Your unique setting to a game.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
a Fantasy/horror RPG set in a fictional Louisiana City and Surrounding Bayou during Prohibition.

basically take the world of darkness idea a few posts back and move it back in time.

Bob Thenecromancer

Nov 10, 2012
I want to make a game that takes place in fantasy world but during the beginning of its industrial age (trains,primitive combustion engines,revolvers). You play as an adventurer hired by the king to hunt down magical artifacts and to kill magical Creatures shape shifters,witches,dragons,etc but when you are tasked to kill a girl accused of being a shape shifter you start to think that maybe what you are doing is wrong.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Tim Scott said:
Nomanslander said:
-futuristic shooter set in "what if" universe if Nazis and the Japanese had won the war.
I think command&conquer red alert 3 was basically that but a strategy game, but an fps version could be nice, something along the lines of singularity (which was about a Russian time travel project during the cold war era).
Do you even Command And Conquer: Renegade?

Anywho...
I'd like a totally fucking spaced out fantasy game that moves out of the tolkien box. Do away with humans, elves, dwarves and that stuff.
I can't come up with any concrete suggestions as to content right now, but I'm sure some of you imaginative people could think up some wicked awesome things to put in a game like that.

I'd also like to see a WW 1 FPS, for example.
An assassin's creed game set in ancient egypt, perhaps?
Red Dead Redemption set in Babylon.
A Fallout game set in Norway. A cold, irradiated wasteland filled with mutated seals, polar bears, moose and lynx. In hardcore mode, you'd have to make sure you were dressed well and kept warm to keep from frostbite and hypothermia, as well as managing thirst, hunger and sleep.
GTA set in the UK or romania.
A cyberpunk set in Scotland.
The sims: French Revolution.

Iunno. Anything but WW2/modern day arabic country/desert.

Lewg999

Jan 30, 2011
Not sure if these have been done before but

An RTS without an opponent. Instead the aim is to use your military and science to protect yourself from an oncoming apocalypse.Possibly with a multiplayer mode in which the other player plays god and starts causing disasters.

An RPG/Assasins Creed style game set in British occupied India.

An La Noire take on Sherlock Holmes.

A CyberPunk RPG/assassination game set in future Sydney with a plot revolving around a cure for mortality from wounds ( Old age death only with exceptions for diseases ) with weapons and abilities adapted for this. Rapid aging and poisoned weapons being used to take out targets.

That last one is a personal want but any of those would be awesome

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
spartandude said:
Bigsmith said:
A Fantasy Space Age, where the races have used Magic to build ships that can traverse the Nether. It wouldn't be 100% Magic, probably closer to a Magical Steam punk era where Space exploration was done as a financial venture.
i think Games Workshop has been exploring a similar setting

i would like to see a post apocalyptic game set in Barry Island.... actually you couldnt tell if the apocalypse already happened or not
Something like this? Yeah, I wouldn't put it past them.

TheBlueShotgun0

Dec 20, 2011
Zhukov said:
I'll go with my standard answer:

A survival horror game set underwater. Not in a submarine or an undersea city like Bioshock (although Rapture was awesome) but actually in the water. The protagonist would be in a scuba suit or one of those old-timey deep sea diving suits.

I just love the idea of directing your light downwards and catching a glimpse of part of something unidentifiable but unmistakably alive and huge gliding through the dark water. Or perhaps coming up against the face of an undersea cliff and then realising that it's moving... and has scales.
As a SCUBA diver and lifeguard, I can tell you that that would freak me the hell out. Combining the silent but ever present danger of the ocean with a tangible yet unseen monster would scare me, and I'm sure others, more than most other games out there.

OP: A shooter set in the modern day with one twist: The Roman Republic never fell. Meaning we skipped right over the Dark Ages, which lasted about 1000 years, and technology continued to advance during that time. The game could revolve around Rome's, and thus humanity's, first contact with alien life. Of course, because it's a shooter about Rome, war breaks out and shit hits the fan. I imagine the game concluding with at least one Roman colony world in flames.

TheBlueShotgun0

Dec 20, 2011
Pohaturon said:
Sci-Fi rpg set in an alternate universe where the roman empire never fell, conquered the world, and had made first contact, established off-world provinces and rose to be the dominant force in the known galaxy
Dammit, got sniped. Great minds think alike, they say.

Joey Bolzenius

Sep 9, 2011
Sci-fi Pre-Columbian themed open world multiplayer online action RPG. You get to play this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFdr4v8U0I except the crowds and stadiums are fucking huge and there are video screens everywhere. Space marines have jaguar and eagle helmets, their guns have brightly colored feathers on them, the space ships are giant serpents.

Also maybe a Dead Space style game set in the same universe as above?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
A setting where the Alien race is technologically inferior than Humanity. I've tried this in a RP here, but the RP got fucked by me, and a select few players. (But largely by me forgetting details. I should have expected some deviations.)

Why not have missions where you try to resolve their fights? Attempt to uplift them, only to see them adapt your technology in a way you never expected? Fight both: Humanity with their technology, and this race with their horrible Bio-technology in addition to your technology they've attained?(Nothing launches poison faster than gun-powder. Let's get a nano-shield equipped on a drugged up super-aggressive swordsman.)

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
Zhukov said:
I'll go with my standard answer:

A survival horror game set underwater. Not in a submarine or an undersea city like Bioshock (although Rapture was awesome) but actually in the water. The protagonist would be in a scuba suit or one of those old-timey deep sea diving suits.

I just love the idea of directing your light downwards and catching a glimpse of part of something unidentifiable but unmistakably alive and huge gliding through the dark water. Or perhaps coming up against the face of an undersea cliff and then realising that it's moving... and has scales.
I won't even read the other posts, you win. Just reading this gives me a clear idea of the potential for horror that idea has.

Jun 11, 2009
Pohaturon said:
Sci-Fi rpg set in an alternate universe where the roman empire never fell, conquered the world, and had made first contact, established off-world provinces and rose to be the dominant force in the known galaxy

Plasmadamage said:
instead of magic, the player is able to use fragments of alien technology looted from the wreckage.
You had me at magic actually being lost alien technology.

The player must travel across the known world, completing quests, siding with factions, or trying to avoid all of them, in an atempt to understand the reason for "The War in Heaven"
Marry me. Or make this game. One of the two.

Zen Bard said:
So for example, a Mage type Vampire would be a Necromancer whereas a Magic using werewolf would be more of a Shaman. But here's the kicker: Instead of playing a Chosen One who's destined to save the world from the coming Apocalypse, the goal is simply to survive and rise to Top Dog (or Wolf or Bat, as the case may be) of your particular group. Alternatively, you could also play as a human "Hunter" who sees the Beasts and keeps the world safe from them. But that doesn't necessarily make you a good guy.
I love the idea of the race/class combinations influencing what kind of magic and skills a character would learn. It'd be a great opportunity for monsters (vampires, werewolves) to start being scary again.

I had this idea for an RPG a la Mass Effect 1/old school Bioware. The idea for the world is that it's post-apocalypse, but several hundred years post-apocalypse, so the world has had time to rebuild/reverse engineer from the ancient civilizations to about the technological point of the 1600s/1700s - that specific time period is synonymous with pirates and sailing ships, which is important. The idea is that due to the collapse of the infrastructure, air combat is nonexistent, and a sailing ship navy is the highest point of technology/military power.

Old world boats made of metal and the like (called ironships in-game because it sounds cool) are still used, but the world lacks the technology to construct them, so they become increasingly jury-rigged and ramshackle as they're used and as a matter of course of being hundreds of years old. "Magic" exists, but it's merely people who can use the nanotechnology of the old world - it's hereditary or something like that, because screw science.

The idea is that the player is an up-and-coming sailor in the navy of the dominant world power, and is tasked with finding an ancient cache of old world technology, wealth, weapons, etc. said to be languishing under the waves in a remote part of the antarctic ocean.

Spoiler: it's Atlantis, or at least Atlantis as the bastardized mythology of the new world understands it.

Along the way, we learn that Atlantis has a much darker truth than anyone in the new world figured, as well as meeting a colourful cast of characters who would help flesh out the world.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
First/Thrid person game where you start as a lowly footsoldier forced to follow orders and fight in formation, eventually gaining recognition and granted your own men at arms who you must keep equipped with funding from your leige lord. A medieval warrior simulator.

Or in other words... Mount and Blade meets Crusader Kings II.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
BeerTent said:
A setting where the Alien race is technologically inferior than Humanity. I've tried this in a RP here, but the RP got fucked by me, and a select few players. (But largely by me forgetting details. I should have expected some deviations.)

Why not have missions where you try to resolve their fights? Attempt to uplift them, only to see them adapt your technology in a way you never expected? Fight both: Humanity with their technology, and this race with their horrible Bio-technology in addition to your technology they've attained?(Nothing launches poison faster than gun-powder. Let's get a nano-shield equipped on a drugged up super-aggressive swordsman.)
I would like to see games where humantiy introduces other races to the stars as a sort of guiding father-figure or mercenary recruitment service.

Imagine what it was like for the Salarians uplifting the Krogan - introducing new technology and systems to a race who were merely industrial level.

The potential for political, cultural and religious conflict in such a game are amazing. Do you embrace them calling your race gods or correct them? Do you treat them equally or like pets/livestock? Interspecies romances? How much access to technology do you give them? Or do you just observe and occasionally nudge the species towards whatever destiny you have planned?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Some ideas:

1) A game set in a modern city, during what is basically a zombie apocolypes. Now, I know this is beyond old by now, but just fallow me for a bit. The zombies are not real zombies, but normal people that have been infected with a nano-tech virus and seperates the persons conciousness from their bodies; i.e. they are fully aware of everything, but are unable to do anything. There is also a way to bring everyone back to normal, so all the "zombies" can be saved from actual death. The main idea is basically to give you the means of either accomplishing the task with either lethal or non-lethal means, with a sort of morality thing between how many "zombies" you kill and how many you leave alive.

2) Its basically the setting for The Secret World, but as a FPS (Dues Ex, not COD) with your character being a blood mage. In this world, magic is powered by a mystic energy (mana for now) thats a kind of run-off of The Life Stream (a power that gives all things life), but while regular mages can only access magic from Mana, as a blood mage, you can access magic from the Life Stream.

3) ... I had another but lost it...

firelightning1

Jul 14, 2011
A game where the apocalypse is happening... in the old west or medeval Europe or feudal Japan would be pretty interesting.

Or Just a free roaming RPG with the end of the world happening (not like the Fallout universe with the war over but with the nukes falling or the meteors hitting) in LA or London, Tokyo would be pretty interesting to.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I'd love to see more games where the majority of it takes place in an ethereal or mental landscape, like a dream or hallucination.

Basically a setting where things like architecture, the laws of physics, and the way you traverse the landscape, can shift in their grounding of reality at any moment. Could lead to interesting potential for abstract puzzles or psychological exploration, and makes me realize why I enjoyed Shivering Isles so much more than Skyrim in retrospect.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
An RPG set in an alternate timeline during the Bronze Age Collapse

The Empire of Atlantis has Fallen, their great power finally overwhelmed by Climatic change brought upon by crystal power. It has unleashed a floodgate of climatic change on Europe, causing Tribes to flee En Masse south to the Mediterranean sea.

The Mycenae City states are at war with each each other. The Long Trojan War and failed crop harvests have left them weak.

The Hittites are being Raided by the mysterious "Sea Peoples", entire settlements are razed to the ground

Egypt Stays isolated, the Old Guard of the ancient world

Not sure what the plot would be, but It would be a nice change of pace from the usual Fantasy RPG, and it would provide a nice playground for all sorts of mythical creatures, Hoplites, Sycthe Chariots, Etc

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
Noir style detective game set in a Modern tech fantasy world.

So the setting is sort of post apocalyptic after gnomes leanred how to harness wild magic into a form that can be controlled by technology. Takes all of three seconds for someone to make a nuke-like bomb and most of the human kingdoms to be wiped out.

Elves manage to survive thanks to their magical prowess while the dwarves seal their underground cities like Vaults from Fallout.

Humans, Orcs and Gnomes find themselves as the new working underclass in elven cities where Magic is now strictly controlled and mages outlawed even while the State uses it as a constant power supply.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
- An elder scrolls game set in the stone age with clubs, cavemen, loincloths, all that good stuff. Ah, why not make it interesting, throw in dinosaurs, volcanoes, jungles and more. It'd be awesome

- A survival horror game where you shipwreck on a mysterious jungle island and try to make your way out of there, all the while disocvering you might not be alone...

- A Cthulhu mythos based horror game about discovering ancient ruins deep beneath the ocean, and what may be lurking there...

In fact I'd like to see more underwater elements in games overall. Glimpsing something indistinguishable but huge underwater is one of the most terrifying things I can think of. I recently downloaded the "Here There be monsters" mod for Skyrim, and it features a Chaurus the size of a large house just swimming underwater. When I found him it was the scariest shit ever.