You must move to a country that borders your own, forever - which do you pick?

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
I've always wanted to visit Russia, and if Sarah Palin can see it from her house then it's fair game. Otherwise, Mexico. Some of it's pretty nice and I've got a few connections from work down there.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Ooh! So many choices! Lets see, we got Scotland.. And... Yeah that's it. I don't see much of a problem with moving to Scotland, besides the occupational aspects. I be jelly of all the Americans who have the option of Canada, my personal all time favourite country..

xx

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
AnarchistFish said:
Last thing, this question may have been more interesting had it just been you could move to anywhere. In which case I'd pick one of France, Canada (Montréal or Vancouver), Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), Chile (Santiago), Italy (Florence) or Japan (Tokyo).
Eh. I would have but the 'where would you move' question is pretty common. Variety is the spice of life and whatnot.

Commissar Sae said:
Ummm, well I'm in Canada and we only have one land border, so looks like I'm moving to the United States.
aba1 said:
Being Canadian I can only go to the US though I would have to be very careful where I go there. I have heard there can be a fair bit of racism and violence depending on the area you are in the US.
You guys had more options than just the US. Did you not read the last sentence of the OP?
I suppose it doesn't matter really. 'Murica is where it's at.

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
Well seeing as Australia doesn't border any countries I suppose I will just go float around in the ocean until I die.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
It'd be Sweden for me. Would be an easy transition as well, since it's only a kilometer to Sweden from where I live...

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Mr Fixit said:
Well since every other American seems to have forgotten about all those little islands off the southeast coast I'll have to pick the Bahamas. Lovely little tropical island & so much warmer than Canada & safer than Mexico. I just gotta watch out for those hurricanes.
I hadn't forgotten them, though I'm relieved that someone else also remembered them.

Plus there is Alaska, people--Siberia/Russia is right across the way. Just ask Sarah Palin. ;)

Moreover people forget that Hawaii--which is out in the middle of the Pacific--is part of U.S.A., and being an island IT garners the additional 3 nearest foreign countries TO IT. What would they be? I dunno. I glanced at a map and according to it (gods but I miss paper maps) Tahiti and Japan appear to be some of the closer nations.

Anyone with a genuine globe feel free to chime in, please. :)

BUT wait--THERE'S MORE!!!

[HEADING=3]Classification of current U.S. territories[/HEADING]

Incorporated organized territories
No incorporated organized territories have existed since 1959, the last two being Territory of Hawaii and Territory of Alaska, both of which achieved statehood in that year.

Incorporated unorganized territories

Location of the insular areas:

The U.S.
incorporated unorganized territory
unincorporated organized territory
Commonwealth status
unincorporated unorganized territory

Palmyra Atoll is, as of 2007, partly privately owned by The Nature Conservancy with much of the rest owned by the US Federal government and managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.[18][19] It is administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior. It is an archipelago of about 50 small islands with about 1.56 sq mi (4 km2) of land area, lying about 1,000 miles (1,609 km) south of Oahu, Hawaii. The atoll was acquired by the United States through the annexation of the Republic of Hawaii in 1898. When the Territory of Hawaii was incorporated on April 30, 1900, Palmyra Atoll was incorporated as part of that territory. However, when the State of Hawaii was admitted to the Union in 1959, the Act of Congress explicitly separated Palmyra Atoll from the newly federated state. Palmyra remained an incorporated territory, but received no new organized government.[20]

There are also "territories" that have the status of being incorporated but that are not organized:

U.S. coastal waters out to 12 nautical miles offshore.
U.S. flagged vessels at sea, naval, coast guard, or civilian.
Unincorporated organized territories
Guam (since 1898): also the home of a U.S. Naval Base and a U.S. Air Force Base.
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands: formerly a United Nations Trust Territory under the administration of the United States, it established itself as a U.S. Commonwealth in 1978.
Puerto Rico (since 1898): established as a U.S. Commonwealth in 1952.
United States Virgin Islands (since 1917): these were purchased by the U.S. from Denmark.

Unincorporated unorganized territories

Islands in the Pacific Ocean

American Samoa: (since 1898): locally self-governing under a constitution last revised in 1967.[22]
Swains Island: Annexed by the United States on March 4, 1925, currently administered by American Samoa, and claimed by Tokelau (a dependency of New Zealand).
Wake Island: no longer under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Navy, now only inhabited by civilian contractors. It is now primarily a wildlife refuge.
Midway Islands: no longer under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Navy, now inhabited only by caretakers. It is now primarily a wildlife refuge.
Johnston Atoll: last used by the Department of Defense in about 2005.
Baker Island: now uninhabited
Howland Island: now uninhabited
Jarvis Island: now uninhabited
Kingman Reef: now uninhabited
Islands in the Caribbean Sea
Bajo Nuevo Bank: uninhabited; also claimed by Colombia, by Nicaragua, and by Jamaica.
Serranilla Bank: currently the site of a Colombian naval garrison; also claimed by Nicaragua, and by Honduras.
Navassa Island: uninhabited; claimed by Haiti.

Extraterritorial jurisdiction

The United States exercises some degree of extraterritorial jurisdiction over its embassy, overseas military, and leased areas such as:
Guantanamo Bay Naval Base (since 1903): A 45 sq mi (117 km2) area of land along Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, to which the United States holds a perpetual lease.[23] This is disputed by the Cuban government. The U.S. pays its annual lease payment by check, but the Cuban government has refused to cash them for decades.
Certain other parcels in foreign countries held by lease, such as military bases, depending on the terms of a lease, treaty, or status of forces agreement with the host country.

So...

Taking into consideration ALL of the options I think it would be a toss up between Canada and...I dunno...maybe New Zealand or Australia. Samoa? The options are surprisingly varied. I wonder if this was what the "Limeys" and the "Frogs" felt like when they had world spanning empires. ;)[footnote]I'm gonna get flamed for that one, I just know it.[/footnote]

deviltry

Nov 18, 2009
Latvia. Because it's very similar to my current country. After getting better with latvian language, I wouldn't even notice I switched countries.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
April Hannah said:
From the US so either Mexico or Canada. I think it's obvious I would go with the safety and health care of Canada. I just don't speak French and I imagine that would give me some trouble.
Not unless you're planning to move to Quebec.

OT: I live in Canada and that leaves me with pretty much one option and like hell if I'm ever going to live there. So, hello England.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
Cornwall. WHAT THAT DOESN'T COUNT?!

Fine either Scotland or Wales. Ireland if you're being all UK and British etc.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Looks like another Australian is moving to Middle Earth. Oh no, I have to go and live here?

What a tragedy.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Hmmm. Scotland then? Perhaps Edinburgh

I've always wondered what Mordor looked like in real life.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Hmm, as an Australian, I logically don't border anything, but if we're allowed to choose places that are across some water I guess I choose New Zealand.
Hell, with all the Kiwis living in Oz, it probably won't be much different...

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
living in Kansas, United states, its either Canada or Mexico.

What to do. Take the safetly of Canada, but go politically insane (and maybe physically/mentally insane because of going politically insane) or Mexico where I will still most likely go politically insane, but have a higher chance of getting shot by the cartels. I think I will go to Canada, and just try and find somewhere more conservative. Isnt there a territory that is like Texas, but alittle more left leaning? If so, I know where I am going.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Hmmm.... Canada or Mexico, that's a toughie. Universal health-care and nicer people or unhealthy living conditions and drug violence. I'll flip a coin.

I just realized lots of people on this site live in the USA, UK, or Australia. This might not be a very interesting thread.