Windows 8 Will Be a "Real New Push Into PC Gaming"

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
How about they make it so I can play my old games on my new system? Its seriously pissing me off not being able to play my old games

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Read: Microsoft has found some way to charge developers for distributing on Windows, or some such similar profiteering approach.

Wake me when they integrate an xbox 360 emulator into Windows.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Nimbus said:
Every notice how basically every other Windows OS sucks balls? 7, good. Vista bad. XP good. ME bad. 98 good. 95 bad.

Looks like they're right on track for a giant flop.
you forgot 2000.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Once you allow me to install Far Cry 2 and play it without having to work around the game files for an hour or so, then I'll believe you, Microsoft.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
The only way I could imagine Microsoft getting back into the PC gaming market is by putting some arbitrary restrictions towards other developers like Valve and Blizzard within Win 8.

And considering how fucked up Microsoft is that would be possible. Fortunately they aren't allowed to do that and as all Blizzard gamer would simply switch to Mac that would be a horror scenario for them ;P

Spectre4802

Oct 23, 2009
Huh. Since when did Microsoft care about danger clo- I mean, PC gaming?

I wonder how they'll go about doing it. I imagine they'll first kill off all support for Vista, and then make all future games do something to themselves so it only runs on Windows 8, or else.

And you can bet your ass that Windows 9 will do everything they promised in Windows 8, but better. Honest.

Andy Chalk said:
On the other hand, Microsoft does seem to be taking the matter a little more seriously; the relaunched Fable 3 [http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/] is on the way.
OH YAY. MORE FUCKING FLIGHT SIMULATOR.

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
If the "every other Microsoft OS is bad" trend is going to continue, how about they just release 8 with no work done and then distribute windows 9 immediately after.

Professor Idle

Aug 21, 2009
archvile93 said:
Just more lies and empty promises to get people's hopes up. i love how they promised it years from now so everyone will forget about what they promised and won't call them out when they don't deliver. You really want me to think you haven't abandonned the PC Microsoft? Here's what you do.

1. Finish the Halo and Gears series on PC.
2. Stop making us wait longer for the PC version of 360 games that turns out to be a half assed, shoddily done port. Seriously, when was the last time this didn't happen?
3. Stop making the vast majority of the 360 library 360 exclusives.

What you shouldn't do is keep making empty promises.
Pardon me sir, but when you say finish Halo on PC, does that mean the first game is already available on PC?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
John the Gamer said:
Nimbus said:
Every notice how basically every other Windows OS sucks balls? 7, good. Vista bad. XP good. ME bad. 98 good. 95 bad.

you forgot 2000.
How are 2000 and ME different?

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Dear games for windows live: I'm not paying £40 for a wireless fucking adapter or buying a new Wired For-PC Xbox controller (?) when I have two that work just fine... just not with my PC.

Of course I already have a gamepad it's just that you're shit and make your games all use Xbox ones instead.

Also add "File Type" back to the sort-by menu instead of bullshit like Tags and Rating that no one except the sales representative has actually ever used.

LC Wynter

Jun 13, 2010
It's not a push into PC Gaming if I can't play Deus Ex on it. Or No One Lives Forever. Or The Witcher.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Jandau said:
I stopped caring roughly 5 "MS will save PC gaming" articles ago.

GFWL is still crap.
Pretty much. At this point, when they say that they're going to actively do something about PC gaming, I get a little worried about what they're going to screw up this time. I like it more when they stay out of it and just stick to making sure the OS works and supports what developers need (which Win7 finally does rather well, for the most part). These days, every time they try to "lead the way" (or whatever they're pretending they're doing) it just results in crap like, "Hey look! We reinvented what Steam already does, only this time it's awful!" If they want to do something else to help, they can have their internal studios release Windows versions of games that don't suck and aren't three years late. Don't even consider anything else before you can handle that, guys.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Nimbus said:
John the Gamer said:
Nimbus said:

you forgot 2000.
How are 2000 and ME different?
Win2k was the next professional/workstation version of NT after NT4, and XP was basically a reskinned version of Win2k to make it more accessible as a consumer version. WinME was still DOS-based and largely just a slightly newer version of Win98, only somehow more broken.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
I don't see how much more streamlined you can make a Windows OS without more than a few years worth of development. 7 handles everything very well, and if they say 8 will be very focused on games, I wonder if 8 will just be "7: Game Edition."

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Professor Idle said:
archvile93 said:
Just more lies and empty promises to get people's hopes up. i love how they promised it years from now so everyone will forget about what they promised and won't call them out when they don't deliver. You really want me to think you haven't abandonned the PC Microsoft? Here's what you do.

1. Finish the Halo and Gears series on PC.
2. Stop making us wait longer for the PC version of 360 games that turns out to be a half assed, shoddily done port. Seriously, when was the last time this didn't happen?
3. Stop making the vast majority of the 360 library 360 exclusives.

What you shouldn't do is keep making empty promises.
Pardon me sir, but when you say finish Halo on PC, does that mean the first game is already available on PC?
Why yes it is. In fact Bungie gave evryone who had a copy (why anyone who had an x-box at one time would get it on a PC as well is still a mystery) some in game bonuses in Halo Reach. Halo 2 is on the PC as well. Halo 3 ODST and Reach are not.