Why do people think online games like MW2 are actually fun?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
JB1528 said:
Jacco said:
Buchholz101 said:
Are you implying the in-game statistics are biased SPECIFICALLY against you?
Not at all. What I was meaning was that he must have had some kind of advantage over me that made his weapon more effective which goes back to not being fun because you are instantly at a huge disadvantage when you start to play.
I'm not a fan of MW2 in the least bit, but the guns aren't exactly the problem. As far as I can tell weapons are not necessarily better than any others, they just suit different playstyles. There is no level 50 badass gun that gets you extra kills, just different guns for different playstyles.
I was talking about Perks. lol. If he had some stupid perk enabled that makes it so you bullets are more powerful, then that would explain it.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Podunk said:
All I can think when I play Modern Warfare is "Wow, I'd really rather be playing Team Fortress 2" In my opinion TF2 does multiplayer shooting just about perfectly. I would explain why it is fun but it is nothing like MW2 so I guess that probably wouldn't help.
Please do. I'm not completely oblivious to how online games work. hahaha

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Internet connection plays a big part. Make sure you have 4 bars, low ping or whatever PS3 has.

It sucks when you're losing. But when you're winning, it can be some of the best fun you can get in a video game.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Jacco said:
JB1528 said:
Jacco said:
Buchholz101 said:
Not at all. What I was meaning was that he must have had some kind of advantage over me that made his weapon more effective which goes back to not being fun because you are instantly at a huge disadvantage when you start to play.
I'm not a fan of MW2 in the least bit, but the guns aren't exactly the problem. As far as I can tell weapons are not necessarily better than any others, they just suit different playstyles. There is no level 50 badass gun that gets you extra kills, just different guns for different playstyles.
I was talking about Perks. lol. If he had some stupid perk enabled that makes it so you bullets are more powerful, then that would explain it.
Uh, it's called Stopping Power, it's a red perk, and it increases your bullet damage by 40%

Jacco

May 1, 2011
omega_peaches said:
Jacco said:
JB1528 said:
Jacco said:
Buchholz101 said:
Uh, it's called Stopping Power, it's a red perk, and it increases your bullet damage by 40%
What does the color matter? And That would explain why I kept dying from like 3 rounds.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Jacco said:
Podunk said:
All I can think when I play Modern Warfare is "Wow, I'd really rather be playing Team Fortress 2" In my opinion TF2 does multiplayer shooting just about perfectly. I would explain why it is fun but it is nothing like MW2 so I guess that probably wouldn't help.
Please do. I'm not completely oblivious to how online games work. hahaha
Well for starter's there is no spawn problem. You sit out a number of seconds based on your team and position to the game and it's very well balanced. You don't pop in right in front of or right behind people ever. The weapons are unlocked by achievements or random drop instead of level grinding and can be crafted if you really want one in particular. Most importantly none of them are better or worse, just different in order to suit different styles of play. It had colors and seriously good artistic design, all the classes are very well balanced and feel necessary. It's also free and places a lot more emphasis on making you know how you died and what you could have done differently, and you can't get shot with a revolver all the way across the map a few times and drop dead. Not trying to be realistic is what makes the game so much more fun than MW2.

As for why the game is fun on it's own, it's just enjoyable to work with a team toward a common goal. You heal or kill or build and you know it's all in aid of your color friends and it's neat to try and push or hold a point and the way it all unfolds depending on how many of what classes are there and who does what. It's never the same thing twice and each class is fun in their own way. There are virtually no cheap kills and if what you're doing isn't working you can switch class at any time and do something better. It's very well balanced, stylish, and engaging and that just makes it a blast to play.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Dawkter said:
You probably dont find it fun because you suck at it, but I have a 1.8 KDR in MW2 and 1.3 in BLOps, yet its just... Dull for me. The formula has been milked for the past 4 years and the concept of fully costumizable loadouts and killstreaks have gone to the point where there are so many exploits and imbalances thats its basically "Whos the Better Camper/Whos Been Wasting His Nights Playing More". So much is taken away from noobs, such as the all powerful grenade launcher, the predator missiles/attack helicpoters that rain down unstoppable holocausts, and the superhuman perks. And at least CoD4 took some skill. Now, mainly because of the shit closed up maps and more kiddies than HALO 3 had in its day, its a meatgrinder of kill, be killed, rinse and repeat; even in the most "tactical" game modes such as Sabotage, because the kiddies think its better to 360 noscope their way to AC-130s rather than to complete the objective.

Halo's fun, now that CoD's taken most of the fat British 12 year olds and it went back to its original health system. You're implying that you only played MW2, which isnt a good example of a good online game. Try out HALO 3 or REACH, or if you have a competent PC try out Halo or Halo 2.
^ Mostly this.
I only play MW2 these days because I still get enjoyment out of Search and Destroy, but besides that, its still dull to play.
It used to be fun to play with friends, but when you know every nook and cranny of every single level, and there is no variation to your strategies, its just so incrediboring...

TL;DR: It is fun at first, but gets boring sometime after the 100,000th time you've been quickscoped

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Because (and saying this will make me sound incredibly juvenile) games like MW2 and Halo ARE fun, BUT, I've gotten bored with the CoD franchise ever since Black Ops, I swear to god, if they continue after MW3...(which I'm not gonna get, I puttin money in BF3 :3)

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Jacco said:
omega_peaches said:
Jacco said:
JB1528 said:
Jacco said:
Buchholz101 said:
What does the color matter? And That would explain why I kept dying from like 3 rounds.
So in MW2, there is 3 kinds of perks, blue, red, and green.
Blue Perks are perks that more so affect your character.
The Blue Perks are Marathon, Sleight of Hand, Scavenger, Bling, and One Man Army
These all affect your character, Marathon lets you spring forever, Sleight of Hand lets you reload faster and ADS faster, Scavenger lets you pick up scavenger packs so you almost never run out of ammo, Bling lets you have 2 attachments, and OMA lets you switch between classes anytime.

The red perks are all passive, they are: Stopping Power, Cold Blooded, Lightweight, Hardline, and Danger Close
Stopping Power multiplies bullet damage by 1.4, making most guns kill in 2-3 bullets (3 at long range, this is speaking for MOST guns.) Cold Blooded makes you always invisible to killstreaks, like UAV, Predator Missile, etc. Lightweight just makes you run about 1.07 the speed you would normally run at without it. Hardline makes it so killstreaks require one less kill. Danger Close makes explosives more powerful by 40%.

The green perks are mainly for certain situations, they are: Commando, Last Stand, Ninja, Steady Aim, SitRep, and Scrambler.
Commando makes it so that when you melee, you lunge a lot farther. Last Stand makes it so that when you would normally die(unless it was an explosive, falling damage, or headshot,) you lie down with your pistol out, with only 1 health, so it isn't too OP. Ninja makes you invisible to heartbeat censors, and makes your footsteps silent, so you can pull off sneak attacks. Steady Aim just makes your crosshairs tighter, to about 65 percent IIRC. SitRep makes it so that enemy claymores and C4 glow red to you, so you can easily see them, even through a small amount of walls. Scrambler makes it so that people around you's radars are jammed.

So that is pretty much my explenation of Modern Warfare 2 perks.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I enjoy them...but Im actually good at games. Not even being snarky, just egotistical. But I seriously do quite well in such games.
I dont have fun during the occaisional bad match though.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
omega_peaches said:
Very insightful. Can you combine those to get stupid ridiculous effects? Like the dude that was sprinting around the map with a revolver and a knife just stabbing everyone? He was moving too fast to shoot. At least for me. I'd get like 3 or 4 rounds off before i got stabbed int he face.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Jacco said:
I just don't get it. I don't understand what in the world could be considered "fun" about online Halo or COD.

I just played five rounds of team deathmatch on MW2 and it was awful! Five rounds and I scored I think 10 kills total. I would watch a killcam and someone would shoot me with like three rounds when it would take me nearly half a mag to take someone else out. One guy was sprinting around with a revolver and a knife and he killed me probably 6 or 7 times in a single round doing that.

I'm not mad and and I'm not venting. I just don't understand what is fun about that? How is it fun to go up against people who have 50 trillion better guns with all kinds of attachments that make them way more effective? How is it fun to try and fight your way across a map when no one works together?

I seriously don't get it. Someone explain please.
Wow. I recently played split screen MW2 with a couple of friends, then took it online, and had a blast in spite of sucking due to lack of recent FPS activity. Please don't take this as anything but friendly, empathetic advice...

The game doesn't suck because you are not (yet) good at it. Though the single player campaign was one Helluvah over-hyped, underlong (undershort?) mess. Hell, I had my ass handed to me pretty much constantly while we were playing Call of Duty 3, and when we switched to Modern Warfare 2 was when I started kicking a little ass. I also drove a big truck.

Drive a big truck, gonna kick a little ass, gonna drive a big truck, gonna kick a little ass. . .

Oh, God, see what you've started?

Rock, flag and eeeeeeagle!

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Jacco said:
omega_peaches said:
Very insightful. Can you combine those to get stupid ridiculous effects? Like the dude that was sprinting around the map with a revolver and a knife just stabbing everyone? He was moving too fast to shoot. At least for me. I'd get like 3 or 4 rounds off before i got stabbed int he face.
If he was just stabbing, he was probably using a combination of Marathon, Lightweight, and either commando or ninja.
And yeah, there are insane combos, one of the ones that is popular, yet looked down upon is noobubes, with one man army (To switch to the same class, get more tubes,) danger close, and any green perk.
Personally, my favorite combination is Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, and Ninja.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
omega_peaches said:
If he was just stabbing, he was probably using a combination of Marathon, Lightweight, and either commando or ninja.
And yeah, there are insane combos, one of the ones that is popular, yet looked down upon is noobubes, with one man army (To switch to the same class, get more tubes,) danger close, and any green perk.
Personally, my favorite combination is Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, and Ninja.
One Man Army takes too long. I just used Scavenger. : D Every kill='nother 'nade, plus Claymores for more silliness. I called my kit "'Splosion Man" and it was the only one my friends had any fun watching me play as I hogged the XBox.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Podunk said:
omega_peaches said:
One Man Army takes too long. I just used Scavenger. : D Every kill='nother 'nade, plus Claymores for more silliness. I called my kit "'Splosion Man" and it was the only one my friends had any fun watching me play as I hogged the XBox.
But with OMA, you can stay safely in your little camping spot :D
Personally, the only ways I play are ACR, Quickscope, and Knife Only

Lisa Janine

Mar 29, 2011
Meatramen said:
Speak for yourself. :p I hate competing since it creates awful stress of actually performing.
I couldn't agree with this statement more. Multiplayer competitive games just aren't fun for me, whether I'm playing with strangers over the internets or with my fiance and our friends, and whether it's Mario Party or Halo. I much prefer games where you work together against the enemies, but there are very few games like that, though they do seem to be becoming more popular, and seem to be primarily platformers (e.g. Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Bros. Wii [if you do it right], Super Mario Galaxy, Portal 2).

I hope that game companies make more truly cooperative games in the future...killing people is cool or whatever, I guess, but it gets old, even if it was fun to begin with.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Dawkter said:
Torrasque said:
Dawkter said:
You probably dont find it fun because you suck at it, but I have a 1.8 KDR in MW2 and 1.3 in BLOps, yet its just... Dull for me. The formula has been milked for the past 4 years and the concept of fully costumizable loadouts and killstreaks have gone to the point where there are so many exploits and imbalances thats its basically "Whos the Better Camper/Whos Been Wasting His Nights Playing More". So much is taken away from noobs, such as the all powerful grenade launcher, the predator missiles/attack helicpoters that rain down unstoppable holocausts, and the superhuman perks. And at least CoD4 took some skill. Now, mainly because of the shit closed up maps and more kiddies than HALO 3 had in its day, its a meatgrinder of kill, be killed, rinse and repeat; even in the most "tactical" game modes such as Sabotage, because the kiddies think its better to 360 noscope their way to AC-130s rather than to complete the objective.

Halo's fun, now that CoD's taken most of the fat British 12 year olds and it went back to its original health system. You're implying that you only played MW2, which isnt a good example of a good online game. Try out HALO 3 or REACH, or if you have a competent PC try out Halo or Halo 2.
^ Mostly this.
I only play MW2 these days because I still get enjoyment out of Search and Destroy, but besides that, its still dull to play.
It used to be fun to play with friends, but when you know every nook and cranny of every single level, and there is no variation to your strategies, its just so incrediboring...

TL;DR: It is fun at first, but gets boring sometime after the 100,000th time you've been quickscoped
And right after you think you've had it with the kids screaming racial slurs at you, MW3 comes out! Brand new 30 dollar map packs which are all MW2 maps reworked for the 'heavily' updated engine (i.e. the way cars explode look prettier)!

Maybe MW2 just started out dull for me because I was playing COD4 for 2 years straight and MW2 was just too similar to bring life to the series.
My friend who got me into MW2 in the first place, believes CoD4 is much better than MW2 could possibly be. I don't have CoD4 on me, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
omega_peaches said:
But with OMA, you can stay safely in your little camping spot :D
Personally, the only ways I play are ACR, Quickscope, and Knife Only
But... But camping is laaaame. : o I'd use it especially on that house one, and that Taliban desert one... Just keep expanding my areas of influence with more and more claymores.
The only time I really had fun with MW2 was with the Riot Shield... Slowly advancing on someone who is totally clueless about what to do and bludgeoning them to death while they shot or knifed my shield was pretty funny.