Your top five rpg games!

Hister

Don't Run You'll Just Die Tired
Apr 8, 2010
I'm an RPG fanatic....ugh so hard to decide.
so in no particular order:
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
DA:O
FF VII
KOTOR
(on reflextion I may just be a Bioware fanatic)

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
Dragon Age
Mass Effect 1/2
Final Fantasy 7
Secret of Mana 3 (which was an SNES game never released in America you have to find a fan made English patch)
Star Ocean 2

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (there for the great sense of humor, great characters, fun combat and overall charm, one of the best kid-friendly RPGs available)
4. Fallout 3 (120 hours of playtime says enough, coupled with innovative combat, great customization and great visuals it is simply one of the most rewarding gaming experiences available)
3. TES IV: Oblivion (The first real open RPG I have ever played, it stomps the face of other linear RPGs by allowing total character freedom and limitless playstyles with deep gameplay mechanics)
2. Diablo 2 (Limitless character customization and combat strategies and simply the most replayable game in the last 12 years)
1. Fallout: New Vegas (Exploding the world of Fallout into pure gaming bliss with great combat, amazing visuals and sound design, great characters, thought provoking storyline and amazing mod-ability it tops all other attempts by other developers to capture the feeling of making a difference in your gameworld)

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Baldur's Gate 2

Persona 4

Planescape: Torment

Tales of Vesperia

Fallout 2

In no particular order, it was hard enough picking five. I can't really compare the different joys that different games offer.

[sub]If I could choose six there'd be a 50/50 spread of WRPG and JRPG. This thread is giving me OCD.[/sub]

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Ummm, Boss?

Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Neverwinter Nights: Shadow of Undrentide
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick

I guess I'm a fantasy fan? I rank Kotor and Fallout 2 just outside the top five. VtM:B is really the odd one out, but it has such great storytelling. I always knew that I was a role-playing purist, I don't really like RPGs that require physical skill, they seem less of an RPG experience. A great RPG should be able to be played by a paraplegic.

EDIT: I guess I'm a sucker for a colon as well...

Veldaroth

Jul 21, 2009
poiumty said:
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2

Everything else is just WAY lower. Note that my #1 favourite game is stil Fallout 2, i just consider BG2 to be the greatest RPG.
Completely agree! Although I still haven't had a chance to play Fallout 2... It's in the to-play list

xees

Nov 11, 2009
poiumty said:
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2

Everything else is just WAY lower. Note that my #1 favourite game is stil Fallout 2, i just consider BG2 to be the greatest RPG.
This^^

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Baten Kaitos Origins
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
1. Suikoden 2
2. Final Fantasy: Tactics
3. Baldur's Gate 2
4. KOTOR
5. Final Fantasy VI

TheRobotandtheBeast said:
Suikoden 2
Mass Effect 2
Suikoden
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy ix
I wasn't expecting anyone else to have a Suikoden game in their list (seeing as the series is criminally underrated), but I am pleasantly surprised.

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
Not Necessarily in order

1. Deus ex
2. Neverwinter Nights
3. FF7
4. Mass Effect
5. Jade Empire

hmm I guess that makes me a Bioware fan then

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
New Troll said:
True RPGs, no action RPGs like Diablo or MMOs like WoW, otherwise my list would look Blizzardly differently.

1. Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (Dos)
2. Planescape: Torment (Dos)
3. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
4. Temple of Elemental Evil (Win)
5. A Fairy Tale Adventure (Commodore 64/128)

P&P (haven't done in years):
1. HoL: Human Occupied Landfill
2. WoD (1st Edition, Mainly Vampire: The Masquerade)
3. Rifts
4. AD&D (2nd Edition)
5. TMNT (seriously, some of the most fun I had as a child!)
Hey hey TMNT, that was a great RPG, you've inspired me to list my five favorite PnP RPGs. You wouldn't be in your mid thirties would you because your list is eeirily similar to games in my top 10.

Paranoia, easily the most fun RPG I've ever played.
TMNT, but especially the Road Hogs supplement.
MERPS (Middle Earth Role Playing System) great critical hit/miss tables made for a lot of fun.
AD&D 2nd Ed, back when men were men and thieves were thieves.
Beyond the Supernatural, with a set of pretty hefty "house rules" ammendments to make characters weaker.

I played Rifts a bit but like most Palladium RPGs it was a Munchkins Paradise so you had to have some pretty serious players to get a good game.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Fallout 3 (Who would choose Vegas over Fallout 3? Story, game play, characters Epic game)
Oblivion (Story was easier to follow than Morrowind and some of the quests were really different)
Mass Effect (Better story than no. 2 and better side characters IMO)
Arcanum (I loved this game, instant classic for me. A real open world game)
KotOR (IMO it had a better story line than no. 2 and the combat system amazed me)

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
In order:

Oblivion
Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect 1/2
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout 3

You also just witnessed my top 5 favorite games. Funny how two developers can govern your entire gaming experience. As well as a single platform. All those games were played specifically for PC. Says a lot about me.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Kiltguy said:
Table-top
1. Drakar och demoner (Swedish rpg. Trans. Dragons and Demons)
Now, I may be wrong here, but I think that's just the Swedish translation of Dungeons and Dragons.

My top five:
Suikoden II
Final Fantasy VII
Fallout III
Earthbound
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Huh. All but one of those games were a sequel. Imagine that!

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
1 Oblivion
2 Fallout: New Vegas
3 Fallout: 3
4 Assassins Creed: Brotherhood *
5 Can't actually say that the other ones I've played are good enough.

* = I count a game as an RPG as opposed to a sandbox IF you can purchase stuff with earned in-game money AND you earn xp through actions which then allow you to do more moves (The Thieves, Courtesans and Mercenarios all have a scoreboard where you can track the progress of new faction related abilities by doing certain actions.).