Xbox Live is "More Juvenile" Than PlayStation Network

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Well there are a lot of 12 year olds on xbox live, but there probably will be more on the full game, and it does sound a lot like PR speak.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
The only qualifying statement I can think of for that is that younger people generally have more Xboxes because when the PS3 came out it was too expensive for the average 13 year old so the userbase probably is more juvenile in a literal sense.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Has this guy played nothing but CoD on Xbox Live? Because if he played it on PSN he'd realize what a moronic statement this is. I think it's the games community that gets juvenile, not the consoles.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have to begrudgingly agree with the guy with the guy in the article, as someone who has both consoles and has taken them both online the PSN community is a bit better. I will explain why.

At first I was tempted to fire back with the obvious ammo pointing out another article here on "The Escapist" about a PS-3 user complaining about "sexual assault" online. Both idiotic for the person who did this, and the person making the complaint. I'm surprised nobody else bothered to mention this in scanning two pages before I responded.

On the other hand, I have played in both communities, albeit my friends lists are nearly empty since I'm really a "single player" kind of guy unless I'm in a full fledged MMORPG where I am exactly the opposite.

Going by my online "passion" for fighting games, even though I'm not very good at them competitively, I noticed a lot more immature behavior on XBL than on PSN. Not just in terms of what people say, but in terms of people doing things like disconnecting when they are losing, or filing "poor sportsmanship" complaints against people who beat them so they won't have to face that player again and risk losing more on their ranking.

While I do not use Home (currently, though I have a chatpad on order and plan to try it eventually) I also think it is responsible for a greater degree of maturity despite what you might hear. XBL really doesn't have any kind of general access lobby or chat to meet people, rather it's "social components" are based almost entirely around the idea of inviting people you already know IRL, or maybe running into someone in random games. When it comes to the latter it seems there isn't much in the way of conversation or interaction other than trash talk, where on PSN people do randomly meet and shoot the breeze despite everything else.

There is also the issue of XBL being a pay service, people who pay for access to online multiplayer are "harder" to police because Microsoft doesn't want to lose their revenues. Rather Microsoft would rather focus on their build in "Ignore/Avoid" system than actually ban players like PSN seems to do more frequently. I'm looking back to the increasingly insane shut in who sued Sony (to begin with I had sympathy, but he jumped off the deep end). Even the potential of policing limits things substantially.

Having played games like "Demon's Souls" with limited player activity, most of my "phantom" experiences have been largely positive. I actually think the online experience would be VERY differant if the game was on XBL.

As far as titles like "Left 4 Dead" go, that's a fairly deritive shooter and I think it sort of relies on a lack of teamwork to remain challenging. What's more going from the very beginning of it's launch there have been endless stories about "the idiot(s) I ran into", not to mention videos and everything else. You see this with PS-3 games, but less frequently.

Oh, and I suspect the PS-3 pricing had something to do with it as well. A parent looking at both systems probably went Xbox360 because it was substantially cheaper for quite a while and the performance issues were minimal. This lead to more kids (the types without their own money) being involved, where the PS-3 crowd were more people with their own cash, even if many of them had been saving up due to being PS-2 fanboys. This means an older crowd at least to begin with (and of course there were doubtlessly exceptions). With price drops I sort of suspect things might change.

I also suspect Sony has shot itself in the foot maturity wise due to the lack of PS-2 backwards compadibility. People grow up fairly quickly, and it's been many years since the PS-2 was introduced. Those with enough games for the PS-2 to want backwards compadibility are probably not kids at this point (young adults at the oldest). With that feature removed from newer models (which has been a big deal for some), I think it's discouraging an older crowd of gamers, many of whom have these piles of games which are increasingly worthless even as trade ins, which they still want to play. As ironic as it sounds I personally know a lot of people who used the PS-3 as a PS-2 with the occasional next-gen title.. only to have thier system die and then head out and get PS-2 instead of replacing their system.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Jon Etheridge said:
256 players just sounds like a clusterfuck waiting to happen.
It's all divided up to different teams and squads.

So it all adds up.With minimal cluster fuckadge.

Mar 16, 2009
He is absolutely right, if you think about it. The 256 people who use the Playstation Network have a strong bond, and are able to cooperate easier than those playing on the 360, who have been playing with hundreds of thousands of strangers.

On anoter note, we get some smack, there is definately a good deal of racism, but the infamy of Live gamers is as blown out of proportion as the angry German kid (who, for everyone who doesn't know, is fake). We don't all behave like that, it's just what the PSN guys tell themselves. Sure, when you play Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2 there is more of the smack-talking thirteen year olds, but it usually isn't that much of a problem. After awhile, we turn our mics off just like everybody else.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
AstorSapolsky said:
He is absolutely right, if you think about it. The 256 people who use the Playstation Network have a strong bond, and are able to cooperate easier than 360 gamers who have been playing with hundreds of thousands of strangers.
Oh snaps!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Never have much trouble on Steam - as for his claims, seems like petty mud-throwing to me.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
annoyinglizardvoice said:
squid5580 said:
Guess he missed this

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97538-Female-Gamer-Sexually-Assaulted-While-Playing-PS3
Just what I was about to mention :)
I think both can easily attract morons, it's the problem with the internet, not the console.
Exactly. Just go to a random forum and pick a random thread and you are bound to find at least one. Assholes aren't just limited to gaming folks.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
I'm an XBL gamer.
And I agree that it is probably the more moronic of the two idiot children we call PSN and XBL.
I have both and have been on both and XBL is MUCH worse then PSN

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I would actually be inclined to belive that since I just got off the Xbox. I wouldn't know how mature the PSN players are though.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
this guy is just talking out his ass, it's the game that attracts a community, not the service, not to mention that on PSN it's just less people with mics in most games.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If only he heard some of the people I had from each of them...

...they both sound as stupid as each other!

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
Everyone bashing PSN but seriously? I played COD4 on both systems and the two major differences I found were there were significantly less 12 yo players whining and screaming into the mic and the players were a lot better at the game as a whole.

This was back when the PS3 was still 500 dollars so I am sure mommy and daddy didn't get a PS3 for their kids when the XBOX was much cheaper so it may be different now.

I agree with the article but I also know that there will still be douches on both systems but Xbox is definitely the worse of the two.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
The only reason its juvenile is because parents buy their children games that are rated higher than their childs age.

The only 'dicks' I tend to run into are kids who think that they have the god given right to shout their mouths of because they have a mic.

Pink_Pirate

Jul 11, 2009
i've never tried LIVE, but one thing that does irritates me on PSN is that i seam to be the only person on europe who has a mic, so if i want to actually talk to people when i play i need to play in the wee hours of the night when all the americans are online.