Your home town's claim to fame

javelinstark

Sep 19, 2011
worlds largest tram and maybe billy the kid but i cant remember if all those things he did were in albuquerque or somewhere else...

OH and i can honestly say we have the best green chili anywhere

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
CrashBang said:
My home town (Hereford, England) isn't really famous for anything except for the Mappa Mundi and cider but I recently found out that Frank Oz (the voice of Yoda and Miss Piggy) was originally born there and then moved to the USA.

Pretty awesome.
Isn't Hereford where the SAS are based?

OT; My home area is not very famous for an ambush during the war of independence. 104 Irishmen ambushed an armoured convoy of 1200 men, killed 19 of them and disappeared, leaving behind 3 of their own dead. Apparently, this was worthy of being called a famous victory, and having a monument erected at the site. Mathematically I would have though that was a defeat for the Irish, or a very ambiguous victory at best, but hey, there's a monument. Having said that, the only people who seem to know the place are those living within 10 minutes of it, and locals who still think the IRA are great.

MOXron

May 10, 2011
Seeing as I'm from New Zealand, and we're a pretty small place, I think the only claim to fame my city (Hastings) has is that we host the Horse Of The Year show every year, a pretty prestigious event in the international horsing world, I hear...that's not much, but the region I live in, Hawkes Bay is the first place in the modern world to see the sun each day.
Also, Karl Urban was born 3 hours from where I live, in our capital, Wellington.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot Peter Jackson! The movie legend; he has a place in Wellington, and was born in NZ too...

silent299

Mar 29, 2011
Town that I currently live in: Kingston, Ontario. Home of the Royal Military College of Canada, Canada's only federally operated and funded university.

Town where I originally come from: Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Home to the world's largest lobster fishing grounds, and has the highest lobster catch in Canada. (lol)

Soisait

Nov 7, 2009
Gustavsberg, Sweden: Famous for porcelain.
And toilets. Don't forget the toilets.

kurtzy23

Aug 26, 2010
I come from a small town in North Queensland in Australia called Mackay

All our town is known for is Sugar Cane and Coal.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Welshpool...torist attractions include a cock fighting ring that is no longer used, a light steam railway and powys castle.
It features shit rulers who have offically distroyed the town by basicly allowing tesco to redirect the down around there own store.
Other then that It has quite a good vintage car festival and country and western so get out your revolvers.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Oldest settlement in Victoria (Australia), did it's part in almost wiping out the whales (huge whaling town), but I guess the second one is more infamy then fame, was considered for the Capital of Victoria (lost to Melbourne, scum suckers), one of the deepest natural seawater harbours in the world (we were told deepest in school, but meh, grain of salt, can't find any details on the 'net so not going to take it as gospel), and has a huge expensive eyesore of a maritime "museum" that no-one in the town wanted and no-one visits because it's in the middle of no-where.

Oh and I had art classes in the same building Australia's first (maybe, don't keep up on it) Saint gave classes.

Tib088

Nov 28, 2009
Harrogate, I have no idea. I'll have to look this one up...

I guess the water thing? I have no idea, spend most of my time in Leeds or York :p

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
Rugby in England, the birthplace of Rugby Football and the setting for Tom Brown's School Days.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
The (probably) greatest Swedish revolutionary was born and started the rebellion here (against the Danish King of the Kalmar Union). There are various competitions in his honour each year, one of which is part of the Swedish Classic (a number of competitions, one skiing, one biking, one swimming and one running), which makes you eligible for a diploma.

The first locomotive built and used in Sweden was built for the railway out of this town, and was used exclusively for this line. It was awful.

People have most likely been living here since the stone age, and was an important mining town for over 1,000 years.

We have a (working) replica of a blast furnace from the 12th century, which I believe is holds the world record for being a working replica of the oldest blast furnace (as in, there are no functioning replicas of any older blast furnaces).

Every now and then a stage in the national championship in various forms of skiing take place here.

One of the first true strikes in Sweden took place here.

Not too shabby for a town of less than 6,000 nowadays.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
For me it's New York City, not much else to be said, I mean the economic capital of America. There are tons of things NYC is famous for.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Let's see...

It's where King Erik "the Saint" IX of Sweden was beheaded and allegedly where the head rolled a spring sprang up.

Carl von Linné studied here and became the rector. He's also buried at the cathedral.

Our cathedral is the biggest cathedral in Scandinavia.

We've also got the second oldest anatomical theatre in the world.

Both Olof Rudbecks were professors at the university here.

Anders Celsius was born here and was a professor at the university.

Dag Hammarskjöld (wiki) grew up and was buried here.

Ingmar Bergman was born here.

Pope John Paul II visited here 1989. (He kissed my cheek.)

Veronica Maggio came from here.

Carl M. Bellman (wiki) also studied here, but he's not much known outside of Sweden I don't think.

There is a ton of other claims to fame for my town but I can't be arsed to remember them all =P

EDIT: Oh and it's also the home-town of Peter No-Tail =D

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
Houston, we have hospitals, but not like normal ones, these ones are really good and really close together.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
I'm from Brighton in England. Gay capital of Britain, home of Fatboy Slim, one of the top tourist destinations in the UK.

I used to live in Brighton, but then I took... a course at a University elsewhere.