Your favorite unappreciated video game

metza

Oct 8, 2009
fire emblem. although since a few people already mentioned it, perhaps it's not as underappreciated as it seems.

Apathetic Flamingo

Apr 13, 2009
Not many people about the best Mario game ever made. I LOVED Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. But most people think I'm talking about Paper Mario when I say Mario RPG...

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
It's been mentioned, but Outcast is one game which sticks in my mind, these days it's ridiculously hard to install and play.. but worth getting it running. I loved the story, the fantastic elements and the organic feel to the whole thing.

Siege of Avalon always gets me playing it again, it's episodic approach was revolutionary at the time.. cheap episodes released frequently (You listening valve?) and a deep gripping story.

X-Beyond the Frontier was the first game to make me feel actually lost in space.. I sank hours into that game.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
syndicated44 said:
Frankydee said:
Descent Freespace. An awesome space combat/flight sim that didn't get much reception.
Yes and more yes. Maybe freelancer in that list also. I remember my dad playing descent 1 and 2 obsessively.

Homeworld (all of them) for me though!
Ditto on Homeworld, adding the X series. Ridiculously steep learning curve, but after that that game was the shit man.

ZlagarX

Sep 15, 2009
b0bs0 said:
Probably Mount and Blade. If you can see past the incredibly low production value, it's truly a great RPG!
Damn right, Mount and Blade deserve more love!

DarkGargoyle

Nov 18, 2009
Bethesda's Pirates of the Caribbean, which was basically a Disney rebranding of Sea Dogs. It had everything I'd wanted from a pirate game, even if every feature was painfully badly done. It did get modded to near-tolerability, so I still play it.

nart_21086

Nov 19, 2009
Arkvoodle said:
Destroy All Humans, obviously.
Yea I really don't understand why the masses despise this game.

It is the most fun you can have as a physically inept furon clone.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Triforceformer said:
O.T. I'd also say Sonic Unleashed got alot of undeserved backlash.
I really liked Sonic Unleashed and don't see why so many people didn't like it. It added a new way of playing as him, but maybe a lot of people got the 360 version that had the RPG parts to it instead of the Wii version which cut 90% of that out
I guess I'm pretty much one of the last Sonic fans around, we are a dying breed

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Okami. One of the best games ever made period.
I'm pretty sure that game is not as under appreciated as you think, I heard a lot of people liked it and until recently, I never owned a copy (at first I thought it looked weird but after my brother got it, I actually finished it before he got 2 hours in).

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
Probably fable 2, I personally agree with the high amount of criticism about the game but when it came to just fooling around with the good/evil/pure/corrupt aspect it was just plain fun.

Personally I hope they have more of the craping around aspect of it in fable three as well as hope they dont have painfully slow mandatory scenes so that I can feel better about the replay value of it.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
BNguyen said:
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Okami. One of the best games ever made period.
I'm pretty sure that game is not as under appreciated as you think, I heard a lot of people liked it and until recently, I never owned a copy (at first I thought it looked weird but after my brother got it, I actually finished it before he got 2 hours in).
It was certainly a critical success and to the vast majority whom bought it a pleasure to play, but due to it's out there design and concept was underwhelming in the sales department. Besides, unless every single person who can call themselves a gamer plays it and fully appreciates the massive leap of faith it took into an ocean of faceless FPSs and absolutely terrible football game remakes (seriously, what other genre could get away with releasing the same game 10 times?!), then it's way under appreciated on my insane scale of where it should come appreciation wise. Somewhere between the cure for cancer and the guy who gave you your first puppy.

ToastBuster

May 26, 2009
Battlefield Bad Company. That games is often treated like the Bastard child of the series but i love it.

RagingScottsman

Jul 21, 2009
Syphonz said:
Jet Set Radio Future.

My first time ever seeing cell-shaded graphics. I loved it.
Oh wow; such a good game. I can't even count the hours I burnt on this game just because of the music.

For me it was an old ps1 platformer: Jersey Devil. Were I to play it now I would probably hate it, but back when I was a youngster I had a lot of fun with that game. It was just so cool and has been all but forgotten. Which as a generic platformer really isn't surprising at all, so it's whatever.

MrPandarium

Nov 25, 2009
Chrono Cross, people seem to only remember Chrono Trigger but Chrono Cross was an almost flawless game.