Your video game hot take(s) thread

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Which is kind of weird considering depending on how anal retentive you want to get, Batman himself should have enough material from the past 80 fucking years for at least a dozen different costumes across his many redesigns. Sure Batgirls, Robins and Nightwing and Huntress won't have as many but surely you could ask for some fucking archive material? Hell, even take the rejected designs and make them skins. Nice bits of comic trivia AND you may get to enjoy the spectacle of a clownshoe looking Batman punching thugs and still talking like Christian Bale.
That's definitely the weird thing about all this. Why did they put so much effort into coming up with new shit when there's already so much material to work with?

Now that I think about it, the answer is probably that this game was going to be a live service and all the actual good skins were going to be content drops.

The only good skins in my opinion are the ones based on Jim Lee's art. That Nightwing and Robin look spectacular.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is a hot take I can agree with to an extent. Most of my library of games are all third-party.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Wait, that's a well said explanation?

I mean, it's *long* sure, but it reads as

to me

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Wait, that's a well said explanation?

I mean, it's *long* sure, but it reads as

to me
Yes, it's a well written explanation. He explained the realities of world making in a way that avoided any possible mistep that would let people get outraged over it only for people to get outraged for no reason.

If people are responding with, "Man why didn't you just give me something I could easily get outraged over by just saying 'no'?" then yes, it's probably a well written response.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yes, it's a well written explanation. He explained the realities of world making in a way that avoided any possible mistep that would let people get outraged over it only for people to get outraged for no reason.

If people are responding with, "Man why didn't you just give me something I could easily get outraged over by just saying 'no'?" then yes, it's probably a well written response.
Man, he spent 1000 words saying how it would be unrealistic for black people to exist in his "historically researched" medieval European inspired game where the characters look like gritty 4K renders of the Tales of Bersaria cast.

Not saying the man is racist, but at best it's lazy and it's not like Yoshi P and Sqeenix in general don't have their issues with colorism.

Nov 9, 2015
The moral of the story is that you should never engage with people that will never be convinced. Do so and you give them further reason to keep you in their mind. At this point the correct PR thing is to give a non-answer like, "Well we don't want to give any info on potential characters that haven't been revealed."

It's disingenuous but that's the best answer to avoid or at least delay these people writing articles about you saying you're a racist but not really, but I wouldn't be surprised if... , kind of thing.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Just...where to start

"Geographically and culturally isolated", but watch as the game will probably feature some magic teleportation or flying creatures.

Square Enix still operates within the anime visual style, even when going for realistic graphics, so yeah that usually defaults them to the generic, white skinned, anime look.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The moral of the story is that you should never engage with people that will never be convinced. Do so and you give them further reason to keep you in their mind. At this point the correct PR thing is to give a non-answer like, "Well we don't want to give any info on potential characters that haven't been revealed."

It's disingenuous but that's the best answer to avoid or at least delay these people writing articles about you saying you're a racist but not really, but I wouldn't be surprised if... , kind of thing.
"The only winning move is not to play."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
With the way Bayonetta 3 handles its combat mechanics, there is no need for an Astral Chain 2. While Bayo3's levels have less details than either 1 or especially 2, there is more variety of exploration and semi-open ended level design. The game even brings back some interesting puzzle solving. Compared to DMC5's level design, where is mostly narrow hallways with samey environments after a while. Even with less details, Bayo3 has level variety and you're going to entirely different places. Bayo3 has the best set pieces in any hack n slash or video game ever! Now the most weapon variety too. That's less of a hot take and me loving to say that out loud!

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well I appreciate the enthusiasm, BrawlMan. For the first time in a while I will look forward to holiday and plane travels 'cuase I get to play Bayo3.

In also a positive note, this game structure style that is like some "roguelite" dungeon-crawling and some management sime, with lighter/easier versions of each, is my new favorite subgenre. Playing Cult of the Lamb now and earlier this year Boyfriend Dungeon, it is just so delightful to be able to dungeon crawl while listening to music or a podcast, then go back to your little map and characters and proceed with some story or leveling up.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
With the way Bayonetta 3 handles its combat mechanics, there is no need for an Astral Chain 2. While Bayo3's levels have less details than either 1 or especially 2, there is more variety of exploration and semi-open ended level design. The game even brings back some interesting puzzle solving. Compared to DMC5's level design, where is mostly narrow hallways with samey environments after a while. Even with less details, Bayo3 has level variety and you're going to entirely different places. Bayo3 has the best set pieces in any hack n slash or video game ever! Now the most weapon variety too. That's less of a hot take and me loving to say that out loud!
The gameplay of the two is pretty different so I don't really understand.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The gameplay of the two is pretty different so I don't really understand.
There are some differences yes, but Bayonetta 3 takes many elements from Astral Chain. Both games either have a pause combo, or a combo finisher that contains a flash, signaling a demon/legion attack (a game play element taken from Transformers Devastation with its vehicle attacks), having your demon or legion attack or take too much damage, can cause them to go berserk and attack anybody (sadly this is only relegated the story for astral chain and not incorporated into gameplay), and many times you go into this chaos dimension. The only difference is AC's dimension is usually red, while B3's is mostly purple until late game, and it starts turning red. Also, before installment is using many elements that was going to be in Scalebound.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
There is no such thing as "overrated."

This isn't just my games hot take this is my everything hot take. I hate this term, it's lazy and attention-grabbing. I'm not saying popularity is prime determinate of quality (lord knows I love a lotta weird stuff) but it's not to be mocked and ignored all the time, either.

I was reminded of this with the recent episode of Slightly Something Else where Yahtzee makes the case that GoW 2018 isn't THAT good. But... it is. And yes, it's largely because like everyone says so. His self-aware argument is that the change in style isn't interesting to him or unique to the franchise, and that is a fair observation.
And I am contrasting these observations to SkillUp's glowing review of Ragnarok, where he focuses on the pure quality of execution- graphics, gameplay, mechanics, performance, etc.

God of War games are awesome, all of the major ones, I just can't respect anyone trying to argue like AKCHOOLLY the old ones are just Devil May Cry but this and that and new ones are just Uncharted but that and this... so lame.

Look, I freaking hated Breath of the Wild and Outer Wilds, personally. Just, whatever "gaming" is for me, those are the opposite of what my brains and hands wants and if those were the only types of games that were made I'd just not do it any more. But that is ME, my tastes. Obviously those two games are freaking brilliant. I know this because everyone else says so.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
GoW 2018 isn't THAT good. But... it is. And yes, it's largely because like everyone says so. His self-aware argument is that the change in style isn't interesting to him or unique to the franchise, and that is a fair observation.
And I am contrasting these observations to SkillUp's glowing review of Ragnarok, where he focuses on the pure quality of execution- graphics, gameplay, mechanics, performance, etc.

God of War games are awesome, all of the major ones, I just can't respect anyone trying to argue like AKCHOOLLY the old ones are just Devil May Cry but this and that and new ones are just Uncharted but that and this... so lame.
People are afraid of change. Yahtzee was not the only one with his mindset. Gaming Brit had the exact same problem, yet even worse. I was guilty of this myself, until I stopped and realized how foolish this was a few months before God of War 4 launched. Another case of irony, is that the fourth God of War game, was also heavily inspired by Resident Evil 4. Another game where people complained about too much change and Yahtzee loves the crap out of it. "Because it got away from the stupidity of the franchise". Which is always full of crap. He said the same thing about RE7.

All your words are spoken like the heart of a true gamer. You follow your own path and truth. Not being some contrarian dick, nor following what everyone else said for the sake of sounding smart or being with it. Awesome to the max.

Stories in games are important. I'm still a game play over story person, but the story does matter in a lot of these games nowadays. Even from the ones back then. The stories don't have to be Oscar-worthy, as long as you have good character design and interactions, people will grow attached to them. Especially if those characters grow properly within the game, in between games, or the further they go into a franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

This isn't just my games hot take this is my everything hot take. I hate this term, it's lazy and attention-grabbing. I'm not saying popularity is prime determinate of quality (lord knows I love a lotta weird stuff) but it's not to be mocked and ignored all the time, either.

I was reminded of this with the recent episode of Slightly Something Else where Yahtzee makes the case that GoW 2018 isn't THAT good. But... it is. And yes, it's largely because like everyone says so. His self-aware argument is that the change in style isn't interesting to him or unique to the franchise, and that is a fair observation.

Look, I freaking hated Breath of the Wild and Outer Wilds, personally. Just, whatever "gaming" is for me, those are the opposite of what my brains and hands wants and if those were the only types of games that were made I'd just not do it any more. But that is ME, my tastes. Obviously those two games are freaking brilliant. I know this because everyone else says so.
People are afraid of change. Yahtzee was not the only one with his mindset. Gaming Brit had the exact same problem. I was guilty of this myself, until I stopped and realized how foolish this was a few months before God of War 4 launched Another case of irony, is that the fourth God of War game, was also heavily inspired by Resident Evil 4. Another game where people complained about too much change and Yahtzee loves the crap out of it. "Because it got away from the stupidity of the franchise". Which is always full of crap. He said the same thing about RE7.

All your words are spoken like the heart of a true gamer. You follow your own path and truth. Not being some contrary and dick, nor following what everyone else search for the sake of sounding smart or being with it. Awesome to the max.

Stories and games are important. I'm still a game play over story person, but the story does matter in a lot of these games nowadays. Even from the ones back then. The stories don't have to be oscar-worthy, as long as you have good character design and interactions, people will grow attached to them. Especially if those characters grow properly within the game, in between games, or the further they go into a franchise.
In some cases they also just want to be contrarians to try and stand out from the pack. It’s why while I usually like to hear what people think about a game or anything entertainment-related, I take it with a giant grain of salt. Fine if a ton of people like something, but there have also been underdogs that I’ve been surprised by. Review scores are mostly attention grabbers and obligatory by default. Scoring systems should never be the bottom line either. It’s the “why” that’s important.

I won’t watch until after playing the game, but this is his second review, which sounds like it has a good balance of both criticism and praise -

I will post it in the main thread too.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I disagree. I think there IS such a thing but I don't think people use the term properly.

For instance, Ocarina of Time. Good game? Yes. Amazing for its time? Yes. Hugely influential? Hell yes. Best game ever? No. I wouldn't even call it the best 3D Zelda game. So I would say it's overrated by people BUT I don't say this with malice or annoyance, I just mean from an objective perspective it tends to be considered even better than it is because of how influential it was.

Usually "overrated" is used as "It's popular and I don't like it", when it should be "given more merit than it has in reality".

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I just mean from an objective perspective it tends to be considered even better than it is because of how influential it was.
But if it's so influential, that implies it's "objectively" great? Or you're just using to use different qualifications for "objectively great," which is by definition subjective. Maybe you're thinking about performance, graphics, quest design (which is also largely subjective). But I would argue that by virtue of being so influential, it is as great as its reputation.
It's like you know why the Beatles are the greatest band of all time? Yes it's purely their "influence." I know that Metallica can play guitar "better," it doesn't matter. An extreme example but I hope the point comes across.

I think the only "objective" things of judging a game is like bugs or whatever. I just finished Cult of the Lamb and you and I and someone may have totally different opinions on if the difficulty is fair, the weapon variety enough for the grind, the management stuff interesting or whatever- but one "objectively bad" thing in the game is that in some rooms of the 4th dungeon, sometimes an enemy would be outside the battle arena and I couldn't kill it but you have to kill everything to advance so I have to quit the game and restart from last save.

Stories in games are important. I'm still a game play over story person, but the story does matter in a lot of these games nowadays. Even from the ones back then. The stories don't have to be oscar-worthy, as long as you have good character design and interactions, people will grow attached to them. Especially if those characters grow properly within the game, in between games, or the further they go into a franchise.
It is weird to me when people judge game stories like it's a movie. "Oh this is so gamey." Like, my dudes, it's a game. I NEED a "story" to propel my gaming but a simple revenge or save-the-world situation will be enough to get started. And this is why I defend That Las of Us 2 hahah.

On the flip side, I criticize so much current movies and TV for being too video-gamey. When I'm passively watching I want a more engaging complicated narrative because all I'm doing is watching.
I think that's why my most pleasant surprise in entertainment this year has been decent animated shows based on game properties (I know Castlevania has been out a while but I only got onto it recently). They cleverly took the settings and added original, compelling stories with kickass action.

Like the criticisms of Assassins Creed or Witcher or Horizon games where the story "suffers" because of the open world or side quests. Like yo we know what the story is, save the world from evil, whatever calm down nerds lol. Some dork on Polygon wrote an article about how Bayonetta 3 RUINED EVERYTHING for them because the ending and I gotta say I don't give a fig on what the ending is if the game works and is fun.