Why don't YOU have Skyrim?

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
School.

I have so much school between now and Christmas break that I have no time to really game.
I still have:
Two quizzes.
Two projects in geography.
A response paper to hand in
Four major papers
Five exams.

Plus I really dont want to play a buggy Bethesda games with no mods.

Kitten DeLux

Nov 20, 2009
360 disk tray wont open, when it dose won't read the disk
also my laptop is outdated piece if shit
will get new 360 before end of year and skyrim

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
I'm a human geography major that has exams and coursework due up until the 13th of December. Like you op, that stuff would not get done.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I don't trust bethesda to make a good game after Fallout 3.
Fallout 3 was shit in my opinion and still got great reviews, so the review scores don't matter.
I've played two RPGs (Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2) so far in my gaming career (off of the top of my head anyway), and I disliked both of them, so I think I may just not like RPGs.

Yeah, I don't care about skyrim. Though I am happy that it's selling as well as it is. Anything other than CoD selling that well is always a nice thing to see.

Oh, and I have a LOT of other games to work on while working through school, while working through band stuff. Thank fuck I don't have a social life.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Even though this will bring me grief from the "you hate a game I like, therefore you need to be lectured until you change your 'wrong' opinion" crowd, here are the reasons I am not getting skyrim.

1. I think that western RPGs in general are unfinished games. I think that Western rpg developers do not do the necessary amount of work into making a fully developed player character. Instead, they use that cop out argument of, "we allow your to put yourself into the game, which is a load of malarky to begin with. Since when did knowing most things about Mario detract from playing the game? If more of the games did something like Fallout 3 where I play key moments in my childhood, I would probably love them a lot more. Instead, the designers simply say, "we are too lazy to do that much, so you the player do it for us."

2. Since Baldur's Gate, they have been pretty much the same story over and over again. "You grew up in isolation, not knowing of your great destiny or heritage. About half way through, you discover your true purpose, proving that you are the special one, and you have to go kill the bad guy because he is bad." It does not matter if you choose good or evil in the story; it ends up being the same story no matter what.

3. There is no weight in the narrative. The main quest of the game tends to be you preventing some apocalyptic scenario, but it will wait until you are done faffing about with the Harvest moon like game.

Those are the reason why I am not getting skyream.

I await eagerly to hear from the 100 or so people that take umbrage with what I just said. I also look forward to read the same counter arguments I've read before.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I only have enough disposable income around time of year for one new game, and I bought Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Hey, it's not my fault if Skyrim didn't have a predecessor with a cliffhanger ending. I need to know what happens next!

I really really really wanna play Skyrim though. Fortunately, my birthday is only four months away.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
I don't really like the fantasy genre as it stands. There's so much one could do with the fantasy genre, but everyone seems content to just retread what Tolken did over and over again. You have all the same races, and the race dynamics never really change (elves hate dwarves, everyone hates elves because they're snobbish dicks, etc). It's like no one really has any new ideas.

Seriously, I'm just as sick of the fantasy genre as a lot of the people on the escapist as sick of the "modern warfare" genre. The stories change but somehow it's always the same thing with every game.
Gotta argue - Bethesda did an excellent job of making the fantasy genre their own. Tolkien had peaceful, superior elves, who were constantly rivalled with the little bearded mountain-people, and humans who just sort of...filled in the gaps by being everywhere.
Bioware subverted this by having the elves a lithe race who excel at poverty, and have everybody be racists.

Bethesda's high elves are snobby elves with a superior attitude. So superior they invaded the Empire to stop them worshipping Talos, who was an emperor who ascended to Godhood, because the elves did not want to share the heavens with men. There are other races - dark elves, wood elves, orcs are technically elves, and the dwarves. Dwarves are also elves. But they're extinct, leaving behind a whole array of steam engineering. The dark and wood elves get on perfectly well with the other races, except the Nords, who can't stand anything that isn't big and manly.
And that doesn't bring into account the khajiit and the Argonians. Or even the other human races, who are all so varied, even amongst themselves. And how orcs aren't quite Tolkien's orcs, but they ARE the other stereotype. A tribal warrior culture. Perfectly intelligent, just their society revolves around the strongest.

But. Yeah. Just had to point out why I like Bethesda's fantasy universe more than anybody else's. Bioware's racism got a little tiring, and everything else treats elves like gods.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
No money right now, and I have doubts about how it will run on my system. I really want it though. :/

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Two major reasons:

1) The burning desire for me to be playing a game the very second it comes out simply isn't that strong anymore. I'm perfectly willing to wait and pick up games I'm interested in when they're on special. Seeing as I'm subject to the "Australia tax", patience can save me quite a bit of money. Yes, I'm well aware of CDWow (where I got Mafia 2) and Ozgameshop, but being unemployed is kinda forcing me to really keep my purse strings nice and tight.

2) My computer (which is to say, CPU and Mobo) is just over 5 years old. It's marginally better than the minimum requirements. I'm predicting it'll run like ass.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Because I am currently deployed with the military on the other side of the world. I will definitely be getting it when I get back to civilization, though.

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
Maybe I'll find it under the tree this year.

But allow me to retort. Why don't you have BF3, Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed Revelations?

strogi

Aug 25, 2009
want to get it but due to this thing known as bills they come first or i would not have a roof over my head

Shadow Geo

Mar 24, 2011
I'm not really interested. I have too many other games to play anyways. Besides, I wouldn't want to spend over 200 hours on one game and still won't be able to finish everything.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Didn't have the money T.T. This makes for a sad Sage. So I'll have to wait till Christmas before I can play. Not bad considering all te patches that will probably come out before then.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
Because you make me out to be a bad guy for not having it! Roh roh fight the powah! I also saw a friend playing it and asked "Hey, the melee combat seems like oblivion's but slower and the enemy ai and npcs still seem kinda crap" and he said "Yeah, but magic is pretty cool". I didn't bother buying it because that was my biggest problem with oblivion.

malestrithe said:
Even though this will bring me grief from the "you hate a game I like, therefore you need to be lectured until you change your 'wrong' opinion" crowd, here are the reasons I am not getting skyrim.

1. I think that western RPGs in general are unfinished games. I think that Western rpg developers do not do the necessary amount of work into making a fully developed player character. Instead, they use that cop out argument of, "we allow your to put yourself into the game, which is a load of malarky to begin with. Since when did knowing most things about Mario detract from playing the game? If more of the games did something like Fallout 3 where I play key moments in my childhood, I would probably love them a lot more. Instead, the designers simply say, "we are too lazy to do that much, so you the player do it for us."

2. Since Baldur's Gate, they have been pretty much the same story over and over again. "You grew up in isolation, not knowing of your great destiny or heritage. About half way through, you discover your true purpose, proving that you are the special one, and you have to go kill the bad guy because he is bad." It does not matter if you choose good or evil in the story; it ends up being the same story no matter what.

3. There is no weight in the narrative. The main quest of the game tends to be you preventing some apocalyptic scenario, but it will wait until you are done faffing about with the Harvest moon like game.

Those are the reason why I am not getting skyream.

I await eagerly to hear from the 100 or so people that take umbrage with what I just said. I also look forward to read the same counter arguments I've read before.
Hi. I'm Commander Shepard and I take umbrage with what you have just said! I definitely agree with you, 'letting you put yourself in' is nonsense. All my favorite games let me like a character, not a blank slate. I am quite happy watching movies or reading books in which interesting, dynamic characters are observed and wish there was more of the same in my games. High five for agreement!