Your 5 most disappointing games, 2008-2012

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Dragon Age 2 - pretty obvious one.
Mass Effect 3 ending, rest of the game was genius, though.
Mafia 2 - just nothing to do and the ending was pretty shitty.
Dawn of War 2 - oh how fun the Prequel was. But 2 was so boring i coouldn't even get past the first few missions.
And yes, i know it is a multiplayer game, but dawn of war 1 + all sequels always had a fun campaign in it. DOW 2 does not.

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
The only games that have really disappointed me were from Black Isle/Obsidian. They have these awesome ideas for games that they never seem to deliver on. And really, I feel like any problem I've ever had with any of their games could've been addressed had they spent more time/money on QA.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
did we really need a thread specifically for people to ***** and whine? i feel like they do enough of that anyway.
fallout 3, it just didn't feel like fallout, too little humor and such BUT since NV was so fucking awesome i will let this one slide.
Dragon age 2
shogun 2, i can't put my finger to exactly what it is but i didn't like it as much as older TW titles, may have something to do with with yearly releases.
Prototype 2, the gameplay was not as fun the second time around and the fact that they just ignored the ending to Prototype was dumb as shit and took everything interesting away.
oh and oblivion since i didn't play that till 09. i can accept skyrim as a simplified version of Morrowind and be OK with that but oblivion is just somewhere in between "simple and straightforward fun" and "deep and immersive"

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
To me the most disapointing game was dungeons. I was hoping for dungeon keeper style fun, and while dungeons seems based of that great series I was dissapointed and quickly uninstalled it. On the upside they ahve dungeon keeper 2 on GoG, so that has helped.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I'll take for disappointing games that I have any kind of expectation of and ended being let downs:

5- Brink: Lot of potential wasted in team deathmatch with no progress whatsoever.
4- Rage: Promised a Fallout experience without the limitations Fallout had, plus vehicles. Had none... well, it had vehicles.
3- Assassin's Creed Revelations: After 2 and Brotherhood, I was hoping they added something worth the price, and while it's good, it's truly forgettable.
2- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 & 3: I put both of them on the same boat for sharing story, which was the most disappointing thing it had.
1- Dead Island: I had real hopes for it, and it's not bad, but I couldn't find fun or engagement, it simply vanished from my hands and never opened the box again.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
#5 Fallout NewVegas - I knew I shouldn't have. I dodged FO3, and I dodged NV until it landed in Steam's Bargain Bin. I wish I'd dodged it then too.

#4 Skyrim - The greatest character in this game is the landscape. Almost all NPCs have just the ghost of a personality. One or two manage to reach the game's highest tier for NPC writing: "almost compelling". I spawned an all consuming tide of glitching cabbages in Whiterun, then I was bored and lonely. Uninstalled.

#3 Civ 5 - Can you see another nation's borders? You're about 15 turns from war then. When I bought (played, then uninstalled) this game, the diplomatic system was basically an illusion. Its real function was to delay war by several turns at a huge cost. Civ 5 is - or was - therefore a straight turn based war game that pretended other elements. In that genre, there are far better than this dog-pile.

#2 Dragon Age 2 - Those PS2 textures. That Twilight-quality writing. I don't even want to discuss this game.

#1 Supreme Commander 2 - Utter garbage. So much badness that I don't know where to start. The story that totally shat all over Illuminate players? Or the fact that order queues and other technical mechanics were better written in the first game (which especially hurt transports)? The way that the economy was made babies-mode because too many imbeciles couldn't crack Supcom and FA's? Or maybe that the developers took some really apalling unit concepts from amateur expansion packs made by modders for the original? I bought Supcom 2 for £5 when it eventually dropped into Steam's bargain bin, and it is still the worst value for money trade I've made in 5 years. A real piece of shit.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MammothBlade said:
These past few years have left me disappointed and disillusioned with some of my favourite series, and I've sought out greener pastures as a result. Sadly, I had to play through and delude myself that I was enjoying them to realise just how boring they'd become.
Well for me my biggest disappointments within the time frame (since I'm a Sonic fan this'd have been a lot better to read if it had been the last decade rather than 4 years):

Final Fantasy 13: I expected a huge world with great characters and a great story, with a well paced narrative and interwoven exposition. With the kind of detail and love that FF12 was crafted with, I expected that same level, I expected the bestiary notes, I expected the optional stories, I expected the volume of quests, optional areas, optional bosses, items, summons, etc. Instead it was a corridor for 20-30 hours with no real challenge beyond staying awake, then a bit of an open world with not much in it besides monster hunts, and then the end and some trophchievements that I couldn't be bothered with. Final Fantasy XII was indeed the final fantasy for me, sadly this remains to be changed, though 13-2 was better.

Sonic Generations: It is far from bad, it's a top notch game, it's action packed, flows fantastically. It's bright, colourful and it's great fun. But it lacked variety, there were too many "green hill" levels and too many city levels for my liking. They took too much from more modern Sonic games in my opinion, especially Colours, where they made an inferior version of the stage. I'd have rather some extra Mega Drive levels than the modern stages, for example, Ice Cap, Lava Reef, Death Egg, Starlight, etc. The Heroes level could've been better too, Rail Canyon or Egg Fleet would have been more interesting and stood out a lot more. It was also very short lived with little replay for me with a very poor final boss. Disappointing after Colours but a great game anyway.

Resident Evil 6: It isn't out yet. But that demo was enough for me. I adore 4, it's one of my favourite games of all time, so much so that I own 3 copies of it and have finished it countless times, including challenge and melee runs. My problems with 6: I shot a corpse and it didn't react, I assumed thusly that it was just a corpse not an enemy, I was wrong, it attacked when I walked over, so I was pissed off. It's hard to be quite sure how much damage you're doing and the game doesn't give great feedback to your attacks, it also has a strange lagging effect that seems intentional when you change aiming direction or begin to look elsewhere. The lighting effects are bloomy and hyper focused, and dragged away any immersion because I have a vague understanding of how light functions. It used 2 buttons for interaction, co-op actions not withstanding. The AI is worse than 5, after 2 minutes of trying I managed to get it irreversibly stuck on an environmental object. I'd go on, but I just hated the demo so much that it gains this spot with ease. Edit: I seriously can't grasp what Capcom are thinking these days, I really can't, they want COD's sales levels? Then do it without Resident Evil. Keep Resi as a reliable income source from dedicated fans and make a new IP that doesn't suck. I'll have to leave it here or this'll just become a Capcom rant.

Battlefield 3: The game just didn't live up to what I wanted from it, it's a good game, but it just wasn't fun enough most of the time. It also had some severe balancing issues for months after release. I enjoyed Bad Company 2 a hell of a lot more, and rather than fancy flashlight effects and vain attempts at photorealism, I'd have prefered to be able to knock buildings down with rocket launchers. Just diappointment in general, I adored BC2 too much for BF3 to topple it from it's throne.

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1: Ask an old Sonic fan, the kind that still has their MegaDrive in working order and ready to go with a hue stack of games, or any retro gamer, what makes 2D Sonic so enjoyable, and they'll tell you it's the pace and flow of the game. With floaty physics and a weird acceleration curve Sonic 4 (Episode 2 is guilty too, but less so) is a huge disappointment for myself and many other fans. It also lacked much original content and had a relatively poor soundtrack, it wasn't ear rupturing levels of awful, but for a SOnic game it was poor, even Sonic 06 can boast a great OST. Alas Blue Blur, you're guilty of a lot of disappointment, may your next title be as good as Colours was.

Edit:Removed Arkham City, had 6, done derped there.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
The Amazing Spider-Man
Prototype 2
The Old Republic
I heard those were all very disappointing games. Especially Ultimate Tenkaichi (I love Dragon Ball, hence I avoid the games these days..)

I'd like to add pokemon diamond and pearl if only they'd come out in the time frame specified, just for being kind of boring. Platinum fixed it, but I was bored of Sinnoh by then.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Metal Gear Solid 4, definately. Somehow worse than Metal Gear Solid 2. A fucking achievement if there ever was one.

Resident Evil 5 was a disappointment, too, but it is soon to become a game I'll be looking back to fondly with the release of Resident Evil 6.
With the release of the Resi 6 demo I was looking back on 5 with fond memories. ): Read my previous post for more details. God damn it 4 was gold I don't know what Capcom are thinking...

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
1. Mass Effect 3: A COD in space shooter that forgot all that made the previous games fun. Also an ending that destroyed the series.

2. Just Cause 2: Heard this game was amazing. Its meh at best.

3. Diablo 3: The coolest parts of the preview videos turned out to be lies. And the game progressed down samey-clickey-dungeon-wahey.

4. Guild Wars 2: Don't get me wrong: I still like GW2. But the fun story missions are broken up with grindy slogs through areas where you just kill things until your bar is full and then you move on. Even worse, as you progress in level the time between these fun missions increases and you're stuck with more grind than necessary. Granted that's the mmo formula but at least WoW has an over-arching story to these quests with actual reasons to do them which makes them feel less like work and more like fun. GW2 still does a lot right in the combat/grouping department and the story missions are great. I just wish I didn't have to bore myself to death for X hours before I can get to the next one.

5. Dragon Age 2: I actually didn't hate this game in fact I kinda liked it so I won't spew bile for hours like everyone else. Didn't like how the entire thing was a collection of side quests or how often the game repeated areas and always threw extra enemies at you when you thought you were done.

Games I was surprised to enjoy:

1. Deus Ex:HR : I looked at this game and thought it was a boring modern shooter but after hearing some hype and finally running out of other things to play I gave it a try and loved it.

2. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria : After trying GW2 I thought my WoW days were over but I gave it one last try and found that this game is actually good (as mmos go). The pandas aren't as childish as people feared, the lands are very pretty in that wow cartoony style and a sense of exploration is back.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Ok, its not in the time boundaries but I played it a few months ago because I had never gotten into it back in the Gamecube days. I'm very surprised. The game is old and yet the cartoony design holds up well. Gameplay isn't too bad and this has to be the first Zelda game where Link has more emotions than happy and shocked. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite the fact that its almost 10 years old.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
1: SWTOR, I really love anything with the Star Wars atmosphere, and while it had a subscription fee I had a lot of fun with it...to a point. You cannot play this game solo, and I know that's not what it's for, but dang. I think I found my niche, Single player games with an MMO structure.
2: Just Cause 2, it had a giant map, but the fastest air transport still took forever to get anywhere. It would have given a bigger sense of vastness as well, but there was nothing to fucking DO. It was a nice escapism game, it was beautiful, but it was also dull.
3: Sleeping Dogs, I had a huge gripe with the vehicular handling. It was really...I don't know how to describe it. I'd say too safe, and the cars had no real weight to them. They made turning overly simplistic. Also, I had a hard time caring about the story, it truly was a GTA 4 clone. But it was fun, and messing around was a nice time killer.

I can't think of anymore right now.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
ITT: People saying great games are "the most disappointing games" because of 1 tiny flaw it had.

Seriously people, after you write your post, read it again and just think about it. Is that tiny mistake really that a huge disappointment.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Earthfield said:
4- Rage: Promised a Fallout experience without the limitations Fallout had, plus vehicles. Had none... well, it had vehicles.
This confuses me. When was it being touted as similar to Fallout? I can't even put them in the same genre. Sandbox RPG vs. what's essentially a corridor FPS.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 - Such a disappointment, shorter, worse story. Gameplay was fine but everything was really shiny.
Saints row 2 - Hyped up, when I finally got to play it I was massively disappointed, it was just crap.
Just Cause 2 - Kinda got bored of blowing shit up after awhile, still had fun.
Skyrim - So very empty, nothing meant anything in that game, it was all so pointless and empty.
Ass' creed Revelations - Short, repetitive, boring. Online actually saves it.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I don't think I can come up with 5 games for this list, though I have two.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Multiplayer was pretty good, though it never held my attention unless I had friends on at the same time to party up with. It's the campaign which is the real reason it immediately came to mind.

Fable III. Gave initially good impressions but the more I played it, the less there was. Found the world to be small, the enemies to be unvaried and repetitive, combat was lacklustre and unchallenging... Glitches and bugs were pretty awful too. Lost 5-6 hours of progress from a freeze during loading despite saving multiple times. Also had a wife that was apparently living in my house but whom was completely invisible. Was unable to interact with npcs for hours. Oh, and all my weapons lost their stats / progress.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Only Knights in the Nightmare and Gungnir come to mind right now as games I expected to enjoy but didn't over the last four years. I'm pretty damn selective about my games and don't have the highest expectations in the world.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution gets a nod for the reverse, though; it was a game I expected not to like, but did. I also played some Call of Duty multiplayer once for the hell of it, just as a one-off thing of whimsy, and found myself surprisingly annoyed that I was as horrible at it as I was. I deliberately went out of my way to improve at it and became a consistently strong player, and... it felt good to overcome my own awfulness. There have been times I've been legitimately entertained while going on mad sprees and outwitting other people. I'll probably never play another game of the series (which may be because the greedy sons of bitches charge so fricking much for it as much as anything), but I don't regret expanding my horizons a bit and trying something new.