Your most Unpopular Media Opinion

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
EscapistAccount said:
Ezekiel said:
WY didn't send them. That was Burke acting on his own. He wanted the fame and fortune. Which is why he was so nervous when Ripley threatened to expose him. He was just sent because it was an expensive colony. The WY execs didn't believe Ripley. They went with their kids because they weren't told what they were searching for.
THIS!!!

Oh my god thank you!!!

I'm not blaming the person you're replying to but in Aliens it isn't Wayland Yutani that's sending colonists into the ship to try and get infected, it's Carter Burke. Wayland Yutani don't know or believe that the alien ship and the eggs are real, the idea of getting colonists infected and recovering a sample is from Burke because it'd be 'worth billions to the bioweapon industry', much as WY are portrayed as the typical evil corporation in pop culture as far as I can tell they're not actually involved at a corporate level at all. I also don't think Burke had any intention of turning the sample over to the company, from what you can infer from the film Wayland Yutani is a terraforming and energy supply company, they almost certainly don't have a bioweapons division so his buyer is probably another company.
True, it was Burke who made the request to Hadley's Hope ("signed Burke, Carter J.!!!!"). I just have a hard time thinking Burke was acting totally alone at that point. Yes, the WY committee investigating the Nostromo incident showed no signs that they believed Ripley, and Van Leuwen even tells her they don't have to check out the planet because of the colony there. But if WY as a company is THAT ambitious and is willing to reroute a commercial towing vehicle in ALIEN to investigate a *possibe* life form on LV-426, then it seems like an *actual* human sighting of an alien lifeform would indeed move them to investigate. I mean, if you're going to program every ship in the fleet to stop on a dime and investigate possible signs of alien life, then why wouldn't you at least tell your folks on Acheron to check out a reported and potentially dangerous alien life form? I may be reaching but I always felt that committee was a put on, and that as soon as it was over, they were huddling to figure out how to check out the planet and potentially capitalize on what was there, if anything.

Also, I'm not sure what evidence there was suggest Burke was willing to turn on the company when he says flat out that the facehuggers are worth millions to WY's bioweapons division. But maybe you're right. Burke was shifty.

spacemutant IV

Feb 25, 2012
Here's more!

I didn't like the new Mad Max movie all that much. The action was great I guess, but I can't enjoy that if the story doesn't pull me in, which it did not. The beginning was alright, but that fades once they decide to go back to the base (whatever it's called), because from that moment on, I knew exactly how the rest of that movie was going to play out to the point where continuing to watch it was almost pointless. The movie just basically ended there, and for all the fights and the big chase and a guy with a guitar flame thrower... it was boring.

The Shining. Everyone loves that movie, and Stanley Kubrick is supposed to be a genius, but I couldn't take it seriously. Nicholsons character doesn't turn crazy, he's just crazy from the beginning, and it seemed goofy to me. What's probably worse though, this is one of these movies where you could tell that it's an adaptation even if you've never heard of the book, because all the elements get set up so clumsily. It just screams in your face that "yeah all this probably came together organically in some book somewhere but we don't have time so here's a boy who sees things and he has a weird finger and a crazy dad and now they're off to some hotel or some shit". The way this movies gives away the fact that it's an adaptation is like an episode of South Park, where you don't always know exactly what's being parodied right now, but it's so spot on that you laugh anyway.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
tippy2k2 said:
I cannot speak for others who liked it but for myself, the illusion of choice that is done well works just as well for me. Maybe what I felt should happen and what the game had happen just so happened to work out to something that made sense but as long as the game did a good enough job into tricking me into thinking my choices mattered, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Hell, Telltale games are some of my favorite games and their entire schtick is to trick the players into thinking that their choices mattered toward the story.
The cinematics shattered any illusion of choice I had about the game. I just couldn't look at them and see the choice I had just made reflected in them. If I could only see in black and white I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

I guess the one thing the shipped endings got right was keeping people talking about them. There is something to be said for that I suppose.

There's a running joke at the place I work about how many times I've played through the first two seasons of the Walking Dead. No matter how many times I've played I still hammer the button, or the screen, to try and get Lee to stand up at the end.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Exley97 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Sorry, getting to this a bit late...and please apologize the snark.
1. I know they're basing their *belief* on *cave drawings* because the movie SAYS that, and the characters are in fact called out on it (by the late duo of Fifield and Millburn). Again, I'm not saying they're NOT reaching, or they're NOT acting foolishly. I just think that's part of the point of the movie. They're obsessed, and obsessed people do foolish things.
2. Pretty sure it's NOT a map to McDonalds. I think you're underselling this a bit, especially since they explain the acient civilizations that had the pictogram were separated "by centuries" and had no recorded contact with one another.
3. On your "no sane person" point -- that's exactly what I'm saying. Weyland is obsessed with extending his life and he doesn't care how far he has to go.
4. You're saying that no scientist would ever break scientific protocol *in movies*, which feels a tad unreasonable and austere (I hae to imagine that scientists do in fact make mistakes, act recklessly and occasionally break protocol even in this day and age). And yes, I've heard all of the "Space truckers can act stupid, but scientists can't" arguments/videos/memes, and I have no issue with you or anyone else applying the Neil deGrasse Tyson approach to this movie. Fine. But I think that's a little over the top, and I'm not sure why we don't have videos and memes questioning why other professions act stupidly and break their respective protocols in movies so often.
5. To your point on the briefing, it's never explained in the movie but I assume that Weyland wanted to keep the mission a secret so he could monopolize whatever he found, and the team members besides Shaw and Holloway who had no idea what the mission was about probably went along with it because they were paid a hell of a lot (Fifield alludes to this in his comment about being there "for money") and...maybe they probably weren't the world's best scientists either. That's a guess on my part, of course. I'm not sure how many field or subject matter experts would agree to such a mission, shrouded in secrecy, millions of miles away to an unknown destination, so maybe these guys were the B team. Again, it's just a guess.
Oh no worries.
1) Maybe that was one of the themes of the movie, but Shaw and Holloway were still not believable scientists. Actually I believe your're right and faith and belief were among the main themes of the movie because it made a big deal about how Shaw was a Christian and held on to that despite discovering evidence that contradicted her Christian beliefs. However it doesn't handle it's themes very well when near the end of the movie Shaw asks for her cross necklace back and David asks why she still clings to her faith after all she's been through and she flat out ignores the question. Uh no movie (and by extension Ridley Scott), if you're not going to address the issue don't bring it up.
2) Obviously it wasn't a map to a McDonald's, my point was they were making a lot of assumptions.
3) He must have been really really really really desperate because he's banking on a)Shaw and Halloway's theory being right b)The Engineers still being there after thousands of years and c)The Engineers actually being able and willing to help him. The odds of that being roughly 0.000000001%. I wouldn't bet on those odds.
4) Ok maybe movie scientists are more inclined to break protocol than real life scientists. Also I never said that scientists can't act stupid or make mistakes. What I did say was that I think Ridley Scott was trying to recreate the same character dynamic as the original Alien, but it doesn't work because these are supposed to be trained scientists not jaded space truckers.
5) Ok maybe it was supposed to all super ultra top secret or whatever, but it would've been nice if they explained that. That one though is only a very minor criticism. Although I will say that Fifield must have been one hell of a jaded scientist if he was only doing it "for the money."

Captain Chemosh

Sep 5, 2011
I found Heath Ledgers version of the joker to be utter garbage, constantly focusing on how he doesn't have a plan when he is going through a sprawling plan, taking a downright systematic approach to try and break batman.

The only thing Joss Whedon has done that I liked was the first avengers, I find everything else in his body of work to be just awful.

I don't find Steve Carell funny in any comedy he's been in. Same goes for Zach Galifianakis.

I find the majority of young adult fiction nowadays to be utter drivel that stunts the imaginations of modern youth.

I don't like playing multiplayer PvP, but immensely enjoy multiplayer PvE

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Star Wars Galaxies was the best mmorpg on the market, while SWTOR is one of the worst. SWTOR managed to kill both initial (well written universe) KotOR franchise and SWG, just to stumble over its childish story, plastic characters, another-wow-killer style gameplay and bland, cookie cutter systems year after. Crapped itself with f2p and wiggles mummbling 'gives me your moneysssss' ever since, pretending it's 'Star Wars'.

Given above atrocity
plus crappy, cattle fodder, 'this-summer-on-big-screen' level of all non-Lucas SW movies pandering to lowest common social media induced denominator, pop-culture obeying, facebook brainwashed, pc indoctrinated and principles and concious thought -less consumers recent actions of EA were just logical 'next step'. They just pulled the trigger too early or unlike Blizzard, harvested too savagely.

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
Exley97 said:
Also, I'm not sure what evidence there was suggest Burke was willing to turn on the company when he says flat out that the facehuggers are worth millions to WY's bioweapons division. But maybe you're right. Burke was shifty.
My main reason for thinking this is that Burke starts throwing around talk of becoming very wealthy to Ripley, when if he were working on company instructions you'd think there would be, if anything at all, a disproportionately tiny bonus in it for him. The way he talks about the facehuggers implies he's selling them rather than procuring them for the company, plus to be honest if the bioweapons division was aware of them and wanted them you'd think they'd send out a capture team under their control rather than a slapped together response team like they did. It just feels more like a one-man operation than a full on corporate thing.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Exley97 said:
Oh no worries.
1) Maybe that was one of the themes of the movie, but Shaw and Holloway were still not believable scientists. Actually I believe your're right and faith and belief were among the main themes of the movie because it made a big deal about how Shaw was a Christian and held on to that despite discovering evidence that contradicted her Christian beliefs. However it doesn't handle it's themes very well when near the end of the movie Shaw asks for her cross necklace back and David asks why she still clings to her faith after all she's been through and she flat out ignores the question. Uh no movie (and by extension Ridley Scott), if you're not going to address the issue don't bring it up.
2) Obviously it wasn't a map to a McDonald's, my point was they were making a lot of assumptions.
3) He must have been really really really really desperate because he's banking on a)Shaw and Halloway's theory being right b)The Engineers still being there after thousands of years and c)The Engineers actually being able and willing to help him. The odds of that being roughly 0.000000001%. I wouldn't bet on those odds.
4) Ok maybe movie scientists are more inclined to break protocol than real life scientists. Also I never said that scientists can't act stupid or make mistakes. What I did say was that I think Ridley Scott was trying to recreate the same character dynamic as the original Alien, but it doesn't work because these are supposed to be trained scientists not jaded space truckers.
5) Ok maybe it was supposed to all super ultra top secret or whatever, but it would've been nice if they explained that. That one though is only a very minor criticism. Although I will say that Fifield must have been one hell of a jaded scientist if he was only doing it "for the money."

1. I see your point here, and others have expressed a similar view. They could have done more on this angle, but I actually thought the end of the movie handled it well. At that point, there really is no answer to the question other than the necklace, and her faith, are pretty much all that Shaw has left.
2. Absolutely, lots of assumptions
3. I mean, Weyland WAS dying, so what difference does it make at that point to risk his fortune and reputation and whatever life he has left? If there's even that slim of a chance, and you have the means to explore that chance, then why not?
4. Totally understandable, though having listened to the director/screenwriters commentary on the film (yes, I'm one of those people) I don't think that's what Scott was going for (at least consciously).
5. Well, Fifield does smoke inside his space suit, so I'm not sure how sharp he was.

EscapistAccount said:
Exley97 said:
My main reason for thinking this is that Burke starts throwing around talk of becoming very wealthy to Ripley, when if he were working on company instructions you'd think there would be, if anything at all, a disproportionately tiny bonus in it for him. The way he talks about the facehuggers implies he's selling them rather than procuring them for the company, plus to be honest if the bioweapons division was aware of them and wanted them you'd think they'd send out a capture team under their control rather than a slapped together response team like they did. It just feels more like a one-man operation than a full on corporate thing.
Fair point, especially about sending a capture team. This is total speculation, but maybe WY didn't have the authority to do that at first and had to allow the actual military to investigate it before sending a response team of their own. Looking at it from Burke's perspective, it does seem like something he could, and even would, do. But I look at it from the overal WY perspective, and it's just tough to see how they would pass up such a big chance like that just because they're pissed Ripley blew up one of their towing ships.

EDIT: On a somewhat related note, here's something that's been bugging for YEARS about Aliens -- we're told by Burke that Earth has lost contact with the colony. Okay. But....when? It's clear when the Marines arrive, the colony had at least some time to assess the situation after Newt's father was first attacked. They even were able to capture and secure two live facehuggers. In other words, the aliens didn't take over the colony in a blink of an eye. So why didn't Hadley's Hope contact WY on earth and tell them what they had found? Or did they, and we just never knew it? (Note: I'm going off the movies only here, not the spin-off novels)

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Mass Effect Andromeda was a fun game.

Spiderman 3 isn't terrible.

Military FPSes are the least interesting gaming genre.

Disney's corporate overlords make some excellent decisions.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Exley97 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Exley97 said:
Oh no worries.

1. I see your point here, and others have expressed a similar view. They could have done more on this angle, but I actually thought the end of the movie handled it well. At that point, there really is no answer to the question other than the necklace, and her faith, are pretty much all that Shaw has left.
2. Absolutely, lots of assumptions
3. I mean, Weyland WAS dying, so what difference does it make at that point to risk his fortune and reputation and whatever life he has left? If there's even that slim of a chance, and you have the means to explore that chance, then why not?
4. Totally understandable, though having listened to the director/screenwriters commentary on the film (yes, I'm one of those people) I don't think that's what Scott was going for (at least consciously).
5. Well, Fifield does smoke inside his space suit, so I'm not sure how sharp he was.
1) In which case it would have been nice to have Shaw actually address the issue by actually answering David's question by saying "It's all I have left." or something like that instead of ignoring the question.
2) So we agree?
3) Sure, but I don't think even the world's most dedicated gambler would bet on those odds.
4) Perhaps not, but some of the characterization seems better suited to the original Alien which had an entirely different setup.
5) They definitely went for the bottom of the barrel in terms of scientists for the voyage that's for sure. Probably because no actually credible scientists would agree to go on their wild goose chase.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
EscapistAccount said:
Ezekiel said:
WY didn't send them. That was Burke acting on his own. He wanted the fame and fortune. Which is why he was so nervous when Ripley threatened to expose him. He was just sent because it was an expensive colony. The WY execs didn't believe Ripley. They went with their kids because they weren't told what they were searching for.
THIS!!!

Oh my god thank you!!!

I'm not blaming the person you're replying to but in Aliens it isn't Wayland Yutani that's sending colonists into the ship to try and get infected, it's Carter Burke. Wayland Yutani don't know or believe that the alien ship and the eggs are real, the idea of getting colonists infected and recovering a sample is from Burke because it'd be 'worth billions to the bioweapon industry', much as WY are portrayed as the typical evil corporation in pop culture as far as I can tell they're not actually involved at a corporate level at all. I also don't think Burke had any intention of turning the sample over to the company, from what you can infer from the film Wayland Yutani is a terraforming and energy supply company, they almost certainly don't have a bioweapons division so his buyer is probably another company.
That and given the infinitely unlikely odds of meeting a complex, predatory alien creature, can you blame them? WY is heartless, as all corporations are... they're not stupid, however. Basically why would execs risk their stock options? Burke might profit, not WY. I'd imagine anybody who stopped Burke, and put him down, and kept the whole sordid affair underwraps would get a nice, fat, Weyland bonus.

After all... the colony was a terraforming firm. It was meant to be s colony project. WY was in that business. Burke had ordered upon Ripley's story to search out specimens in order to profit from the company's projects, not the other way around. When the plan backfired he was still insistent that they couldn't just nuke the site, as Burke knew that it was bad enough losing the colonists due to his unsanctioned pet project... but then losing the terraforming operation altogether in the attempt to use corporate assets for personal gain? He was probably going to end up in a bodybag once he was back...

The whole reason he couldn't trust anyone but himself on the mission in the first place. Going himself meant he was safe from the Corporation in the meantime, while also bagging a xenomorph specimen say; "I know you're angry, but check this out!" That was the only way he could cover up his transmission to the colonista, and potentially score a samplr himself as s bargaining chip if his actions were detected.

There's no other way to properly explain why someone as important as him would be going in the first place. Any two bit Weyland engineer would suffice. But then again they would have discovered his subterfuge AND be the ones to score a xenomorph off the back of his failed machinations.

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
There's no other way to properly explain why someone as important as him would be going in the first place. Any two bit Weyland engineer would suffice. But then again they would have discovered his subterfuge AND be the ones to score a xenomorph off the back of his failed machinations.
The corporate response to the situation would probably also be a lot more comprehensive than what was sent. If they really do have a bioweapons division they're not going to respond to reports of a potentially extremely valuable alien life form or reports of thousands of rape-scorpions that create organic buzzsaws with 'ehhh...fuck it, those twenty guys I guess'. You'd expect a kitted out capture team with transport for the aliens, holding pens, restraints and so on,it'd look more like the team from the second Jurassic Park film. What gets sent is a single platoon under the command of a green lieutenant, which feels less like a corporate play and more like the limited resources Burke's personal clout could get.

There's no way Burke would be there either and he certainly wouldn't be in the landing party if it were legitimate, that'd be made up of professionals and he'd either be in orbit or more likely in his office at Gateway. As it is the team has no scientists, no proper briefing, no one seems to know what they're doing, it just doesn't play like a legit outing from a company whose bioweapon division wants those critters. Hell if the bioweapons division were involved they'd probably have listened to what happened to Kane and sent down a party made up mostly of synthetics.

As you say, the only reason for Burke to be there is because he can't tell anyone else what's going on. Burke is a junior exec and director of special projects, directors don't go into hostile situations like that themselves, they have people for that, that's why they're directors. If it were a legitimate operation he'd have access to far better resources than he had.

EDIT: It's also highly unlikely that, if Weyland Yutani's board as a whole knew about the aliens, they'd let Ripley go get a low paying job elsewhere. She'd either be roped into the project or killed to keep her quiet. The fact that she talks to the board, tells them all about the aliens and is allowed to go implies very strongly that they both don't believe her and therefore have no knowledge that the aliens exist.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
A few more from me; I think the second Spider-man movie, while not bad, is still a bit over-rated.

Also, I never had an issue with Four Kids? anime dubs. Looking back now, I can understand why people don?t like them, but otherwise I don?t mind them that much... plus the 2003 Ninja Turtles is probably my favorite of the adaptations (up until a certain season, anyway...)

cold_revenge92

Nov 17, 2017
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I think Harry Potter is highly overrated.

I've seen bits and pieces of the movies and a friend of mine has told me some things from the books, but it does nothing for me. Probably also doesn't help that she's a huge Potter fan and is slightly obnoxious about it.

I suppose sitcoms in general. I don't get them.

They're about 30 minutes in most cases, and the jokes aren't that great, especially when there's a laugh track or laughing in the back ground. The characters are typically trope-tastic, the story lines that are used are kinda lame, and everything seems just forced.

They're just kinda lame.
I am not a huge Harry Potter fan but I watch it every now and then again and again. When I was little I waited for my letter from Hogwarts but it never came :D now I just watch it just to remember the old days

cold_revenge92

Nov 17, 2017
And one more thing, I never watched Star Wars, which a lot of people find extreme.. I don't know how to force myself to watch it, I honestly think I won't like it :D don't judge

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I find Revenge of the Sith to be the best Star wars movie and Phantom menace I find to be at least a decent movie. I'm also quite baffled with how hated ''Midiclorians'' are. Its mentioned one time as some sort of power level indicator and never comes up again.

Sticking with Star Wars I'm also not entirely impressed with Darth Vader. I really like his design and the presence he commands on screen but as a combatant Vader doesn't come across as particularly top tier. Force lightning is supposed to shut down his armor so any halfway decent Sith can take him out and if Windu and Yoda can defeat the stronger Palpatine or fight him to a standstill then we know he lags behind the most powerful Jedi as well.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I find ALL superhero series boring and cringy af (Agents of SHIELD, Flash, Arrow, Gotham, all). I also could never stand a minute of NCIS, though a lot of my friends love it to bits. I do watch Marvel and DC movies though, not crazy about them but I'll hop down to the cinema once in a while to catch one if time permits.

Also, I know Nintendo fans are rabid, but NOBODY seems to think it's weird that they launch a new console with an old game as the headliner (Mario Kart 8)? It's literally the same old game as before, with some added shit, 3 years later. But that's the highest grossing game on the WiiU, so obviously an unpopular opinion (yes I realize it's only an opinion, thanks).