in a thing means you don't have agency over said thing. Literal definition: 2: the capacity, condition, or state of acting or of exerting power

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
MrFalconfly said:
EternallyBored said:

I think you just hit the nail right on the head.

I mean I didn't have issues with "the Warp" in Warhammer 40k, because they didn't try to explain it using half-digested highschool understanding of astrophysics. They "explained" it vaguely, and most importantly using their own terminology that was internally consistent with the rest of the Universe.

EDIT:

Or an even better example.

The Force as it was in Star Wars Episodes IV-VI.

A mystical field (entity really) that permeates every living thing. No further explanation needed.
Problem though. In both of those examples, even the people in those universes don't know how either operate exactly, so you're in the same boat as the rest of the world. This, MGS, is rooted in "science" and that requires an explanation if you want to keep internal logic going.

And I again have to call bullshit on people not being able to suspend their disbelief when you attach parachutes to people and then kidnap and brainwash them in the middle of the ocean on an oil platform you continually build more of in a matter of days in the same game. Or when the series has other silly crap and regularly breaks the fourth wall and calls the player out when they get stuck on "simple" puzzles.

Edit: reading this thread again, I really just think I have to bow out though, there's far too many people that can't just have a good time without over-analyzing something. Especially since everyone's focused on an optional character that you can kill and is not really all that important or useful to bring on missions instead of where the other(infinitely more important) parts of the game fall short. Like seriously, you have to go out of your way to have her "shove" her tits and ass in your face that you people are complaining about...

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Redryhno said:
Problem though. In both of those examples, even the people in those universes don't know how either operate exactly, so you're in the same boat as the rest of the world. This, MGS, is rooted in "science" and that requires an explanation if you want to keep internal logic going.

And I again have to call bullshit on people not being able to suspend their disbelief when you attach parachutes to people and then kidnap and brainwash them in the middle of the ocean on an oil platform you continually build more of in a matter of days in the same game. Or when the series has other silly crap and regularly breaks the fourth wall and calls the player out when they get stuck on "simple" puzzles.

Edit: reading this thread again, I really just think I have to bow out though, there's far too many people that can't just have a good time without over-analyzing something. Especially since everyone's focused on an optional character that you can kill and is not really all that important or useful to bring on missions instead of where the other(infinitely more important) parts of the game fall short. Like seriously, you have to go out of your way to have her "shove" her tits and ass in your face that you people are complaining about...
That doesn't change that when you explain something that uses a known variable from reality in an incorrect fashion that it more easily breaks the viewers suspension of disbelief.

Maybe you should take a break from the thread and take a chill pill, I, and I assume Mcfalconfly are taking this far less seriously than you seem to be, overanalyzing silly things a setting gets wrong is fun, it's not some great offense or moral condemnation, we are having fun poking at the silly misuse of actual scientific concepts. I don't get why you are calling others out for taking things way too seriously but seem to be taking these conversations way too seriously at the same time.

We are having a good time, overanalysis is fun, that doesn't make the game bad, Jesus man, how many times do I have to say it, I like the game, liking something doesn't mean I have to turn my brain off to enjoy it and make excuses for every tiny little flaw or mistake the game makes. Were the jokes about Quiet being green too subtle for you?

Calm it down a little, breaking suspension of disbelief isn't the end of the world, it doesn't make MGS a bad setting. The fact you seem to think you need to turn your brain off and just accept everything at face value to enjoy it does not make that the only way to enjoy the setting or series. I am perfectly capable of nitpicking the bad science and still sitting back and enjoying the goofy super-spy plot, flaming whales and psychic children included.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
It's kinda funny actually that all of Quiet's...well...Kojima's defence is coming from "Well there's a reason she dresses like that."

No, guys. The costume came first, the reason second. This isn't a poor woman having her outfit dictated by her medical condition - this is a fictional creation formed in the mind of an unpredictable man with a vivid and creative imagination. One who had the image of her and her behaviour in his head before he thought, "she breathes through her skin."

Otherwise the alternate costumes would be equally revealing. Otherwise that elderly skin-breather wouldn't have gone into battle bedecked in shrubbery. I don't really understand why it's so difficult for some people just to admit that it's a terrible aesthetic and an even worse rationale. You can enjoy a game and find some aspects of it distasteful, you know. Kojima's not going to call you on Skype and force you to look into his teary eyes while he sobs "I thought you were different" into the mic, and hang up when you try to apologise. I mean, I had a discussion like this before about Mafia II. Great game, spoiled for about five minutes by some unfunny racism, then resumed being a great game. I don't know if I much fancy playing through MGSV if I'm going to have to explain to a random interloper that Quiet isn't just porn she's actually a complex character and she's only doing those poses because she breathes through her skin....I don't particularly care to see it, thank you. Wouldn't play a game where the male supporting character wore a thong and nipple tassels, don't much see why a developer would think I'd want to play a game where photosynthesis is the only bloody excuse they could come up with to justify a costume.

I mean come on. If you have to justify a costume, something's gone terribly wrong. Kojima had no reason to dress her like that in the first place beyond simple fanservice - assuming the fans are all into that - and while that's silly in and of itself, it can be accepted, acknowledged and ignored. But it's gonna get criticised - all art is open to critique - and there's just so little point defending that particular aspect of the game, I can't actually see why anybody would bother.

You're defending a creative decision the creator had to defend with the most outlandish idea possible. There's no outdoing that argument. Just quit getting upset because some people like to play a game without having virtual women rubbing themselves up against the player, in a manner of speaking. Like how uncomfortable would you be if you went McDonalds with your nan and the fucking cashier took off her shirt, vaulted the counter and started stroking your thigh while you were trying to talk to your nan? You're trying to ignore it, it's not doing anything for you, but god damn it I'm trying to have a conversation, woman, will you leave well enough alone?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Thyunda said:
It's kinda funny actually that all of Quiet's...well...Kojima's defence is coming from "Well there's a reason she dresses like that."

No, guys. The costume came first, the reason second. This isn't a poor woman having her outfit dictated by her medical condition - this is a fictional creation formed in the mind of an unpredictable man with a vivid and creative imagination. One who had the image of her and her behaviour in his head before he thought, "she breathes through her skin."

Otherwise the alternate costumes would be equally revealing. Otherwise that elderly skin-breather wouldn't have gone into battle bedecked in shrubbery. I don't really understand why it's so difficult for some people just to admit that it's a terrible aesthetic and an even worse rationale. You can enjoy a game and find some aspects of it distasteful, you know. Kojima's not going to call you on Skype and force you to look into his teary eyes while he sobs "I thought you were different" into the mic, and hang up when you try to apologise. I mean, I had a discussion like this before about Mafia II. Great game, spoiled for about five minutes by some unfunny racism, then resumed being a great game. I don't know if I much fancy playing through MGSV if I'm going to have to explain to a random interloper that Quiet isn't just porn she's actually a complex character and she's only doing those poses because she breathes through her skin....I don't particularly care to see it, thank you. Wouldn't play a game where the male supporting character wore a thong and nipple tassels, don't much see why a developer would think I'd want to play a game where photosynthesis is the only bloody excuse they could come up with to justify a costume.

I mean come on. If you have to justify a costume, something's gone terribly wrong. Kojima had no reason to dress her like that in the first place beyond simple fanservice - assuming the fans are all into that - and while that's silly in and of itself, it can be accepted, acknowledged and ignored. But it's gonna get criticised - all art is open to critique - and there's just so little point defending that particular aspect of the game, I can't actually see why anybody would bother.

You're defending a creative decision the creator had to defend with the most outlandish idea possible. There's no outdoing that argument. Just quit getting upset because some people like to play a game without having virtual women rubbing themselves up against the player, in a manner of speaking. Like how uncomfortable would you be if you went McDonalds with your nan and the fucking cashier took off her shirt, vaulted the counter and started stroking your thigh while you were trying to talk to your nan? You're trying to ignore it, it's not doing anything for you, but god damn it I'm trying to have a conversation, woman, will you leave well enough alone?
Or, you know, people are defending it because it's not outside of the norm in the series that people HAVE to be ignoring when they say they're fans of and have played through all of them and think this character shouldn't exist...People can not like something and still defend the idea/mind that led to it.

EternallyBored said:
Redryhno said:

That doesn't change that when you explain something that uses a known variable from reality in an incorrect fashion that it more easily breaks the viewers suspension of disbelief.

Maybe you should take a break from the thread and take a chill pill, I, and I assume Mcfalconfly are taking this far less seriously than you seem to be, overanalyzing silly things a setting gets wrong is fun, it's not some great offense or moral condemnation, we are having fun poking at the silly misuse of actual scientific concepts. I don't get why you are calling others out for taking things way too seriously but seem to be taking these conversations way too seriously at the same time.

We are having a good time, overanalysis is fun, that doesn't make the game bad, Jesus man, how many times do I have to say it, I like the game, liking something doesn't mean I have to turn my brain off to enjoy it and make excuses for every tiny little flaw or mistake the game makes. Were the jokes about Quiet being green too subtle for you?

Calm it down a little, breaking suspension of disbelief isn't the end of the world, it doesn't make MGS a bad setting. The fact you seem to think you need to turn your brain off and just accept everything at face value to enjoy it does not make that the only way to enjoy the setting or series. I am perfectly capable of nitpicking the bad science and still sitting back and enjoying the goofy super-spy plot, flaming whales and psychic children included.
It's not because you're poking fun at the incorrect use. It's because you're using it as justification for why something's stupid and shouldn't be around when the universe she's in runs on bullshit and stupid tech to begin with.

Don't like it? Fine, I don't really care for her either. Think the justification's stupid? So do I, but I also think people that demanded an explanation in the first place don't know what they're talking about. Think the justification and lack of real world science means it shouldn't work that way? Get out of your rocker and look back through the series, parasites, skin breathing, nanomachines, internal telepathic walkie-talkies, psychics that get better the more exposed to war they are, perfect clones with accelerated aging, DNA sequencing and half the genes in the human body hidden from the public so that a rogue AI(essentially) can experiment without consequence? It's stupid, but so is nearly every piece of tech in the MGS universe. Because it runs on its own science that doesn't have to intersect with our own. Or it does work in our world, but we don't know it because the Patriots are still in control and it's simply an alternate universe where they aren't in the same level of control.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Thyunda said:

Otherwise the alternate costumes would be equally revealing. Otherwise that elderly skin-breather wouldn't have gone into battle bedecked in shrubbery.
The key difference is that Quiet's lungs were destroyed by Ishmael. We don't really know at what point Kojima penned, "And then a mysterious man with a bandaged head who talks just like Snake sets the female assassin on fire before throwing more flammable liquid on her as she screams and throws herself out a convenient window."