You first "**** This" Moment in Gaming

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
InsomniJack said:
I can't remember my first, but I can remember a very huge one.

In Prototype:

- Defend this machine!

- While beating tough mini-bosses!

- And then we'll spawn a super tough mini-boss on top of them!

- You don't have time to get health!

- Now let's throw in MULTIPLE super tough mini-bosses!

- And as a final insult, if you can clear a wave of mini-bosses out, the soldiers fighting alongside you will turn around and blast you into oblivion.

Never again, you frakking stupid game. Never again.
Oh yeah, that was nearly impossible on the hardest difficulty. My personal hell part for Prototype was the mission where you had to follow this tank through the city while a hundred other tanks are firing at you. Only way to beat it was to do some insane dodging and letting the other tanks shoot at each other. Took me 9 hours. It was worth it...maybe not. =)

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
Probably was one of the Blacklist races in Need for Speed: Most Wanted for which I could not for the life of me pass this guy so I put it away for about a month. The next time I played it I managed to beat him on my second run... I facepalmed so hard.

Smagmuck_

Aug 25, 2009
My first one, was when I was getting into the Modern Warfare Series. The Mission One Shot, One Kill.
"Oh hey, cool. A game where you ACTUALLY snipe someone instead of point and shoot."
That was actually pretty cool, having to compensate for wind and such. And then I had to make an escape.
As soon as we escaped the hotel. Shit hit the fan.

Fuck. That. Game.
Didn't go back for three weeks.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I Have No Idea said:
Grand Theft Auto IV. Yes, it's fun. Yes, it's a great sandbox game. But Rockstar so royally screwed the goddamn checkpoint system in GTA IV that if you die, you restart the whole mission. And when I say the whole thing, I mean the whole process. It's freakin' ridiculous how this got past playtesting.
This. Just this. I had the exact same problem when chasing Dmitri through a warehouse, then he kicks you off a roof and into the water. Your supposed to land beside a boat, but due to a glitch or something, I would land on the boat and die. I had to restart the entire game to finish it.

Metaik

Jun 18, 2010
I'm surprised FFXIII isn't mentioned much in this thread, guess it's up to me to do the honours.

Having to play as the smallest and whiniest member if the party, Hope. Controller down, game put back in box, box put to back of shelf.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Uniracers on SNES. Good graphics, somewhat fun gameplay, but absolutely punishing difficulty. You mean I have to be making jumps, be avoiding obstacles, and be doing stunts at every possible second if I want to get anywhere near close to the AI opponent? Fuck this game. Wait, I don't have any other games to play right now? Fuck you, racing unicycles.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Battlefield: Bad Company 2's single-player. Mission four or five. At least in Call of Duty, if you can smack a helicopter with four RPGs, it has the decency to go down!

Lockling

Aug 16, 2010
Zeliard.
6th crystal, last crest. Couldnt get to it after a long, long, LONG time of trying and dying(either on my way to the place where i KNEW the crest was, or trying to figure out what the hell i was supposed to do to get to ledge where i could SEE it was).
dont think i ever actually finished the game.....
hmm, i wonder if my folks still have the old computer with win 3.1...

ViralBiae

Oct 26, 2011
FFXII. At the temple in the desert about to go inside and get the phlebotinum flavour of the month. Had been extremely frustrated with gameplay up until that point and with the main character (f**k you Vaan, I wanted to play as your brother. He was a far more identifiable and sympathetic character than you and I liked him more for the 10 minutes I played with him than the several hours I was stuck with your annoying ass) and the next encounter was the final straw.

Walked along a narrow walkway and started getting chased by a killer wall that intended to crush me against a door. Went through the door, found the killer walls twin brother coming at me and realised I was stuck, no way out of a boss fight. Fought the cheap bastard, and right as I saw his HP drop to nothingness, the red bar fall out from under him, I get the "time's up" game over screen, which taunted me with an image of my party standing around doing nothing as the wall closed in on them for about 15 seconds. 15 seconds that I could have been using to break it down if making the health bar go away wasn't enough.

Gave up. Packed up. Put it away for good. F**k that game with a rusted greatknife.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I Have No Idea said:
Grand Theft Auto IV. Yes, it's fun. Yes, it's a great sandbox game. But Rockstar so royally screwed the goddamn checkpoint system in GTA IV that if you die, you restart the whole mission. And when I say the whole thing, I mean the whole process. It's freakin' ridiculous how this got past playtesting.
Yeah I got to the last level and the game bugged out 3/10 attempts I made trying to drive off on the beach. So, you know that was fun and stuff, so fun I moved to Saints Row and never looked back.

First time Rage Quit: I was playing a few RPGs on the Playstation at the time, I had all my games saved on this amazing Gameshark that let you save up to '8 memory cards worth of data' which was handy since I only had one. Well one of my friends had anger issues and he knocked the playstation off the shelf. So I lost data for: Final Fantasy V,VI,VII,VIII, IX, Tactics, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Xenogears, Breath of Fire III, and a few games that weren't RPGs.

So to this day I honestly can't go back to some of these RPGs, mostly Xenogears because I hate Fei.I'm not sure why but I've tried putting some of them back on and I just cannot get into it.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Trying to think back, but my brain feels empty.
First one on the next-gen consoles was Yakuza 3 though. I got so sick of running errands and figuring out why the brats were being bullied/had stomach pains. I thought it was an action beat 'em up game!

baconbaby299

May 7, 2011
I usually take a lot of punishment before I give up. Then someone said try ET for Atari 2600. I acquired it and played knowing that it caused a lot of bother when it was released an is generally considered to be the biggest failure in gamings history.

Dear god it was. It truly was.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Fallout 3, one of my favorite games ever. I sold it because the bugs kept screwing up my save files.

Mettking

Mar 17, 2011
TJC said:
Alphakirby said:
TJC said:
Trauma Center

Fun, unique and awesome game, except for one type of alien Virus which made me nearly snap my DS cleanly in HALF...

SERIOUSLY, F#*K THAT D:
Are you talking about this one:

is it Triti you're talking about?
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff gah
Yes, it's exactly THAT one I'm talking about. Fucking regrowing bastards.

Crap, I think I got an aneurysm just remembering them
Reminds me, the aneurysm missions were the worst in my opinion. Though the second Kyriaki mission (the slicing one you meet first) on the DS, I finished the last ones with 2-3 minutes left and spend that entire time just trying to get the suture to register on the last 2 cuts until time ran out. I have no idea why the detection is so bad on that triple slash it does.