Windows 8 Will Be a "Real New Push Into PC Gaming"

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Rednog said:
archvile93 said:
Professor Idle said:
archvile93 said:
Just more lies and empty promises to get people's hopes up. i love how they promised it years from now so everyone will forget about what they promised and won't call them out when they don't deliver. You really want me to think you haven't abandonned the PC Microsoft? Here's what you do.

1. Finish the Halo and Gears series on PC.
2. Stop making us wait longer for the PC version of 360 games that turns out to be a half assed, shoddily done port. Seriously, when was the last time this didn't happen?
3. Stop making the vast majority of the 360 library 360 exclusives.

What you shouldn't do is keep making empty promises.
Pardon me sir, but when you say finish Halo on PC, does that mean the first game is already available on PC?
Why yes it is. In fact Bungie gave evryone who had a copy (why anyone who had an x-box at one time would get it on a PC as well is still a mystery) some in game bonuses in Halo Reach. Halo 2 is on the PC as well. Halo 3 ODST and Reach are not.
Wait, what?
The PC version for Halo 1 was far superior. It had online multiplayer, whereas the xbox was only lan. The multiplayer also had more and bigger maps, and it threw in new weapons. Also let you use the banshee and a modified warthog.
MS should not just port Halo 3, it should be the new Minesweeper of Windows.

Crimsane said:
Sorry Microsoft, but I'll believe it when I see it. You suffer from Company Who Cried PC Gaming syndrome, so many false promises in the past.
+1

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Didnt Microsoft already try re-launching GfWL once? If its just another reboot ill have to arrange an armed takeover and 'remove' those coorprate trolls that still thinks its a good idea.

Cocamaster said:
Color me uninformed, but what exactly is all this hate towards Games for Windows Live stemming from?

To me the Games for Windows client is just a crappy digital download service, but the GFWL elements implemented in the games is actually a good thing to me.

I would LOVE to have this being part of the entire gaming environment on PC, a-la Xbox Live, rather than the way it is now (game dependant).

Am I alone on this?
Youre 1 in about 6.5 billion.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
Didn't some Xbox exec say at E3 once that they were working towards making it the definitive digital multimedia platform (sort of a home computer/games console hybrid)? If that was the case then surely there ultimate goal would be the exact opposite of what this statement says.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
nofear220 said:
Windows 8 is also rumored to be fully virtualized with cloud computing. Screw it, I'll stick with Windows 7.
Yes, what a coincidence. A new push on gaming because those games will have a "Ubicrap" style of drm, bet on it.

LoganN

Jun 24, 2010
This is why developers hate the PC. PC gamers whine like no other. I've been a PC gamer all my life, but I realise that things aren't always going to be my way. I don't cry about it like the majority of you are doing. You haven't even seen shit about it, but you still say it is going to suck, or it is shit. Bah, what am I talking about, it is cool to hate Microsoft. They are bad guys, amirite?

For the record, they did say the same thing about Vista. The difference is that Vista tanked, and hard. Vista, while still making a profit, didn't get enough user adoption. Seven was a huge success, and we have see Games for Windows transform into a formitable opponent to Steam.

Oh, and I have never had a single issue with LIVE, and neither has anyone I know in real life.

SilentHunter7 said:
laryri said:
They aren't going to make GFWL part of the OS are they? Please tell me they aren't.
They can't. Thanks to anti-trust laws, Valve would destroy them in the courts.
Maybe. Apple has an intigrated application store in all of their devices. Microsoft could easily do it with theirs. It wouldn't just be games though. There were some rumors going around that it would be all kinds of software, from anti-viruses to accounting software.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
LoganN said:
They can't. Thanks to anti-trust laws, Valve would destroy them in the courts.
Maybe. Apple has an intigrated application store in all of their devices. Microsoft could easily do it with theirs. It wouldn't just be games though. There were some rumors going around that it would be all kinds of software, from anti-viruses to accounting software.[/quote]

Well Apple doesn't have the marketshare of Microsoft. If Microsoft integrated a digital distribution system with an OS that is pretty much used by everyone, Valve, and anyone else that does digital distribution, would have a pretty strong case that Microsoft is competing unfairly.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Andy Chalk said:
The interesting twist here, though, is that this particular pledge - which, to be fair, is being made on the company's behalf by an unnamed source - is based on software that we won't be able to lay our hands on for the next couple of years.
Oh good. I hope they weren't saying Windows 8 is going to be coming soon. What's wrong with 7? It's working just fine. Support it for a while like you did XP. No need to put out yet another expensive OS right now. Plus you still need to sell all those stubborn XP holdouts on 7 still anyway.
I will never stop using XP. Neither will most of the current XP users I know. I think Windows knows this as well. So trying to convert us would be a waste of time.

LoganN

Jun 24, 2010
SilentHunter7 said:
Well Apple doesn't have the marketshare of Microsoft. If Microsoft integrated a digital distribution system with an OS that is pretty much used by everyone, Valve, and anyone else that does digital distribution, would have a pretty strong case that Microsoft is competing unfairly.
Valve does, though. Valve has a huge majority of the digital distrubition market when it comes to games. Estimates are in the high eighty percent. Plus, Valve's software is bundled with games, and required to be installed and used to play those games.

I don't see why they couldn't bundle their own software with their own software.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
archvile93 said:
Just more lies and empty promises to get people's hopes up. i love how they promised it years from now so everyone will forget about what they promised and won't call them out when they don't deliver. You really want me to think you haven't abandonned the PC Microsoft? Here's what you do.

2. Stop making us wait longer for the PC version of 360 games that turns out to be a half assed, shoddily done port. Seriously, when was the last time this didn't happen?

That seems a little harsh dude, PC ports of Halo 3, Reach, Wars and Gears 2 would be cool, but a little pointless.
Can you imagine that many people getting them? Although PC Halo CE is still fairly popular online.

Many 360 games are exclusives because they're made for 360, they may not even work anywhere else, maybe these shoddy ports you speak are only shoddy because they weren't really mean't for PC anyway.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
IBlackKiteI said:
archvile93 said:

That seems a little harsh dude, PC ports of Halo 3, Reach, Wars and Gears 2 would be cool, but a little pointless.
Can you imagine that many people getting them? Although PC Halo CE is still fairly popular online.

Many 360 games are exclusives because they're made for 360, they may not even work anywhere else, maybe these shoddy ports you speak are only shoddy because they weren't really mean't for PC anyway.
It's not harsh, it's the truth. They talk about how their going to save PC gaming yet all they've done is make a shitty steam knockoff, and one game (Fable 3) that they couldn't get out the door on time anyway, and you know it will run inferiorly to the 360 version in every way. Since most developers have no problem making various versions of the same gamewithout any problems, I fail to see why they can't. And, no there is no technical reason that 360 exclusive games couldn't be made for other systems. Hell PCs have the best hardware most of the time.

TakeFour

Aug 25, 2010
Cocamaster said:
I would LOVE to have this being part of the entire gaming environment on PC, a-la Xbox Live, rather than the way it is now (game dependant).
i'ts called steam. microsoft trying to get involved would mean they launch a similar service that's worse for everyone and probably has stupid drm, which would splinter the industry and could kill steam. I would cry. I hope this doesn't ammount to anything. The third parties know what their doing. Indie devs, blah blah blah open gl blah blah blah drm. This is not new stuff.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
mogamer said:
A new push on gaming because those games will have a "Ubicrap" style of drm.
Let's not forget why Ubisoft is now the Queen of Delusional Restrictions Mismanagement.
They tried the "DRM free" waters with Prince of Persia [http://torrentfreak.com/ubisoft-dumps-prince-of-persia-drm-remains-skeptical-081212/]. It didn't work too well, and so they skipped releasing DLC for the PC.

Back on topic, sorta: for those of you sticking with Windows 5 (2000, XP, MCE 2003/2005), you are going to be missing out on a bunch of foward looking technologies, like NCQ or WDDM. Also, if the account you use on a day to day basis has administrative privilages, then there is little difference between the security model you are using and the security model of (non-NT) Windows 4.

The "every other OS" thing is quite a leap of superstition. Do not forget that 95, 98, 98se, and ME where all windows 4. Now that there is broadly accessible broadband, Microsoft no longer re-releases the same OS four or five times. They release free service packs instead.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
LoganN said:
Valve does, though. Valve has a huge majority of the digital distrubition market when it comes to games. Estimates are in the high eighty percent. Plus, Valve's software is bundled with games, and required to be installed and used to play those games.

I don't see why they couldn't bundle their own software with their own software.
Because Steam isn't a requirement to run your PC, or play video games. Windows is. And if MS integrates a digital distribution system with their Operating System, which is used by over 90% of PC users, you can argue that that's an unfair use of their Operating System's vast marketshare to take over another market. Because how can Valve compete with a product directly integrated into the Windows operating system?