Wow... just... wow.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Reading the article, it seems more like it was passed to make sure corporations don't make microchiping their employees mandatory and a few religious political figures drew some potential connections to how this could be the Mark of the Beast and these choice quotes got leaked.

I really don't think that a bill would be introduced to a state Senate that basically read like "We feel that this technology will usher in the Apocolypse and be used by Satan, so we feel that banning it is appropriate." That is unless the state senate was controled by the New Morality, but that happens like twenty or thirty years in the future according to Ben Bova, and if that happens, I'm going to the Moon so I can get imortality nanobots.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
On Wednesday, Virginia's House of Delegates passed a bill that forbids companies from forcing their employees to be implanted with tracking devices

Regardless of religious connotations, I would be glad that the government is not going to allow companies to forcibly put tracking devices in their employees.

Of course, the religion thing is crazy. This should just be obvious.

Now if only people in other countries understood that the religious crazies tend to live in the South. The rest of us are relatively normal.

Rangergord

Jan 13, 2010
My cat has a ID chip...its pure evil!!!! It controls my mind, make me do anything it commands me to. Feed it, give it water, play with string, save boxes for it to sleep in. Its the future of mankind. Oh no the master is coming, the cat is coming....got to go...it needs a lap to sit on...I must obey.

Otherwise I agree with other comments if this protects me against my company saying you new contract says you must be tagged to worked, I agree. Prediction: in other places Wal-Mart will be the first company to gain the ability to do this to employees.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Wow!

As stupid as this is, we shouldn't let it get to us.

Eventually someone will come along and see that this is a pointless legislation.

And if not, it isn't a huge deal anyway

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
Well. This is new. I;m gonna be smart for a second so bear with me. Nowhere in the bible does it say that we will have to get the mark of the beast before the rapture and the end times and yadda yadda. From what I know it will only happen when the antichrist has risen to power and the world is in shambles. So cool your jets ladies. Sometimes politicians confuse me.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
RFID debate aside, they must have hot and cold running stupid in the pipes to base legislation on what's not only biblical doctrine but actually a modern perversion of biblical doctrine. Those guys better watch their step. If they keep producing sheeple, they'll find themselves one sacred Kool Aid preparation away from losing a lot of supporters.

Suddenly, I find myself more in favor of RFID than I was before. If corrupt evangelical interests are against it, there must be a real good reason for it.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I, for one, heartily applaud the religious wackos for taking a firm stance against the forces of oppression. What I don't understand is why half the people here seem to be for corporations having the ability to force people to have microchips implanted in them. What the heck?

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Oh how I want to rant at the anti theist here but I shall refrain. One lawmaker(cole) says something about religion and suddenly it's craziness. Completely ignoring the civil liberties win/rationale for the law... Not to mention the unnecessary stab at the south in the OP...

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that RFID chips that you can use to buy things, or in place of an ID, are a good thing? As long as they're voluntary, I see no problem. (And special ones that allow satellite tracking could be implanted in, say, sex offenders, or those under house arrest.)

P.S.: to those writing this legislation, if these were the end times, NO ONE would have a choice in the matter, and your bill would never pass.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
sylekage said:
Well. This is new. I;m gonna be smart for a second so bear with me. Nowhere in the bible does it say that we will have to get the mark of the beast before the rapture and the end times and yadda yadda. From what I know it will only happen when the antichrist has risen to power and the world is in shambles. So cool your jets ladies. Sometimes politicians confuse me.
I thought there was a huge prophecy that the devil will link us all through something?

Anyway, I find it good that these chips have been outlawed for the moment. Though, it's only a matter of time before mechanical implants are even more common.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
mklnjbh said:
http://rawstory.com/2010/02/virginia-passes-law-banning-chip-implants-mark-beast/

This is why I wake up in the morning glad I don't live in the Southern United States. I am not a fan of microchips in humans, nanomachines in our brains and computers the size of a pin-point, but this just blows me away.

Thoughts?
The word nanomachines deserves a one phrase answer....Metal...Gear?

OT, this is pretty mental, maybe it really is a bit of la le lu le lo
Sorry, been playing it recently

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
mklnjbh said:
http://rawstory.com/2010/02/virginia-passes-law-banning-chip-implants-mark-beast/

This is why I wake up in the morning glad I don't live in the Southern United States. I am not a fan of microchips in humans, nanomachines in our brains and computers the size of a pin-point, but this just blows me away.

Thoughts?
The Raw Story is a left-leaning news and politics weblog[1] founded in 2004. [...] the site is described by Newsweek as, "Muck, raked: If you're looking for alleged GOP malfeasance, the folks at rawstory.com are frequently scooping the mainstream media."[3]
How about you start out by providing a real source?

Seriously though, read in-between the deceptive wording. The law they passed "forbids companies from forcing their employees to be implanted with tracking devices". The fact that the article rants on and on about an off-hand remark by the delegate and comments from random evangelical websites is a complete red-herring.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
Dommyboy said:
sylekage said:
I thought there was a huge prophecy that the devil will link us all through something?

Anyway, I find it good that these chips have been outlawed for the moment. Though, it's only a matter of time before mechanical implants are even more common.

I wouldn't exactly say connected, but people would have to take the mark, whether on the forehead or wrist, to be able to move about freely, and buy and sell, and basically live. It might be a computer chip under the skin, or just a tattoo, who knows.

ArmsAkimbo

Nov 27, 2009
Yeah the whole "Mark of the Beast" thing is pretty much a terrible argument for this.
That being said, companies requiring people to implant tracking devices is also pretty morally ambiguous. I live in Canada so I'm not sure how it is in US law, but that would definitely violate our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Personally I think if this guy can make a reasonable argument about how it's a violation of privacy AND make use of the religious majority population of Virginia, he's a genius. An evil genius maybe, but is there really any other kind? Mwahaha!