Your name

chiMmy

Mar 8, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

(Although Americans seem to think it's a chick name for some reason)
Incidently, I have friend named Liam, and he's had the same problems with Americans who can't seem to pronounce it correctly.
Well, my name is Kim and I'm a guy, never let that bother me.
People online always seem to assume it's a girls name. I however know no girl by that name but I do know several other guys.

OT: If they dont even try to correctly pronounce a name they really deserv no respect. It's your name, be proud of it.

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
I knew a guy named Liam once, Liam Neeson he's a star of feature films, has a cult following, was in a dirty harry movie and a batman movie, so yeah Liam is pretty fucking awesome name

LeafofStone

Nov 19, 2009
I know someone called Drew Peacock. Say that out-loud and fast a couple of times.

Done that? Ok, now understand that you have NOTHING to feel bad about.

Matt East

Apr 4, 2011
Normal (no offense) first name (Matthew).
But my last name is East, in case you couldn't tell, anyhoo, I have had people rag on me about my last name, and for some reason nobody knows how to pronounce or spell it.....

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Drakmeire said:
Liam is an awesome name.
My name is Jason and in high school people would call me Gayson...I would then laugh my brains out and say "What are you? 12 years old?"

sorry i had no choice

PRESS X TO JASON XXXXXX

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Liam's a pretty common name in the UK. Not like John or Dave common, but not remarkable.

As for racial slurs, what exactly do you mean? It's originally an Irish name I think, but if they're too ignorant to pronounce it correctly they probably didn't know that. Basically the people at your school are dicks if they take the piss out of you for a "white" name. Joke's on them in 10 years time when no-one will employ them because employers (consciously or unconsciously) filter out obviously black names during applications.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Liam is one of my two favorite guy names EVER. You have an awesome name! Be proud of your awesomeness!

With my name, it's not pronunciation, but spelling. My name is Kristin, but it ALWAYS gets spelled "Kristen" by people. Add in the fact that my last name is two words(with a space not a hyphen) instead of the typical one, and my name is never ever spelled correctly. It's either "Kristin Word1word2" "Kristen Word1 Word2" or "Kristen Word1word2." Never Kristin Word1 Word2.

Never right. Ever. And filling out forms with a space in your last name? Forget about it.

I'm just glad as hell that the nickname that I picked up in college was Lily. All of my friends just know me as Lily by this point. No one ever misspells Lily.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Liam is an Irish name, in the UK at least it's quite popular, especially around the time that Oasis were popular (Liam Gallacher). I have a nephew called Liam, and really I don't see a reason for people to make fun of it - it doesn't even rhyme with anything FFS!.
I guess maybe some people aren't sure how to pronounce it, it has 4 letters, so maybe people your at school with (teachers included) are just stupid.

It's childish to make fun of peoples names anyway, you should pay people like that no mind. Here's some people I know, and have not felt the need to make fun of their name:

Gillian Savage
Aruna Garuge
Corin McFail

Your name could be a helluva lot worse than Liam :D

Project_Omega

Sep 7, 2009
RedxDecember said:
My name is Liam (LEE-YUM). I'm white and I go to a primarily black school. I fit in pretty well, but recently a teacher couldn't pronounce my name. She'd call me Lam or Laim or Leem. I didn't care about that. That's her issue and it's minor at most. But since then I've had kids come up to me and just say "Your name is (insert offensive slur here)." No laughing, etc. Just saying it to be a dick. I don't know why this makes me feel so insecure, but it just gets me in the right way. Call me fat, that's fine, I could go on a diet and change that. Call me stupid, I could go read a few books and pay attention in class. I never take insults that seriously. Call my name retarded, stupid, gay? Not cool. I can't change it and I don't fucking want to. But for some lame reason I care about what they say. So if you've read so far, I thank you and here are my questions.

Is the name Liam dumb to you?
Have you ever been made fun of because of your name? How did you handle it?

Thank you for reading.
Now, most of you will probably think 'Marius' (Originally Mariusz) is a really cool name that probably got me a lot of popularity and starting points with the ladies.

Bollocks.

For most of my Highschool, I had retards miss-pronouncing my name ON PURPOSE just to annoy me. Even the girls couldn't get it right, and most of the time they were bullying me along with them retards. The only people who actually knew how to say my name were my closest and most trusted friends, as well as many school staff.

Starting college (Pre-Uni, 6th form) I basically came into my class and thought "Screw this".

My name is Mark now.

It has been 2 years since that, and it kinda stuck. Now I tend to NOT give my real name unless I am forced to do so or Trust the person, for other people its 'Mark'.

Ot : Liam is a pretty normal name, its pretty common in the UK. Its not the name's fault, its the people that are retarded, it pretty much always is.

Don't worry bro, just ignore them or come up with a nickname.

Freakzooi

Mar 27, 2009
Liam, sounds perfectly normal to me.

Believe me, you won't run into really embarrassing moments at passport checks or similar occasions when named Liam.
Atleast in my experience Americans generally don't feel the need to respect names from different countries and shamelessly comment on their perceived idiocy of your name, such as when you are named 'Wang' (which is a common chinese name).

Personally I got laughed at in multiple occasions when crossing the border since I'm named 'Freek' (common dutch name, derived from Frederik which is a german name). In dutch it's pronounced like break, but with an F. Ofcourse, this is beyond most English speaking people when they glance at your name and gladly call you Freak!

Now I usually go by the name of 'Frank' when I visit the United States or Britain, although regretfully there is no fooling the people at the border control;)

Sir Seagull

Knight of the Picnic Table
Jan 12, 2011
GamerKT said:
Kevin.

13 of them in high school. It was a pain.

"Kevin!"
*I turn around*

Nope. :(
Dude! My name is Jack! We have nine of them in one year level at my school. NINE!
I even once had three others in my class. *shudder*

OT: I've got a mate called Tynan (Tai-nun) and he's had teachers call him T-nun and Tyson, one teacher also tried to pronounce his name phonetically, something like Tyynnen.

EDIT: Crap, forgot about another friend, his last name is Blow... I don't think I need to say more.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
Jack Ocelot. Stopped going by that several years ago though to avoid getting the same joke over and over. John Smith now. Good old generic name. Still legally Jack Ocelot, but introduce myself as John Smith.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
My name is Meile Ytzen Tamminga :) now all you English speaking people try and pronounce that. :p

Oh and if you feel like it you can also guess what language it is. ^^

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Amanda
This is what I used to get:
"oh I get it your a man du!"
This is what they used to get in return
*SLAP*!