Your most Unpopular Media Opinion

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
The suckiness of the Star Wars prequels had nothing to do with Jar Jar Binks or the political scenes.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hades said:
Sticking with Star Wars I'm also not entirely impressed with Darth Vader. I really like his design and the presence he commands on screen but as a combatant Vader doesn't come across as particularly top tier. Force lightning is supposed to shut down his armor so any halfway decent Sith can take him out and if Windu and Yoda can defeat the stronger Palpatine or fight him to a standstill then we know he lags behind the most powerful Jedi as well.
IIRC, there was something in the old Star Wars EU about him getting triple amputated and burned to a crisp and then turned into a cyborg on life support severely nerfing his power. Something about being mostly machine hindering his connection to the Force, similar to how Droids can't use it all. Beside Vader getting old, it's the reason Palpatine wanted to seduce Luke to the Dark Side: all the raw power daddy had in his prime, but in a young and unblemished package (save for one hand).

Although the actual irl reason is more than likely that the costume is too cumbersome to move around in, even for someone strong and fit like David Prowse.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Chimpzy said:
Hades said:
Sticking with Star Wars I'm also not entirely impressed with Darth Vader. I really like his design and the presence he commands on screen but as a combatant Vader doesn't come across as particularly top tier. Force lightning is supposed to shut down his armor so any halfway decent Sith can take him out and if Windu and Yoda can defeat the stronger Palpatine or fight him to a standstill then we know he lags behind the most powerful Jedi as well.
IIRC, there was something in the old Star Wars EU about him getting triple amputated and burned to a crisp and then turned into a cyborg on life support severely nerfing his power. Something about being mostly machine hindering his connection to the Force, similar to how Droids can't use it all. Beside Vader getting old, it's the reason Palpatine wanted to seduce Luke to the Dark Side: all the raw power daddy had in his prime, but in a young and unblemished package (save for one hand).

Although the actual irl reason is more than likely that the costume is too cumbersome to move around in, even for someone strong and fit like David Prowse.
I think that came from Lucas himself rather than the EU. Something about Vader having about 80% of Palpatines power but that he would have been twice as powerful as his masters if he hadn't suffered his injuries.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I hated watching the movie, Birdman. I couldn't find any reason to care about what happened to any of the characters, and slipped into complete apathy.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
*cracks knuckles*

Warhammer, both fantasy and 40K but especially the latter, is a miserable waste of its few good ideas.

All that potential and all they can do with it is frantically jerk off the various super-soldiers with Super Special Weapons.

Also, the fluff is garbage written largely (if not entirely) by people who couldn't make it as authors in their own right.
I love the models and the games themselves, and a few of the video games- but I entirely agree that the story/fluff is poorly written. There isn't an original idea to be found, and it's ridiculously over the top (Which wouldn't be bad if everyone didn't take it so seriously.) It's hard enough to stomach the lore that's in the rulebook/codices, and I genuinely have no clue how people read Black Library.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
sageoftruth said:
I hated watching the movie, Birdman. I couldn't find any reason to care about what happened to any of the characters, and slipped into complete apathy.
Hell, I'll second that.

Watching that movie felt like the director was sitting beside me, elbowing me in the ribs every 5 seconds and going "hey, did you see what I did there? Huh? You see? How clever and witty and meta was that, huh? Hey did you see it? Did you?" and I just want to go "will you shut the hell up and let me just watch a movie here, fer chrissakes?!"

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Ogoid said:
sageoftruth said:
Hell, I'll second that.

Watching that movie felt like the director was sitting beside me, elbowing me in the ribs every 5 seconds and going "hey, did you see what I did there? Huh? You see? How clever and witty and meta was that, huh? Hey did you see it? Did you?" and I just want to go "will you shut the hell up and let me just watch a movie here, fer chrissakes?!"
That sounds annoying. I think I was too dense to pick up on that. I'm not much of a movie watcher, so all I saw was the story. For once that actually sounds like a good thing. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Trials: Fusion is a better game than Sonic: Mania. Providing essentially a vastly improved experience with none of the faff. It's nostalgia holding people back.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Ok this'll be fun.

Anita Sarkeesian is a fine critic with well thought out (if slightly dull) arguments and her critiques of most video games were valid and were most of the ones about movies. Further more she seems like a nice person and despite what people claim I have yet to find any compelling evidence of her being a secret fascist, a con artist or a pan-dimensional demonic hell beast.

I think a lot of people freaked out when they saw a woman was gonna criticise 'their' toys, harassed her and then scrambled desperately to find 'evidence' of wrong doing on her part to retroactively justify their shitty behavior. Then circle jerking over the menial """"EVIDENCE"""" they found to tell themselves that Anita was this flesh eating soulless harpy, they were either oblivious to (or happily partaking in) the additional level of harassing bullshit that people like Anita received as a direct result of that circle jerking.

But they were never in the right, they were never under attack and they should just feel bad about acting like shitty idiots and try to be better people in the future. Because Anita didn't destroy gaming's credibility, they did that themselves.

Anita herself is a fine critic and honestly I wish it were easier for critics like her to be able to have a voice without an army of smug jackasses misinterpreting their points, strawmanning them, making up bullshit conspiracy theories about them and straight up harassing them.

See also:

I don't care if Ghostbusters 2016 'literally killed your childhood dead and made a suit out of its skin', the second you started bombarding the actresses with increasingly vile hate mail as joke you lost any right to be sympathetic and you are actually just kind of shitty people. You should feel bad about it and you should try to be better.

If you don't want to then don't think people like Leslie Jones or Anita Sarkeesian owe you shit.

And apparently asking these people to NOT behave like assholes is considered 'unpopular' so here we are.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Also the Sangheili are always going to be objectively cooler then the Spartans in Halo. I actually find the Spartans to be the most boring part of Halo in no small part owing to their over powered Mary Sueness.

But Sangheili are amazing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Vrex360 said:
Ok this'll be fun.

Anita Sarkeesian is a fine critic with well thought out (if slightly dull) arguments and her critiques of most video games were valid and were most of the ones about movies. Further more she seems like a nice person and despite what people claim I have yet to find any compelling evidence of her being a secret fascist, a con artist or a pan-dimensional demonic hell beast.

I think a lot of people freaked out when they saw a woman was gonna criticise 'their' toys, harassed her and then scrambled desperately to find 'evidence' of wrong doing on her part to retroactively justify their shitty behavior. Then circle jerking over the menial """"EVIDENCE"""" they found to tell themselves that Anita was this flesh eating soulless harpy, they were either oblivious to (or happily partaking in) the additional level of harassing bullshit that people like Anita received as a direct result of that circle jerking.

But they were never in the right, they were never under attack and they should just feel bad about acting like shitty idiots and try to be better people in the future. Because Anita didn't destroy gaming's credibility, they did that themselves.

Anita herself is a fine critic and honestly I wish it were easier for critics like her to be able to have a voice without an army of smug jackasses misinterpreting their points, strawmanning them, making up bullshit conspiracy theories about them and straight up harassing them.

See also:

I don't care if Ghostbusters 2016 'literally killed your childhood dead and made a suit out of its skin', the second you started bombarding the actresses with increasingly vile hate mail as joke you lost any right to be sympathetic and you are actually just kind of shitty people. You should feel bad about it and you should try to be better.

If you don't want to then don't think people like Leslie Jones or Anita Sarkeesian owe you shit.

And apparently asking these people to NOT behave like assholes is considered 'unpopular' so here we are.
Agreed to most of that, but I feel Sarkeesian is a mediocre critic. Her episodes about Bayonetta and the Powerpuff Girls being the highlight of why I avoided her videos. What didn't help was more of criticism came off as really opinionated, a case of stating the obvious, and some moments where she did not back up her facts or pay attention to whatever she was criticizing. Also there were cases of times where she did take peoples gameplay footage from different YouTube videos without giving them credit nor permission of using them. So she is guilty of plagiarism, but with that said, she did not deserve all of the harassment as that just gave her more attention than Sarkeesian deserved.

As for GB (2016) it was average at best, but once again, the harassment was unnecessary and not worth hurting others over a goddamned movie! Jesus Christ, I get not wanting to remake good movies, but nobody blew a casket this big when studios were remaking horror films left and right, so what made Ghostbusters so special? (No need to answer that, rhetorical question.)

Sony suffered anyway as it didn't perform like they wanted. Them spending so much money on all that advertising did not help themselves in the slightest. So that's on them alone.

P.S - Extreme GHostbusters gave me what I wanted anyway over 20 years ago that the remake did not.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Zhukov said:
*cracks knuckles*

Warhammer, both fantasy and 40K but especially the latter, is a miserable waste of its few good ideas.

All that potential and all they can do with it is frantically jerk off the various super-soldiers with Super Special Weapons.

Also, the fluff is garbage written largely (if not entirely) by people who couldn't make it as authors in their own right.
I love the models and the games themselves, and a few of the video games- but I entirely agree that the story/fluff is poorly written. There isn't an original idea to be found, and it's ridiculously over the top (Which wouldn't be bad if everyone didn't take it so seriously.) It's hard enough to stomach the lore that's in the rulebook/codices, and I genuinely have no clue how people read Black Library.
It taking itself seriously is what makes Warhammer awesome. And I read some Fantasy Books from Black Library (Skarsnik, Thorgrim, Headtaker) none of them were that hard to read if you have an understanding of the lore.

The only thing I get the "how can anyone take this setting seriously?" arguement is 40k because even I thought this setting was ridiculous and still do. And yet they somehow made it work.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Warhammer 40k is shit.

Its gameplay is shit. Its lore is shit. GW's customer "service" is shit.

Only people who haven't played real wargames will tell you its fun.

All the fun stuff out of the Warhammer Fantasy/40K has already been leaked out of it. Warhammer Quest, Necromunda, Blood Bowl, 1st Ed. 40K, Epic... What's left is artistic bankruptcy and brainwashed consumers.

I kind of hope GW folds up in the next 3-4 years... because they do boardgaming no favours save for helping us determine who has the deepest pockets and the least cultivated taste amongst us.

GW is the EA of wargaming.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
CoCage said:
Agreed to most of that, but I feel Sarkeesian is a mediocre critic. Her episodes about Bayonetta and the Powerpuff Girls being the highlight of why I avoided her videos. What didn't help was more of criticism came off as really opinionated, a case of stating the obvious, and some moments where she did not back up her facts or pay attention to whatever she was criticizing.
Well I mean hey I never said she was perfect. But then again I've yet to meet a critic that I agree with 100% about anything. But yeah sometimes she sensationalized and read too deeply into stuff, and sometimes she really could have phrased her stuff a bit better though honestly it was pretty bare bones stuff at its core.

Also there were cases of times where she did take peoples gameplay footage from different YouTube videos without giving them credit nor permission of using them. So she is guilty of plagiarism,
I mean yeah that's true but like I really don't think it mattered that much in the grand scheme of things. Like yeah she should have done that but compared to the shit people threw at her for almost five straight years, including straight up trying to bullshit a reason to arrest her for treason it was pretty petty. Just people frantically trying to find something she is guilty of and overhyping it to hell when they find it no matter how petty it was.

While oblivious to how toxic they had actually gotten to the rest of the world that them shouting 'aha! Anita is a plagarist, kind of, she's pure evil just like we said!' had become almost the equivalent of a violent serial rapist and murderer declaring: 'Hey look at this monster who shoplifted a candy bar! She's a menace to society I tells you!'

Like people who were opposed to Anita got away with worse shit then that.

but with that said, she did not deserve all of the harassment as that just gave her more attention than Sarkeesian deserved.
Exactly, though I would argue her getting all the attention was a net positive in only for the fact that it blew up spectacularly in the faces of the idiots harassing her.

As for GB (2016) it was average at best, but once again, the harassment was unnecessary and not worth hurting others over a goddamned movie! Jesus Christ, I get not wanting to remake good movies, but nobody blew a casket this big when studios were remaking horror films left and right, so what made Ghostbusters so special? (No need to answer that, rhetorical question.)
Yeah I think everyone knows the real reason why this particular remake was so reviled. It was the same reason people got really shitty about Mad Max.

Sony suffered anyway as it didn't perform like they wanted. Them spending so much money on all that advertising did not help themselves in the slightest. So that's on them alone.
I mean like the first trailer I saw was really bad, like it was garbage but I still can't believe it got the response it did. I wanted to call it out as badly paced and unfunny but I didn't want to seem like I was part of the crowd of open misogynists who flooded the youtube comments.

P.S - Extreme GHostbusters gave me what I wanted anyway over 20 years ago that the remake did not.
Was that the one with Kylie? And the wheelchair guy? I remember that one, it was pretty intense and at least one episode really did scare the hell out of me.
It was certainly the only 90's cartoon with EXTREME in the title that doesn't make you want to gag.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Vrex360 said:
CoCage said:
Agreed to most of that, but I feel Sarkeesian is a mediocre critic. Her episodes about Bayonetta and the Powerpuff Girls being the highlight of why I avoided her videos. What didn't help was more of criticism came off as really opinionated, a case of stating the obvious, and some moments where she did not back up her facts or pay attention to whatever she was criticizing.
Well I mean hey I never said she was perfect. But then again I've yet to meet a critic that I agree with 100% about anything. But yeah sometimes she sensationalized and read too deeply into stuff, and sometimes she really could have phrased her stuff a bit better though honestly it was pretty bare bones stuff at its core.

Also there were cases of times where she did take peoples gameplay footage from different YouTube videos without giving them credit nor permission of using them. So she is guilty of plagiarism,
I mean yeah that's true but like I really don't think it mattered that much in the grand scheme of things. Like yeah she should have done that but compared to the shit people threw at her for almost five straight years, including straight up trying to bullshit a reason to arrest her for treason it was pretty petty. Just people frantically trying to find something she is guilty of and overhyping it to hell when they find it no matter how petty it was.

While oblivious to how toxic they had actually gotten to the rest of the world that them shouting 'aha! Anita is a plagarist, kind of, she's pure evil just like we said!' had become almost the equivalent of a violent serial rapist and murderer declaring: 'Hey look at this monster who shoplifted a candy bar! She's a menace to society I tells you!'

Like people who were opposed to Anita got away with worse shit then that.

but with that said, she did not deserve all of the harassment as that just gave her more attention than Sarkeesian deserved.
Exactly, though I would argue her getting all the attention was a net positive in only for the fact that it blew up spectacularly in the faces of the idiots harassing her.

Yeah I think everyone knows the real reason why this particular remake was so reviled. It was the same reason people got really shitty about Mad Max.

I mean like the first trailer I saw was really bad, like it was garbage but I still can't believe it got the response it did. I wanted to call it out as badly paced and unfunny but I didn't want to seem like I was part of the crowd of open misogynists who flooded the youtube comments.

Was that the one with Kylie? And the wheelchair guy? I remember that one, it was pretty intense and at least one episode really did scare the hell out of me.
It was certainly the only 90's cartoon with EXTREME in the title that doesn't make you want to gag.
Yes. Roland (voiced by Alphonso), Garrett (wheelchair guy), Eduardo, and Kylie.

If anything, I would have preferred an adaption of these Ghostbusters .

Sep 24, 2008
I don't really have that many feelings about Goku. Like... Whatever. Japanese Superman.

I get tired of all the hate that is piled on Goku's doorstep for the dumb decisions that he makes. How he's a bad father and what not.

Goku has brain damage.

Originally as an infant Saiyan, Goku was programmed with intense hostility to carry out his mission of eradicating all sentient life on Earth. When found by Grandpa Gohan, he was unruly and aggressive, wanting nothing to do with the elder, although this was seemingly only when worked up as when initially found by Gohan, he quickly took a liking to the elder. However, after the head injury that caused him to lose his memory as Kakarot along with his more violent Saiyan tendencies, Goku became well-known for his energetic and caring personality, traits he seemed to inherit from his mother Gine. He was also taught to be respectful to others by Grandpa Gohan. He takes most situations in stride, he rarely lets things get him worked up
(Source [http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Goku])

Stop hating on a person who's been shown to have untreated mental issues.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh I've thought of another one -

It doesn't interest me at all that Legend of Kora or Steven Universe. I don't mind, the writers can do whatever they want, but it's not an instant must-watch for me. I thought Avatar was trite and boring, and Steven Universe always felt like it was trying to go viral or be a meme farm. Its just exhausting watching it.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
TV and Films are mostly crap and i would rather play a terrible game for 12 hours straight than watch either for any length of time

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
ObsidianJones said:
I don't really have that many feelings about Goku. Like... Whatever. Japanese Superman.

I get tired of all the hate that is piled on Goku's doorstep for the dumb decisions that he makes. How he's a bad father and what not.

Goku has brain damage.

Originally as an infant Saiyan, Goku was programmed with intense hostility to carry out his mission of eradicating all sentient life on Earth. When found by Grandpa Gohan, he was unruly and aggressive, wanting nothing to do with the elder, although this was seemingly only when worked up as when initially found by Gohan, he quickly took a liking to the elder. However, after the head injury that caused him to lose his memory as Kakarot along with his more violent Saiyan tendencies, Goku became well-known for his energetic and caring personality, traits he seemed to inherit from his mother Gine. He was also taught to be respectful to others by Grandpa Gohan. He takes most situations in stride, he rarely lets things get him worked up
(Source [http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Goku])

Stop hating on a person who's been shown to have untreated mental issues.
I prefer the word of god explanation that most Saiyans, Goku included, just don't have the concept of family. Vegeta does, because ruling class passed down by familial lines, but Goku views Chichi as a really good friend who he's roommates with and will do the sex with him.

This is, apparently, a common Saiyan thing. I also find it hilarious.