Wii 4.2 Update Reportedly Trashing Consoles

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm glad I don't auto update, then. Just goes to show, this is why sometimes the 3rd party updates are better than the branded ones. Though, the usb peripheral support would be a nice touch to have added. Mine is finnicky at the best, and I could use the new support...

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Don't some Wii games update the system? And will that also brick the Wii?

Or am I wrong?

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
I already got the update and nothing's wrong with it so I think I'm fine. I would also recommend not getting the update before they alter it somehow if it really is bricking random Wii's. You might not be able to use Wii Shop Channel, but it's better than having to pay $200+however many VC/WiiWare games you downloaded.

One thing's for sure though: If New Super Mario Bros. Wii will have this update on the disc, this could potentially reach an RRoD-level pandemic.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
The Wii cost $200 dollars now.

There new update is trashing consoles.

Its a conspiracy! They're doing it on purpose!

*Ahem* Anyways, that sucks. People are going to get angry when they can't play their Wii Sports.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Don't worry! I'm here to stop the fanbo-- oh, crap. Too late.

Ahem, anyway. Needless to say, my Wii won't be getting an update in the next few months.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Anyone else miss the old days, when consoles and their games didn't require patching and firmware updates?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Jandau said:
On a related note, what's Homebrew Channel? I'm guessing it has somethig to do with user-made content...
It's basically an application you use to launch homebrew software from your SD card.

Originally there was a security flaw in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess that allowed people to use a hacked save game to force the Wii to load an executable from the SD card, so someone created a file that (when run through this so-called "Twilight Hack") would install the Homebrew Channel on the Wii's internal storage.

So, yes, with the Homebrew Channel installed you can with very little effort run all sorts of homebrew applications from your SD card.

Personally I just use it to get region free games.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I don't know why game system companies don't support homebrew. If they did, they'd push more product. They waste too much time and money trying to get rid of homebrew users, like on the PSP. That system could've been amazing, but Sony wasted all its time with updates to get rid of the hackers that ended up just cracking their stuff in the end anyway.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
They update that thing?
Yes, the firmware is updated periodically. Why does this surprise you?

Incidentally, my Wii updated without incident so whatever. I didn't even know there was a Homebrew Channel.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Krakyn said:
I don't know why game system companies don't support homebrew. If they did, they'd push more product. They waste too much time and money trying to get rid of homebrew users, like on the PSP. That system could've been amazing, but Sony wasted all its time with updates to get rid of the hackers that ended up just cracking their stuff in the end anyway.
it's not so much that they're against homebrew that they are against piracy, since the same methods to get homebrew working are then used by pirates. homebrew unfortunately becomes somewhat of an innocent bystander.

Also it could have something to do with the whole XBLA/WiiWare/PSN indie game scene that's starting to crop up.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I've updated and nothings wrong with my wii so far. The only thing I've been using on the system after updating is the internet channel, the nintendo channel, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for the gamecube and everything seems fine.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
this proves that they should drop all the useless stuff and stick to games only ... this applies to all consoles especially ps3 and 360

essieteric

Jul 15, 2009
A week ago, my guinea pigs managed to chew through my Wii power cord and the sensor bar. Still waiting for the new parts from Nintendo. No power = no blue light prompting me to update.

Reading this forum, I'm going to go home and praise my piggies for their foresight.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
As consoles continue to become more like computers, the battle over content control between manufacturers and users will be waged with increasing ferocity. In this war there will be casualties, but in the end they'll be forced to capitulate or be made irrelevant by competitors who embrace homebrew and its brethren.