Why are you people so negative?

Alexias_Sandar

Nov 8, 2010
Because we're mean and cruel and hate fun. ;) The same reason I tell my kids when they ask why they can't do something and I'm in a hurry. :)

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
yea I agree with the op every second post is the worlds going to run out of room seriuosly try telling that to the fact that australia has a realtivily low pop compared to other countrys but is a rather large country

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
That depends. I agree that pessimists are wrong, but some people are simply realists, like me. The world is an extremely negative place: poverty, famine, war, disease, and even today, there is no equality. Rich people decide what laws to pass, what rights we're allowed to have, and how every country is run. Every country is bickering over some little insignificant thing and killing each other over it... the world is a very negative place.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
You're probably looking at newer users then. Most of us past the 2k post mark have gotten tired of the "I've lost my faith in humanity" guys which seem to be more frequent in the the <500 post users.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I was once a cynic. It was easy to be cynical, always convinced that bad things were going to happen, and then I met my girlfriend. I find it difficult to be cynical anymore.

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
Silenttalker22 said:
gabe12301 said:
You mad bro? ok but seriously. Am I supposed to call you depressing bunch optimistic and full of energy? or should I have made the text alternate between all the colors of the rainbow?
Yah, all my previous positive enforcement doesn't apply to you. You're either a common troll or just really negative. Your pick, but it's one of those.
how am I negative? or a troll? I don't understand D: I was just previously stating that it's impossible to tell someone that they are negative without being negative yourself.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Because it is the hip new thing to do now. Let us all hate humanity despite ebing part of it, yay!

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Because it is the hip new thing to do now. Let us all hate humanity despite being part of it, yay!

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Lilani said:
No, what the Escapist has isn't a surplus of misanthropes. What we have is a surplus of people who THINK they are misanthropes, brought in by lure of Yahtzee and his weekly dumps on the world. And then they stay when they find the forums, a sufficiently validating dumping ground for their grievances with the world, their regrets in life, and their general angst.

But no, most of them aren't misanthropes through and through. They've just diluted themselves into thinking so, because the community here is accepting to those types. It becomes their alter-ego, in a sense. They can be as negative as they want to be without the consequences and demands of social norms that functioning real society offers.

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being perfectly serious. From what I've seen these last couple of years, the Escapist has a lot of neat people, but too many of them are far too convinced that they are stone-cold, pillars of misanthropic logic in a world "overrun with idiots and losers." What they really need is a hug, a good cry, and something to get that stick that's been shoved too far up their ass.
Would you mind yet another quote saying "too fucking right!"?
Cause if not then let me say "too fucking right!"

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
I hope you realise the irony of being so damn negative about peoples negativity, brighten up man! Negative people aint all bad

subfield

Apr 6, 2010
i'm having trouble understanding how you can be so optimistic. can you not see the hurt in the world? can you not see the evil?

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Am I the only one who somewhat agrees with the OP? I've been here for a few years now, and I have to say I DO see quite a lot of pessimism around here. Perhaps it's not the most negative place on the entire internet, sure, but that doesn't mean it's not common. If I had a nickel for every time I see a thread titled "Why all the hate on __" or "Why are YOU losing faith in humanity?", I'd have several dollars. Not to mention the comments on every video that isn't Zero Punctuation, Extra Credits, or Moviebob. There's a reason I've stopped reading those.

Wardi Boi said:
I don't see anyone negative here, maybe you get the occasional troll or something but otherwise; it's a pretty happy community.
Oh-hoh, wait until you've been here a few more years my friend =P

TheRenaissanceMan

Invent Combustible Lemons
Jun 1, 2010
You people? what do you mean "you people"?

Nah just kidding. I think that the community here is actually a lot more positive about most things.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
DAPLR said:
Wanna talk negative!? Try being a Star Wars fan who likes The new ones and doesn't care about the added in stuff to the originals....you get eaten ALIVE!!!

Very few Star Wars fans are positive about this kind of thing :p
To the Sarlacc pit with you for this blasphemy!

Honestly I never understood all the anger with the new films and the remastering of the old ones either. I still prefer 4,5,6 and think 1,2,3 could have been done better, but they weren't a blight upon this earth like most make them out to be and I still enjoyed them. Remastering doesn't really matter since I have my original versions. Not to mention not all the remastering is horrible. I still don't understand what Lucus was thinking with redoing the NoooOOOOo though.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
Lilani said:
shrekfan246 said:
No, what the Escapist has isn't a surplus of misanthropes. What we have is a surplus of people who THINK they are misanthropes, brought in by lure of Yahtzee and his weekly dumps on the world. And then they stay when they find the forums, a sufficiently validating dumping ground for their grievances with the world, their regrets in life, and their general angst.

But no, most of them aren't misanthropes through and through. They've just diluted themselves into thinking so, because the community here is accepting to those types. It becomes their alter-ego, in a sense. They can be as negative as they want to be without the consequences and demands of social norms that functioning real society offers.
I really wish sarcasm were easy to read. I will agree with you, though.
Lol, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being perfectly serious. From what I've seen these last couple of years, the Escapist has a lot of neat people, but too many of them are far too convinced that they are stone-cold, pillars of misanthropic logic in a world "overrun with idiots and losers." What they really need is a hug, a good cry, and something to get that stick that's been shoved too far up their ass.

I just slow clapped. Seriously. Thank you, good sir, for saying what needs to be said.

Riccan

Oct 11, 2009
The problem (for lack of a better word) isn't so much pessimism or negativity, but the apparent lack of balance. When one states that "Humanity is the bane of all existance and needs to be utterly destroyed.", they tend to not want to see any sort of positive aspect because that might cast doubt on to their previous belief. Without any sort of balance, one would typically drift towards an extreme of either blind misanthropy or blind idealism. Blind being you can not and will not see any thing aside from your current belief. It is typically easier to view things as white and black, right and wrong, but such things can not and do not exist.

People tend to view things in a certain way until either enough issues with that view pile up or something huge metaphoricaly ***** slaps them into a state of disillusionment. Is it their fault? No.

Now the people that just cling onto the bandwagon of cynicism because it is "cool", many first world societies seem to think that cynicism equates to badass and worldliness; basically portraying them as qualities of the world weary sage that has grown contempt with society. Or in laymen's, it is considered badass to be cynical now in the sam way that it was badass in the seventies/eigthies to have huge hair and look like a drag queen (see Twisted Sister and many other popular bands that are typically associated with that era).
It is a phase for many people and socity that will be grown out of.

Another issue is that people will equate cynicism to misanthropy or negtivity. No, they aren't the same, stop that. Cynicism is the doubt/cautiousness that one holds when dealing with others, not "OMFG HUMNZ R TEH GAYZZZ!!!!!1". I think that I am rambiling now, so good day.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
To all the pessimistic complainers and whiners.

The saddest part about humanity and our biggest flaw is just how many people don't appreciate what they have and waste it.

I've some of the worst luck, i grew up having to fight kids twice my size who would jump me until i grew up and grew stronger to where am now respected, I've had to deal with some of the worst crap.

Yet i love life, i couldn't be happier. Am sure more then half of the people here complaining live in a decent city, if there here they can afford a console and a tv, which means they must have some food and shelter. No one should seriously be complaining.

Anyone ever lose there loved ones when there still at a young age and hardly receive any money from health insurance? just enough to get a small apartment and be rushed to get a job or else you'll lose it? While still grieving mind you?

Now years in the future am happy, i have my own place, live alone (i love peace and quiet) I have Internet and 42 inch tv nice desktop. Its the weekend i have 3 days off to do whatever, and my Import Copy of Agarest War 2 just arrived. Gonna call my best friend over to help translate and continue to teach me some Japanese as i teach him some English.

I went through more pain than more than half of these complainers probably will and am happy and there still sad? Thats pathetic, thats Sad.

Quick side note: What i find really sad about some people and kids growing up (Jesus am only 23 and calling them kids) Is how you will see a teenage boy or girl cry for days maybe months if they get dumped.Yet they will not even shed a single tear on remembrance day during the moment of silence. Thats just horrible, would it be horrible parenting? Teaching?

PonceyMcTosserFaic

Jul 30, 2011
DAPLR said:
Wanna talk negative!? Try being a Star Wars fan who likes The new ones and doesn't care about the added in stuff to the originals....you get eaten ALIVE!!!

Very few Star Wars fans are positive about this kind of thing :p

even mention the new ones in some circles and they ask for your nerd card.
yikes.