Your video game hot take(s) thread

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I went through a Guitar Hero phase back when you couldn't take two steps without another GH game or accessory popping you in the teeth. I got pretty good, but never managed any consistency beyond a few songs I could manage on Hard. What this guy did is nothing short of insane. TL;DW? 100%'ing an extremely long and fast song on Expert difficulty. My hot take? The time, effort and dedication it had to have taken to practice for this is time, effort and dedication that should have been spent doing literally anything else. It wasn't even my time, and I feel a bit of anger that it was wasted.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I went through a Guitar Hero phase back when you couldn't take two steps without another GH game or accessory popping you in the teeth. I got pretty good, but never managed any consistency beyond a few songs I could manage on Hard. What this guy did is nothing short of insane. TL;DW? 100%'ing an extremely long and fast song on Expert difficulty. My hot take? The time, effort and dedication it had to have taken to practice for this is time, effort and dedication that should have been spent doing literally anything else. It wasn't even my time, and I feel a bit of anger that it was wasted.

I could never get into GH nor Rock Band. I was not that good, but those games and peripherals were way too expensive. There were and are too many better and more interesting games to play. Glad I never really took a nosedive into those fads.

People claiming that the names of some the new characters in SFVI are "too basic, not as exotic/foreign, nor interesting" need to stop. A good amount of the new generation characters' lives in an American city based off of N.Y. Of course, they're not gonna have foreign sounding names. I do not find the names boring and matches the characters' personalities and respective fighting styles. This is nothing new, and something that has been going on since SF III. Do names like Sean and Remmy ring any bells? The game is more urban, hood, and street focused any way, just like III. Nothing new here; happy it's back.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saints Row doesn't have the fratbro bonafides that GTA does.
Ironic, as I knew a couple of frat bros that love the Saints Row series. Though some of them still considered GTA top dog. My brother was part of an engineer fraternity, but they actually got crap done and didn't act like douchebags. He too is a big Saints Row fan, and tends to like it more than GTA. But you'll never see him touch the first game again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Google deserves credit for offering Stadia refunds. Sure it's fun to make fun of Stadia but at least they're admitting the failure and acting on it which is not a thing I see from major game companies.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Google deserves credit for offering Stadia refunds. Sure it's fun to make fun of Stadia but at least they're admitting the failure and acting on it which is not a thing I see from major game companies.
I'd be curious to know what's the total amount they're refunding. Multi-billion dollar companies aren't generally know for this kind of benevolence. It'll probably be paid out in credit to the Google Store.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
but at least they're admitting the failure and acting on it which is not a thing I see from major game companies.
Depends on who you're talking about on the admitting the failure part. There's quite a few that failed this.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
No.
I actually like the idea. I mean, the obviousness of his innate regeneration ability aside, it'd be interesting to see a different mechanic to indicate his current status instead of a bog standard health bar. I think momentarily hobbling him depending on which injury he suffers is more in line with the nature of the character. He's not immune to pain, so if he's shot in the shoulder, maybe it takes several seconds before he can use that arm in an appreciable way. Shot in the leg impairs his mobility, and you move more slowly for a while, etc. It'd be difficult to sell a fitting "punishment" for every potentiality, but at least they could try.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I actually like the idea. I mean, the obviousness of his innate regeneration ability aside, it'd be interesting to see a different mechanic to indicate his current status instead of a bog standard health bar. I think momentarily hobbling him depending on which injury he suffers is more in line with the nature of the character. He's not immune to pain, so if he's shot in the shoulder, maybe it takes several seconds before he can use that arm in an appreciable way. Shot in the leg impairs his mobility, and you move more slowly for a while, etc. It'd be difficult to sell a fitting "punishment" for every potentiality, but at least they could try.
I should have been more specific. The injury status I do not mind. I just want health meters. Wolverine can still show physical damage and all that, but I prefer having health meter. The devs at Activision were able to pull that off greatly in the HD versions of Wolverine: Uncaged Edition.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Perez has many major points, but don't be dissing Contra 4 and Gunstar Superheroes.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I know I'm a bit late on this one, but the CoD Modern Warfare games feel oddly on point with their depictions of Russia being a bunch of Ultranationalist warcrimey dipshits. Disturbingly so.

OTOH, the bits where they invade the US East Coast and then all of Europe almost on top of each other has aged extremely poorly considering how badly the actual Russian army is doing in Ukriane.

Don't get me wrong. The games are still stupid, they're just stupid in different ways now.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I know I'm a bit late on this one, but the CoD Modern Warfare games feel oddly on point with their depictions of Russia being a bunch of Ultranationalist warcrimey dipshits. Disturbingly so.

OTOH, the bits where they invade the US East Coast and then all of Europe almost on top of each other has aged extremely poorly considering how badly the actual Russian army is doing in Ukriane.

Don't get me wrong. The games are still stupid, they're just stupid in different ways now.
The cod games do paint the Russians as unrealistically competent.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The cod games do paint the Russians as unrealistically competent.
They were unrealistically competent when the game released, with 10 bazillion soldiers and the ability to pull logistics out of their ass and somehow sneak their ENTIRE MILITARY to the US EAST COAST without being noticed. Also the whole thing about how Russia is either cartoonishly(though disturbingly realistically) evil or the bad guys are some splinter part of the Russia military the Russian Leader totally doesn't support their war crimes or something(and has to be kidnapped by Makarov because he's not sufficently evil) and Makarov has to buy his bullets from Brazil because reasons never actually explained in game.

Now it's like "How did that Russian attack force get as far as they did without running out of fuel and ammo 10 miles inside the Polish Border"?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Most anime games (based off of actual anime/manga IP) have gotten too homogenous. They're either arena fighters, fighting games, Dynasty Warriors but with X, and pull too much from Shonen Jump. There are other genres that exists! Platforming, run-n-gun, sandbox, brawlers, racing, etc.! How about a Black Lagoon GTA game? A Redline arcade racer? A new Ghost in the Shell 3rd person shooter that is good? A Battle Angel/GUNM or Kill La Kill stylish action game?! The possibilities are endless! Not all anime games were perfect back in the 90s and 2000s, but at least they tried doing different ideas, in different avenues.

EDIT: Even FMA got this right some of the time in its heyday.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Most anime games (based off of actual anime/manga IP) have gotten too homogenous. They're either arena fighters, fighting games, Dynasty Warriors but with X. and pull too much from Shonen Jump. There are other genres that exists! Platforming, run-n-gun, sandbox, brawlers, racing, etc.! How about a Black Lagoon GTA game? A Redline arcade racer? A new Ghost in the Shell 3rd person shooter that is good? A Battle Angel/GUNM or Kill La Kill stylish action game?! The possibilities are endless! Not all anime games were perfect back in the 90s and 2000s, but at least they tried doing different ideas, in different avenues.

EDIT: Even FMA got this right some of the time in its heyday.

To be fair, you can make Saint's Row a Black Lagoon fan game with a little work in the character creator. Not the real thing of course but not that far off either

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Can't exactly blame people either way for getting the Tales of Symphonia Remastered Edition or not. The original GC version from 2004 is still the superior edition.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pretty good list for the Stylish Action Games, but I would not put Nier: Automata that high. The story and characters are excellent, but the combat is too basic compared to Platinum's usual flair. I dislike how it handles difficulty modes too. There is no point to playing the hardest difficulty.
  • S Rank - DMC5, DMC3:SE (best on Switch), Streets of Rage 4, and Bayonetta 2.
  • A Rank - Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish, Transformers Devastation, No More Heroes III, Viewtiful Joe, and DMC4:SE.
  • B Rank - God Hand, Bayonetta, Oneechanbara Z2, Killer Is Dead, NMH1 & 2, DMC1, Oneechanbara Origin, Anarchy Reigns, W101, Ninja Gaiden II/Simga 2, and Gungrave.
  • C Rank - Viewtiful Joe 2, Astral Chain, DmC: DE, NierAutomata, Bujingai, and NG3:RE.
  • D Rank - DmC_Vanilla (2013), Lollipop Chainsaw, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.
  • F Rank - DMC 2, Gungrave Overdose, and Ninja Gaiden 3 (Vanilla).
I still have to play the original 3D Ninja Gaiden. I will just pop in Sigma and go from there.