Your most hated RPG status effect

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I DESPISE sleep effects. Hate hate hate hate hate.

Scratch that, any status effect that completely removes my ability to act. I like doing things.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Mauso88 said:
Level 5 Death in Final Fantasy 8. The spell kills any of your party if his/her level is a multiple of 5 and the highest level is 100, not 99 as it was with FF7. The most galling part is that an enemy in the last castle, which by the way I always found a pain, uses level 5 death. So, if you don't have 100 death magics junctioned to your status defence on every character, the spell can insta-wipe your party. A friend of mine found out about this the hard way, when he was literally 5 minutes away from the last boss encounters.
That, my friend, is why you stagger your character's levels in Final Fantasy games that have these spells. Otherwise, the Level X spells can wipe you out. (L3 Flare is another nightmare if you come across it at the wrong time.)

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Zombie in FF9. Not only I can't be healed anymore, but I don't get XP. And some times it's so early in game, or they use it some many times that I don't have any more remedies left.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
Aircross said:
Death Effects.

They never work on the enemy and they always work on you.
This, definitely this, it just adds nothing but frustration, especially if its one of those rpgs where if your main characters dies its game over.

Supah

Oct 22, 2011
Charm(Persona 3) - Stop HEALING the enemy with only ONE weakness while you are the only one who can attack them with said weakness damnit!

Cursed Death (Dark Souls) - Not only do I instantly die when this itty bitty meter fills, but I revive with HALF health...? AND THIS CAN STACK!?

Petrify - Any game where the main character's death = game over, petrify is the worst, not like the party can cure you with the petrify curing items or anything...

Silence in everything else, mages are my favorite damnit!

EDIT: Confusion in pokemon, as the guy above so perfectly stated...

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Ando85 said:
Poison, silence, stone, charm, berserk, and a multitude of others. What is your most hated RPG negative status effect and why?
Fucking Silence, makes my Black Mages/Warlocks/Whateveryouwannacallthem nearly useless and my White Mages/Clerics/Whateverelseyouwannacallthem TOTALLY useless.

Although the most frustrating status has to be CONFUSED.

The most rage-inducing status affliction ever; not only does this make it possible that your character will not damage the enemy, oh no, that isn't enough, it also gives a strong possibility that the afflicted character will either damage themself or one of your other characters. GOD FORBID A LATE-GAME ENEMY CAN USE IT!

"Spike-Haired Heroguy is confused! Hits Healing Mage for 99999999999999999999999 DAMAGE!"
"FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"*Killed by boss because I couldn't heal in time*

"Enemy Golbat used Confuse-Ray! Typhlosion is confused! Typhlosion hurt itself in its confusion!"
"Come on, damnit!"
"Typhlosion hurt itself in its confusion!"
"COME ON! HIT THE GOLBAT!"
"Typhlosion hurt itself in its confusion!"
"Golbat used Wing Attack! Critical Hit! Typhlosion fainted!"
"FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Justanothergamer300 said:

POKEMON.... and the Confusion status
I find it hilarious I just now noticed this after posting my example of Typhlosion and Golbat.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Tazzy da Devil said:
Sleep. Doesn't make sense to me, you'd think that being attacked by monsters or whatever would wake them the hell up.
I know right? I actually remember an episode of Pokemon where Ash's Corphish slept through getting pummeled by a gym leader's attacks. I was like "WTF?!"

But my most hated is Poisoning. It continues killing your Pokemon even after the battle is done. (Except for the newer games, right? Seriously, I don't remember).

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
Dark Souls Curse/Petrify
All my hate.
I know its a Hack & Slash game according to move but I'm going to go ahead and say its an RPG.
Otherwise, being that I play a lot of MMOs, I find all other effects to be fair and obviously, to have their counters.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fragrance of Mtn Dew said:
UncleUlty said:
Charm, had many a battle in Persona 3 cocked up due to this little gem. Instant death is a close contender though.
Yeah, I especially hated when a boss would charm Yukari and then she'd cast Diaharan on the boss...

Although it's even more obnoxious in Persona 1 where status ailments stack for some god awful reason. So you get these enemies that just spam mass charm spells over and over and your entire party will be charmed pretty much indefinitely. I've never lost a battle because of that, but it was SO annoying.
Ah, so you know that one too, eh? Lemme guess: The subway tunnels.

You see, it's not so much the SPELL as the way it's being spammed over and over and OVER. Good examples are monsters that spam charm or confusion attacks (Persona, Dot-Hack), instant death at every turn (Lots of Final Fantasy, Persona, and SMT on this), and the weird unconventionals that were just there to screw with you. For instance, isn't it true that in FF8, any Malboro you come across automatically always strikes first with its Bad Breath power?

It basically boils down to "Any bad status that is overused and ramped in the enemy's favor is bullshit", and it's true!

Dark Aurora

Aug 15, 2012
Knockdown in Neverwinter Nights. They make a quest in the Peninsula District where you have to fight gang leaders for a key who SPAM KNOCKDOWN. You can't move but you sure as hell can take repeated hits until you die. All the snare effects, and stone effects in Sacred, any paralysis effects in ANY game. Pretty much anything that restricts your movement so you can just get hammered on until you die. Sleep isn't so bad in most games due to waking up after getting hit (minus Final Fantasy games where getting hit by a blast of fire, or a meteor still doesn't wake you up..awesome logic there). It's like beating up someone with no arms or legs with the weapon of your choice. To me that's worse than cheating. Hell, you can put the Konami code in Contra and get 30 lives, but you can still die.
These bastards use shit that gives you no chance unless the game is party based where you need someone to pick your "hero" ass up off the ground every turn while still trying to maintain some offense to finish the battle before the inevitable ground and pound that only Brock Lesnar should be able to deliver. Don't get me wrong. Some games are generous with accessories etc... that can prevent these, and that's ok, but creating regular mobs that are able to do things equivalent to Chuck Norris V.S. Quadriplegic while Stoned, is ridiculous. Oh yeah. Any instant death attacks, and every status effect in MS Saga for PS2. There are probably more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Fear from WoW.

Seriously, fuck that shit; at lower level PVP zones it would absolutely kill you.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Being stoned sounds awesome. but nah, it just makes you permanently paralyzed with a chance of shattering.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Don't remember it exactly, but in FF12, if i remember right, this one stupid boss would lay down most effects onto your party at the same time, quite easily the most annoying thing ever (had to grind for roughly 10-15 levels just for that one boss in that one area that i had to go through. think it was like galmore jungle or such?)

bah, fuck that.

also death effects as people have stated, they never work on the opponent but seem to magnetize to your whole party with the biggest troll face.

IIRC that describes at least five bosses in that game, not counting marks and secret bosses.

OT: For me it has to be anything that screws with me hitting my enemies. I usuualy like to play as a shield and sword warrior who can rip through enemies so when I get hit with something like Blind or anything similar to it I can't stand it. High level pokemon? It uses five sand attacks in a row. Enter rage mode. hit with blind in FFXII, don't have spells to clear it up or no golden handkerchiefs left? enter me getting pissed.

Confusion is a close second though.