Xbox One Not Backwards Compatible

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
And in come Sony defense force...

I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with internal computing hardware, but I don't see how anyone could have really expected *either* of the new consoles to be backwards compatible. Hardware is a fickle, complicated mistress, and this is why PC is plagued with problems simply because of users having different GPUs, different processors, etc.

It's ridiculously complicated and expensive to get hardware to be compatible with older models and software.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Absolute bullshit. If it's Microsoft anything, it's windows based. My computer can still play x86 games.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
7 years of building a game library that won't play at all on the new system...

It's never a deal-breaker, but, dammit, Xbox's are crappy pieces of hardware, and I'd like to keep playing these games more than a few years from now.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
I think end of the day, this is a very usable console. If we get our hands on it, we'll use it no issue to get stuff done easily. I'm still watching though so final opinion isn't in yet.

Presentation is god awful though. CHECK OUT OUR AMAZINGS with our epically staged conversation.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Fractral said:
I'm starting to worry that the reason they've avoided talking about the always online and used game blocking is that they want to try and slip it out when no-one will notice, so that they can then say they told us. Or some such method.
Still, it's been what, 2 years since my Xbox broke last time? It should be good for another year or so, as long as I avoid playing on it too much.
They said it won't require an always online connection.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-doesnt-require-internet-connection

The used game thing is still a little sketchy in the details, they said there will be mandatory installs and that installing a disc to another console will have a fee attached, but they said they have something planned for the used game market, though there are no details as of yet.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-may-have-mandatory-game-installs

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Accidentally quoted myself?
[Snip and fix]
I'm rolling my eyes a bit at the people screaming bloody murder at no backwards compatibility, just keep your old consoles, it would be one thing if this was suddenly out of the blue but no backwards comparability isn't a new thing. Hell Xbox to 360 had a limited system of backwards compatibility and even then that was broken.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
More and more I expect I'll end up with just PC games and possibly a WiiU. We'll see what the PS4 pulls.. but I"m not impressed with what any system is offering right now. The captcha is 'geez louise'... I'm not quite there yet, though. It's still a possible purchase, but not until there are many (read: probably 4-5 minimum) games for the system that I couldn't get on another platform.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Rednog said:
Fractral said:
I'm starting to worry that the reason they've avoided talking about the always online and used game blocking is that they want to try and slip it out when no-one will notice, so that they can then say they told us. Or some such method.
Still, it's been what, 2 years since my Xbox broke last time? It should be good for another year or so, as long as I avoid playing on it too much.
They said it won't require an always online connection.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-doesnt-require-internet-connection

The used game thing is still a little sketchy in the details, they said there will be mandatory installs and that installing a disc to another console will have a fee attached, but they said they have something planned for the used game market, though there are no details as of yet.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-may-have-mandatory-game-installs
That seems reasonable. To be honest, I'm not really bothered about the used game thing because I'm used to it from my time PC gaming. I do hope they add an easy to use Digital Download system though, with a HDD big enough to actually store the games. The back compatibility is my main worry because I can't really afford to shell out for a new console if/when my current one breaks again.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
By different core architecture they could also be referencing in vague terms that the disk reader will no longer be HD-DVD format for obvious reasons. In which case, an emulator wouldn't matter where disks are concerned because they're the wrong format.

I didn't count on there being a processor level difference. I'm not sure why there would be if the setup is non-proprietary like the ps4 has moved to. Perhaps the 360's processor was more proprietary than I thought? I really can't see it being all that different programming-wise unless they took a step in the wrong direction. Fortunately the 360 should be much more easy to emulate than the ps3 is and isn't too unreasonable an idea. Unless microsoft just wants to make people repurchase their store.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Lightknight said:
By different core architecture they could also be referencing in vague terms that the disk reader will no longer be HD-DVD format for obvious reasons. In which case, an emulator wouldn't matter where disks are concerned because they're the wrong format.
It's using a Blu Ray drive, but Blu Ray drives can read DVDs. It's down to the processors being different.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Trishbot said:
I'd like to keep playing these games more than a few years from now.
Then keep your 360...

I don't see what all the complaining is about!? If you have 360 games you love then keep your 360 and plug it in when you want to play. It doesn't take long to switch a few cables around and bingo. Sorted.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
tehroc said:
Absolute bullshit. If it's Microsoft anything, it's windows based. My computer can still play x86 games.
Windows is just software, there would still need to be a xenon CPU (which is PowerPC architecture, not x86).

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Microsoft: Hey you know those guys who buy all our stuff and make or break our console and are the reason we have money and jobs? Yeah, fuck those guys!

BurningWyvern90

May 21, 2013
Really? You know, I wasn't really planning on buying either of the new consoles anyway, and definitely not immediately, but this makes it even less likely. I just bought the updated 360 not that long ago, why the hell would I buy another new one?

There are just so many bad decisions going into this new wave of consoles. I have no idea what they're thinking.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I think the real shocking thing here is that it isn't backwards compatible with VHS tapes. It looks like it should play them afterall.

And so far there doesn't seem to be any reason to buy one in the first place, so backwards compatability is a non-issue. Stick with the 360 which is just barely still a games console.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
XBone is appropriate for this failure. Putting aside the jump in Sony's stock from the awful, awful conference... used game shenanigans and no ability to play my 34 xbox discs, to? Fuck that. I was right all along, this next gen is going to be the most incompetent. The wiiU now actually stands a chance... and it really, really shouldn't.
I know right, this is going to be a sad sad generation...

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
With all of the lack of backwards compatibility, I'm glad that the WiiU has it at least. There's only so much space under a TV some people have for consoles and so many cords that can be plugged into a TV at one time. I think the lack of BC will hurt the ease of access consoles have.
I only hope the WiiU virtual console will get some gamecube games on there instead of re-releasing the games on Wii's virtual console. If the WiiU can play games from every generation prior to it, that should give it some respect it needs right now.