Worst game(s) you've ever completed

Ernil Menegil

Aug 2, 2010
Has anyone mentioned Lord of the Rings: The Third Age at all?

Terrible characters, terrible writing, shiny bling graphics for the PS2 at the time, but all in all it was horrible! The worst turn-based RPG I have ever played, everything so shitty that, to this day, it's the one game I have ever regretted buying.

Over 50 bloody euros it cost me, at that.

Never again.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Umbrella Chronicles
Stupid headshot indicator never worked...
Just a weird complaint, but the in UC you could get headshots if you aimed at this really small red circle at the top of their heads. But, wouldn't it be just as deadly a few inches down? Actually, if I managed to hit the base of the spine or medula, it would stop them cold. I'm not expecting scientific accuracy from a zombie game, but it still feels really broken.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Zhukov said:
Knights of the Old Republic. Ugly to look at, dull characters, dull dialogue, dull setting, laughable combat, nothing else of note. The absolute nadir was those two sequences where you wear a space/diving suit Twist and walk very, very, veeeeeeery slowly down empty corridors for absolutely no reason. Twist was kinda cool though.

Completed it because I'd been told it was some kind of wonderful gem from "the golden age of Bioware". No gold was forthcoming.
Wow...you're the first person I have heard of that hated KOTOR.

As for me, it's my #3 favourite game of all time behind the two N64 Zeldas!

Lil devils x said:
*Hides face in shame* Runescape was the single most awful game I have ever completed. Even though I hated the game with a passion, I maxed my character in all skills and then left. The worst part though was they kept making the game worse instead of better while I played it, to the point that I couldn't stand to even look at it while I played and had to play other games at the same time. I just had to finish it because I said I would. Then looking back I had to ask "Why the hell did I waste that much time on something so crappy?!"
Ok, I haven't played Runescape in 6 months but I don't think it's that bad...sure I don't tell anyone I played it but you have to admit that it's fun in some ways...sure, grinding levels isn't fun at all and you mostly afk those skills, but there's always other things you can do instead and when you get an awesome loot drop it's so good! You make bank :)

Runescape 3 actually looks pretty awesome I have to admit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U9sL9tloak[/youtube]

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Halo 4 was fucking terrible. It felt so broken for some reason. The story wasn't worth paying any attention to. The AI felt especially broken for a Halo game. I'm not the biggest Halo fan, but I really enjoyed playing Halo 3 multiple times. I only finished it because I was playing Co-op with a friend and it only took a couple hours. I guess I'm just not one of those people who gets a rock hard boner whenever Master Chief enters the room.

Hexadeximal

Jan 28, 2011
Shellshock 2. Someone thought adding zombies to Vietnam was a good idea, and I can't for the life of me decide why I thought it was worth seeing through to the end.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Dark Void sticks out in my mind, and Hitman Absolution. Hitman was kind of enjoyable, but at the end I was like "That's it?.
Also Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
Turok Evolution. I was young and naive and assumed that I wasn't playing the game properly when ammunition kept appearing in levels for guns that it took away from you, the enemies ran blindly into walls and the damage physics vanished after the first level. To think that once I could not see the limitations of lazy, rushed development... To think I was once a fool.....

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Silent Hill: Homecoming

I have never played a game that so clearly didn't "get it."
Within the first few minutes of game play there's enough material to piss off any fan of the series.

Within the first hour I was sick and tired of the combat system.

By the time the "twist" in the plot occurred I was really just playing partly out of morbid curiosity and partly out of a desire to feed my own anger.

The icing on the "fuck you" cake was the fact that on my first play through I got the UFO ending.

I might have actually preferred an ending that was just a video of the development team laughing at me with the words "Ha ha! That's 7 hours of your life you aren't getting back!"

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Batman Arkham Asylum. I know people seemed to love it, but damn. I rented it for my PS3 on a Saturday night and had nothing better to do, so I finished it. I'm not a fan of comic books, or brawlers, so maybe that's the reason.

The combat system was ok I guess, but the game was too easy and there's something about punching and kicking in videogames that makes me fall asleep, it just seems like such an archaic mechanic to base your whole game around in this day and age. The story also was so exciting that I forgot every single thing about it 2 days later, it was just a parade of "famous villains" for purposes of fan service.

It also had that special kind of sandboxing that I find utterly pointless, where it feels like a truck drove through the levels and dropped a bunch of unrelated shit everywhere and the game naturally expects you to search every nook and cranny and pick them up, as if your autism is taken for granted. Dumping a bunch of shit everywhere and telling me to pick them up doesn't really work for me, unless the sandboxing is tightly woven into the game mechanics themselves (like in Just Cause 2 for example), it's a really poor way to pad your game. Don't even get me started on the Croc boss. The Scarecrow segments looked great though.

Somehow I ended up buying Arkham City as well though, during the recent 5$ Steam sale, but haven't played it yet.

Emaruse

Aug 9, 2010
00slash00 said:
i think a lot of people are confusing worst game ever with game that didnt meet expectations.

worst game ive ever played? definitely final fantasy 12, without question. broken combat system, zero character development, barely existent story, and running through screen after screen of empty areas. literally the only reason i finished it was because my friend bet me i would give up because of how bad the game is
Sounds more like a flame attempt than actually talking about the game to me. And if this is the worst Final Fantasy ever, may I ask which one was the best one to you? Or which ones did better than this one? I'm honestly curious, because I'll agree with their not being much character development (Because Balthier, if I said that right, was fine how he is, and other than that, the others not improving much), I'll agree with the cliché story that rarely pops it's head in (Although the various parts of the game do try and explain some of the story. Try, not fully succeed) but I'm not that sure about your opinion on running through empty areas (Considering that each area had it's share of enemies, sounds like you were avoiding them), and the combat system? Now I know calling it broken is a flame attempt, it makes life easier than when compared to other Final Fantasy Games, and doesn't make it too easy like XIII. I personally don't see how the ability to micromanage how your party handles any battle situation at any time is a bad thing, or the fact that you can focus on you (The Party Leader) playing instead of having to hold everyone's hand (Which you have to do at the beginning, which is a huge chore, but once you get some extra gambit slots, life gets better at that point).

No offense to you, but you sound like someone who couldn't understand the combat system (More specifically, how the Gambit System aids in assisting you) and got beat a lot by enemies. However, if you just breezed on thru while trying to avoid the combat and just go for the main story, then you've missed quite a bit of the fun XII gives the player.

Still, to each their own opinion, and it's yours. That's just mine.
====================================================================
To Stay On-Topic: Another game that I really found awful that I just finished a while back when it was released (And yes, I bought day one too, which made me even more depressed) was Halo 4. Yes, it refined the wheel of how it's played, but everything else really, and I mean REALLY annoyed me. The first thing that annoyed me was the Quick-Time-Events for Halo 4, especially the last QTE you do in the storyline, however, that's all I'll say in that matter, since that's spoiler right there. Speaking of Storyline, it seems that Master Chief has once again become the Dues ex Machina Omni-Weapon (Or McGuffin, as one Escapist would say) and it's not really well explained in the storyline. Also... Wasn't the last three Halo Games supposed to bring the Elites and others of the Covenant to the Human side? To that, I say.... What douchebag thing did humanity do to ruin that friendship while MC was asleep?! (And yeah, books probably explains human stupidity on that one, but I don't bother with Halo books much). And the multiplayer was... uninspired for me, to say the least, just felt like Halo Reach with added Call of Duty stuff.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Emaruse said:
I LOOOOOOOOVED FF12, I've been defending it since day 1 when every single player was shitting on it, and will still gladly defend it. The gambit system allowed for a pretty unique way to implement very deep tactics in real time-ish combat, and it wasn't there just for kicks either, it required you to fully comprehend it in order to beat the harder bosses. I found the concept of being wiped out instantly by a boss, and then spending a moment to rethink the way my party behaves to the last detail, as a very fresh and attractive mechanic, a mix between strategy, puzzle and combat.

Ok, so the story and half of the characters sucked, and I am usually a very story-oriented player, if the story sucks the gameplay needs to be really extraordinary to keep me interested, and this game did. I completed it 100% and enjoyed every moment of it. Aside from the very refreshing open-ended world design, the sense of pride and joy that I felt when I finally managed to navigate the Great Crystal and come up with a viable strategy to beat Omega in the wee hours of the morning are among my all-time favorite gaming moments... Only to find out the following day that I had one more boss fight left. A fight that had taken people over 5 hours. This game truly did not fuck around.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
The new Tomb Raider, but that may be heavily influenced by my skyhigh expectations. I thought it was going to be some cool survivor like game, with a more characterized Croft, doing loads of clever jumping puzzles, but NOPE. Very little jumping to be done, puzzles that require 1+1=2 thinking and everything rests on the garish explosions, action sequences and lots and lots of shooting. The game does score some points for setting a dark and gritty atmosphere, but that's all. Everyone but Lara is completely forgettable, the story's a cookiecutter and Lara herself seems enormously inconsistent. I mean, she feels bad about killing a deer for food, but she also sets cultists on fire without so much as a blink. And why the HELL did the game let us hunt that deer in the first place if that potentially brilliant gameplay addition never sees the daylight again after that? Who are these people and why should I care? Can I stop killing now, please? I just want to do some sweet jumps..

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
neppakyo said:
Dragon Age 2

The combat was horrible, repetitive, and boring. The world it self was bland and empty. The story itself blew chunks. I had to force myself to complete the fucking game, and when i was done I used the disc as a coaster for awhile till I finally just snapped it and threw it away.

It felt like a shittier mass effect.
And thank you for finally reminding me of a game I disliked/hated and played to completion anyway. Dear GOD DAII, WHY BIOWARE WHY!? And I have to replay it AGAIN to get my "perfect" run in for Inquisition... Goddammit.

themind

Jan 22, 2012
Stuntman: Ignition. Repetitive. Repetitive, Repetitive, Repetitive, Repetitive, Repetitive, Repetitive, Repetitive. It is nauseating to think that I completed this game, because it was such a crock of shit. I'd rather shit out a spool of barbed wire than ever play it again, truly a piece of shit extraordinaire. You just keep doing the same stunt scene over and over again, there is no thrill, no sense of accomplishment, it was awful.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
an annoyed writer said:
Some of the responses that I'm seeing here make me laugh my ass off. Halo? Assassin's Creed? Dragon Age? Come on man! You really haven't touched some of the deeper, darker depths of gaming hell. Here, let me present one of the worst ones I've played, and it's not even the worst I've touched:

Everything was broke as fuck, the levels were poorly designed, the character models resembled a kid's mediocre drawing of the toys, the music was looped as fuck, the textures were dated, it had aneurism-inducing voice acting, etc. It was so bad that I developed harsher standards for my games. It also helped develop a more critical eye towards EA for me. This was around 2003.
Sweet spider-monkey Jesus, you've just brought back some terrible gaming memories. I played the GBA port of this game, so maybe it was different enough from the PS2 version not to be quite as bad . . . but it was still SO. FUCKING. BAD. And to think, I'd forgotten about this game until you brought it up. Curse you, my psyche isn't prepared for this!

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
V1rax said:
I'm going to get shit on for this but: Red Dead Redemption.

IMO it's a terrible game that just annoyed me every step of the way, but once I start a game I need to finish it.
I'm gonna agree with you on that one. I fucking hated Red Dead Redemption. Mainly due to the repetitive missions, boring world and the fact that you had to constantly mash A or X to get your horse to go faster which hurt my thumb after awhile.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Emaruse said:
wait, so not liking the combat is a flame attempt? im sorry if you really liked final fantasy 12 but i dont understand how you're coming to the conclusion that im just trolling. in the future, id appreciate it if you asked me why i felt a certain way, before instantly accusing me of being a troll. no, i didnt skip any battles, i refused to even use chocobos, because they would cause me to skip past enemies. when i said empty screens, i meant just crossing across expanses where there was nothing to do and which seemed to exist for the sole purpose of grinding levels.

now the combat i felt was broken. sorry if you disagree but thats how i feel. when it worked, my presence there wasnt required. when it didnt, i have to manually control my characters to make sure they didnt randomly stop doing their assigned roles. i cant count how many times a character would just get stuck in an animation and just stop doing their job. i had to manually control all healers because half the time they would get halfway through the healing animation and then just freeze there. thats when the combat didnt work. when it did work, it was just boring because the computer just played the game for you. in the final battle i actually set the controller down and left to make myself a sandwich. i came back to find my characters still fighting and doing just fine. people complain that final fantasy 13 was too easy and simplistic but at least for bosses and later battles you had to constantly jump between paradigms. in 12 you just set up your gambits and let the computer play for you. the only time you need to do anything is if your characters freeze up and you have to manually control them to get them to rejoin the battle.

honestly, ive never understood why gamers constantly feel they they need to debate with people over liking or disliking a game, as if the opinions of other people affects their ability to enjoy the game. no game is universally loved or hated. the fact that i disliked the combat system doesnt mean that im trolling or that i didnt get it or whatever, it simply means my opinion of the combat system differs from your opinion. thats all

as far as my favorite final fantasy game...7 will always hold a place in my heart because it was the first one i ever finished but id say probably 10. i liked how you could switch characters on the fly and how certain characters were needed for certain enemies. it was one of the few final fantasy games or even rpgs in general, where i used every character and didnt just pick a team and stick with it for the whole game. i cant say the characters were particularly memorable, but i did really like the story

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Shax said:
an annoyed writer said:
Some of the responses that I'm seeing here make me laugh my ass off. Halo? Assassin's Creed? Dragon Age? Come on man! You really haven't touched some of the deeper, darker depths of gaming hell. Here, let me present one of the worst ones I've played, and it's not even the worst I've touched:

Everything was broke as fuck, the levels were poorly designed, the character models resembled a kid's mediocre drawing of the toys, the music was looped as fuck, the textures were dated, it had aneurism-inducing voice acting, etc. It was so bad that I developed harsher standards for my games. It also helped develop a more critical eye towards EA for me. This was around 2003.
Sweet spider-monkey Jesus, you've just brought back some terrible gaming memories. I played the GBA port of this game, so maybe it was different enough from the PS2 version not to be quite as bad . . . but it was still SO. FUCKING. BAD. And to think, I'd forgotten about this game until you brought it up. Curse you, my psyche isn't prepared for this!
And that is exactly why I find these people calling Halo, COD, Ass Creed, Dragon Age, and other big AAA releases to be their worst. I mean, at least those games have SOME sort of production values. Sure, they're hardly flawless, but worst ever? You must be a bunch of rich bastards, because this is like calling a Cadillac "THE WORST CAR EVAR" when you've only been driving Bentleys and Rolls Royces. You haven't seen the shit that fucking Chery Automobile Company puts out, with blatant copying, disregarding of safety, and overall poor craftsmanship which is not too dissimilar to these cheap cash-ins. They're created to get a quick buck, and it shows. That's why that game is my worst-ever.