Your video game hot take(s) thread

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't like coming I don't like coming for Kotaku's defense
You don't like it so much you said it twice :D.

Because that has nothing to do with Nintendo. I never forgot about that moment and it still dumb, but I'm not going to rag on Sterling for not bringing it up
I didn't expect Sterling to bring it up, I meant it as an example of the garbage Kotaku does that leads them to earn these blacklists. It's not even really about playing by the rules, it's Kotaku posting junk and not earning any publisher's respect to be invited to places. It's one thing to be blacklisted because you negatively reviewed a game, I don't think anyone agrees with that being something that's okay to do. But being blacklisted for publishing trash? Well that is more understandable as why would a publisher want to offer early review access or previews to a website that produces dogshit nobody likes. Kotaku has a bad reputation of their own making and it's no shock that it's made some publishers ignore them.

Besides it's not like Kotaku has built itself as a go-to place for gaming news, reviews, and previews.

So in other words both sides have a point, and neither are better than the other.
I mean if Kotaku is reporting news about a leak, that's the LEAST shitty thing they can do as a "gaming" site. It might be a little shitty if they are only doing it because they are big mad they didn't get a party invite though. And Nintendo isn't really a part of that outside of having shitty security on a console they made. So yes they are at fault, but for completely different reasons.

I'm sure Tears Of The Kingdom will be a great game, but it sure as hell ain't worth a $70 price tag. Glad I'm not a Zelda fan in this case. The only reason Nintendo is doing this, is because Sony and Microsoft have done it with their games.
You know I'm not a Zelda fan, but I think the game is probably worth the $ 70 tbh. By all accounts it's bigger than Breath of the Wild, so I think it's probably the most $70 game Nintendo has made recently. It's not like it runs like shit the way the last Pokemon games did.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You know I'm not a Zelda fan, but I think the game is probably worth the $ 70 tbh. By all accounts it's bigger than Breath of the Wild, so I think it's probably the most $70 game Nintendo has made recently. It's not like it runs like shit the way the last Pokemon games did.
Although it still most likely also cost them far less than big games on PS5, given their tech is at least a generation or two behind. Maybe they figure shelling out for VA’s is enough justification now, idk. They’re only doing it because that’s the “new norm” and they know with it being Zelda, people will pay it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Besides it's not like Kotaku has built itself as a go-to place for gaming news, reviews, and previews.
Doesn't matter at this point, cuz people are still gullible or dumb enough to click bait. Especially those YouTube reactionaries. They think they're smart and above the system but they're playing into its and Kotaku's hands.

It's one thing to be blacklisted because you negatively reviewed a game, I don't think anyone agrees with that being something that's okay to do.
I agree, but depends on who you're talking about. There are plenty of psychotic fans that were happy at the aspect of somebody being blacklisted for a negative review. You and I both know this.

1. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.
  2. They know they don't have to charge $70. They're only doing it, cuz they know their Nintendo and their Fanboys/girls will line up to buy it.
  3. They are devaluing their other 1st party games that are not $70. I seen that official statement from Nintendo of America, where they say this is an "elite luxury" game, that's "better" than their standard $60 games. Like a game is some goddamn luxury car! On a console that is now about nearly 8 years old. Keep in mind, Nintendo rarely ever price drops their games. They won't price drop physical versions, until 5 to 8 years after the fact at $20.
  4. Sony and Microsoft admitted that they lost money and not that many people are buying $70 games. Gee, I wonder why? Most people are either going for cheaper games, price drop, or games that are free to play. It's only won't even put most of their first party games on PS and until way later after the fact now. Because they claim it devalues their games, when in reality it's the cheaper and better games that are devaluing them. Devouring their so-called "luxury car" games. This is the crap I was talking about beforehand and it's still relevant now.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sterling with a hot take.

Oh right, the Tears of the Kingdom leaks.

Let me guess; Link is the hero, Ganon is the villain, and Zelda is the damsel, force of Hope, or both. And by the end Link defeats Ganon with the help of Zelda's Hope magic. This is a Nintendo game people - you can't spoil Nintendo games.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There are plenty of psychotic fans that were happy at the aspect of somebody being blacklisted for a negative review. You and I both know this.
Yeah but you can't hold crazy fans as the standard for ruleset. There are crazy people online, big shock, it shouldn't be the basis for anything.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Let me guess; Link is the hero, Ganon is the villain, and Zelda is the damsel, force of Hope, or both. And by the end Link defeats Ganon with the help of Zelda's Hope magic. This is a Nintendo game people - you can't spoil Nintendo games.
Link will use a sword and some other breakable shit, and uh...good will win probably. lol

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah but you can't hold crazy fans as the standard for ruleset. There are crazy people online, big shock, it shouldn't be the basis for anything.
A person can when it has happened often, or said psychotic fans harass somebody for a negative review or just pointing out a problem with a game. To the point that this has been "normalized" in the industry. Said psychotic fans will just harass people for having seizures from a game. That means you Cyberpunk 2077 psychotic fans.

:whistle:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

tbf, it's more about the mechanics and gameplay, and there has been a LOT of speculation and prognostication about this game, more than most- the amount of "open-worldness," whether dungeons will have more of a presence, how weapon degradation will evolve, how the sky areas will play into it, etc and so on. And when the first trailers should LInk building a raft that opened up all sorts of possibilities.

Now, I agree with Sterling- especially the point about Kotaku isn't as important or worthy of the hate it gets from some gamrs- but there is stuff to "spoil."

It's funny, I don't like 3D Zelda games so will never play this but purely from the perspective of following game trends and design, it is just interesting to see what they're going to do with it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
tbf, it's more about the mechanics and gameplay, and there has been a LOT of speculation and prognostication about this game, more than most- the amount of "open-worldness," whether dungeons will have more of a presence, how weapon degradation will evolve, how the sky areas will play into it, etc and so on. And when the first trailers should LInk building a raft that opened up all sorts of possibilities.

Now, I agree with Sterling- especially the point about Kotaku isn't as important or worthy of the hate it gets from some gamrs- but there is stuff to "spoil."

It's funny, I don't like 3D Zelda games so will never play this but purely from the perspective of following game trends and design, it is just interesting to see what they're going to do with it.
Sure, but those aren't the kind of leaks that you can easily spoil yourself on by seeing the wrong thumbnail.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Remember when they asked Yoshi-P why Final Fantasy 16 has no black people in it, because historically there might have been three black people in the setting therefore deserve to be included?
What setting was that? I thought the Final Fantasy settings were conjured up from the fantasy of the people at Square Enix.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What setting was that? I thought the Final Fantasy settings were conjured up from the fantasy of the people at Square Enix.
They are but they are always based on some fashion of medieval Western Europe and classic fantasy settings like that.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
They are but they are always based on some fashion of medieval Western Europe and classic fantasy settings like that.
And the strength of fantasy is that you can include anything you want, like a gunblade, a ninja clan, an airship or mountable chickens, so I don't think using "history" as an argument holds much water.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And the strength of fantasy is that you can include anything you want, like a gunblade, a ninja clan, an airship or mountable chickens, so I don't think using "history" as an argument holds much water.
Even making a fantasy world, history and culture will still matter an impact how that world is envisioned. Being a Japanese developed game they are going to be influenced by their vision of classic fantasy if that's the world they plan on creating.

So the common excuse of "It's their fantasy world they can make people of any color they want" doesn't really track. And it isn't like they totally dismiss PoC's as potential characters either, see Barret or Sazh. But that also doesn't mean it's a common thought when they go about making a world.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Even making a fantasy world, history and culture will still matter an impact how that world is envisioned. Being a Japanese developed game they are going to be influenced by their vision of classic fantasy if that's the world they plan on creating.
In other words, it's an argument from pastiche, not from history.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America