Worst game(s) you've ever completed

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Holy Magic Century, aka Quest 64. In retrospect it's not that bad a game, but I hated every second playing through it.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I have slogged my way through the gaming sewer that is Alien Colonial Marines, that'll serve me right for pre-ordering. Where to start with the game, dated graphics, the W-Y mercenaries, innaccurate guns and the phoned in voice acting. The multiplayer was OK - but the single player mode was just plain dreadful.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Mirror's Edge. Where the visuals weren't blindingly white, they were horrible. Where the combat wasn't a frustrating mess, it was dull. Where the story wasn't cliche and bland, it was flat out stupid. Where the gameplay wasn't unbearable... well, no, the gameplay was never unbearable.

I can't think of any game I've played to completion outside of Mirror's Edge that I would consider devoid of redeeming qualities. Hell, there are games I never even bothered to finish that were miles above that atrocious game. Mirror's Edge holds a spot as one of the worst things I've ever played altogether.

Forobryt

Dec 14, 2012
Mycroft Holmes said:
Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

And I've played some pretty bad games in my time. It's like what would happen if a 13 year old's fan fic got turned into a videogame.
Now to be fair it was a decent story, until the WTF powers to run on walls etc came out of nowhere. Had hoped that the main character was ust insane and simply forgot what he did at the beginning but no ....MAGIC ALIENS !

OT: Hinterland oh good god is it a boring game. It had promise when i brought it, a mix of rpg and city building, randomised maps chance to have a dragon. But the city building mechanic is basic, place building now ignore it.
The rpg system was worse than some rpg maker games ive seen, kill things gain levels and each level choose which of the 3 things to put a point in, was just an abitrary system that had no actual value for the game. One of the achievements is win being level 1 so its not even needed.
And the dragon, well atleast the dragon was ok, terrible in combat but was cool to have in a village.

Vozati

Jun 8, 2010
Call of Duty: World at War. Asides from a few bsod errors I had with that game you alternate between two completely unrelated campaigin but the game is ruined by a 200 something round heavy machine gun that fires with pinpoint accuracry on its first shot(s) with no start up. Finding it means you can clear the mission without ever reloading again while killing everyone in one shot or small burst.

Phantasy Star Online: Clunky controls. Stupid Mash A three times combat. Long levels of clearing room after freaking room of the same 4 enemies in that area. Bosses with shitty camera angles and really lame attacks that knockdown (if not kill you) that are hard to dodge. Beating the games unlocks a new difficulty so you can start all over and do it again.

Star Wars Rouge Squadron 3 Rebel Strike: Just ugh Anytime you're not piloting something that flies. God damn.

Zarifix

Jun 2, 2013
Army of TWO: The Devil's Cartel. The game was a huge step backwards in the series, 40 day had done everything better. It had Decent graphics at best, a terrible/ predictable story, poor voice acting, no character "chemistry" and overkill mode made the games "hard parts" far too easy.

And Gears of War: Judgement. This game ruined the series for me, I loved Gears of war, then this filth came along and turned the campaign to crap, and ruined the combat. Unfortunately I bought this the first day, not realizing what they would do to the game. They even ruined the Cole Train.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Holy shit Batman. People are saying Mirror's Edge, Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Saints Row: The Third, the first Mass Effect... You people have not even grazed the depths of gaming hell...
Let me tell you about a Nintendo DS cartridge entitled Lego Star Wars II... It was bloody awful. A completely broken, piece of shite game. Full of graphical and physical bugs and whatnot.

The-Bas

May 6, 2011
L.A. Noire.

Would have been a great game if they did some Mass Effect like dialog options, skipped the traffic light interrogation and the face capturing gimmick.
Also combat, running, driving, story and end fight blows.

Almost everything about L.A. Noire pissed me off, except the aesthetics. Can not believe Rockstar put their name on the box.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Clearly there are a lot of prideful maschoists on this forum. Would explain the bitterness.

That being said, probably Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Much as I did like the game, it felt like a step back from AC2 - which I massively enjoyed - and towards the end it felt like eating white bread in a bath.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Forobryt said:
Now to be fair it was a decent story, until the WTF powers to run on walls etc came out of nowhere. Had hoped that the main character was ust insane and simply forgot what he did at the beginning but no ....MAGIC ALIENS !
It was a B grade movie that rapidly descended into complete retardation. It wasn't just the random transformation to neo. It was pretty much everything from the halfway mark on. He becomes a cyborg for no reason. Robots randomly come out of nowhere. There's Mayans for some reason.

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
Far Cry 2. I think it was mentioned earlier, I was pretty shocked to find there was another half of the map I hadn't been to yet which practically consisted of everything the first half had...with no changes. Sure the scenery had changed but by God did the game become boring at that point. I was almost glad when it was over.

Feb 9, 2011
I don't know about worst game of all time for me, so I'll go with worst game I've recently beat, which would be the original Bioshock. It started off average, became pretty fun, then just dive bombed at the end and all I wanted to do was end it so I could say I finished it.

I figured I would enjoy the series so I picked up the first two for cheap and I'm shocked how much I disliked it. The game really seemed right up my alley. I'm not sure if I even want to touch the second one. *sad face* :/

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
KefkaCultist said:
Fuck that game and I cannot see how anyone defends it.
The only good thing in the game was the fast paced combat.......but even then it made the cardinal sin of making you control only one party member at a time. Persona 3 did this but at least everything else was diamond-cut quality. FF13 had the worst story and characters I have ever encountered in a JRPG.

Bad dungeons. Copy-pasted characters and story from the rest of the FF franchise. It felt like it was made by marketers than Video game designers trying to put all the most notable parts of FF but failing to make them stick.

The only character I liked in the end was Lighting but that was she punched Snow. Hated him even more than Vaan at least I could hide him away from the main party.

Completed the story, got max levels by exploiting a hunt in the Gran Pulse village :s

I want my 30 hours back.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Hmmm. That's kind of a tough one. I want to say Prototype, because it really wasn't a good game at all, but....Well, at the same time, I did have a lot of fun playing it. What can I say? Jumping out of an exploding helicopter and breaking your fall by hijacking ANOTHER helicopter out of midair is really, really fun.

NO WAIT, I GOT IT! Black Ops 2. I didn't BUY the game myself. Fuck no. (Wait for it, mods...) My dad did. He's a very casual gamer. He basically just grabs a new military FPS every now and then, and that usually includes the latest Call of Duty, although even he didn't finish this one. So yeah. I borrowed it from him. Honestly, it's a little sad seeing the people over at Treyarch and/or Infinity Ward trying to stretch their narrative muscles. Almost.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

I forced myself to play it because I am a die hard Zelda fan, but even from the start I knew I would hate this game. Funny, I was also one of the few people who originally liked the new art style.

Wind Waker was basically an entire game almost centered around the most obnoxious and tedious parts of every 3D Zelda; empty nothingness and excessive story and characters I care nothing about. I remember when Zelda started with "It's dangerous to go alone, take this!". That's all that's needed.... that's all I want. I love Twilight Princess, but the whole first hour of the game still makes me wince today. I just want to get to the world exploration, dungeons and the endless search for items. Wind Waker is the worse Zelda for this, and completing it was utter agony for me.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
wooty said:
Halo 3. The build up and the advert were all about a massive battle on Earth, the chief sacrificing himself after being taken by a brute, massive scale for a full on invasion of earth, in the midst of a covenant civil war, fighting for our very survival.............

What we got, was a few marines in the desert, a piss easy campaign (even on legendary) a few dumbass brutes as enemies, a quicktime event boss and an ending similar to the first game. All overshadowed by a multiplayer. I actually did snap the disk once I'd finished with the campaign.

I was so stoked for this thing when it came out, but where in the living fuck was all this in the actual game?!

Halo 3 was rushed beyond believe, half the campaign got canned (and later reimagined in 4). One of the few Halo games I can't stand either.
Halo 2 was the rushed one, not 3.

OT: Fifty Cent: Blood On The Sand. Just a repetitive, bland, kinda racist piece of shit that makes me wonder whether or not the man should be sectioned.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
WaitWHAT said:
Toxic Sniper said:
I played that game too. I'm surprised I've suppressed the memories. The worst part is that they took my favorite Toa, Pohatu, a guy with super speed and immense strength, and threw him into a mine cart. What the hell? He lives in the desert, not underground, so why did they put him in a freaking mine cart? And why does he shoot lasers from his hands instead of kicking rocks or throwing climbing claws?
Oh dear God. The fucking minecart section. That had to be the worst section of that entire game. You were on a constant timer for the level, and if you make a single mistake, you would die and have to re-start the level. And the worst part? The trailer showed him doing some cooling jumping around and climbing over rocks, which you only do for about 1 minute at the very start of the level. Ugh. Talk about terrible game design.
Indeed. Anyone that thinks more games need controller-chucking frustration (read: MAEK IT HAWRDUR!) needs to play that section of the game. It was like lego: battletoads and if you didn't have the reflexes, you got canned. I still don't know how I got past that level, but when I did I was ready to break the PS2.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:
I can't think of any game I've played to completion outside of Mirror's Edge that I would consider devoid of redeeming qualities. Hell, there are games I never even bothered to finish that were miles above that atrocious game. Mirror's Edge holds a spot as one of the worst things I've ever played altogether.
I'm with you on this one. Mirror's Edge was probably the last game I bought, didn't like much and still ploughed through stubbornly, not wanting to give up on it. The moment the first teenage-internet-flash-animator flavour narration clip popped up, I knew this was going to be a harsh ride. I actually liked parts of the game play, I liked the innovation, I liked quite a lot of the actual technical aspects of it. The game I liked would probably have fit on a couple of floppy disks, though.

The visual design, though, was pretty much the beginning of my allergy to anything and everything white. But, as I said, I managed to play through it, I went for all the time trials and whatnot, and still I felt like this thing was sucking me dry of time and joy and... everything.

A lot of other really, properly bad games I never finished. I just sold them on or torched them on a pyre. Eventually, I stopped buying games from most major publishers before I got confirmation of a game to be known good and generally OK, and that has kept me somewhat happy ever since. I ended up going back - once again - to my retro stash, hunting down games I have never owned before and, whaddyaknow, some of the lesser known old games offer plenty more fun and entertainment than a lot of the current sensory overload on a disc.