Wii 4.2 Update Reportedly Trashing Consoles

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
Icehearted said:
Anyone else miss the old days, when consoles and their games didn't require patching and firmware updates?
I do. When I traded in my 360 it downloaded all kinds of updates via the store's 360 internet connection. Apparantly the updates made the 360 perform better, but I never bothered to fork out the $50 or $80 or whatever for the wifi connector, and my router is on a separate floor than where my 360 was.

Consoles should just work. Period.

Someperson307

Dec 19, 2008
I have not even used my Wii in a long time. Also, an update designed to remove Homebrew is rather stupid. "Oh no! Someone made an excellent game and put it on the Homebrew channel, but we can't charge people for it BECAUSE IT'S USER MADE!!!!! REMOVE THE GODDAMN CHANNEL!!!!!! NOW!!!!!"

rex922

Sep 30, 2009
get programmers who never write bad code then no updates is possible unless for new "features"

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
I... I just bought Tales of Symphonia 2. Just bought it. It'll arrive sometime next week (according to Amazon Tracker, possibly this week). Now I'm afraid about updating my Wii.

For the love of all that is good and holy, if I'm not able to play the one Wii game I've bought in months, I will kill something.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Why the hell is it that after the 360 gets the RRoD problem, the other 2 suddenly have terrible crashing issues? What the hell is going on here?

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Left4Meds said:
I haven't touched my Wii in months so...

[small]Shut up with the innuendo.[/small]
I was about to say that, but my connection failed... What are you, a hacker ninja?

Anyone else notice that it's update 4.2?

(IT'S THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING!)

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
This just in: Nintendo aims to screw users; exceeds expectations.

Now, I don't own a wii but why would anyone want to download an update that removed functionality? I spend more time with user made content and mods than retail games these days.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
What is going on with consoles these days. All of this red-ringing, game freezing, crashing with updates.

I still have a gameboy advance, I bought it when it first came out (checks wikipedia) around 2001 and I have never had any problems. I have dropped it on numerous occassions, it went throught the washing machine once, and it still works just fine.

I would sacrifice any aspect of any consoles aesthetic design, processing power, or graphics card, just to have a console which worked perfectly without patches,updates, batteries in the controller, and to have something which could survive being trod on.

Is that too much to ask?

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
geez, nintendo, just let us use the homebrew channel, you dickheads. i just wanna download a few/dozens of Wii games, then im happy... until Galaxy 2 comes out.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Malygris said:
In the meantime, until the matter is settled once and for all, it's probably best to just avoid this update altogether.
Wait, so this update is optional? If it is an update to remove homebrew content, why would any person who installed said content even do the update?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Booze Zombie said:
They update that thing?
I was wondering the same thing.

I haven't updated my Wii in ages.

Woem said:
Malygris said:
In the meantime, until the matter is settled once and for all, it's probably best to just avoid this update altogether.
Wait, so this update is optional? If it is an update to remove homebrew content, why would any person who installed said content even do the update?
They'll make their next game require the latest patch.

Of course Homebrewers will be able to trick it into thinking you are updated. So no harm no foul for anyone but legitimate folks...as always.

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
theultimateend said:
So no harm no foul for anyone but legitimate folks...as always.
Sorry to nitpick but homebrewers are legitimate users too. But yeah I get what you mean.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Heh, I don't think I've updated my Wii since version 2.8 or something. But then again, these updates usually just bring... er... well... nothing, really.
Not to mention how often I PLAY with my Wii (no sexual innuendo intended). That's... not very often.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
CymTyr said:
Icehearted said:
Anyone else miss the old days, when consoles and their games didn't require patching and firmware updates?
I do. When I traded in my 360 it downloaded all kinds of updates via the store's 360 internet connection. Apparantly the updates made the 360 perform better, but I never bothered to fork out the $50 or $80 or whatever for the wifi connector, and my router is on a separate floor than where my 360 was.

Consoles should just work. Period.
*coughps3coughbuiltinwirelesscough*

Sorry... I couldn't help myself.

But I don't see what all the fuss about Homebrew is. They should legalize it, allow for all the brewing people could want, but not allow pirating through.

...Actually, no, that wouldn't actually work...

But it's a cool idea.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Sgtkillalot0 said:
And this is just another reason why I never bothered to buy a Wii...
You psychically predicted that one system update might brick a console despite every other modern platform potentially having the same problem. Wow, you rock.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Oh dear... many undersexed house wives are going to be rather pissed. along with disabled people.

hahaha

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Why the hell would this have been considered a non-issue if it had indeed only targeted the homebrew community? Are freeware indie games on the Wii ad DS suddenly evil just because nintendo said so?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Jman1236 said:
I've updated and nothings wrong with my wii so far.
Then you're safe. No "so far" about it. The error occurs during the update itself, so if the Wii boots again after the update is done everything is okay.