Your 5 most disappointing games, 2008-2012

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Hmmm this is hard . For me to be dissapointed i needed to have expectations i have like 2 i was expecting to be good . The games that dissapointed me the most are games others said were good but here we go .

Games i was expecting to be good :

FFXIII-2 . I liked the first one the second one was just plain bad .
Dragon age 2 . I really liked DA:O , wtf happened to the story?

Games other people said were good .

Bioshock .
Deus ex:HR
mass effect .

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
Infamous 1 and 2. How could Suckerpunch make two games that have so much potential, yet the end result is a fucking mess? Both 1 and 2 (noticeably 2) has such a fucking terrible mission structure, not to mention a game that has great freedom of movement in the second you are confined to small houses and flooded swamps? What the fuck Suckerpunch? Give me a massively destroyed city with huge skyscrapers for me to traverse, not swamps and flooded towns with a character who dies in water.
Seriously? Flood Town is one small part of New Marais, and as you say Cole dies in water so it makes the area a (enjoyable) challenge to get around. The mission structure is great and if you get bored you can create your own missions.

I could go on all day about how wrong you are, but it's saturday and I have more important things to do!

O.T
1: GTA 4
2: Force Unleashed 2
3: Mafia 2
4: Fable 3
5: GTA 4

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Let me think...

1. Dragon Age 2!
2. Dragon Age 2.
3. Dragon Age 2...
4. Dragon Age 2 :(
5. Dragon Age 2 D:

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Halo reach. Just about every change they made in regards to the game play was for the worse.
(With the exception of jet packs, but that alone does not save it.)
Also the way it messes with the canon established in fall of reach.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
the space/fighter jets were called "sabers"

and Bungie did not developed Halo wars it was developed by Ensemble Studios(which went under right after this game came out) and published by Microsoft game studios
I'm pleasantly surprised that this is what got quoted on this thread! Sabers. It was Saber combat that I loved and having only rented Halo Wars I didn't realize it was developed by another studio. I just assumed it was Bungie since apparently Halo CE was originally built as an RTS...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Xbox 360's Backwards Compatibility
It didn't hit me going into the 360's lifespan, I traded in all my old xbox stuff when I got the 360 so I could afford it, so early backwards compatibility hiccups didn't bother me, but later on, during the death of the video rental store, I picked up some old Xbox games that i heard were good, Legacy of Kain and Chronicles of Riddick. Just, disappointed that neither of them worked.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
I was really hoping for something more like Knights of the Old Republic, but it became an inferior God of War clone. It's difficulty curve bothered me, I like games that make you feel like a badass by the end of it, and all the enemies defenses outstripping your offensive upgrades, and you just felt weaker and weaker throughout.

Fable 2
This was a game that the gaming press of the day were all rolling around in Fable's happy places and were calling it the second coming. And I bought it all hook line and sinker, and while I do understand they probably didn't intentionally trick me, I still did NOT agree with their praise. I hated it, from beginning to end. I hated everything about it.

Borderlands
I think I get it, Diablo 2, a great game, and fallout 3 another great game, combined. But I found the gunplay boring, the enemies uninspired, the difficulty incredibly wonky. I loved the introduction video, that intro music really made me want to like the game, but it just never happened. I guess I needed to play it multiplayer, but with only splitscreen available, it just wasn't good. I'm sure it's better then I think.

Resident Evil 5
I missed out on Resident Evil 4. I only played it one time and died a whole bunch. Didn't care for it. When Dead Space came out, everyone who talked about it said "It's like Resident Evil 4, IN SPACE!" but I thought it looked good, so I got it, and I loved it. Then when Resident Evil 5 came out, everyone said "boring, it's kind of like Resident Evil 4, IN AFRICA!" and I as like "sweet, that'll be like Deadspace. Wasn't at all like Deadspace. I am Disappoint.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
In no particular order...

Duke Nukem Forever
Lets get the big and obvious out of the way first. An FPS from the old age coming out in the present generation? Maybe I'd escape regenerating health, 2 weapon limits, 3-4 shot deaths with rapid firing weapons and a bunch of other crap that's in modern FPS. It somewhat did some of them, but at the same time... It just didn't work. At the start I found it alright, the puzzles were something different that I've always enjoyed in games. Something other than constant shooting to do, and there were a couple of fun gameplay things that popped up, but eventually its poor optimization, overly crude tacked on humour and just general poor gameplay got to me, and I stopped playing.

Mass Effect 3
Another big one out of the way first. There was very little that 3 did better than 1, or even 2. Shooting was about it, and even that was disappointing as it was still just a, more polished, linear corridor shooter. The story and level design went down the crapper further than in ME2, dialogue mostly disappeared, choices equated to nothing and the ending was downright bad. For something I was so excited for, it basically killed my interest in the Mass Effect series. I may eventually reinstall and replay ME1, but I have no interest in the rest of the series seeing what 3 failed to bring to the table.

Dragon Age 2
Really, this was pathetic. I'm not going to argue that combat in Origins needed to be better balanced, and made just a little faster to be more interesting - it really did. However DA2... Completely the wrong way of doing it. Enemies were action game enemies, you were a mix between an action game hero and an RPG hero, and it turned out poorly. The lack of unique areas also bought the game down massively, and whilst the story wasn't really bad, it was really just a bunch of faffing about until the end. Companion customization was gone, and many things in Origins that were not executed the best, but were still interesting were simply removed rather than fixed. The game could have been average, had it not been so incredibly rushed. I cautiously await DA2 to see if Bioware have learned, or not - like with ME3.

Skyrim
Forgive me everyone, for I have sinned. I haven't played much of TES series beyond a couple of hours in Morrowind at a friends house. Skyrim was hyped to be a large, open world RPG full of interesting things to do set in a Viking like setting. It managed the open world bit, mostly, and there was stuff to do, though not interesting, but overall it was severely disappointing.
Firstly, it was nowhere near as large as I'd been thinking it would be. IMO it seemed smaller than Tasmania, and for a whole province of Tamriel I'd expected it to be larger. Of course, there are limits to what videogames can do, so I was fine with this.
What really got me, however, was how dead the world was. The AI was just... uninterested in anything. Townsfolk and civilians were boring and largely lacked personality most of the time, anyone with any personality, no matter how important, only maintained it for a short while, the quests were short and relatively uninteresting, and the dungeons were amazingly repetitive. Dragons, instead of being something awesome to go kill, became the equivalent of Ogres in DA:O. Originally you're like "Wow, Ogre, its a boss or something, awesome!", and then you're like "Ah, and ogre. Great, one enemy that won't die instantly. Might have to hit it twice". Upping the difficulty didn't make it more interesting, simply more tedious to do anything. After being so excited for it, I was severely let down thanks to the simplification of it compared to previous titles, loss of features such as custom spell making, and how dead the world was overall.

Battlefield 3
I thoroughly enjoyed Battlefield 2. IMO it got the pacing right, its maps were good, I liked the classes and most importantly it had single player for if I got sick of the people online. BF3 dropped the ball.
It looked great, and I like the idea of weapon mods, but in other aspects it just failed me.
Vehicle mods was one of them. Planes, missiles and flares. You need flares to be half effective in an aircraft, yet they're an unlock. Yeah, they're the first one, but that's not helpful if the second you lift off you have 3 missiles locked onto you. You're just screwed in cases like that. It upsets the balance of the game in favour of those with the unlocks, as all vehicle unlocks IMO do. Weapon unlocks do too to an extent, but not as much as the vehicle ones.
Map design is terrible. IMO it tries to base itself largely around set pieces as opposed to being a good map. Bases are far too close together in most maps. The majority of the map itself goes to waste because there's no reason to be there - the bases are just stuck in the middle. This is slightly alleviated in the Back to Karkand maps, thankfully, but that's not enough.
Its too fast paced compared to 2 IMO. The speed at which everything dies... isn't fun. I have never liked 3-4 shot kills with assault rifles and SMGs that fire over 60 bullets a minute. It means if someone sees you you have less than 2 seconds to live. That's not fun. That's hide and seek with who sees who first.
And most of this I wouldn't mind too much if there was single player with AI on the maps because the AI doesn't really know how to exploit these things to make the game boring. Sadly, no such option existed, and thanks to severely weighted teams online, I lost all interest in the game a while back. It had some potential, but was really just... bleh in the end.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
1. THE 2008 RELEASE OF PRINCE OF PERSIA, I HATE YOU IN EVERY WAY THAT MAKES YOU PATHETIC AND DISGUSTING.
2. Oblivion, which I only got to play a while later. Still crap.
3. Any and every Fable game, they are all shallow, linear and terrible.
4. Diablo 3.
5. Assassin's creed Revelations.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Among games I actually played...

Supreme Commander 2. Rushed research+cheap units=free power. The perpetual motion machine of RTS gameplay. As for the single player campaign... so many tropes, so little time.

I suppose I should list Mass Effect 2 in here as well. The gameplay went all to hell with what amounted to corridor shooting and pre-assigned cover, while the plot was shot through with so many holes one could be forgiven for thinking it was a Star Wars prequel movie. Somehow I still enjoyed it, though. Damndest thing. Haven't played 3 yet... I imagine I will someday.

I'd list tOR, but it honestly lived up to every expectation I had. It works fine if what you're looking for is KotOR 3 with 8 separate protagonists... aside from that, it failed. Again, as expected.

Lots of other games I refused to buy, watched a few LPs and laughed.

On the flip side, Portal 2. That was a surprise... in a good way.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Sword of the stars 2. From what I can tell from the mechanics and graphic style, I might have actually liked this less than the original even if it had been properly functional, not an early beta version.

Xenoblade Chronicles: I had recently bought a WII and still have fond memories of playing FF8 (don't judge me, up to that point I'd played Red Alert and US Navy Fighters, to play a game with any kind of epic looking story sounded cool), and there was a lot of buzz of the Americans begging Nintendo to bring the game to their shores. So I shelved over the cash for it, and god did it annoy me. Poor graphics, less interesting story, uninteresting combat and even though I spend too much time for my liking doing optional quests, I got creamed by the first monster in the first dungeon I had to go to. It's been gathering dust ever since.

Empire Earth 3: Oh how much have I wanted to like this one. I loved EE1, and the promise of three actually different sides, rather than 2 dozen with slightly different bonuses and maybe 1 unique units sounded great. So did the world conquest mode, which would actually work for a game where you don't fight the same battle every time, since you can research new technologies and ages on the world map. But dear god, the bugs. Surrendering on the battlemap gave you a victory on the world map. Animation was awefull, especially of the ships. The watercombat was completely broken. The AI was a joke. I've played through it several times, trying to enjoy the parts that are there, but so much about it was just unfinished.

Okay, and I didn't pay full price for Supreme Commander 2, but I count it. I understand it sucks that the first game didn't sell all that well. But the solution wasn't to turn it into a carboard copy of more popular games, because the fans of those games will just buy the original.

And Mass Effect 2 is a partial loss for me. The story was okay, and the way they handled the effect of your choices on the ending was cool (take note ME3), but everything just felt so cramped, small an unepic. All the universe consisted of coverbased corridors, plus one slightly larger Omega Station. And you know, I only at the very end realized that 'go see what's on the other side of the relay' wasn't just the first step in the story that would lead to the epic big picture, just like 'find out what Saren's up to' was in ME1. No, that was supposed to be the big, epic mission. If that's all there is to it and it's supposed to be oh so dangerous, why not send a few probes through once you've obtained all the Plot Coupons to make the jump? So despite the poor ending of ME3, ME2 is still my least favourite in the series.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
In no particular order;

Modern Warfare 3: I never played Black Ops, and while MW2 had it's flaws it was still good fun when playing with a friend, kind of like a Steven Seagal movie. MW3 is just no fun at all. I guess MW2 could be listed here as well due to the disappointment it was coming from CoD4. Like I said though, MW2 was great fun despite it's flaws.

Crysis 2: The first Crysis is easiliy one of the better games I've played, the story might not be deeper than a puddle, but it was still so much fun playing through that I didn't really care about the lack of story.

Skyrim: I don't really need to say anything here, do I?

Diablo 3: See above.

Number 5: I don't think I have a game that stands out here, I've never been one to buy a load of games at random and seems like I only get burnt on sequels messing things up. And because I tend to spot games that will disappoint me before I go and buy them, like BF3.

So for my number 5 I'm going to say BIT.TRIP BEAT simply because when I got it as part of the bundle I just read the BIT.TRIP part and thought I was getting the runner game as that was the only one I'd heard of.
I did eventually get runner later, and the beat game is alright I guess, but I don't see why I'd play that when I have audiosurf.

ick99

Sep 6, 2011
My Five Dissapointments.

5. Skyrim: In Oblivion I always found there to be a bit of progression even while being an open world game, money was hard to make, and the value of it was important until you reach a certain point, and the insignificance I felt, similar in Fallout 3 made the world much bigger and my place in it even more so. In Skyrim, money falls out of the sky, the characters who can join you are not interesting or valuable, and the lack of depth can be a little immersion breaking, but still, there hasn't been anything that has given me more fun this year.

4. Deus Ex HR: Bought it for the story and social commentary, left confused by the scale and the game play, probably would have enjoyed it more if I played enough to get immersed, but that would have required work.

3. Jaggered Alliance (Crossroad and BIA): Bought both for a nostalgia trip, AI was broken and it was just a bloody mess to try and deal with completing the story.

2. Dawn of War II: lately a lot of the Warhammer labels have been breaking my heart, oh well, I'll keep throwing THQ money and weeping.

1. Mass Effect 3: EA!! Not even the most raunchy Alien sex can make me forgive you.

My Five Surprises

1. Mass Effect II: I don't do shooters, I like shooters, but they take a while to get into. Mass Effect made me love the characters, identify with my own character, get upset over losing characters I liked the least. The ending brought me on the edge of my seat, I never had been so invested in a the story and characters of a game.

2. Fallout III: Again, no shooters, this is probably the first thing I played remotely horror or even survival. Atmosphere was fantastic and a lot of the characters were as insane, desperate, or creepy as I would expect in a post-apocalypse reminded me of the Book of Eli and the Road, in how horrified you are of the world, and how careful you have to be around strangers. I thought I would try a friend's to pass the time, I bought it the next day.

3. Bioshock: I was recommended this, it was cheap and on steam, best social commentary and story in such a game, all the flaws in it were not very visible, so I kept inside the immersion bubble.

4. Arma II: I found this both boring and confusing at the start, but its so boring and confusing, that the community I found was mature enough, and was interested in good solid team-play. I like that no one tries to put their balls in my face, and that in the DayZ mod, there's an actual reason for Ball-to-face action.

5. Victoria II: Was a little sceptical and extremely confused how to play, but after getting into it, I have concluded that it is the best kind of game for anyone on the Autism Spectrum. The game is fascinating in it's historical aspects, and the level of influence you have of everything.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
putowtin said:
imahobbit4062 said:
Infamous 1 and 2. How could Suckerpunch make two games that have so much potential, yet the end result is a fucking mess? Both 1 and 2 (noticeably 2) has such a fucking terrible mission structure, not to mention a game that has great freedom of movement in the second you are confined to small houses and flooded swamps? What the fuck Suckerpunch? Give me a massively destroyed city with huge skyscrapers for me to traverse, not swamps and flooded towns with a character who dies in water.
Seriously? Flood Town is one small part of New Marais, and as you say Cole dies in water so it makes the area a (enjoyable) challenge to get around. The mission structure is great and if you get bored you can create your own missions.

I could go on all day about how wrong you are, but it's saturday and I have more important things to do!

O.T
1: GTA 4
2: Force Unleashed 2
3: Mafia 2
4: Fable 3
5: GTA 4
I never said I died much traversing it. I actually died very little with the Ice Jump power in that area (which I will admit, was fun to use).

The mission structure is horrible, and the UGC missions are even worse. I enjoyed the first game more but still let down that this was Suckerpunches debut title on next gen consoles and they were average at best. Festival Of Blood was very enjoyable however.

What didn't you like about Mafia 2? I hold that as one of the greatest games this gen.
Mafia 2? The game that gave you a beautiful city with ball all to do in it!
Seriously mini games? none, collectables? Some old playboys!
I ran through that game in 5 hours and wondered where my £40 went

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
5. 'Dead Rising 2' - It was just too lazy of a sequel. Loved the first one and all the gameplay improvements were actually fantastic but it felt like a re-skinned DR1. Despite the promise of this one being a Vegas-style city, we get another damn mall. Still though... lightsabres!

4. 'LA Noire' - I appear to be the only one of my friends who actually stuck it out and finished it (and that was because I LOVE John Noble). The spartan gameplay would have been ok except the game had zero flow or pacing. It was great and cinematic for the first third but then you solve the serial killer case and the game just drags on and on and on for HOURS. It was still nice to see something new but it could have been so much better.

3. 'Alan Wake' - Fun (if a a bit basic) gameplay and a great atmosphere that sadly got over-used and utterly de-valued fast. Everyone raved about the story and I don't see what they were talking about. It was average, lacking substance and resolved very poorly. Like 'Noire' wasted potential.

2. 'Alpha Protocol' - It was the Bond game I've always dreamed of in terms gameplay and while I still actaully really enjoyed the game it was broken beyond belief. How does a game even get released in that state these days. It could have been one of my favourite games of all time, now it's just an interesting glimpse of what could have been.

1. 'Resident Evil 5'
- The one thing Resi didn't need was to be gritty and serious again. RE4 was the perfect blend of really good horror gameplay and stil lighthearted and silly. The only thing this game had going for it for Wesker because he was ridicuous and he filled the Merchant-shaped hole in my heart.

Honourable mention: Mass Effect 2. It's not on here because I do genuinely adore that game but I was quite annoyed with 2 when it first came out that in tone and atmosphere it felt so different to ME1. I missed the creppy isolation of wandering around barren planets on your own for hours with nothing but the wind howling and beautifully unsettling, minimalist sci-fi music playing. 2 & 3 are still fantastic blockbuster-action-fests but that's not why I intially fell in love with the franchise.

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
C&C 4! Worst train wreck in the history of train wrecks. I can forgive the people who forgot this existed. The memory probably imploded on itself.

Diablo 3. Hahahahahaaaa Ahahahaaa haaa.. okay blizz nice joke there...wait... you're going to put that in the final game? No! no nononononononono! NO DAMMNIT! FUCK! NOOOO! Aaaand it's gone.

"Fear" The whole franchise. Extremely overrated. Very mediocre shooter with silly spawns, oh wait "jump scares", Doom3 did the thing better.

Red Alert 3. I honestly felt the colors eating through my retina. And this is coming from a MLP fan. Boring shallow, gimmicky, buggy and unresponsive.

DUke Nukem Foreeeeeeeever. Hope dies last. Don't mess up again gearbox. Please don't.