Your in-game phobias

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Heights. I am always afraid I am going to fall off cliffs to my death in video games. This only really applies to first person games.

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
Getting caught in any stealth based situation. Fuck the Dwarven ball sentries in Skyrim. I have 87 sneak skill, Dark Brotherhood Boots, and the silent perk...YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DETECT ME WHEN SNEAKING FROM BEHIND, YOU HEALTH-SPONGY 3-SHOTTING BASTARD! ಠ_ಠ

Outside of that, whenever there's a sudden lack of noise...or footsteps that aren't mine in a place I'd thought empty.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Spiders in games dont bother me as much as they do in real life. I think its cause I have the power to light them on fair from a distant and watch them squirm as they burn.

So I think my worst fear in games in Crits in nuzlockes.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Any scary fucker that can insta-kill you. I think it stems from the shark bastard from Jak and Daxter 1. You know when the first time it happens it scares the shit out of you, and then you have to jump and spin kick out of the water whenever you reach a point where you need to swim. Same for the one is Ratchet and Clank 2. And the first time facing Death in Persona 3. The jingling chains are nightmarish.

Also, enemies that make no noise or do anything to you if they're already 2 inches from behind you until you turn around and look at them.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
Really, only things that come at me quickly and are impossible to kill. If they are scary looking and i have to run away, all the more terrifying.

Exhibit A:

I don't hate spiders, but if 6 Aussie-sized buggers are chasing you through a claustophobia inducing maze, with panicky music going off, you quickly learn to hate them.

Exhibit B:

NO......just ....no

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
... Water. It's not so much of a problem if I know that nothing can attack while in water (ie, Fallout: NV), but when we're talking about times when the game is literally asking for a fight in the water (ie, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker: EVERY SINGLE ENEMY YOU RUN INTO CAN KILL YOU WHILE YOU'RE IN THE DAMN WATER), that creeps me the hell out.
I never finished this one Rayman game (I don't remember the name, and I don't care to) because of that. I was enjoying it, then a giant octopus thing appears and then disappears by going down, and then they want me to go into the fucking water?! I dropped the controller, shut off my PlayStation, and played Ocarina of Time for the next three weeks.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008

Being stuck in a room with one of these.
They're not scary... but once you're cornered... NNNNGGHGHHGHGHHGHGHGHGGETMEOUTTAHERE

Endorenna

Jan 1, 2012
Let's see here...

1) Water. Specifically, deep water. If it's just a few inches deep, then whatever. Not much that can hurt me can fit there. But deep water, even clear water, isn't good. Murky or cloudy water is even worse. Just being in it can kill you, and if there's something in there with you who means you harm, you are going to have trouble getting away. Sharks, for instance, can swim a helluva lot faster than a person. There's no chance to get away, and if something in the water is coming after you, it's probably big enough that you can't get away. Though, in cartoony water, I'm good, strangely enough. Mario, WoW, stuff like that--doesn't scare me. Same with artificial pools that I know for a fact don't contain creatres. It's the mostly realistic, "wild" stuff that bothers me.

2) Things that might eat me. Seriously, I don't do that. See sharks, zombies, and zombie dogs. Things that are large enough to eat me whole bring a whole new level of fear into it.

3) Big snakes. Little snakes, whatever. I'll shoot them. Big snakes, especially ones like the Resident Evil snake (i.e. fangs large enough to impale you, and a mouth big enough to just swallow you whole)...no. Ugh. No. That freaks me out.

4) The dark, from which things can jump out and grab you, or sneak up on you and be there without you even seeing them until far, far too late. Which is why I will never, ever play Silent Hill.

5) First person (in games only, not in real life, haha). I am always afraid of something sneaking up behind me.

To give an example...I have very, very bad insomnia, and I literally have not slept in four days. This morning before work, I played Batman: Arkham Asylum, and the Killer Croc section woke me up and had me completely alert, clutching my controller and staring at the screen intently in fear until the section was done and I was out of the sewer. I will forever be grateful to the developers of Arkham Asylum for giving me musical cues and prompts to run when Killer Croc showed up. Having three of my phobias combined into one neat package creeped the hell out of me.

Another example: Tomb Raider: Underworld. The same three phobias combined as in Batman. The first level, where you dive deeeeeeep into the Mediterannean Sea to hunt out some ruins, scared me so badly I left the game on pause for three days after diving down and spotting the faint shadow of a shark, and it took some serious mental preparation to dive into the water from Lara's boat in the first place. I finally made it through that portion of the level, but when I reached a room with a giant Kraken in a pool of water, one that didn't even attack me, really, and I accidentally fell into the water...cue another three-day pause before I could convince myself to go climb out. That's not to mention the random pools of water in the level that also scared me. Swimming out of the ruins in that level almost sent me into panic mode again. It was ridiculous.

Then, in the second level, there was a bay at the beginning of the level with perfectly clear water. It was beautiful. And there were sharks in it. Cue another three-day pause. Then I had to swim in it again to leave, except that time it was through a tunnel leading into the bay, so I had the danger of drowning.

And, to top it off, Underworld's last level featured a huge section full of murky water with BIG sharks that couldn't be killed quickly until they were close enough to bite you. That level scared me the first time. The second time I reached it, when I convinced myself to play through the game a second time? That was eight months ago, and I still haven't convinced myself to go work on the level.

Yeah, I haven't slept for four days. I'm rambling. And yes, I signed up to the website mainly to post this. ;)

ShakyFt Slasher

Feb 3, 2011
I hate getting chased by something that is off camera. When the villagers would chase me in RE4 and RE5 I would practically flip out!

CthulhuMessiah

Apr 28, 2011
Insanity72 said:
But as for me, it's water. Any water that's deep enough that my character has to swim. Especially if it's dark and you can't see whats around you very well, I never know what could come out at me....or from behind me *shiver*. This probably comes from me disliking any deep water that i can't see my feet in, even if it's just a swimming pool at night, if i'm by myself and can't see my feet i'll be creeped out.
Basically, that.

I blame the eel in Super Mario 64.

"Hey look how nice and calm the music is- OHBANANAWHYDOESTHATEXIST!?!?!?!?!?"

I was young at the time...

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
Actually, one of my video game phobias manifested into one of my phobias I have in reality; bees.

Most of the time, they're pretty much invincible and want to make your life miserable. At least, for most of the games I grew up playing. I think that it left a strong enough impression on me as a child that to this day, I am still deathly terrified of stinging insects.

As far as fears that are unique to games, time limits have always terrified me. Other than that, I fear vulnerability in games. I will have a panic attack is enemies come after me and I'm unarmed. However, even if I have a weapon, I have a powerful fear of those enemies that can kill you in one hit, invincible or not. (ie: Dr. Salvador/Bella sisters in RE4 and Pyramid Head in SH2)

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
Arkham City with its giant shark? No way man, I don't care if its attacks are just scripted.
Oh that reminds me of an Indiana Jones game when there was a giant crocodile, needless to say, i didn't play it anymore.

Sleipnir said:
even when I was playing Jaws Unleashed
Oh yes i remember that game, i was fine with it, except in those areas where there was hardly any sea life around, no fish, no plant life not anything just water. Then all of a sudden a freaking whale comes out of no where and takes up half my screen!

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
Water sections in games that have sharks. I was screaming like a little ***** in
Arkham City in the Iceberg Lounge
when the shark popped put. Large spiders, don't like 'em IRL and don't like 'em in games. Also I don't like getting what I call "off screened" in games. You know when something out of your field of view sneaks up and attacks you out of no where. The cougars and bears in Red Dead Redemption were notorious for this.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
What I do have Arachnophobia but I ain't afraid of ingame spiders (thank you uncanny valley). However what I fear in game is the creepy voices like e.g. the Regenerator in Resident Evil 4. It creep me out so much I either turn the volume down or mute it (which make it harder for me when they ambush me).
Oh yeah, It took me a while before I got use to hearing them breathe.

Complete silence... then "hhehhehurrhurrharhar"... Suddenly the ambient sound plays when they come into view. *shiver*

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Deathclaws, and thanks to New Vegas, tarantula hawks (though if I lived in Nevada, I might be terrified of those little bastards anyway).

Tipatap

Aug 7, 2011
The Emergency Status Alarm in the vaults from Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas. Dear god. Vaults are to be treated with caution, and fear, in my book. In 3, from your near-murder in the beginning which was completely unwarranted, to the surprise in Vault 87(I think), to the horrors that await in each other Vault.

I hypothesize that part of the fear is that the Vault residents
were never meant to survive their experiences, and that their trust was betrayed on one of the most basic levels. Poor saps never had a chance.

Combine that with the pre-apocalyptic idealism, and the alarm going every fucking time that you fucking go in one of those fucking Vaults, if I hear a noise similar to it, I honestly jump up, and feel a very strong urge to grab something heavy and back into a corner. Seriously. Mental scarring right there.

Wonderful games though.

blangblang14

Super Awesome Pickle Boss
Feb 19, 2010
I really can't stand when heights are involved and there is a possibility of falling to your inevitable demise.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Wow, I'm actually not alone in hating video game water! *sniff* I'M NOT ALONE!!

OK, now that I got that out of the way, yes, I hate water, BUT, I only hate it if it is "unrestricted." When I was young, any water bugged me; I couldn't play EITHER of the water stages in Mario for fear of...well, I didn't know, because I NEVER stepped foot in either one any more than I had to. Nowadays, I've come to accept water, but only so long as it's encased. Water Temple? Sure! Dire Dire Docks? Awesome! They've actually become some of my favorite stages!! But Termina Bay...*shudder*

Seriously, it's that whole fear of the unknown, of seeing a vast expanse of nothing and just being scared to death of it because you don't know what could come out of it. I actually remember playing Donkey Kong 64, and having to go under K. Rool's floating fortress into a stage; EVERY time I dove down, if I wasn't facing the entrance dead-on and I got a sight of the endless expanse of empty water, I would always freeze up in terror.

Loreley

Sep 1, 2011
I'm rather indifferent to real life spiders, but I shiver IRL whenever one of these HORRIBLE MONSTER SPIDERS in Dragon Age: Origins or DA2 surprise!attacks and lands precisely on the head of the character I'm steering at the moment. Bah!

Also, while I love Assassins Creed, some of the viewpoints are.. really... really high up and very difficult to maneuvre. And since I do have a fear of heights in real life, well. I'm happy when I Leap of Faith back into the hay.