Your 5 most disappointing games, 2008-2012

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
1. Star Wars: The Old Republic.

"You will be doing things you've never done before" read one line in an interview with a BioWare employee. You lied BioWare. What you made was a generic as feth MMO with voice acting. Complete waste of my money.

2. Minecraft.

I had lego as a child, it doesn't interest me any more. Tried it, built some things and got bored quite quickly.

3. Portal.

I only got this a few months ago due to the amount of hype surrounding it and how glorious people claimed it was. It was a puzzle game with a few funny bits. It was an incredibly short puzzle game with a few funny bits. I was expecting gaming gold after reading what people said about it and I got average.

4. Duke Nukem Forever.

I was a fan of Duke in my teen years. I waited 14 years for this game and it was still stuck in the 90's with really pathetic toilet humour and pointless sections. After waiting that long it was a huge let down.

5. Game of Thrones.

Oh dear god. Words can't describe this game.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
In no particular order:
Final Fantasy XIII: impenetrable story, boring characters, broken combat, name it.
Rage: Fallout 3 and Borderlands are good games, but would a little creativity kill you, id?
Ratchet & Clank All4One: Eeeeeewwwwwwuuuuuurrrrrrkkkkk. That is all.
L.A. Noire: We were promised the moon, we got a rock.
Resident Evil 5: A xerox of RE4 with a shit interface and shit AI. [small]And racism.[/small]

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
1. Mass Effect 2: Crappy main story that did fuck all for the overall plot. Overly broad characters, 3/4 of which had no reason to be there. Complete loss of subtlety. I liked it, but it did not live up to the first game. ME3 was an improvement, but face-planted at the finish line.

2. Borderlands: Hyped up by the gaming community, but was just a boring grindfest.

3. Mirrors Edge: Can I get a story to go along with these cool mechanics?

4. Modern Warfare 2: Gosh I was so pumped for this, COD4 was incredible, but they went bonkers in the story department and the multiplayer became a mess.

5. Any MMO, why do I do this to myself? "It'll be different this time!" LOLNOPE here's fifty fetch quests

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
When I think of disappointed, I usually think of stuff that was hyped but just didn't live up to my expectations. My list in no means that the game was bad, just that it disappointed me.

1. Mass Effect 3
2. Fable 3
3. Dragon Age 2
4. Kingdoms of Amulur
5. Dark Souls

odanhammer

Oct 11, 2009
aguspal said:
From the worst to the... least worst.

4) Minecraft- After doing all the "Adventure" part (As in, finding diamonds and going to the nether and blahblah), theres nothing else to do in this game, except build crap. I am not interested in building stuff because yes, I want some motivation, I need goals to complete, its just not a game for me if this does not happen. I can understand the appeal, but not for me at all.

Watch out that Minecraft hate can get you into a lot of trouble. I have actually talked to Notch at one time stressing the importance of goals and quests in the game. He actually promised it way back in the early days of the alpha. Yet nothing happened other then him pawning the game off to others to "finish"

I did buy the game , but i dislike Notch and Minecraft, i'll not buy into his games again.

Other game si feel are a letdown i've played.

Skyrim- i platinumed this game on my PS3 back when the game was horribled bugged. That alone killed any enjoyment i could get out of the game. I am bored of those types of huge opened ended worlds , They never feel alive with all the loading screens . Just a let down when the story kinda sucked and it was buggy.

Skyhawk- whats the deal with the game , i loved war hawk playing it for hours. Why change a system that worked that much. It wasn't anywhere as close as fun , kinda sad that happened.

Diablo 3- well i have written long rants about this game. The reason this game is a flop comes down to why blizzard will never get another dime from me. They destroyed the game , enough said.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
denseWorm said:
Skyrim - just not as good as Morrowind or Oblivion...
Bam. This is it. One day I will write an tl;dr essay on exactly why this is the case but for today, suffice to say that Skyrim failed to draw me in like the previous games did.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
MammothBlade said:
Assassin Xaero said:
MammothBlade said:
Duke Nukem Forever - I was quite looking forward to this, but it turned out to be a horrible abortion of a project, Call of Duty MW2 with Duke Nukem skins. Thankfully I didn't even touch the damn thing.
Wait... so you're calling the game MW2 with DN skins, and saying it was horrible, yet you never played it? Then how could you know any of that?
You don't have to play a game to get a general idea of what it's like. That's what gameplay videos and reviews are for.
it's true to some extent, though I wouldn't personally call it MW2 with a DN skin. I thought MW2 had a good campaign (unlike BO), but it didn't live up to CoD4. DNF...sigh I tried to play it and like it, but I just had to put it down after all the loading screens that took forever and never picked it back up again :[

I want to say Borderlands 1 but I had fun at the time, and Force Unleashed 2 was a blast to play even if the story just shat itself at the end
I was pretty sure FF13 was gonna be horrible, but...no yeah it still disappointed me :c

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I didn't buy anything unless I knew I would like it so I really wasn't disappointed by anything. Actually, I guess Terraria was a disappointment but it was so cheap that it wasn't really a big deal to me. I got bored almost instantly and never played it again.

Oh, and Trenched. I got bored of that pretty quickly too.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
1. Crysis 2, I was a big fan of the original and I felt like this went in a bafflingly bad direction.

2. Dragon Age 2, I was a big fan of the original and I felt like this went in a bafflingly bad direction.

3. Darksiders 2, I was a big fan of the original and I felt like this went in a bafflingly bad direction.

4. Resident Evil 5, I was a big fan of the original and I felt like this went in a bafflingly bad direction.

5. Skyrim, I was a big fan of the original and I felt like this went in a bafflingly bad direction.

Not exaggerating any of these or my reasons for disliking them.

Just so this isn't such a negative thread here are 5 games I was surprised to enjoy.

1. The Binding of Isaac, had not heard of the game, just saw it on sale on steam for dirt cheap, I have enjoyed the heck out of it.

2. Left 4 Dead 2, I enjoyed the original a tremendous amount so I figured I would enjoy this too, but I really did not think I would enjoy so much more than the first one.

3. Amnesia: the Dark Descent, Wow, just wow, loved this game, but I was actually assuming it was going to be crap based on, well I have no idea, guess it was just preconception.

4. LA Noire, I really thought this game was going to be boring, and it certainly had boring parts, but I very much enjoyed it.

5. Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West, very fun game, only downside was the community never got very big.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Off the top of my head

3. Skyrim - Wasn't bad for the first 10 hours I played, but I quickly became over-powered (with all classes) and the dungeons became really repetitive.

2. StarCraft 2 - When I saw the first teaser it looked amazing. After playing for a bit at my friends place it was just lacking in atmosphere and some the designs are really poor. As for the dialogue, story and cinematics (they wasted so much money on), just as bad as the DRM and shit you had time sign up with.

1. Super Smash Brothers Brawl - I still can't believe how terrible the game play and designs are in that game. How do you go from such a beautiful fluent game like Melee, to a complete mess a long with random tripping?

All these flaws cover many other Nintendo based games as well. Such as Mario Kart Wii, Skyward Sword, Metroid Other M, The Wii itself, etc.

Hawkeye 131

Jun 2, 2012
5) Brink - the story wasn't anything ground breaking but it did look entertaining, graphics were good, but overly BORING & LINEAR gameplay

4) Rage - another game that looked great, gameplay was solid, kinda buggy, BS day-1 DLC, shitty ending

3) Crysis 2 - again! great looking game but the story is SO mediocre and hard to follow, "deep layers of the suit man!", "Cell, Ceph and Hargreave man!"

2) Homefront - bugs, crappy graphics & textures, CoD/Battlefield wannabe/clone w/e, linear gameplay, mediocre & unplausible story, what a piece of shit!

1) Mass Effect 3 - BS day-1 DLC, choices don't matter, the "A" button does EVERYTHING!!!, deus ex: machina plot, massive plot holes, worse ending in sci-fi history, retarded lead writer and ex. producer throw out the entire established lore, canon and story for they're own "artistic integrity", to many goddamn fetch quests, broken quest log, NO exploration like ME1 & 2, the list goes on & on & on... Multiplayer was fun though!

-Hawk

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
5. Portal - it's not bad, but it got so much hype that I expected gold but instead I got a 2hr experience with boring puzzles. And besides, Portal 2 is far better story wise.

4. Fallout 3 - Gameplay is stale and lifeless, dialogue is crngwothy and the NPC's are out of the 90's.

3. Battlefield 3 - What the hell? When did CoD have a baby with Battlefield? WHERE'S MY 2143?!

2. Mass Effect 3 - You know why.

1. ES4 - Just boring. Gameplay is bad, NPC's suck and the game was paced pretty bad. Expected to love it but couldn't put more than 5hr into it.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
I really don't have 5 to complain about. For me its just Final Fantasy XIII. I hated the linearity and just didn't like the characters or story that much.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
1. The Path: BORING.
2. Doom 3: Ultra repetitive. And respawns are stupid.
3. The Walking Dead (only one part): The story doesn't really change. What a rip.
4. Oblivion: Long winded and boring and repetitive