Your current book...

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
ShadeHedgehog1 said:
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Good book so far, sad thing is, one of my fav minor characters dies near the end...
And by minor characters you mean poor Prim? Don't make me cry again.

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
I am reading The Ring of Solomon right now. Its a wonderful book, definitely on my top ten reads.

Nuckelavee

Jun 12, 2010
Comparative psychology in the twentieth century.
Communist Manifesto (I finally get to finish it, my old copy was confiscated by one of my teachers.)

Aside from that my read-list is remarkably thin, only a few reports here and there along with whatever interestiong points a doctor-friend of mine sends me. I hate reading when I try writing a new book.

Jerej

Jan 6, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I will when I get done with Demons, I've been meaning to get to him anyways.

True, and I think what's boring me is when I read that flow of thought is when it's done poorly, I've read a few books like that and I find it almost insulting. I'm not trying to sound superior, but I just don't like being told the main idea and the branches are too simplistic, and I have these 'what if' thoughts.

And that's the best part, looking for that one brilliant man or idea that speaks volumes because of what i it, and I think that's why Karl Marx, regardless of his ideals, was so popular in his time, a radical idea clashing against current situations.
Well to be honest, the flow of thought is a really popular method that shoves the opinions of characters down your throat, but lets you decide, by yourself or by observing their actions objectivly, do you believe it or not. So even with the obvious branches and stuff it can be done nicely.

Exactly, most men that started something in every aspect of human creativity, was a tradition breaker, be it from Marx to Hitler, or Giordano Bruno to Camus, E.A. Poe to Jules Verne, they all started something new. And there's a ton more waiting to be found.

Brendan Main

Jul 17, 2009
Jerej said:
The man knew how to write, it's written as easy as Harry Potter, and it means something.
Oh, certainly. I agree on all three points. I just meant that I always feel a little silly recommending The Overcoat to anyone expressing an interest in Russian realism, since they've probably had it recommended to them a thousand times before me. I'm just content to be the 1001st.

(In fact, in scrolling back through the posts, I see you recommended it a few posts before me. I'm always slow on the draw on this sort of thing.)

Jerej said:
And damn, I knew i forgot to mention the moustaches, but hey, Russians and Ukrainians should be synonyms for them eh? Dem crazy Slavs.
And be sure to check out his other works, namely They or Others (again, don't know the english name, don't care) was written as he was going SLIGHTLY mad and started seeing ghosts everywhere, it's a spiritual twin brother to Diaries of a madman.
You know, my favorite is still Dead Souls (or however you'd translate "Myortvyje Dushi.") There's just something about Chichikov traveling around, buying up the corpses of dead serfs that cracks me up every time. It's like the longest, best-written dead baby joke in the history of literature.

One Seven One

Feb 5, 2009
Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz.

The story of it has something to do with a few kids getting stuck in an old abandoned insane asylum, as far as I can tell.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
A little something with Necrenomicon on the front big bold and golden. It's a compilation of a lot of different Lovecraft stories. Technically I'm a little over half way through "At The Mountains of Madness".

Synthenoid

Dec 30, 2010
TheLazyKnight said:
I've had a quick glance over Death Troopers, not realy enough to discern anything other than it was a Star Wars horror, would you recomend it, though, is the big question?

Right now I'm at the last chapter of the Mists of Avalon by Marion Bradley. I would highly recomend this to anyone interested in the legend of Arthur or just looking for a nice fantasy style book, as it is a wonderful re-imagining with very in-depth and humanised characters.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Right now I'm reading the stories by H.P. Lovecraft, which is probably why I reference it in everything. I also read Sherlock Holmes, which I will do much more when I'm done with the cosmic entities of pure terror in an alternate plane of existence. Although, I don't think I'm taking the fun little plush Cthulhu off the top of my monitor any time soon. He makes it look awesome.

Jerej

Jan 6, 2011
Brendan Main said:
[
Oh, certainly. I agree on all three points. I just meant that I always feel a little silly recommending The Overcoat to anyone expressing an interest in Russian realism, since they've probably had it recommended to them a thousand times before me. I'm just content to be the 1001st.

(In fact, in scrolling back through the posts, I see you recommended it a few posts before me. I'm always slow on the draw on this sort of thing.)

You know, my favorite is still Dead Souls (or however you'd translate "Myortvyje Dushi.") There's just something about Chichikov traveling around, buying up the corpses of dead serfs that cracks me up every time. It's like the longest, best-written dead baby joke in the history of literature.
Understand that, there probably isn't a live person on the planet that's friends with a book reader that didn't get that recommended.

And have to agree on that, the man is something you'd expect in a japanese cartoon (over the top lecherous bastard) but it works so damn fine.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
My Developmental Psychology textbook.....what? It counts. I find it to be entertaining. Of course, I am a big nerd.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Im reading "The Heroes" from Joe Abercrombie. This guy totally rocks with his fantasy books :D i highly recommend that you guys read his First law Trilogy! it wont dissapoint you :))

Gunsang

Jun 7, 2010
I am currently reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. The book I got has Heart of Darkness and three more stories of his. So far Heart of Darkness is a pretty good book.
Aur0ra145 said:
War and Peace. I'm about half way, started it last week.
You're a braver man than I am.
StoneCutter said:
Just about to start Dune. Heard it's really good, but it sucks I have a deadline to finish it.
Nice. Dune is one of my favorite books of all time, I hope you enjoy it.

mrnomas

May 17, 2010
It depends on which room I'm in. In one bathroom I'm just about done with Mogworld (will probably finish today or tomorrow). In the other I'm about a quarter of the way through a second reading of Crown of Shadows by CS Freedman. If I'm in any other room of the house I'm usually reading an eBook - right now it's Bob Moore: No Hero by Tom Andry. Next up is probably a re-read of a few HP Lovecraft tales (it's been a while) and I was actually thinking of either A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin or maybe some Heinlein.

mrnomas

May 17, 2010
Synthenoid said:
Right now I'm at the last chapter of the Mists of Avalon by Marion Bradley. I would highly recomend this to anyone interested in the legend of Arthur or just looking for a nice fantasy style book, as it is a wonderful re-imagining with very in-depth and humanised characters.
I read that a long while ago but I can't remember liking it that much. I might have to give it a second chance.