Your in-game phobias

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
In real and game life, it's spiders. Screw them

In only games - water. even shallow water gives me the heebily jeebilies.
And it's all because of Half-life...damned icthyasaurs. They've scared me in every game!
Oh, and slaughterfish in Morrowind and oblivion.
Stupid fuckers.

Dranae

Apr 19, 2011
For some reason my horrible IRL phobia of bugs doesn't carry over to videogames, but my nonexistent fear of deep water does.

I blame Shadow of the Colossus and Wind Waker.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
J-Alfred said:
Damn-Giant-Ants-From-Fallout-3 phobia. Hate those scuttling buggers.
good god this... it's not like they're even threatening but a giant soldier ant has seen the business end of my fatman more then once.

Sub_Soldier

Jun 11, 2010
Being chased in an fps scares the shit out of me, for example, the rabid bear in Condemned 2 and that water part in Amnesia....

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I get unreasonably afraid of enemies that can poison me, or do damage over time while still causing regular damage. It suddenly puts more of a time crunch on killing them and getting myself patched up, plus it makes me use up my recovery items faster and I HATE using those up too quickly.

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
Fucking Spiders. They scare the shit out of me. On the bright side there are no games where clowns attack.

My phobias are clowns and spiders. God forbid i run into a clown spider

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Same as you OP; Water. GET THAT VILE LIQUID AWAY FROM ME! whenever its around you know that your mission is going to be twelve times harder.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Unstealthophobia.

Fear of getting caught.

It's probably pretty accurate to how I would respond in a similar situation in real life. If I were sneaking around trying not to be attacked by big ass guards with guns or swords, I'd be pretty highly strung about it.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
dark areas I just know something big and angry is in there and wants to eat my face

I also flee if and when envorment things change suddenly

like in one skyrim dungeon theres a path over water you have to walk on to get to the loot but when you do statues rise out of the water as soon as they did I fled the room and hid in a corner

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
That sewer level in ape escape scared me. The draw distance sucked so it was all dark and that big pipe scared me for some reason.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
Skyrim made me scared of tight spaces. And Undead. So i hate Nordic tombs.
I also Hate Zombies. Will rarely lay a game with them. Except Dead Rising.
Skyrim also made me araid of dragons for a bit. Now i just rush the guys axe swining like a mad man.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Not sure if this is exactly what you were after, but in games I have a phobia of using items in case I need them later on. I usually reach the end of the game bursting with power-up items I never used.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Giant spiders in any game and the scorpions in Fallout 3 and New Vegas I dont mind the ones in the orignal Fallouts though.

Captcha DNA torment

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Daget Sparrow said:
It might not translate into real life, but...the Redeads from Ocarina of Time. Gimme a horror game or zombie shooter, and I'll handle them. Stick a Redead in front of me...that's a different story.

Here's that different story:

The first time I met them, I'd accidentally stumbled into that tomb where you get the Sun Song (y'know the one...right?). Approached the first one...instantly frozen. Then he proceeds to jump on me and start eating my face. At the time, I had absolutely no idea what to do in this situation, so I watched helplessly as the zombie steadily cut away at my health 'till, inevitably, I died.

That very first encounter terrified me from then on. I couldn't bear to go back into the tomb, and every time I ever had to meet a Redead I seized up. A few times I had to ask my younger siblings to complete a few areas for me. That was embarrassing...

Eventually, I conquered my fears when I plunged into the Shadow Temple, but they resurfaced in Majora's Mask just the same. Good thing they danced whenever I put that mask on.
yeah, i had a similar problem, but with berzerkers in gears of war (the first one). i literally had to give the controller to someone else so i could continue being a co-op partner. i managed to get through the second one with very brown trousers, but the third one, on the train so there's no space to manouvre, made me brown my trousers AND give the controller to someone else!

besides that, zombies, or otherwise any intentionally scary not-quite-dead things. the only reason i can play killing floor is because 1. they are christmas themed (so i probably will stop playing for a while when thats done) 2. they die easy and with nice explosions and 3. there are teammates watching your back 99.999% of the time, and when you turn around to see that new threat, it just makes you feel safe when you see it explode at someone else's hand.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Chalk another one up for water. I was stuck in Shadow of the Colossus for 3 days becuase I wouldn't duck underwater to find the swimming colossus, even though I somehow knew I'd have to. In Final Fantasy 7, I came out of the sunken airplane, and Emerald Weapon was right next to the plane. I turned the game off. I'm not afraid of water in real life, but I can't swim either. I'd say there's a connection, but nobody I know likes water in games.

Also, cheat codes. My heart always races a little entering a cheat code for the first time, and unexpected graphic changes have prompted me to turn the game off in the past. This one, I know, stems from a fear of breaking my game or system in attempting the code. Unreasonable, I know, but I can't shake it.