why do people say dating your teacher is wrong? we got married last year and its fantastique

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Hmm, it's mainly a maturity thing, not even an age thing. I've grown more in the last few years since high school than I probably will during any other time in my life. And I'm still changing. The chances are that you could be a radically different person in five years than you are now. The age difference could complicate things as well. That's not to say it can't work, my parents were both eighteen when they married. My grand parents had a ten year age gap when they married. She was a highschool graduate and he was thirty-something Vietnam veteran. Sometimes unusual couples just work.

Can't blame you, I had a crush on a teacher in high school. She was a twenty five year old fox ; ). Still, she was way more mature than any of the students, myself included. As long as you dated him after you graduated I see nothing wrong here. People just don't want to send their kids to school and worry about older authority figures abusing their power.

polly95

Feb 15, 2014
Fox12 said:
Hmm, it's mainly a maturity thing, not even an age thing. I've grown more in the last few years since high school than I probably will during any other time in my life. And I'm still changing. The chances are that you could be a radically different person in five years than you are now. The age difference could complicate things as well. That's not to say it can't work, my parents were both eighteen when they married. My grand parents had a ten year age gap when they married. She was a highschool graduate and he was thirty-something Vietnam veteran. Sometimes unusual couples just work.

Can't blame you, I had a crush on a teacher in high school. She was a twenty five year old fox ; ). Still, she was way more mature than any of the students, myself included. As long as you dated him after you graduated I see nothing wrong here. People just don't want to send their kids to school and worry about older authority figures abusing their power.
yup it does sound wrong i agree from a parents view :(
i guess we think with our bodies a bit.
hubbys more mature than me but at least i learn a lot everyday from his advice+knowledge.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I feel like I'm reading the posts of a NSFW, master-servant roleplay Tumblr blog.

You seriously don't sound mature enough to even understand this situation.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
With Legion on this one,

Dating a teacher while you are still a student, causes all types of problems and is frowned upon for good reason, dating a FORMER teacher on the other hand is totally ok at least in my opinion...

Same goes with Policemen/Doctors, if they are no longer your Doctor or involved in a case with you I don't see the harm

Now all that said, really getting married at 18?

I mean if it works out for you, great be married and be happy good for you, but jst seems a little soon to me...

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Dating A teacher is not wrong. Dating YOUR teacher can be problematic. (For one, how are they supposed to be objective when grading you?) If you get into a relationship with your teacher after you're done working with them that's another matter. (Of course, you getting married so young is probably a factor in your parents' disapproval. A lot of young marriages don't turn out well.)

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It's extremely unprofessional. Your teacher may have had a conflict of interest when marking you. This has nothing to do with age gaps, this has to do with that teacher acting extremely unprofessional. If your principal had ever found out about this while you were still in school, your teacher have been fired.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
polly95 said:
The more I read the more I feel urge to cry
Everything you write reveals person who barely knows things about life and relationship
I wish you well, but I know it won't happen :(

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, pretty much all that can be said has been said about this.

The issue of power in the relationship, what will happen in the long run of the relationship, and talking about the red flags in "hubbies" behavior.

All I have to add is this;
polly95 said:
i agree Bellvedere, hubby is a problem for my mum and stepedad. they do not really get a long so well :(
but i never trusted my exbfs. my husband is the only lover i felt happy with and trust :/

thats ok Bathory, we never dated at school, just emailed and stared:)

Yopaz its ok i know i complained but overall i accept people will stare and whisper about us. nothing can change it. hubby said he likes it. i'm scared by it sometimes but i rather be with hubby than anywhere else:)

thanks thaluikain, i hope it works, it works for me cos i wish my husband worked at home, thats how much i enjoy him:)

Ratty ok i will tell him to stop the exhibition fetish :/ my fault too i wear short dresses (its 35-40 degree celcius some days recently!) so its kind of flirty too much.

thanks suitepee7! i was very relieved when i finished school thats for sure:) i think we were only 'friends' or 'friendly' when i was student. we emailed but so did other of his students. i never had high grades anyway :(

Almighty Aardvark, its ok i'm grateful for feedback cos i never like asking people offline in case they embarass me, so nice to know online :)
after school was over and we were honest with each other hubby told me he had fantcize about me during when i was at school but i never knew that so i think its ok.
if i knew that i would have been happy anyway lol

hi Dubya, i'm not sure how to say to him to go to couples counselling. not sure how :z, he might be confused cos we always kiss and cuddle and so happy together :D

Ratty, yep i don't think i want a baby, i did babysitting but i was not as good at babies, mostly 6-10-year-olds. its scary to think of giving birth :eek: it seems impossible in a way.

Duffeknol, i miss him everyday when he goes for work :( i don't wanna leave him.

Olas i guess its hard for people to understand cos only we feel how wonderful it is to cuddle/kiss be together :i

Not Matt, thats ok i'm getting use to it. hubby likes our attention and i might be more comfy in a year. i'm shy so attentions new but i just look in his eyes and i can avoid stares around us.

thanks not_you! that's how i see it too:) i made sure to not be too smiley until school finished.

Swag lots of people say to me i'm younger than 19, not sure why but it always happens even online or offline.

i agree Esotera, its so interesting to talk with my husband about things i never understood. i am lucky to learn from the best:)

Whateveralot, that sounds similar to us:) its so fun to finallly find a boy i trust in all ways. i was so ticklish with exbfs.

Danger Must Silence, i agree hubby was smart and wise and did not have sex with me even though i was emailing him a lot and staring always. it worked out smoothly in the end. other girl students also liked him and emailed too.
"Ratty ok i will tell him to stop the exhibition fetish :/ my fault too i wear short dresses (its 35-40 degree celcius some days recently!) so its kind of flirty too much."

-_- No.

Unless you wrote on the skirt: "Hey hubby, lift me up", what you pick to wear does not put you at fault.
The blame rest on the person who chose to do it, not who they did it to.
You don't have to accept people making you uncomfortable.

If your husband does love you, I think he can agree to not fondle you in public/private company, if you do not approve.

If he does not, as others said, you shouldn't keep the relationship going.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SwagLordYoloson said:
Is OP legit?

No offence but my suspension of disbelief went away with OP's grammar, 19 you say?

I am having a hard time believing this is not a ruse my fellow posters.
That and the relative infancy of the account threw up red flags for me as well. Not to mention the very recent news story of a teacher dating two 15-year-old students of hers.

However, if the OP is legitimate...

Duffeknol said:
From the way you post I can absolutely tell he's taking advantage of you.

We can be respectful and dance around the issue as much as we want here. But all I have to say is get the hell out as quickly as possible. This ain't right.
This.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with a student dating a teacher, provided the situation is legal and all.

However, from the way the OP's described her relationship it sounds manipulative at best and abusive at worst.

Trust your parents and friends on this one.

polly95

Feb 15, 2014
RedDeadFred said:
It's extremely unprofessional. Your teacher may have had a conflict of interest when marking you. This has nothing to do with age gaps, this has to do with that teacher acting extremely unprofessional. If your principal had ever found out about this while you were still in school, your teacher have been fired.
we never did anything wrong cos i only stared at him a lot and emails back+forth. he might have saw i was excited but no kissing :/

thewatergamer said:
With Legion on this one,

I mean if it works out for you, great be married and be happy good for you, but jst seems a little soon to me...
i was planning on marriage for many years so i guess it seems more rushed than it is....

Imp Emissary said:
Unless you wrote on the skirt: "Hey hubby, lift me up", what you pick to wear does not put you at fault.
The blame rest on the person who chose to do it, not who they did it to.
You don't have to accept people making you uncomfortable.

If your husband does love you, I think he can agree to not fondle you in public/private company, if you do not approve.

If he does not, as others said, you shouldn't keep the relationship going.
my theory is- my dress being short means that when sit and cuddle him on his lap my cheeks are on his lap. if my dress is longer it means i sit and my dress materials on his lap (not cheeks). so i think when my dress is short and we cuddle it gives me ideas so then when i stand up and we go walking he has it in his head and wants to touch there. i enjoy his hands but just as long as we dont get arrested for exposure or lewd acts etc

polly95

Feb 15, 2014
Vigormortis said:
This.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with a student dating a teacher, provided the situation is legal and all.

However, from the way the OP's described her relationship it sounds manipulative at best and abusive at worst.

Trust your parents and friends on this one.
i don't feel manipulated- i felt in danger with my exbfs but safe with my husband. he lets me do everything except go for massages with a male :/

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
polly95 said:
he lets me do everything except go for massages with a male :/
Relationships shouldn't be about your partner "letting" you do stuff. He doesn't own you, he's not your dad (or even your teacher these days), and you're not a child. He doesn't get to control you.

You appear to have an incredibly unhealthy idea of what a relationship should be.

polly95

Feb 15, 2014
Eamar said:
polly95 said:
he lets me do everything except go for massages with a male :/
Relationships shouldn't be about your partner "letting" you do stuff. He doesn't own you, he's not your dad (or even your teacher these days), and you're not a child. He doesn't get to control you.

You appear to have an incredibly unhealthy idea of what a relationship should be.
i only had 2 serious bfs before my husband and both had rough hands. so i guess i do not have much experience but i feel very happy sleeping with my husband and learning from his life experiences too. maybe if i married someone my age i might not learn as much?

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
polly95 said:
i only had 2 serious bfs before my husband and both had rough hands. so i guess i do not have much experience but i feel very happy sleeping with my husband and learning from his life experiences too. maybe if i married someone my age i might not learn as much?
Did it ever occur to you that you don't have to marry someone to learn from them? Or that you don't have to marry the first person you find who isn't "rough" with you? Based on what you've said on these forums, I'd say you shouldn't be married to anyone yet.

Seriously, if this situation is even real, your relationship seems to have a really messed up power dynamic: he's still in the role of the teacher, while you seem happy to play the part of a child.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Eamar said:
K12 said:
I'm 23 and I'd hesitate in dating a teenager. I've grown up a lot in 4 years (although my 19 year old self would probably disagree) just think about how much you'll change in 25 years when you're his age and he's retired.
This is so true, and it's something that isn't brought up enough in age gap discussions. I'm 22, and there's no way in hell I'd date someone who was 18/19, let alone younger. I'm in my fourth and final year at university, and when I look at the new first years it's just astonishing how immature they seem to me now, yet when I was in their position I was convinced that I was a full-grown adult.

People really underestimate how much you change during that period. Not that you don't continue to change afterwards of course, but it really is dramatic in your late teens/early twenties. That's the main reason I would never advocate getting married or having children at that age. If they really are "the one", it won't kill either of you to wait.

EDIT: And before anyone says anything I'm well aware of the fact that at 22 I'm still very young and will inevitably look back on myself in a few years in much the same way I currently look back on my 18 year old self :p
I don't know about this so much. I agree to a certain extent, but I don't think it is as clear cut as that. I joined the Air Force as an officer at 20, which was 5 years ago now, a position I got because of enhanced maturity at that age. (Something that was needed as I was instantly the boss of people who could be older than my parents.) I have seen a few girls that I met on an online dating site the last couple of years, some of which have been 20-21 to my 24-25, and it has been a mixed bag in terms of wisdom and maturity. One I would not have put at 21 from her sheer drive and grasp of the political world and her level of conversation. Another had a great deal of emotional intelligence, something that isn't usually as astute at age 20.

I think there can be an acceptible level of maturity in the early 20s, it's just harder to find... the majority will appear immature! I went to an 18th party last year... it was a mates little sister's, and we only went to keep him sane... It was carnage... It would have been easier to have volunteered at a crèche... Tears, fighting, vomit, declarations of undying love... and that was just the designated driver...

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Seeing as how I'm in my early twenties myself, that's exactly what I was trying to say: that (generally speaking) there's a huge difference between late teens (17/18/19) and early twenties. Something happens in those few years that really changes a lot of people. I wasn't saying that people in their early twenties are particularly immature, quite the opposite in fact.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Eamar said:
Seeing as how I'm in my early twenties myself, that's exactly what I was trying to say: that (generally speaking) there's a huge difference between late teens (17/18/19) and early twenties. Something happens in those few years that really changes a lot of people. I wasn't saying that people in their early twenties are particularly immature, quite the opposite in fact.
Sorry there... it was me being unclear... I have no experience with the late teens, apart from that party, and when I was that age. When I was 18 I was the manager of a White Goods shop as a stop gap before I signed my life on the dotted line. From memory I can't recall anybody my age being any different to me... all my friends were a year or two younger me, and they are still my core friends from home. My point was kinda saying that just from my experience is that it is swings and roundabouts whether there is a difference.

I guess the difference is visibility. As a majority of the immature breed of late teens are the ones that tend to hang around in public areas and get all the visible press. I was a member of the Air Cadets and the kids there were on a whole much more mature than the kids who were my age at school, and no different to those a few years older that I worked with out of school... in fact, at times, more mature!

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
So a 41 year old man shows interest in you when you're 16 and... you don't think hes a pedophile or something? I mean... I don't want to sound insulting, but if someone that age was hitting on me or something I would feel like it was very strange.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I was also pretty mature for an 18 year old, as were my friends. The first years at my university that I was talking about are also not "immature" in the obvious way. It's only looking back now a few years later that they (and I) come across as significantly less mature (maybe that's a better way of putting it than "immature"). To just focus on myself and my friends, we are now considerably better educated, have much more developed opinions, and above all have gained important life experiences. That was kind of my point - no matter how mature you think you are in your teens, you're highly likely to look back on yourself and shake your head at how naive/young/stupid you were in some ways. The same will be true in another few years, I'm sure.

The fact is that for most people, the period between say 16 and 20 is when you start to become fully independent, when you transition from a child/adolescent role to that of an adult. During that period you may well be very mature for your age and have responsibilities, but you're still very much learning the ropes.

There will always be exceptions of course, particularly if someone's life experiences force them to grow up quickly.

I'm in no way trying to insult or belittle people in their late teens, I'm just saying that most people change one hell of a lot between the ages of 17/18 and 22/23, for example. More so, I'd say, than at other times in their lives.

polly95

Feb 15, 2014
Eamar said:
polly95 said:
Did it ever occur to you that you don't have to marry someone to learn from them? Or that you don't have to marry the first person you find who isn't "rough" with you? Based on what you've said on these forums, I'd say you shouldn't be married to anyone yet.

Seriously, if this situation is even real, your relationship seems to have a really messed up power dynamic: he's still in the role of the teacher, while you seem happy to play the part of a child.
when i was 16 i saw a therapist and she told me i needed to learn from others and listen to people with experience cos i was not making good decisions:(