Worst reason you ever heard for not liking a band.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
"No I don't like that band."
"Why not?"
"I've never heard anything by them."

I was stunned

Weapon_Master_Jedi

May 23, 2009
Honestly, I make a lot of blanket statements about music genres sucking, but I still give it a chance.

For a change, I'm gonna go ahead and give people a good reason why I don't like certain music: Because it has no emotional content to which I can react. That's my excuse for most music I dislike.

One of the worst I've heard, though, was "They don't support the bands I like."

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
Weapon_Master_Jedi said:
PersianLlama said:
"They're old"

Who cares? Black Sabbath is still 9000% awesome.
I disagree. The percentage of awesome that is Black Sabbath is? *clears throat*

OVER 9000!!!!!
You are correct sir, I apologize for posting misinformation.

Blood980

Apr 23, 2009
Davey Woo said:
"No I don't like that band."
"Why not?"
"I've never heard anything by them."

I was stunned
well, as you dont give the context in which the person said that. i'd have to agree with him, how can u like something you've never seen/heard? that being, if they were indiferant, if they were being prejudice then thats just silly.

TopHatTim

Nov 8, 2008
Mykonos said:
"Radiohead Sucks."

"What? Why do you say that?"

"Because they're nothing like Coldplay."

"Get out."
jesus christ...

lmao the worst ive heard is..

me: yeah i listen to alexisonfire
other guy: whos the lead singer?
me: dallas green why?
other guy: yeah they suck mad dick
me: why?
other guy: becuase the guy has a colour in his name.
me: your an idiot you know that.

Craig FTW

Mar 25, 2009
'that band sucks cause they're stupid emos!'

'you just say that cause they wear alot of black?'

'yeah they're dumb fucking girly emo kids so they suck'

'have you ever heard a song by them?'

'no'

i go thru this a lot. suckiness based on apparel is just stupid. i love my skinny jeans and long hair.. idc anyone can like what they want but i HATE country and most rap/hip hop. i respect rap but i don't like it. and anything from disney just all out sucks.

i love post hardcore and screamo that music's amazing =]

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
i've heard this reason, but i don't follow it

"avenged sevenfold isn't even close to sounding like fall out boy, they suck"

chunkydude84

Feb 1, 2009
dogstile said:
i've heard this reason, but i don't follow it

"avenged sevenfold isn't even close to sounding like fall out boy, they suck"
This statement just flat out confuses me.

eelel

May 29, 2009
Symp4thy said:
I'm a big country fan, and the one I hear all the time is, "country is just guys singing about their truck and their dog dying." Of course I used to say I hated country too, until I actually listened to it.
i totally disagree with that modern countries is a bought trucks dogs and herding cattle if u want to listen to good country than listen to the classics that had depth to it and was good my problem with a lot of modern music, especial main stream rap and modern country, is that it is becoming so cookie cutter what happend to all of the good stuff like kraftwerk and others like them who tried to make original and new stuff kraftwerk are one of the earlest elctronic music groups and pionered music this is what is missing from todays music and is what needs to change

Lukirre

Feb 24, 2009
I was talking about Tool one day.
And yet another one of those egotistical "classic" hard rock/metal came into the conversation.

You know the one I'm talking about.
The one who refuses to listen to anything other than Zeppelin and AC/DC, simply because they think of them as...well, gods.

Anyways, he walked up to me to tell me that Tool sucked.

"...And why do you think that?"

"Dude, Zeppelin is way better."

That was it.
He didn't actually tell me why he thought they sucked.
But apparently he dislikes them because he...prefers another band.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Panken said:
"That band is from Europe, so they suck."
That has to be the most downright wrong statement I've ever, EVER heard. I hope you punched them.

I can name about 100 great bands that come from the UK alone.

vampyricvoid

Jul 24, 2008
"It's devil's music"
"It's nothing but a guy screaming into the microphone"
"It sounds exactly the same as any other [insert genre] song"

For the most part (as if you couldn't guess), these all apply to people who don't know anything about metal. The only reason why I think these are the worst reasons I've ever heard for not liking a band is because they are false. In fact, they are quite the opposite. I thought the earlier mentioned "because he's white" one was pretty damn bad, but it's unfortunately true.
Quote 1: It it ABSOLUTELY not devil's music, so long as you don't venture into the realm of satanic black metal bands. Otherwise, there are many bands which are religious. The part that pisses me off is that one of my not-so-close friends criticized me for wearing my Symphony X - Paradise Lost t-shirt from the concert I went to and said that it was all about demons... The CD is based on an epic poem by John Milton, in which good triumphs in the end.
Quote 2: There is so much more than the vocalist. Even just justifying the vocalists, progressive and power metal each don't contain much screaming, yet much more singing. Just check out Suspyre, Sonata Arctica, Serenity, Kamelot, or Epica. Beyond the vocalists, the skill of the instrumentalists combined with the great compositional skills required to write good progressive or power metal pieces gives this genre much more than screaming into a microphone.
Quote 3: I don't know where to begin... The few songs that sound similar only sound similar because they are reprises of earlier tracks, made similar on purpose. Examples are About to Crash and About to Crash (reprise) by Dream Theater (which are purposely similar due to them talking about the same subject from a different point of view), or Dream Theater's opening song to Metropolis: Part II (Scenes From a Memory), Regression, and the fact that it has some similar lyrics to the end of the penultimate song, The Spirit Carries On. Good metal bands don't cheat their listeners by sneaking in exactly the same song in another key with new lyrics.

Also, on the topic of mainstream... The reason some people don't like mainstream music is because many bands go mainstream just to get attention or money, not to create meaningful beautiful music. It is one thing to set a trend, but another to follow it for its hollow benefits. That is why I like the avante-garde (but that's a conversation for another day).

There, I'm done with my rant. Hope you guys like it.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
When I don't like something, it's due to it being not to my tastes. Nothing more, and nothing less. My friends are the same way, so I don't have a funny story to share...