You can choose one super power, what will it be?

InfinityCubed

Aug 22, 2012
Time travel. Then I can go the future and get tech to give me ALL THE SUPERPOWERS. And travel between parallel universes AND USE TECHNOLOGY FROM ALL THE SCIENCE FICTION. Also, get Malcolm Reynolds' autograph. Not Nathan Fillion, ACTUAL MALCOLM REYNOLDS.

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
Oh that's easy. The power to grant anyone I want any number of wishs, but with the allowance that I am able to twist said wish in any manner of my choosing. First person I grant wish to... myself >^_^<

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
Something a little unique, The ability to invent anything, basically if i had a concept i would want the ability to make it work. You know like building a self sustaining fusion reactor in a cave with a box of scraps.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Ability to make my will manifest. I want money, I got money. I want to do nothing but live in a small room with every fantasy and scifi book, video game, and anime in existence, I could do that.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Invulnerability? Invisibility? Inconceivability!

I say the power to turn into a shadow and glide, unnoticed, across every surface! And then, I can pop out unexpectedly and scare the pants off anybody I feel like. It'd look cool. I'm serious!

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
DEFINITELY shape-shifting. Imagine how much fun that would be!

For some reason, I always get flight or teleporting responses when I ask this question, but shape-shifting's always going to be my #1 choice.

EDIT: ... Of course, being perpetually under the effect of that drug from Limitless without negative side-effects sounds pretty great too. I could solve all the world's problems and never worry about tests and essays again!

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Reality manipulation. I know it's a boring answer but I know that if I picked another power I would instantly run into a scenario where that specific power couldn't help....Of course this means that as soon as I pick my power I'm going to be attacked by sentient imaginary numbers.

Zeke17

Jan 1, 2013
zerragonoss said:
Video games have taught me the ability to save and load is the best power. having multiple save points and automatically going back to the last one if I die, with the ability to save and load instantly. If that is not allowed teleportation.
That's a really great one! You'd immediately know how to use it effectively because you've been practicing all your life. All of the world's armies would want you to lead their army! Don't want to screw up a job interview? Just try it over and over till you get the job. Better yet, tell them you're the best employee ever because if you screw up you can just try again. You wouldn't need to work though, you'd be the best at playing the stock market.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
For pure fun. Teleportation.

For pure OPedness. Reality Warping. You would practically be a god.

MeisterKleister

Mar 9, 2012
There are a lot of very tempting abilities to choose from, and it depends on what exactly "one" superpower means.

Some kind of ability to learn knowledge and skills instantly would be awesome, I think.
I could then for example completely memorize any book in mere seconds or minutes (as fast as I can flip the pages), learn a new language in a day, and learn any skill (playing a music instrument, drawing like Picasso, programming, martial arts, etc.) instantly just by watching someone do it or something like that.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Infinite knowledge

A couple of other people have mentioned similar concepts but not stated it as clearly.

Infinite knowledge could effectively become omnipotence.

It's the power to know how to do and make anything you could possibly imagine.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Hmm. Well, the superpower to cast any DnD 3.5e spell at will, without components or lengthy cast times (Greater than 30 seconds).

If I can't do that, controlling time. In such a way that I can put my body in a kind of stasis, and live forever.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Telekinesis. It's so variable in its applications!
Need to fly? Levitate yourself (or something you stand on).
Need to fight? Throw stuff at the enemy. Can even include launching projectiles like spikes, blades or bullets if necessary.
Need to stick to the ceiling? Just levitate instead.
Need to get around the city or get out of trouble? Again, levitate.
Need to deal with a fire? Move something to douse it there, be that water, sand, something to cover and smother the flames, whatever.
Need to rescue somebody? Levitate them to safety or move what's endangering them away (like rubble from a building or whatever).
Need protection? Move metal plates or something inbetween yourself and your danger.
And so on.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Teleportation for me, being able to appear anywhere at any time would make life so much easier.

BazaarFawkes

May 12, 2013
Practicality: Teleportation
It'll damn well save me so much money on bus fare and fuel.

Pure awesomeness and battle: Vector Manipulation http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Accelerator_(ability)
Honestly, after seeing that ability being put into use by Accelerator, I have always just dreamed of having it. Sure, I wouldn't be able to use it just as efficiently, being an idiot and all, but it'll be cool to just redirect anything that attempts to smite you.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Well, I was going to say shape-shifting, but others called it first.
I know! I want the power to turn the area around me into a musical. By that, I mean, whenever I'm doing something, I can start singing about it, and then the people surrounding me will be compelled to be backup singers and well-choreographed back-up dancers. Also included in my power is I won't have to think of songs detailing what's happening in my life, the words will just be there, and I can switch off said power for those times when I don't want to sing.

Zeke17

Jan 1, 2013
seydaman said:
Hmm. Well, the superpower to cast any DnD 3.5e spell at will, without components or lengthy cast times (Greater than 30 seconds).

If I can't do that, controlling time. In such a way that I can put my body in a kind of stasis, and live forever.
Orson Scott Card wrote a book called Treason where something very like that happens. It's about a planet where the greatest minds in various fields of science are banished to this one planet, and the people from different fields sort of form tribes consisting of people just from their field. So with time the biologists have reached the height of knowledge of biology, the physicists likewise, and so on.

The physicists basically figured out how to manipulate time and the hero's friend, I forget for what reason, decides to use the power to go into "quick time" and let the world die around her. So to everyone else she's just this frozen statue, but to her time is going by so quickly you can't perceive what's happening.

The hero finds out something that changes the situation and goes into quick time to tell her, it's only been a couple of seconds for her since going into quick time but by the time the hero is done explaining the situation and they come out of quick time, 300 years have passed. Yeah, it's a weird story.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Zeke17 said:
seydaman said:

Orson Scott Card wrote a book called Treason where something very like that happens. It's about a planet where the greatest minds in various fields of science are banished to this one planet, and the people from different fields sort of form tribes consisting of people just from their field. So with time the biologists have reached the height of knowledge of biology, the physicists likewise, and so on.

The physicists basically figured out how to manipulate time and the hero's friend, I forget for what reason, decides to use the power to go into "quick time" and let the world die around her. So to everyone else she's just this frozen statue, but to her time is going by so quickly you can't perceive what's happening.

The hero finds out something that changes the situation and goes into quick time to tell her, it's only been a couple of seconds for her since going into quick time but by the time the hero is done explaining the situation and they come out of quick time, 300 years have passed. Yeah, it's a weird story.
When I say stasis, I mean more slowing down hunger, aging, etc. I still want to function (kind of) normally, just without the hunger, sleep, etc.

Captcha: Escapist is sellout.