Would you date your avatar?

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
EternallyBored said:
Boris Goodenough said:
EternallyBored said:
Depends, the OP only specified, a date, not that we had to keep dating, or that sex was ever expected at any point in time, the number of people interpreting this topic as "will I have sex with my avatar" seem to be making massive assumptions that aren't in the OP. If we are talking only about a date, dinner and a movie, kind of thing, with no expectation of followup, then most of the people saying yes aren't really being that weird, I'm heterosexual, but the chance to hang out with awesome fictional or real characters and people for a night would allow me to bend my normal preferences quite a lot. If we extrapolate the scenario to a full relationship with sex, marriage, and weird half-human, half-whatever kids then yeah, that narrows down what most people are going to say yes too.

I think that's why we are seeing some variability in the answers here, some people are imagining it as just a single date, basically an outing with a little romantic tension, other people are imagining an entire relationship, that the date is going to lead to further dates and eventually marriage.

There's also some people assuming they have a choice in the matter, the OP states that the character in your avatar WANTS to date you. Some of the people saying no are probably going to find themselves going whether they like it or not, especially anyone with crazy, powerful, or villainous avatars. God help you if they are all 3.
It's just that I couldn't bring myself to go on a date with someone I am not attracted to. And I can't have sex with someone I am not attracted to.
Also not everyone believes in marriage as a final stepping stone for a relationship, as the only thing that it provides above not being married is tax benefits and certain legal benefits in some(a lot) countries and a social construct that it's "oh so romantic!".
(I am finding this far less serious than I leading on).
If a fictional character drops in from another universe and says they are only going to be there for a single day and want to spend it with me showing them around or going out to dinner, and there's no sex expected at the end of it (I wouldn't be comfortable with a first date that ended in sex, even if I was wildly attracted to them), then I would probably be willing to bend my rules on attraction for a single night for a once in a lifetime opportunity. If said character was, say, here for a long-term relationship then yes, rules of attraction apply, and I would expect far more people saying no to opposite/ same gender or different species avatars.

As for marriage, eh, it was a throwaway comment to talk about people treating this scenario as a long term relationship despite that not being mentioned in the OP. Same outcome either way, a long-term relationship generally means there's gotta be some attraction or at least the ability to connect on an emotional level.

I'm not taking it very seriously either, just commenting on how many people seem to be reading the title of the thread not as "Would you date your avatar?" and more treating it as, "Would you fuck your avatar?".
Well, the OP never said anything about a single day. And "date" for almost everyone in the world implies romantic involvement, not just a hang out session, and romance almost always requires physical attraction. While sex (or even kissing) may not be expected for a first date beginning a romantic relationship is. And I for one wouldn't want to lead on poor little Yumetarō if I had no romantic intentions. That would just be mean.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Nouw said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
This is the coolest post I've read in a while. Kudos to you good sir n_______n
I've quite possibly experienced the most emotionally traumatizing and embarrassing rejection handed down by one of my favorite characters in all of video gaming... and you find this amusing?

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Shame on you, sir.
:D

[sub]I need to seriously start thinking about spending less time on tumblr...[/sub]

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
Would I date Treguard of Dunshelm? No, as a heterosexual male. Although he has a magnificent beard, and if he was willing to compromise for an epic night of dungeon-crawling, then hell yes!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I'd date him, the two above him and probably the next person in line as well.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
EeveeElectro said:
While Jack is rather lovely, I have had sex with very skinny men in the past and it feels terrible and cold and lacking so I'll pass.

But my normal Harley Quinn avtar? HELL YES~~~~~
Heyyyy...

I'm a fairly skinny guy. :(

OT: Not sure how it's possible to have a romantic/sexual relation with four TIE Fighters, but I'd sure as hell find out how.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Chemical Alia said:
Let's be reasonable, who wouldn't want John Locke to be their husbando-chan?
Wait, I doubt that you hated anime so why the horrible imitation Japanese?

On topic, Dating Izanagi, no. Dating Narukami, I am a guy so no. The Persona 4 cast though has one I really want to date: Naoto

I really like Naoto

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
Oh hells yes.

He's sexy, smart, sweet, funny, and caring.

(Also, a shameless selfie.)

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Honestly, Yes

Looks aren't everything, besides, she's got to be the sweetest and cutest female character I've seen in anime

Hambers

Jan 25, 2012
I couldn't honestly see it being a healthy relationship. Constant jibes about how I were "dust in cosmic wind" and a blatant disdain for my entire species. In the end it'd work out in one of three ways, I'd wind up controlling them, we'd merge into one being or one of us would destroy the other.

Also, you could debate whether I'm debating them or the millions of sentient beings that were pulped up to create them. Is that a monogamous relationship?

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
A perverted, panty-stealing, chain-smoking ermine? I think I'll pass. Not big into the furry scene anyway. Prefer at least *mostly* humanoid.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Considering mine's of a young boy and I'm a thirty year old man....

Uh, no. Besides being creepy, immoral, and just plain gross, I'd rather not end up on an FBI watch list.