Worst reason you ever heard for not liking a band.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
CharlieOfNuts said:
Right, worst reason I've ever heard...

"It's too mainstream."

Not liking a certain type of music because a lot of people listens to it is, in my humble opinion, wrong.
If their complaint is that they're well-known and therefore don't have any indie cred, then yeah, that's retarded. On the other hand, I have personally made this exact complaint about bands like Acres of Lions [http://www.myspace.com/acresoflions], who sound like every other shitty pop-punk band on the radio. It's manufactured, boring, formulaic, inoffensive, and clearly designed for nothing other than mass appeal - it's too mainstream. I think that's a completely legitimate complaint.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Because their emo...

Seriously, that excuse (not reason) pains me. I listen to alot of punk/emo/rock/metal and I like it all because of the music. The instrumentals in most bands are what I am drawn to.

speedcoreXdandy

Nov 4, 2008
Most of people I know seem to hate music just because it's not popular, I wish people would learn to think for themselves.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
pimppeter2 said:
TundraWolf said:
Worst reason I've ever heard?

"They sold out."

I could literally rant about this for hours, but I won't, because I don't want to give myself a hernia.
This
Third. People who say this cant take the fact that the band in question became popular for the simple reason that alot of people like them because their good. Im guessing that if alot of people like said band, supporting it wont cater to the misplaced sense of superiority they desire. So they will always stick with underground bands.

People are herd animals. Nobody is unique. If you think you are, look around and youll find alot of people who look like you, dress like you and think like you. Why not like something together instead of being a holier-than-thou prick about personal taste?

dnnydllr

Apr 5, 2009
Nigh Invulnerable said:
dnnydllr said:
I heard someone say they don't like Steve Vai because he moves " up and down the neck to much." Those extra frets are there for a reason.................
I dislike Vai for basically the same reason, but it has less to do with the number of frets he uses and more to do with the fact that most of his songs seem purely like exercises in music theory with no soul. Don't tell me to listen to "For the love of God" or anything like that. I've given Vai a listen, and the dude can barely write a good riff to save his life.
That's why he's a shredder. He doesn't need to write good riffs, because shredding isn't about riffing. And I would have suggested "I'm the hell out of here."

ShortCommings

Jan 5, 2009
Mykonos said:
"Radiohead Sucks."

"What? Why do you say that?"

"Because they're nothing like Coldplay."

"Get out."
let kill coldplay seriously, bunch of hypocriticle wanktards

radiohead ftw though

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheTygerfire said:
Symp4thy said:
I'm a big country fan, and the one I hear all the time is, "country is just guys singing about their truck and their dog dying." Of course I used to say I hated country too, until I actually listened to it.
But it basically is the exact same song over and over. Someone cheated on someone else, trucks, drinking, hell there are even songs about songs.
Listen to Rascal Flatts' "Backwards". You'll like it. A lot.

Toners

May 27, 2009
when people say "mainstream music", it's usually an elitist metalhead who enjoys music for the technicality and showmanship, rather than a bog standard pop song which, to be quite honest, anyone could churn out. However, some of the things most metalheads claim to be mainstream are actually damn good, because music isn't just about how musically sound it is, it's about the sound the music makes, and how it makes you feel. For a metalhead to claim this, they've got to be literally foaming at the mouth for classical music, and let's be honest, most of them don't ;) I like the best of both worlds ^.^
worst excuse for not liking a song was probably "it's a bit loud"... well if it's a bit loud for you... turn it down perhaps? me, i'll turn it the hell up!

ShortCommings

Jan 5, 2009
'i dont like sublime'
'why not?'
'they promote date rape'
'...you use those ears as anything other than novelty hat supporters?'

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
egwidalin said:
I have always been a big fan of the metal genre, and im very much growing tired of people saying its just a bunch of yelling and screaming. They are angry people, duh, theyre supposed to yell and scream! Besides, it isnt even that bad, most of it is quite understandable if u actually take the time to listen to it :( I really need to find some new freinds that appreciate metal and not listen to the sissy crap that my current friends like like :p

Hey I like metal!!!

Anyway, someone once told me that they didn't like Machine Head because it was pussy emo.

I subsequently laughed in their face.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
People who never give anything a chance are usually un-intelligent and low on culture.

TyphoidMary

May 27, 2009
"They sold out"

"Metal bands can't be fronted by a woman, that's not Metal."

"They're wearing eyeliner"

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
"I don't like them because the lead singer is fat" I heard this and I thought grrrr meatloaf go bite that girls face off.

Weapon_Master_Jedi

May 23, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
"Hey, do you like (Insert Band-Name Here)?"

"No..."

"Why not?"

"Because now everyone likes them..."

-_-
I've known someone who gave that exact reason. Like, for a long time she was obsessed with My Chemical Romance (fucking GAG), but then she said that she didn't like them, and I was all "Wait, what caused you to finally figure out they were shit?" and she responded "They've just gotten too popular now."

She's the same way with old bands, too. She says she can't like bands that are so popular that 'everyone' is supposed to like them. And missing out on The Who and AC/DC just because they're popular is just dumb. Some things are popular for a reason, after all.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
My friend said once, "you listen to this music?"
i said "yeah."
he then says "man this music blows."
i said "why."
he said "man this is stonner music, thats why!"

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Hating music because of the genre, because the band are old and hating them because they're 'too mainstream' are all ones that bug me.
The worst reason I've ever heard, though, was someone not liking a band because one of their songs appeared on a game they didn't like (I think it was Faith No More - they had a song on Tony Hawk's Underground 2).