TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
"Instant oatmeal is weird... we should ban that too."

And I said, 'oatmeal? Are you crazy?!?'
*brohoof*
:D

OT: Awesome video. Like so many other people in here, I came prepared to do... Something.
Not sure what, exactly, but it would've been in anger! o_O

I'm glad that what was actually here is something brilliant and well done. Kudos for the good find. ^_^

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
AnkaraTheFallen said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
The fact that it's a child who cannot make that choice themselves pushes it over the line for me. I just couldn't do it. No matter how much could be gained, knowing what society could do to them... No way. Not me.

Could I ask what it is you went through?
I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, my whole family are strong believers, to the point of always commenting on how wrong homosexuality is when they see any signs of it. And I had that drilled into me for my whole life to the point that I actually thought they were right. Then about two years ago, I found out I was gay and fell into a spiral of self hating about it because I still thought they were right. I even went to see a counsiler to 'fix' myself.

Thankfully the person convinced me otherwise, though I still haven't told any of my family or friends since they are all the same as my parents. And I still regularly hear about how being gay is a sin. My GF and her family are the only people who know me that I'm gay in RL.

So... yeah, my life wasn't great, and I would give anything so people don't have to endure what I did.
Wow. Thank you for sharing your continuing struggle.

Not being in your position at all and perhaps thus not able to comment on the issue, I'd like to try if you would hear me? I think 'coming out' would be good for you. Despite the hate you have around you, I'd think being able to be completely honest with yourself would help you heal some of the harm.

As I said, I'm not you and I've never been in your position, so please don't be offended or take my comments to be insulting in any way.

vamp rocks

Aug 27, 2008
I am truly sorry to go off topic but i have read through this entire thread and I just had to address this.

thewaever said:
purely based on the fact that there is so much sarcasm being thrown about on this thread I cannot tell if you are being serious or not, and your closing sentence is making me lean more towards the latter. I would like to think that anyone who took that much time to write an argument would be serious and if that's the case and if you really are gay then by god man, you really need to educate yourself and think things through.

your first two arguments, though really being a very similar point, do make sense. Your third argument has some issues with it, but I can forgive that seeing as you stated that it has been a while since you researched it and because its not the main point i want to address.

your fourth argument misses the point entirely, and the first half of it is the same point being made over and over again. Your rather long rant about the logical misstep in Christian's saying that "homosexuality is a choice, and therefore wrong" completely misses the point, your counter argument states that:

"Christianity, by definition, MUST BE A CHOICE. But, Christianity isn't "wrong" despite being a choice, so why is homosexuality?"

This argument implies that people who are homophobic are so because it's a choice. The people who use this argument Don't go against homosexuality BECAUSE its a choice, they are against it because of their dislike of the nature of being homosexual. They use their "choice" argument to further demonize homosexuals by basically stating that: "Its bad enough that they are gay, but they CHOSE to be that way".

Also, as a self proclaimed homosexual, how can you say that its a choice? It hasn't yet been fully proven but it is firmly believed in the scientific community that being gay is not a choice. Even outside of the scientific data I know a few gay people who hate the fact that they are gay and have tried to force themselves to be straight. People who try by force to change their sexual nature either end up leading a lie and later down the road have an emotional breakdown resulting in them true selves coming out (pun not intended) or they realize that it cant be done and come to accept who they are and get on with it, and both of these paths cause serious psychological damage to the person.

If it was, in fact, a conscious choice for you to turn gay then please, by all means, share with me the day that you were attracted to women with no sexual attraction to men whatsoever, decided that you were going to become gay. In my opinion, the only choice one makes regarding their sexuality (and I don't mean just gay or straight, i mean specifically what a person is attracted to) is whether to be open about it or not.

I am sorry if this has come across abrasive in any way i just wanted to get my point across. and i applaud the fact that you are proud enough of your sexuality to stand up and defend it but if I, an extremely proud homosexual, can find flaws in your argument, you can bet your ass that the homophobic bigots will, and they will be a hell of a lot more ruthless than I am

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Pretty humorous video. It also raises some good points that I never really thought of before.

Not that I was against gay marriage before. It's just that I never thought about some of the comparisons this guy made in the video. Such as the single parent thing.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Snowy Rainbow said:
Awww, there's plenty of love to go around. *hug*
Yay! *hugs*

TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
"Instant oatmeal is weird... we should ban that too."

And I said, 'oatmeal? Are you crazy?!?'
*brohoof*
:D
Brohooves! Hugs! What a wonderful thread this is!

fi6eka said:
Well I'm proud of being Heterosexual, but you won't see me parading with that.That's my stance.You won't find me infront of someone's house, waving banners and yelling how great it is to be a heterosexual white orthodox christian(Ok I admit a I'm not very faithfull, and maybe not very indo-european, but you get my point).
Also what is a taffeta?
Let me google that for you...

But in short it's a very nice material.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
DracoSuave said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
]Exactly. In my opinion they are worthless and need to go. I could be objectively wrong, but personally I feel that way.
That's not what you said. You said they are outdated and need to be abolished. That's not a 'personal feeling.' That's a very broad opinion and goes a little beyond personal feeling and instead dewcribes a wish to apply your own modality of gender roles to the greater society.

Which... if I am not mistaken... is as morally wrong as society imposing gender roles upon you.

You stated that gender roles should be removed from the public consciousness, which is the imposition of a sexuality upon everyone. That's a personal bigotry, and does need to be defended with something stronger than a 'well it's just my opinion.' If someone came in here and said 'homosexuality needs to be abolished' and when you rightfully defended yourself against that, they said 'well it's just a personal feeling.'... would you just let that go? Of course not. Because it is bigotry.

Gender roles do not need to be abolished. Gender roles need to be self-actualized. Conscious decisions upon each individual to be celebrated without scorn. If a woman wants to play sally homemaker, she should have every right to celebrate that choice, just the same as if she instead wants to be 'aggressive businesswoman.' She should choose her gender role, and that should be respected.

The world is a more exciting place when people celebrate who they are and not what makes others 'comfortable.' Imposing androgyny on society is boring, and it's horrifying to those of us who believe in masculinity and femininity and celebrate everyone's right to BE masculine or feminine. Or not, as androgyny should also be celebrated by people who want to be that.

That's the only way to have freedom.
I think the issue here is that you have perceived my post as too... literal?

In my eyes, gender roles going away would be amazing. I'd never force that on anyone, but I'd love it to happen. I find them outdated and serving no purpose in my life or the world as I see it. Evolution could prove me wrong, but I'd still feel the same. If someone wants to have gender roles, they can go nuts. Freedom is the greatest gift in the world and I'd not think less of them for the way they were born. I disagree with them, but know we are both as wrong and right as each other - subjectivity for the win!

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Snowy Rainbow said:
AnkaraTheFallen said:
I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, my whole family are strong believers, to the point of always commenting on how wrong homosexuality is when they see any signs of it. And I had that drilled into me for my whole life to the point that I actually thought they were right. Then about two years ago, I found out I was gay and fell into a spiral of self hating about it because I still thought they were right. I even went to see a counsiler to 'fix' myself.

Thankfully the person convinced me otherwise, though I still haven't told any of my family or friends since they are all the same as my parents. And I still regularly hear about how being gay is a sin. My GF and her family are the only people who know me that I'm gay in RL.

So... yeah, my life wasn't great, and I would give anything so people don't have to endure what I did.

Not being in your position at all and perhaps thus not able to comment on the issue, I'd like to try if you would hear me? I think 'coming out' would be good for you. Despite the hate you have around you, I'd think being able to be completely honest with yourself would help you heal some of the harm.

As I said, I'm not you and I've never been in your position, so please don't be offended or take my comments to be insulting in any way.
No offence taken, I have considered it several times, but I still rely on my family as it is, and I know my parents (if not they whole family) would disown me for being gay, my GF has tried to talk me into it saying I can always move in with her, but I wouldn't want to cause her any problems.

And this even sounds stupid to me, but they are my family, even if they are small minded and ignorant, I still love them, they've done their best to bring me up and I will always be grateful for that, even if they hate me without knowing it.

Yeah.... reading that back, it sounds really stupid, but that is how I feel.

Maybe in the future I will tell them, but not until I can support myself.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
scorptatious said:
Pretty humorous video. It also raises some good points that I never really thought of before.

Not that I was against gay marriage before. It's just that I never thought about some of the comparisons this guy made in the video. Such as the single parent thing.
Same here. Lots of those points had never crossed my mind and I've been pro-homosexual rights my whole life.

When I found the video I was actually looking at a bunch of real anti-gay videos (some of which condoned torturing homosexuals to death) so it was a well received change of pace.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
fi6eka said:
Well I'm proud of being Heterosexual, but you won't see me parading with that.That's my stance.You won't find me infront of someone's house, waving banners and yelling how great it is to be a heterosexual white orthodox christian(Ok I admit a I'm not very faithfull, and maybe not very indo-european, but you get my point).
Also what is a taffeta?
You don't get it, do you? Theres no reason for you to parade your sexuality, because no one has a problem with you being heterosexual.

Being Gay is still illegal in many countries, often with the death penalty. There are no groups demanding the deaths of heterosexuals. There are no ancient religious texts that declare heterosexuality to be an abomination and a sin.

There are for gays.

A Pride Parade is to show solidarity. There is no need to show heterosexual solidarity.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
AnkaraTheFallen said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
AnkaraTheFallen said:

No offence taken, I have considered it several times, but I still rely on my family as it is, and I know my parents (if not they whole family) would disown me for being gay, my GF has tried to talk me into it saying I can always move in with her, but I wouldn't want to cause her any problems.

And this even sounds stupid to me, but they are my family, even if they are small minded and ignorant, I still love them, they've done their best to bring me up and I will always be grateful for that, even if they hate me without knowing it.

Yeah.... reading that back, it sounds really stupid, but that is how I feel.

Maybe in the future I will tell them, but not until I can support myself.
I'd really hate to be in your position. I wish I could do more than give you a cyber hug and tell you how strong you are, lol. Not to be a dick, but your story makes me happy in a way, knowing how awesome my parents are on the issue of homosexuality. Well, not happy... That is a dick move. More like... relieved. I can't imagine living in an environment that tells me I'm wrong.

I hope it works out for you. If you wanna talk to someone and your girl isn't handy, feel free to shoot off a message to me.

FireCoroner

Jun 28, 2010
Baradiel said:
FireCoroner said:
You know what's really horrible?
I just know that there is someone somewhere watching that video and appropriating the satirical points at face value.
And that makes me a saaaad Panda.

For more information on the subject matter, Here's the genius Stewart Lee:
Oh, I love that clip. No idea about the rest of his routines, but he's spot on with that.

I use Ancient Greece as an example when I'm discussing homosexuality, but I always dread that they'll bring up the fact that the Greeks also had slavery.
Well, then you could always counter-argue with the fact that the U.S. has essentially re-opened the slave trade with unpaid, forced prison labor; A ridiculous "three strikes" penal system with mandatory long sentences for drugs charges; and the fact that the highest bidder(J.C. Penney, Victoria's Secret, IBM, Toys R Us and the U.S. Army to name a few) are freely able to profit from the prisoner's rehabilitation.

Alternatively, if you have to argue the homosexual rights agenda with someone, then maybe they're not worth your time.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Snowy Rainbow said:
I'd really hate to be in your position. I wish I could do more than give you a cyber hug and tell you how strong you are, lol. Not to be a dick, but your story makes me happy in a way, knowing how awesome my parents are on the issue of homosexuality. Well, not happy... That is a dick move. More like... relieved. I can't imagine living in an environment that tells me I'm wrong.

I hope it works out for you. If you wanna talk to someone and your girl isn't handy, feel free to shoot off a message to me.
Thanks, I always take some happiness knowing that most other parents wont be like mine.
Thankfully my parents go away a lot on church related things (spreading the word of god or something) so my GF stays at mine a lot anyway, so my life isn't as bad as it used to be, and she always manages to cheer me up if I'm feeling down because of my family.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
So I went and looked at the users who comments were trying to preach at me... Oh I love the hypocrisy. One guy had a friend with videos about the bible, who's name was warriorforchrist4 and this guys avatar was a Roman Soldier.

*laughing*

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
FireCoroner said:
Baradiel said:
FireCoroner said:
You know what's really horrible?
I just know that there is someone somewhere watching that video and appropriating the satirical points at face value.
And that makes me a saaaad Panda.

For more information on the subject matter, Here's the genius Stewart Lee:
Oh, I love that clip. No idea about the rest of his routines, but he's spot on with that.

I use Ancient Greece as an example when I'm discussing homosexuality, but I always dread that they'll bring up the fact that the Greeks also had slavery.
Well, then you could always counter-argue with the fact that the U.S. has essentially re-opened the slave trade with unpaid, forced prison labor; A ridiculous "three strikes" penal system with mandatory long sentences for drugs charges; and the fact that the highest bidder(J.C. Penney, Victoria's Secret, IBM, Toys R Us and the U.S. Army to name a few) are freely able to profit from the prisoner's rehabilitation.

Alternatively, if you have to argue the homosexual rights agenda with someone, then maybe they're not worth your time.
Good point. I'd forgotten I can always draw from the multitude of hypocritical decisions the US government still makes.

Also, I could point out that the Bible condones slavery itself (Thank you @Ankarathefallen)

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
FireCoroner said:
Sadly, I don't know if I can disagree with that.

Aaannnddd that video is damn hilarious!

Broken Boy

Apr 10, 2010
A Tasty Burger said:
Homosexuality is nothing more than a mental disorder like schizophrenia. Same goes for being a tranny. If someone thinks they are born inside the wrong body do you seriously think they are 100% mentally stable?
My mind is totally blown now your logic is undeniable I must be insane Thank You for enlightening me!!!

I mean WOW You made some good points and so much proof that I can not argue with you...

I can't go on with this I am in a good mood & not going to let ignorance bring me down. I hope someone just rips into you. Troll or not.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Tentickles said:
So I went and looked at the users who comments were trying to preach at me... Oh I love the hypocrisy. One guy had a friend with videos about the bible, who's name was warriorforchrist4 and this guys avatar was a Roman Soldier.

*laughing*
If that's true, that irony is pretty funny.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
A Tasty Burger said:
Homosexuality is nothing more than a mental disorder like schizophrenia. Same goes for being a tranny. If someone thinks they are born inside the wrong body do you seriously think they are 100% mentally stable?
I did not realize an illustrious psychological research firm has deigned to speak in this thread. I'd be fascinated to read your research on this topic, your surveys and your studies into the causal effects.

As well, likening it to schizophrenia, I'd never considered that! I wouldn't think alternative sexual roadmapping would relate to chemical imbalances resulting in altered sensory input and hallucinations, but now that an esteemed research firm has come forth and stated it, I'd be interested to find out how!

Or... is this non-scientific asspulled bigotry disguised as a scientific statement or theory?

------------------

Honestly tho, I think that the question of whether one finds homosexuality moral or not isn't really a good debate. It's not unacceptable to believe homosexuality is immoral. That's a personal choice, and should be respected. By the same token, if you think it is immoral, that doesn't mean you have the right to decide for others who believe it is not immoral.

I believe smoking is immoral, but I don't dare decide for others what they do to themselves. It's not my place to make others moral decisions for them, nor even to decide their moralities.

The reality is: Homosexuality is legal. You're allowed to engage in it as you see fit. There's no reason why those who feel that homosexuality is not immoral shouldn't be allowed to marry, because it is THEIR moral choice to make. Not mine. Not yours. Not anyone's.

It doesn't matter if 'God says it's wrong.' Because that's YOUR God. Using YOUR God to dictate the laws for the masses is as wrong as if a Muslim decided that Sharia should be instituted as the law in a secular country. I don't care if your religion says to turn the other cheek, Muslim law says to cut off the hands of a thief--what you don't like it? Too bad, Mohammed says so, and how dare you go against him?

Christian law makers are no better than that, and should not be allowed to enforce 'God's law' on those that do not believe in their God, or believe in God in a different way. Or whatever. Religious law should stay in the church.