Xbox One Not Backwards Compatible

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Unpopular opinion incoming:
1. Backwards compatibility is not an issue for me. I owned many different generations of consoles and only PS2, PS3 (to an extent) and 360 were backwards compatible. So I am used to not being able to play previous libraries on the nex-gen systems.
2. I hardly ever buy used, so this isn't a big deal for me either. I prefer new items, plus I know how to clearance shop.
3. I never buy a system on launch, I wait for about 6-12 months and see what has changed and what has been fixed.

In closing I care only about the future of the system itself not the past titles I own and have played the shit out of already. And I tend to keep my old systems so if I wanted to play games on them I could.
If they could come up with a way of improving graphics on older games in backwards compatibility I'd be more inclined to rage about the lack of the feature. But it don't work that way.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Midniqht said:
And in come Sony defense force...

I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with internal computing hardware, but I don't see how anyone could have really expected *either* of the new consoles to be backwards compatible. Hardware is a fickle, complicated mistress, and this is why PC is plagued with problems simply because of users having different GPUs, different processors, etc.

It's ridiculously complicated and expensive to get hardware to be compatible with older models and software.
Agreed. Its seems like people want their games to have some kind of immortality and I don't think that will ever be possible. The Wii was backwards compatible because it used the same parts as the gamecube except the gpu was over clocked. Backwards compatibility is easy when your stuff is almost the same shit. That said, I doubt I'll ever lose access to my games. I'll just keep my old consoles. Plus, there will always be re-releases and pc emulation

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
If you told me 2 years ago that the big screen controller console WiiU would have been the most promising console of the next generation I would never have believed you. But with Sony and Microsoft fucking up their consoles this badly what with no Backward combatibility, Apps everywhere, and very little actual games being pushed. I am more inclined to make the WiiU the only console I get of the next Generation.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Midniqht said:

I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with internal computing hardware, but I don't see how anyone could have really expected *either* of the new consoles to be backwards compatible. Hardware is a fickle, complicated mistress, and this is why PC is plagued with problems simply because of users having different GPUs, different processors, etc.

It's ridiculously complicated and expensive to get hardware to be compatible with older models and software.
Agreed. Its seems like people want their games to have some kind of immortality and I don't think that will ever be possible. The Wii was backwards compatible because it used the same parts as the gamecube except the gpu was over clocked. Backwards compatibility is easy when your stuff is almost the same shit. That said, I doubt I'll ever lose access to my games. I'll just keep my old consoles. Plus, there will always be re-releases and pc emulation
Assuming the next console will be x64 then backwards compatibility will be easier next time (for xbox and playstation).

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
This is why I like computers. The games you played on a computer 10 years ago, you can still play on computers today. The games you're playing on computers today, you'll be able to play 10 years, or 20 years from now.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why do people care about BC? Look, only one console had it PS2. 360/PS3 had a half arsed version for a year or so and stopped and thats it.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Whelp, that settles it. I will not be purchasing the Xboner upon its release, from what I'm hearing its going to be a horrid, money grubbing machine.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Lightknight said:
By different core architecture they could also be referencing in vague terms that the disk reader will no longer be HD-DVD format for obvious reasons. In which case, an emulator wouldn't matter where disks are concerned because they're the wrong format.
It's using a Blu Ray drive, but Blu Ray drives can read DVDs. It's down to the processors being different.
Can they read HD-DVD's? I seem to remember blu ray players being unable to read HD-DVDs or vice versa and the 360 bet heavily (and lost) on the HD-DVD format.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I'm actually okay with this considering how little I ended up using it in the past

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
wizzy555 said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Midniqht said:

Assuming the next console will be x64 then backwards compatibility will be easier next time (for xbox and playstation).
This is true too. They basically had to make this switch so it would be easier to make games now and make backwards compatibly a possibility in the future (they basically messed up this gen). But the playstation 5 and Xbone 2 are a long ways off so who knows what we'll have by then. I'm not yet willing ever to invest in a 100% backwards compatible future

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Lightknight said:
Grey Carter said:
Lightknight said:
By different core architecture they could also be referencing in vague terms that the disk reader will no longer be HD-DVD format for obvious reasons. In which case, an emulator wouldn't matter where disks are concerned because they're the wrong format.
It's using a Blu Ray drive, but Blu Ray drives can read DVDs. It's down to the processors being different.
Can they read HD-DVD's? I seem to remember blu ray players being unable to read HD-DVDs or vice versa and the 360 bet heavily (and lost) on the HD-DVD format.
Er. The 360 runs on regular, old-fashioned DVDs, mate. The HD-DVD stuff was purely a (short lived) add on.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
TKretts3 said:
This is why I like computers. The games you played on a computer 10 years ago, you can still play on computers today. The games you're playing on computers today, you'll be able to play 10 years, or 20 years from now.
False. I got the Legacy Cain collection on Steam from a friend and the original games (that came out for the ps1) did not work on my Windows 7 machine. Apparently it was because I was using 64 bit instead of 32 bit

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Er. The 360 runs on regular, old-fashioned DVDs, mate. The HD-DVD stuff was purely a (short lived) add on.
Hmm, I stand corrected! Thanks for the response. Thanks for the article too.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Hehehe, Xbone. Yes, and let it be known throughout the land as such. I would get more angry but at this point I'm just at the 'haha I'm so glad I'm not a console user, part of the ordeal'.

Tis a damn shame, they had so many chances to hook me, and blew nearly every single opportunity.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Charli said:
Hehehe, Xbone. Yes, and let it be known throughout the land as such. I would get more angry but at this point I'm just at the 'haha I'm so glad I'm not a console user, part of the ordeal'.

Tis a damn shame, they had so many chances to hook me, and blew nearly every single opportunity.
Xbone is certainly better than calling it Xbox one. Am I the only person who has been calling the original Xbox "Xbox 1" to prevent any sort of confusion with what is frequently called the Xbox 360?

I'll add that you stand to benefit from consoles doing well even if you're a pc gamer.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Why do people care about BC? Look, only one console had it PS2. 360/PS3 had a half arsed version for a year or so and stopped and thats it.
I'm just gonna assume you forgot that Nintendo, the Wii, and the WiiU exist. If we're counting handhelds, then most of their handhelds as well.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I missed the presentation, so I'm wondering if they're going to re-release 360 games for Xbone via digital download.

So let me ask you guys:
If you bought digital content for 360 and transfer your Live account to a new Xbox One, do you think your 360 purchases should transfer to the new box? What about movies and other stuff? Sorry, I don't know if they covered that.
In addition, do you think you should be able to enjoy said digital content on your "old" 360 as well?

I guess I don't care about what Microsoft might have said, I want to know what you guys think is fair.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
The worst part about this, in my view, is the next year or so of game releases. Some will be for the last generation, some for the next, some for both. Assuming the multiplayer will only connect the same consoles, that means there will be split audiences, and some people will have to buy the same game twice. I think I'll stay out of that mess until the Xbone drops its price tag.