Your most hated RPG status effect

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Stamina drain

Or any other drain. Im normally under powered as it is. Then I get double screwed.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Disarm. Nothing like losing your best sword on the floor while an enemy boss is careening towards you brandishing the greatsword of killamadead which he has being meaning to sharpen that day, but didn't go out to the shops, and now they're all shut. So he's pissed off and reckons you sternum will do nicely as a sort of DIY grindstone.

Magnus

Dec 12, 2011
The weakening one in Morrowind that forced you to drop everything and teleport-scroll to a local shrine.

Excelcior

Aug 10, 2008
Primarily effects like silence (in most games). Poison, stun and confusion are annoying, but I can still forgive them for being indiscriminate. Silence, however, usually only affects magic users. Why the balls is that? Why doesn't it affect any sound-based ability, like a warrior's shouts in a certain mumorpuger? Or a bard's ditties? I demand equal rites for magic users!

Some other effects I really hate are any effects related to hit and dodge ratings, and healing/regeneration used by enemies (run of the mill mooks don't matter as much, but healy bosses are the worst), especially when combined. Fuck you, Muk. Fuck you and your Black Sludge [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Black_Sludge#Black_Sludge]/Minimize [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Minimize_%28move%29] combo.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
Slow.

Taking twice as long to fill your ATB, being forced to sit there as everything shits on your face.
Or in Actiony games, Movement-impairers. Being rooted, or again slowed, as things run circles or pump fireballs into you.

Blubberburg

Sep 17, 2009
endtherapture said:
Poison, in the Baldur's Gate 1.

If you got poisoned and had no potion, you were fucked, duration lasted forever, you couldn't attack cos you kept getting staggered, if you rested or travelled you died, and it was pretty much a death spell.
yeah i played Baldurs gate 2, sometimes my preist would get poisoned by some insane poison and i couldnt cast the cure on himself because the damage broke the spell...

But generally andthing with 'random' in it gets me. Like frenzy type attacks where you 'randomly' attack targets, and end out slaying some citizens who didnt run away from a mad fight in the streets and your reputation goes from very good 50% off in stores to disliked, stores charge %10 more

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Burdening effects. Either lowering the allowable carry weight or increasing the weight of carried items.

What, you just spent 15 minutes trying to cram EVERY LAST bit of loot you could in your pack to get the best gold to weight ratio? You had to make some tough sacrifices did you?

> new active effect: -75 lbs. carrying capacity.<

You know what I'm talking about...

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It mostly depends on what I'm playing as. For example, if I'm playing a mage then I hate silence with a passion.

But Dark Souls' curse effects probably top everything.

[sub]God, this Beiber avatar is annoying me... why oh why did I push the button >.<[/sub]

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
Not so much an effect, more a spell.

Roulette.

Anyone who has ever fought against Ahriman in any of the Tactics games... You know what I mean.

I call shenanigans on that being a random effect. I've never had one of the enemies killed by it, always my team, and always the fucking dualcasting, teleporting deathmachine that comes in, doublecasts Ultima, and just legs it out of there.

That person dead = ohshit, reload save.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
I hate it when mobs have a level, life, stat sap.. sucks so much to have to fight something that when/if it touches you causes you to lose levels or some stats. It made me fear undead in AD&D like nothing else.

Also it seems that games now have moved away from this type of effect.. or make it temporary so after the fight you cast a cure and you are set.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Aircross said:
Death Effects.

They never work on the enemy and they always work on you.
Insta-Death is always such a cock-smack. Even the level-specific ones are pains in the ass.

---

In Pokemon, being confused and, paralyzed at the same time is extremely debilitating. Confusion itself is always a pain in the ass. I didn't realize before Leaf Green but if a sleeping Pokemon tries using snore or sleep talk it's still effected by confusion! What the fuck is that shit?! You can wake up kind of confused but sleeping and confused!?!

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
stuns and slows, mostly stuns.

I often play as a tactical sword-shield and heavy armour fighter, I can take a lot of punishment, but I need my reflexes and defensive moves in order to do it.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Those effects that taunt you with propability instead of constant debuffs. Earliest example I can think of is Confusion in Pokemon. The fact that humans have no inherit sense of propability makes the negative effect harder to accept than a constant malus. You always feel like you get hit by it too often, and the enemy just shrugs it off.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
It really depends on the game, but... if we were to take Final Fantasy as an example (the first one, on the NES), I'd say I hate paralyze effects the worst, especially at low levels. I've literally had a fight with a few puny undead germanic-named ghosts last for over an hour when I was just a few steps away from being able to rest and save.