Wii 4.2 Update Reportedly Trashing Consoles

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
This is REALLY fucking embarassing. 4.2 is aimed to stop Homebrew, yet everything nintendo knows about coding is more than enough kindling for a fire!

I'm update proof anyway thanks to having a Wii with BootMii, Homebrew Channel, and Preloader, and let me tell you how much fun it is having every game on the Wii Library that's the slighest bit of a damn for absolutely free.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Asehujiko said:
Why the hell would this have been considered a non-issue if it had indeed only targeted the homebrew community? Are freeware indie games on the Wii ad DS suddenly evil just because nintendo said so?
Nintendo's scared because it might make for piracy. See the so called "Flash Card Block" of the DSi. Fat load of good that did for them. If they really wanted to stop piracy, they should take a look at their goddamn hardware and the software in it, because on both platforms its extremely easy to crack it.

SpiritMacardi

Feb 4, 2008
Good thing I haven't tried updating mine yet. It seems that Nintendo is now offering free maintenance for the affected consoles, but I don't feel like trying just because I have that to fall back on.

Oh well, this problem will likely be resolved in a later update. At least it isn't like the red-ring where the console spontaneously dies.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
puffenstuff said:
theultimateend said:
So no harm no foul for anyone but legitimate folks...as always.
Sorry to nitpick but homebrewers are legitimate users too. But yeah I get what you mean.
I've never understood nit pickers, but I am glad you got what I meant.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I wonder if some of the non-Homebrew Wii systems might have had the Homebrew Channel (or something else that Nintendo doesn't like) on them previously at some point.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Is it just or has the reason for consoles being easier to use than PC's grow less and less creditable? Which is one reason conoles are so popular....
There is now a whole raft of errors with consoles, heat issues, the yellow and red lights, the sratching of DVD's, viruses and now updates that actually kill the things.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Well, now I know not to update then. Well, it's offical, every console now has a major bug that can stop the thing from working.

Bediz

Apr 20, 2009
Sgtkillalot0 said:
And this is just another reason why I never bothered to buy a Wii...
Oh please. You're like one of my sales reps that refuses to use a computer for her sales databases. Every time a file is opening slow she says "Well, that's why I don't have one of those things!"

The PS3 and X360 have had hardware issues too and on a much wider scale (so far) than the Wii. There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike the Wii, don't act like THIS is the last straw in your buying decision.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Bediz said:
Sgtkillalot0 said:
Oh please. You're like one of my sales reps that refuses to use a computer for her sales databases. Every time a file is opening slow she says "Well, that's why I don't have one of those things!"

The PS3 and X360 have had hardware issues too and on a much wider scale (so far) than the Wii. There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike the Wii, don't act like THIS is the last straw in your buying decision.
Especially when Nintendo's essentially had the most reliable consoles in terms of stability and standing up to bizzare damage stress tests.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
On behalf of PC gaming, welcome to the wonderful world of bugs, patches, and unreliability, consolers! You already got stripped-down versions of PC games, which you proudly claimed didn't matter because they just worked. Well, now you've got a nice little insight into our world and don't even have the awesome games to show for it.

Just for this I think I'll play my modded-to-death copy of Oblivion today.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
SimuLord said:
Just for this I think I'll play my modded-to-death copy of Oblivion today.
And I play my actually-good copy of Saints Row 2 on my PS3 today.... and probably some CS:S.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I;m not updating anything, I love my Homebrew Channel almost as much as my copies of resident evil zero and resident evil 2.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Well crap.

Um...guess I'm not turning on my Wii until 4.3 happens.
Same here, god why does every update turn any system or computer into crap?

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
This is REALLY fucking embarassing. 4.2 is aimed to stop Homebrew, yet everything nintendo knows about coding is more than enough kindling for a fire!

I'm update proof anyway thanks to having a Wii with BootMii, Homebrew Channel, and Preloader, and let me tell you how much fun it is having every game on the Wii Library that's the slighest bit of a damn for absolutely free.
And thus you are the reason why Nintendo feels the need to create firmware updates to remove homebrew.

dalek sec said:
Just wondering, what exactly is "homebrew" stuff?
Well, technically it's supposed to be "user" created software, made by amatures and hobbyists.. regular people who make low-budget little games on their own time... think of like cell phone games... or think of facebook games/apps.

In REALITY, homebrew is really just about 5000 poor variations of tetris, snake, Arkanoid, or any other game that would be fitting to submit for a grade during Final Exam of "Game Development Programming 101" at your local Hallmark institute...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
RAWKSTAR said:
Don't some Wii games update the system? And will that also brick the Wii?

Or am I wrong?
My thoughts exactly, I would very much like to know if this will happen, hopefully someone will speak up out of experience soon.

Sgtkillalot0 said:
You never bothered to buy a Wii because you knew that there was going to be a future update that might brick your console? You must teach me your skills of precognition. If crack is involved, count me out.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
HyenaThePirate said:
buy teh haloz said:

And thus you are the reason why Nintendo feels the need to create firmware updates to remove homebrew.

dalek sec said:
Just wondering, what exactly is "homebrew" stuff?
Well, technically it's supposed to be "user" created software, made by amatures and hobbyists.. regular people who make low-budget little games on their own time... think of like cell phone games... or think of facebook games/apps.

In REALITY, homebrew is really just about 5000 poor variations of tetris, snake, Arkanoid, or any other game that would be fitting to submit for a grade during Final Exam of "Game Development Programming 101" at your local Hallmark institute...
Also, the Homebrew Channel isn't the only way to create and share novice gaming efforts. The Internet Channel runs JavaScript games in the Wii's Opera browser. It's slow, but as long as you're not trying to build a 3D game, it works really well and the JS even works with the Wiimote's buttons so you actually use the controller sideways, like Virtual Console titles, or you can use it like a mouse and point at the screen. Very cool stuff.