Your video game hot take(s) thread

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The developers never considered that allowing Travis Grady from Silent Hill: Origins to carry and wield as weapons a truckload of furniture and appliances, such as toasters and filing cabinets, is far too comedic for the typical tone that a Silent Hill game tries to evoke. I can't help but think of Dead Rising and wonder when Travis is going to put on a grade schooler outfit and start slamming silly masks onto the monsters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The developers never considered that allowing Travis Grady from Silent Hill: Origins to carry and wield as weapons a truckload of furniture and appliances, such as toasters and filing cabinets, is far too comedic for the typical tone that a Silent Hill game tries to evoke. I can't help but think of Dead Rising and wonder when Travis is going to put on a grade schooler outfit and start slamming silly masks onto the monsters.
You saw supergreatfriend's playthough of SH: Origins recently?

Reactions: Drathnoxis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Which wierd considering how fucking dark SR2 gets.
I'll take "I want (more) power!"/greed as a motivation factor any day, over "God is dead/Nothing you do matters/Life is meaningless!". It's so boring, overdone, and it's usually done without nuance nor sense of irony. Too many writers screw this up! Especially on the Japanese side of things. At least back in the 90s and 2000s anyway. Not so much today, but it's still pops up every now and then.

Honestly, even most of the Saints Row crew would be wary or get tired of Revy at some point and would want nothing to do with her. Da Boss would show some minor fear and concern at some of her antics. I know she's not the worst, but she's one of the most well-known examples in Black Lagoon and anime. The cast of BL are a field of sunflowers, compared to Johan Liebert from Monster. He is a form of nihilism none of them could ever handle.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'll take "I want (more) power!"/greed as a motivation factor any day, over "God is dead/Nothing you do matters/Life is meaningless!". It's so boring, overdone, and it's usually done without nuance nor sense of irony. Too many writers screw this up! Especially on the Japanese side of things. At least back in the 90s and 2000s anyway. Not so much today, but it's still pops up every now and then.

Honestly, even most of the Saints Row crew will be wary or got tired of Revy at some point, and it would nothing to do with her. Da Boss would show some minor fear concern at some of her antics. I know she's not the worst, but she's one of the most well known examples in Black Lagoon and anime. The cast of BL are a field of sunflowers, compared to Johan Liebert from Monster.
I can't really Argue. Nihilism is really hard to pull off without becoming overly bleak to the point everyone just stops caring. It's interesting to have a character slip into nihilism over time and maybe become the villain, though I can't think of examples of the top of my head.

Of the top of my head, perhaps Drac from the Castlevania series might be the best example of it done right. Even Alucard calls him out on the whole plan being an overly dramatic suicide note.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Of the top of my head, perhaps Drac from the Castlevania series might be the best example of it done right. Even Alucard calls him out on the whole plan being an overly dramatic suicide note.
My favorite piece of nihilism in video game form is Bad Girl from No More Heroes. She's a nice contrast of what Travis Touchdown would become, if he strayed so far into the dark path of becoming an assassin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The censored version of "Vandalize" fits Nero or Saki (Oneechanbara Origin) better than Sonic. While the uncensored version fits D.I.N.O more than anyone else. Ironic, because ONE OK ROCK actually did a promotional song from DmC (2013) for the early marketing of the game.

Censored Version

Uncensored Version

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I've watched a bunch of Gotham Knights reviews and they all praise the skins available.

I'm a well documented skins hater, but really? There are definitely some good ones but majority of them look like overdesigned rubbish. And sadly, unlike most games, the vanilla skins aren't even that good.

Why would you make pirates a theme for skins in a game about the Bat family? Is it some tongue in cheek reference at how this game is gonna be pirated since it's not worth paying for?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sakurai is not wrong, and once again, certain people in the fighting game community overreact over nothing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I still prefer Doom 64, but PlayStation Doom is the best Doom console port of of all time.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've watched a bunch of Gotham Knights reviews and they all praise the skins available.

I'm a well documented skins hater, but really? There are definitely some good ones but majority of them look like overdesigned rubbish. And sadly, unlike most games, the vanilla skins aren't even that good.

Why would you make pirates a theme for skins in a game about the Bat family? Is it some tongue in cheek reference at how this game is gonna be pirated since it's not worth paying for?
Which is kind of weird considering depending on how anal retentive you want to get, Batman himself should have enough material from the past 80 fucking years for at least a dozen different costumes across his many redesigns. Sure Batgirls, Robins and Nightwing and Huntress won't have as many but surely you could ask for some fucking archive material? Hell, even take the rejected designs and make them skins. Nice bits of comic trivia AND you may get to enjoy the spectacle of a clownshoe looking Batman punching thugs and still talking like Christian Bale.