Your favorite way to kill guards.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Shooting from a distance with a sniper has always been my favorite way to dispose of guards. Other than that, I'm pretty found of the stealth kills á la Assassin's Creed. Attacking a guard from behind and just keep walking makes me feel awesome.

thingymuwatsit

May 29, 2010
groinshot when possible, in RDR I like to shoot the legs of my victim before finishing them with a headshot as they fall down.
I would be terrible in the IRL military.

Lord_Nemesis

Paragon Printer
Nov 28, 2010
Metal Gear Solid: The Neck Snap.

Something very satisfying when your hear the SNAP and then lower their corpse to the ground.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
in assassins creed brotherhood, i would poison a guard then watch as everyone gathers in a group then toss coins near the guard when he starts to swing wildly.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
First I do some background checking to see which one would be the best one to choose first. I make acquaintance, have a couple beers with him/her, talk about this and that. During the next couple of weeks I proceed to befriend him, take part of his hobbies and continue to spend time with him. Now I've gained his trust, so I carefully lure him into a pyramid scam, that I've began a couple years before, with actually making an honest business with a clear record.

There's no chance of him not taking the bait. I also make sure that he thinks I'm not in any part of the pyramid scam as he has only dealt with a buddy of mine, who's actually me in a disguise. During the next few months all his invested money is gone, half of it come back as profits for him and then I've made him invest every last bit of money he could get anywhere. Now he's broke.

I've kept friends with him all along and his spirits have gone quite down with being broke, and the stress from it has snowballed into his others relationships getting worse, and all the people he has loaned money from don't think too highly of him anymore either. As he seeks help from me to his awful situation, I slightly put him down even more. At this point I've planted seeds of clear evidence of his wife cheating on him. As he begins to realize his wife being dishonest, I send a letter to her, which he'll read first with his raised suspicions. The letter makes him believe the affair had been going on for years.

I've sent the wife on a week long surprise holiday with the kids with the money I've got from the guard with the scam. I assure them I'll tell her husband and he'll join them later. At this point, as the only person he could trust, I've made him at least depressed and also an alcoholic or a drug fiend. Now I lie him, while he's intoxicated but with full of thought, that his wife has left him and taken the children with her because he had beaten and mistreated them. He can't remember it, but I ask him what he did the day before and he can't remember any of it, because I had drugged him unconscious for that day.

I confuse and depress him even more and suddenly break relations with him. While I'm leaving, I tell him that the neighborhood is furious with him, hearing rumors about him beating his family, doing hard drugs in front of his children etc. I leave his house and visit the neighbors telling terrible things about him. Even the breaking of windows around the neighborhood for the last week, is now an act that everyone's convinced of the guard being the culprit. After I took my last leave of his place, I had confiscated all his alcohol and drugs, but left a loaded gun in the house. There are also a dozen of tiny concealed audio players, full of recorded loud cries of help, around the house, with timers that set of simultaneously. The only movie he has, is Shawshank's Redemption, which he hasn't watched before. I've also edited it so that it ends the halfway through, on it's most saddest point. Now we've got everything set in the house, with the loaded gun as the cherry on the top. I also destroyed the lock on the main door so it can't be opened normally. Then there are the people from the neighborhood who are furious and will form an angry mob to crush his house and attack him.

That ought to do the trick. Then to the next guard...

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I tend to work totally against traditional approaches in games.

"It's an FPS? Use stealth and knives.
It's an RPG? Overwhelm with brute force rather than status effects.
It's a stealth game? Blow them up!"

Being unconventional is both more challenging and leads to bizarre responses from AI and humans alike. And in multiplayer modes, the unconventional tends to work strongly against the experience-based instincts of one's opponents.

No one ever expects one to leap down from above with a knife in Counter Strike, but that's why people are stunned when someone pulls it off. I play games just for those few moments when you pull off something that awesome.

To summarise this post for anime fans: you know Zaraki Kenpachi? Yeah. I can be a bit like that when I'm having fun.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
ethaninja said:
meowchef said:
ethaninja said:
meowchef said:
theonlyblaze2 said:
meowchef said:
Definitely the stabby kill in Alpha Protocol.
Holy crap! Someone else who played Alpha Protocol! (And enjoyed it?)
The game's awesome. Definitely worth a play to people who like dynamic stories/gameplay.
Did they manage to fix the shoddy accuracy issue?
Never had a problem with it. It's an RPG, not a shooter.
True. But still, I thought the point of having guns were to, you know, shoot. Especially for a game that is supposed to include "stealth" attributes.
Well, both the pistol and the assault rifle can be qquite accurate if you spend a few seconds lining up a shot. The more points you put into the respective skill and the more money you spend on upgrading your weapons, the less time it takes to make an accurate shot. So when you start off you need to be quite patient with your shots but later in the game you can tear through your enemies, especially when using the weapons special abilities.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood brought so much variety... The crossbow brought sniping kills to heavily armored guards, while maintaining stealth. I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy keeping to a "no collateral damage" mantra, though it is hard to maintain the further you progress in the game. For the multiplayer, I love the way the Harlequin slithers over and around her target to deliver the killing blow... very reminiscent of Scarlett Johansson's hallway fight scene from Iron Man 2.

Metal Gear Solid series ingrained a deep need to live and let live. But from MGS2 and onward, I've taken to holding them up and putting a tranq dart right between their eyes after they've been shaken down.

In Mount & Blade: Warband, I have a Nord character that has become renowned for his prison breaks... many a purse has exchanged hands for his retrieval of many a nobleman's relative or loved one. In a city, he'll start with a Heavy Great Axe to cleave the first guard's head in twain, then switch to his shield and two stacks of Balanced Heavy Throwing Axes. The remaining soldiers will approach, raise their weapon (and lower their shield), and catch an axe blade in their skull from four paces away. If the prisoner is being held in a castle, then he carries 3 stacks of throwers and his shield, help reduce the number of archers from range, or at least gain their attention to keep them from pincushioning the escaped prisoner.

The Hitman series was very fun to try and make a clean kill and getaway in, but sometimes a good garroting or crossbow bolt to the head was needed to clear a path. Being able to gain entry into a compound then slowly take out each and every patrolling guard, leaving just the unaware mark, was a unique challenge in itself. I think I replayed the Italian villa mission from Hitman 2: Silent Assassin over a dozen times, each time with a new strategy or personal challenge.

CactiComplex

Jan 22, 2011
Overwhelming brute force, usually something with explosives involved, because I suck at stealth.

I can be partial to sniping, though.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I like to snipe them and their buddies before they even know I'm there. Barring sniping though? I've noticed grenades work well in closed in spaces, and the shotguns/SMGs work well in close range. Barring guns/explosives, I'll sneak in and do either my patented "Flank and Shank" or "Surprise Asshole!" maneuvers. Those both involve sneaking up and shiving in the kidney, but the method is a little different.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
In TF2, I help build uber to kill the hell out of the sentries in their(or sometimes, our) intel room. Then, if anyone survives, I take Ze Blutsauger to them.

BeepBoopBrother

Jan 26, 2011
My favorite way has to be come Metal Gear Solid 3. Nothing is more satisfying to me in a sneaking game then luring a guard out with a careful tap on the wall and skillfully putting one of those KGB bastards in a chokehold.

I also enjoyed throwing live snakes and spiders on guards. Then shooting them in the face with a high-powered machine gun while they dance around in terror.

Ah, the simple things in life.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
In Assassin's Creed 2, I loved to poison the guards and watch them flail about as the crowd gathered around the crazy man swinging his sword everywhere.

If that's not efficient enough for the job, I like to jump down with the double hidden blades, kill two guards, kill a third before he has time to react, then finish off the last one with a counter attack with the hidden blade. In large fights, I usually stick to spamming the counter attack button with either the hidden blade or the dagger. If the fight gets too messy, I throw down a smoke bomb and kill a few while they're recovering starting with the armored guards with polearms, as they're the hardest to get the timing down for, and work down from officer to regular guard.

In games like Red Faction, I like to set up explosives. Especially on bridges or in such a way that the environment finishes them off.

Sniper rifles are fun too, but only if they don't instantly give away your position. It's a lot funner to watch the guards scramble to find out where the shot came from.