Why did I buy this?

BLERGER

Jun 11, 2008
Copter400 said:
Can't say this has ever happened to me. I generally don't buy something unless I know it's totally rad.

However, I have wondered, 'Why did my sister buy this.'
Iggy's Wrecking Balls.

Need I say more?

JC123

Apr 10, 2008
Drugar said:
Hey Joe said:
Can somebody please tell me why I felt the need to buy Tiger Woods '08?
Cause you're a sucker for anything that contains a big black dude with a club in his hands?
So Saint's Row will be next.

Gran Turismo 3. I hated Gran Turismo 1, AND 2. I just don't like the ridiculous skill level and practise required to meet most of the challenges. I'm generally adept at most games, but when I've played for 3 hours, on the same course, and can't even manage a bronze medal - get farked! Yet I still went and got it, and hated it again. I think other people's opinions of it effect me far too much. It's a pretty game, and its well designed and realistic. I WANT to like it, just like that ex-girlfriend I nearly stayed with just because she was nice. Traded it with my brother though, so that worked out ok.

The game, not the ex girlfriend. Sicko.

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
Stammer said:
Quaidis said:
Any time I ask myself, 'Why did I buy this?' it's usually returned to the store the next day.
Unfortunately, they don't let us do that here. If you open any video game, it's immediately non-refundable. Which is really horrible because unless you rent a game, there's no way of seeing if it's good or not. My friend has a lot of games. He once bought a game for his sister, and the game that came in the case wasn't at all the game that he bought. They wouldn't let him return it. Another time, the same friend bought a game, but the CD was shattered into four pieces. He couldn't return it.

Not sure if it's just Manitoba or all of Canada. Maybe even all of North America (seeing as how I don't know who you are, Quaidis). At any rate, the system fails.
It's not all of North America. Gamestop has a pretty good return policy and if you have the receipt and the disk is shattered like that they will take that one and give you a new one if they have it in stock. They're used game return policy is better though. You have 7 days from the time of purchase to give it back, even without the receipt, and they will completly refund your money.

Now on to my response to the question. There was this one game I bought and it was alright. I think it was state of emergency or something like that and there was this insanely hard part where you had to difuse a bomb and once you cut one wire you had like a tenth of a second to cut the rest. There was like five wires too. I tried several times and eventually got so pissed off at it I had to take it back. Also the end to Rainbow six vegas was really hard but now I'm going off topic.

I really hated GTA:Vice city the time I bought it for Nostalagia(I had played through San Andreas) and it was complete SHIT! I couldn't stand to play it. Having to load the fact that it was shorter than I remembred completely shocked me. It was so bad I took it back and decided it would only be remembred not played. Nostalagia has a way of making really crappy games seem fun somehow.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Terminator 3: Whatever The Hell We're Calling It This Time

Cost 7 dollars (NEW ZEALAND dollars) and after seeing it at a friend's place I'm glad I never installed it.

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
Same question, same price, only I installed it. Even with a controller it handled like a pig. I went back to it a few months later and played most of the way through, only to realise that the 'double ammo-usage' bug made the later levels impossible. Patch to 1.1 and oh look, my saves don't work... restart from the beginning, grind for a night and oh look my new saves don't work either... GAH!

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Shadow the Hedgehog. Liked Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2. Saw the reviews, bought it anyway, and beat the living shit out of myself with the controller.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
fat american said:
Nostalagia has a way of making really crappy games seem fun somehow.
It's not always that the game's crappy - sometimes your tastes just change. Take Sacrifice.

I played the demo and loved it, way back in about 2000, maybe '99. I never bought it because it was rare as hell and too expensive, but I did install the demo again a few years later (for nostalgia's sake, oddly enough). I couldn't even finish the tutorial it was so damned slow. I was in more of an FPS phase at the time I guess.

But I bought it on budget last year and loved it to bits - played through the game one and a half times and then went online with the small but dedicated (and utterly charming) remaining fanbase. I hate the level I left it on and I can't be arsed restarting at the moment, but it remains one of my favourite games of all time.

klarax

Mar 24, 2008
I mostly buy games, after looking at reviews.

However, in the past, i did not. I used to go by the cover of the game. and therefore have bought so many shit games its not funny.

Unlimited Saga has it hands down. what a piece of....

exoneuk

May 1, 2008
Unlimited Saga for me too. And Xenosaga 2. I'm pretty sure in the time I played it, nothing much happened. I fought a few mechs... ran around a bit... got confused by the constant tutorial combat... even after having beating about twenty of the buggers...

Crimson Sea 2. Dynasty Warriors... only not as good. Which is a fair recognition of just how dreadful it is. Don't get me wrong, I love DW cos it's mindless fun... but Crimson Sea... oh.

Honeycomb Beat. BUUUUUUUUUUH. Rubbish. I don't like being told how amoebic I am.

I have far too many to list really.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
crepesack said:
viva piñata
Your post sucks. Anyway.

What's wrong with Viva Pinata? It's hilarious fun, and it can suck you right in. If beating a crocodile with a shovel to protect my monkeys is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
Forza 2..... I already killed myself playing through the first one, why would I want to literally relive the experience on the second one? For acheivements....

You know, I think that's around the time I stopped caring about a achievements. When I realized what I had spent my money on.

That and Neogeo Battle Coliseum, and Guilty Gear Accent Core. I don't even play them much, I just.... wanted them. I'm a fighting game whore...

AlexCrafter

Apr 17, 2008
The expansion pack for fear. I never got past the elevator in the first game because I was so freaked out by it, I don't know what I was thinking. I've never even installed it. CREEPY.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Stammer said:
Quaidis said:
Any time I ask myself, 'Why did I buy this?' it's usually returned to the store the next day.
Unfortunately, they don't let us do that here. If you open any video game, it's immediately non-refundable. Which is really horrible because unless you rent a game, there's no way of seeing if it's good or not. My friend has a lot of games. He once bought a game for his sister, and the game that came in the case wasn't at all the game that he bought. They wouldn't let him return it. Another time, the same friend bought a game, but the CD was shattered into four pieces. He couldn't return it.

Not sure if it's just Manitoba or all of Canada. Maybe even all of North America (seeing as how I don't know who you are, Quaidis). At any rate, the system phails.
You honestly need to find a better store chain. Much akin to what Fat American said earlier: there are many game stores out there (including GameStop and relatives thereof) that have a reasonable return policy. Ask about such things before you purchase a game. If I find a cd has been broken or the game I purchased was not the game I received, the store would be more then willing to replace it. Most games I buy are used, so I get a ten day 'working' guarantee and a seven or so day satisfaction guarantee. But yes, I see where you're coming from. If you get a new game and you don't like it, given that this is the scenario, it's near impossible to return without lying to the person behind the desk - which may have been why your selected game store is a tad jaded on the issue.

bustns

May 8, 2008
I'd have to say dungeon seige for the pc. at the time the only place to buy games around here was staples and when i saw chris roberts name at the top of the box i thought "kick ass, i loved all the wing commander games and now he's doing an rpg?! this is going to be sweet!" alas it was not. it took me forever to install and get running correctly. i thought the graphics (for the time) were good, but when i started to play that stupid liniar game, i realized i wasted 50 bucks on a shit game. walking down a straight path the whole game = no fun.

nerdim

Jun 11, 2008
HA! I bought something that embarasses me every time I look at it.

Hellboy: Asylum Seeker

You know, that game that has more bugs than a Natural History Museum? That's it! Never understood why I paid $25 (american dollars) for this little piece of excrement.