Your First Anime

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
1. Dragonball I would have to say
2. I was watching cartoon network and it came on and I thought it was awesome how they shot lasers out of their hands.
3. Yeah, but I could never find another one I liked. Samurai Champloo was pretty cool but that only has like 18 episodes, and I tried to watch Macaroni Kenshit or whatever the fuck that show was called but I think it got canceled or something. I dunno, it doesnt matter to me if something is animated or not but it's got to be entertaining. From my experience with anime it's hard to find something that isnt
a) One of those dumbass ones where even if it has an action related plot 90% of it takes place in a school talking about social crap. (I didn't care about MY OWN social life, I refuse to care about the social endeavors of some drawing.)
b) Extremely cliche (once you've seen one party of adventurers with various abilities you've seen them all)
c) HAY LOOK WE DREW BEWBS! (I could care less about watching cartoons bump uglies)

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
DBZ, Pokemans, and Yugioh don't count.

My first anime was Full Metal Panic. I watched it with the gaming club at college my freshman year (we watched 3 episodes every Friday). It did inspire me to watch more, but I'm not a fanatic and absolutely MUST watch the latest thing. If the concept sounds interesting, I'll give it a try.

My favorites (besides FMP) have been Cowboy Bebop, Samurai 7, Azumanga Daioh, Hellsing, and Samurai Champloo.

The ones I've picked up and dropped because they were meh: Wolf's Rain, Chobits, Elfen Lied, Bleach, and a few others I can't remember.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Sailor Moon, unfortunately. It aired at about 4 o'clock on weekdays, which was right about the time the bus dropped me off at my house so as soon as I walked in the door I'd head straight to the T.V. and catch the opening song.

awesomeemosewa

Aug 21, 2009
1: naruto
2: no idea
3: i thougt like this ''hey mayby there is more cartoons'' (yes i said cartoons at that time) and then i watched black lagoon and BAM! im hooked.

Zephaniah

Sep 15, 2009
1 ~ Laputa: Castle In The Sky (THE original subbed version, not the disney crap)
2 ~ My dad recorded it from channel 4 early in the 90's for me and my sister when we were around 5/6yo.
3 ~ Indeed, to this day it's still my favourite anime, so much so that I even got a tattoo based on it (sad but hey, it captivated me for 20years and still love it today =D)

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Starke said:
1. Seven Cities of Gold, (technically it wasn't an anime in the same way Avatar isn't.)
Mysterious Cities of Gold was animated in Japan, it was just written in France.

More Fun To Compute said:
1. Something like Gatchaman or X-Bomber.
I would probably also say Star Fleet, because I remember watching it on TV after coming home from pre-school. But, Star Fleet, although it was by Go Nagai, the man who invented giant robot anime, wasn't anime, it was a puppet show.

The first anime I conciously watched and knew it was an anime was Akira, when it was on BBC2. That pretty much sealed the deal, I was an anime watcher from then on, initially subsisting on Mangle Video's notoriously sweary and violent VHS releases like GenoCyber and Devil Man. (Their dub of Cyber City Oedo 808 is better than the original precisely because they replaced every third word with the word 'fuck' just to up the BBFC rating)

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
1) Teknoman (tekkaman blade)
2) it aired on Fox Kids when i was a kid, and thus a tv-addict. The commercials for it were so awesome that i just had to watch it.
3) Yes and no. I have tried to watch others, but for some reason most of them didn't live up to my expectations. Also most 'good ones' are too long for my liking. Teknoman lasted around 50 episodes which was enough for me. Don't feel like sitting through the 200+ episodes of lets say, bleach ;p

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
1. Starblazers.

2. It was on TV before school began.

3. I was a kid. I would watch any cartoon regardless of which country produced it.

Jamielordofgingers

Aug 5, 2009
1: Digimon, if that doesn't count Cardcaptors or Excel Saga

2: Digimon and Cardcaptors where on tv a lot when i was about ten, but a friend recently showed me Excel Saga, restarting my love of anime.

3: yeah, i watch more anime now then ever before. just finished with Full Metal Alcemist

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Uhh excluding DBZ, Pokemon - Basically Toonami

1. Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop
2. Stayed up one night and saw adultswim. Wondered what it was and say awesomeness for 4 straight hours.
3. Most definitely now. I figured if there was more sword swinging and demons im all for it.

Forl0rn

Apr 30, 2009
1) Trigun
2) One of my Friends, at a party of all things.
3) Kinda, that was more my Girlfriend, she got me into watching Elfen Lied But Trigun was AWSOME

Skwee

Jul 22, 2009
1) Cowboy Bebop/inuyasha
2) I was 5, I had the flu, threw up in my bed, moved out to the living room, parents turned on Cartoon Network, Adult swim was on and I watched all the mature shit that was a fun time ^-^
3) no rather the growth of anime in my scene of friends got me back into and I watch all the old classics (Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and my all time favorite Serial Experiments Lain)as well as some of the newer stuff, but not much it's all perverse and incredibly dull...

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
1) Sailor Moon
2) It was part of the pantheon of children's morning television when I was in primary school. I used to get up early and watch it with my sister =).
3) Not specifically - studying Japanese later in primary school probably had more to do with it.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Mobile Suit: Gundam Wing. I first saw it when I was 9, on Cartoon Network, back when they actually aired intellectually stimulating anime. And of course what nerd doesn't love giant robots?

QGandalf

Aug 21, 2008
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Some friends of mine played the theme song for a music assignment, so I watched an episode when it was on TV.
3. I watched the whole season and the movie and loved it. Since then I've seen a few more but nothing has ever come close to the awesome that is Bebop.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Ghost in the Shell. I watched one episode, and left it there. Anime isn't really my thing, I guess.

konkwastaken

Jan 16, 2009
1) Rurouni Kenshin
2) Came free with a Tenchu game on ps2
3) It did make me want to watch more, however at the time i had 56k dial up so streaming was out of the question and i couldnt find any of the other DVDs.