Your video game hot take(s) thread

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It’s certainly an opinion and one you’re entitled to have but considering some of the total bullshit in games that passes for a sword, the Master Sword is practically a study in realism.
Proportionally, sure, but this is supposed to be the Master Sword; the sword of swords. And its design doesn't give that impression at all. Unless that's the idea behind it, that this hokey looking sword is actually super powerful, but I don't think that's the case. I think this is supposed to be one of those iconic videogame designs.
The Keyblade is just a dumb weapon. It's not a blade, it's just a key. Or maybe a Keybat, or Keyclub, or Keymace. Definitely not a blade, though.
I think that's kinda the idea; something that is not a weapon used as a weapon. It's neat when it's a dorky cartoon kid wielding it against dorky shadow goons, but as soon as overly cool guys in black trenchcoats start using them it loses its charm and just becomes fucking stupid.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Proportionally, sure, but this is supposed to be the Master Sword; the sword of swords. And its design doesn't give that impression at all. Unless that's the idea behind it, that this hokey looking sword is actually super powerful, but I don't think that's the case. I think this is supposed to be one of those iconic videogame designs.
I think that's kinda the idea; something that is not a weapon used as a weapon. It's neat when it's a dorky cartoon kid wielding it against dorky shadow goons, but as soon as overly cool guys in black trenchcoats start using them it loses its charm and just becomes fucking stupid.
Mentions of the Keyblade always remind me of this

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The Keyblade is just a dumb weapon. It's not a blade, it's just a key. Or maybe a Keybat, or Keyclub, or Keymace. Definitely not a blade, though.
Agreed. Keyclub is what I've started calling it.

I’ve heard of it, and will keep it in mind for a Steam sale.
Keep in mind that that particular mechanic is introduced in the second game in the series.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It also became more hokey when the whole "Locking the heart of the world from darkness" aspect of it became minor trivia about all its powers.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Supergreatfriend has become significantly dumber over the past 10 years. A puzzle that took him 45 seconds in 2012 (00:42:00) took him over 2 1/2 minutes in 2022 (02:14:00). I like him, but it's becoming increasingly painful watching him struggle whenever a puzzle comes up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Supergreatfriend has become significantly dumber over the past 10 years. A puzzle that took him 45 seconds in 2012 (00:42:00) took him over 2 1/2 minutes in 2022 (02:14:00). I like him, but it's becoming increasingly painful watching him struggle whenever a puzzle comes up.
No one is perfect, I don't expect him, nor every gaming streamer/youtuber to be batting a 1000 each time. I don't watch every single one of his videos, but everyone has their skill level. A two and half minutes is not much of a skill loss or signs of some one getting "dumber". I've struggled on puzzles too.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
No one is perfect, I don't expect him, nor every gaming streamer/youtuber to be batting a 1000 each time. I don't watch every single one of his videos, but everyone has their skill level. A two and half minutes is not much of a skill loss or signs of some one getting "dumber". I've struggled on puzzles too.
It's over 3 times slower, on a puzzle he'd already done before. 2 1/2 minutes isn't long, no, but it's also the first puzzle in the game. It's simply the fact that he'd already done that puzzle 10 years ago that makes it an interesting example.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's over 3 times slower, on a puzzle he'd already done before. 2 1/2 minutes isn't long, no, but it's also the first puzzle in the game. It's simply the fact that he'd already done that puzzle 10 years ago that makes it an interesting example.
He had a dumb moment; whoop-dee doo. Do you know how many dumb moments Max_Dood has had with a puzzle or something with an obvious solution? As long the person doesn't act like a douche about, I don't care.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The review/reaction cycle for Jedi: Survivor has me doubling-down on an old hot take of mine:
I don't care about "customization." Your character's clothes, haircut, hat, whatever.
I mean, sure, if it's in a game I may mess around with it but it's like the 56th most important thing in a game. It's a little extra thing.

But to hear some of the reaction to Jedi: Survivor- including from review outlets and content creators that I normally do respect- it's so cool and great that you can change this Jedi's.. jacket. And beard! Like, srsly, what is happeing?!

Especially galling is that these cosmetics are rewards for side missions, I've seen this praised as an improvement over the ponchos of the last game. I'm sorry- no, it's the same crap. And finding a beard in a chest is hand-waved as being silly but fine. You know that same kind of thing was ripped apart when it happened in Forspoken.

One reviewer was talking about how part of the Jedi fantasy growing up was customizing your lightsaber and another was about cool jackets. I'm sorry... what? What the actual holy fuck- no one was like "yo wouldn't it be amazing if you had a lightsaber with a brown handle but you could replace it with a lighter brown handle?" What is wrong with people?

I'm going to blame live service games rotting our collective brain. Even the folks shitting on microtransactions for cosmetics are orgasming over cosmetics being inserted into core gameplay experiences.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One reviewer was talking about how part of the Jedi fantasy growing up was customizing your lightsaber and another was about cool jackets. I'm sorry... what? What the actual holy fuck- no one was like "yo wouldn't it be amazing if you had a lightsaber with a brown handle but you could replace it with a lighter brown handle?" What is wrong with people?

I'm going to blame live service games rotting our collective brain. Even the folks shitting on microtransactions for cosmetics are orgasming over cosmetics being inserted into core gameplay experiences.
Desperation and looking for any positive aspects to justify their purchase of a mediocre game with a shitty PC port. Hi-Fi Rush has 20x's the costumes and custimization options than whatever below megers Jedi Survior has to offer.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Desperation and looking for any positive aspects to justify their purchase of a mediocre game with a shitty PC port. Hi-Fi Rush has 20x's the costumes and custimization options than whatever below megers Jedi Survior has to offer.
Reviewers and youtubers don't buy games lol. Also I'm not saying Jedi Survivor is a mediocre game, I will play and enjoy it very much as I did the first one. It's just the one I'm using as an example.
Like- you get to be a Jedi and lightsaber mfers! That is the appeal, and folks talking about jackets lol. That is what is silly.
Hi-Fi Rush has customization? I didn't see any of it and I beat the game. I did hear that you can customize for post-game but I personally don't care about post game because post game means I'm done with game

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hi-Fi Rush has customization?
Yes. After beating the game, you can buy costume sets, or mix and match them in any order. If you pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition, it came with a few costumes, but most of them are unlocks after beating the game.

I didn't see any of it and I beat the game. I did hear that you can customize for post-game but I personally don't care about post game because post game means I'm done with game
You have to talk to CNMN, while he's by the mirror. He'll always be by the mirror in the hideout during your first run and post game. When you get to the costumes, you can buy them with the in-game currency you've been collecting the whole time by beating enemies or picking them up throughout all the levels.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oh cool, chivalry 2 is part of month's free games, been wanting to try!

Oh cool, it's even got campaign mode for both sides of conflict!

Hang on, just trying to figure out where to start the campaign in menu.

?

Hm?

Ah. I see, you just click on progression tab here annnnnd let the fun commen...

...It's locked behind the bloody battle pass???

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-17.jpg

Well, glad to have the hard drive space returned. Back to trusty single player action horror games it is then!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reviewers and youtubers don't buy games lol
Depends on who you're talking about.

Well, glad to have the hard drive space returned. Back to trusty single player action horror games it is then!
Which one are you playing? RE4 Remake (or the original), Dead Space Remake (or original 1 and 2) Evil Within 2, or something else?

I remember chatting with a user I subscribe to back in 2020. I recommended him Streets of Rage 4, and he gently turned it down. That's not the issue though. My main issue is that he cleaned that the game was "too old school" and he doesn't play old school brawlers. My man, you'll defend the crap out of DMC1, Ninja Gaiden Black, and God Hand. Those are 3D examples, but they definitely have a bunch of old school designs that don't exactly work today. Just say it's not your thing and move on. You had no problem buying and playing Way Of The Passive Fist. A game that's pretty much third strike and brawler form, but doesn't have much else going for it. You tried it and you didn't like it. I didn't buy it, because I wouldn't work out for me. If you're not interested in something, that's fine but don't add the preface of "too old school" as an excuse.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The review/reaction cycle for Jedi: Survivor has me doubling-down on an old hot take of mine:
I don't care about "customization." Your character's clothes, haircut, hat, whatever.
I mean, sure, if it's in a game I may mess around with it but it's like the 56th most important thing in a game. It's a little extra thing.

But to hear some of the reaction to Jedi: Survivor- including from review outlets and content creators that I normally do respect- it's so cool and great that you can change this Jedi's.. jacket. And beard! Like, srsly, what is happeing?!

Especially galling is that these cosmetics are rewards for side missions, I've seen this praised as an improvement over the ponchos of the last game. I'm sorry- no, it's the same crap. And finding a beard in a chest is hand-waved as being silly but fine. You know that same kind of thing was ripped apart when it happened in Forspoken.

Okay, you might not like it, it's your hot take. But a lot of other people do, including me. Character creators in games, specifically RPGs, are a thing for a reason. Again, you don't like it then you don't like it, but framing other people liking it as losing respect for them or saying they're suffering from brain rot... get real dude.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay, you might not like it, it's your hot take. But a lot of other people do, including me. Character creators in games, specifically RPGs, are a thing for a reason. Again, you don't like it then you don't like it, but framing other people liking it as losing respect for them or saying they're suffering from brain rot... get real dude.
While he could have been nicer about it, Hunter has a point. Using minimal (only barely better than the last game) costume and accessory customization options as something to be proud of, because it's not live service or barely better than life service it's not something to strive for or be over praising. There's a reason why I mentioned Hi-Fi Rush's costume unlocks and customization. We all know games like the Souls series, Mass Effect, Spiderman, and even freaking No More Heroes and Oneechanbara Z2: Chaos have better costume unlocks and customizations in what Survivor is offering.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
While he could have been nicer about it, Hunter has a point. Using minimal (only barely better than the last game) costume and accessory customization options as something to be proud of, because it's not live service or barely better than life service it's not something to strive for or be over praising. There's a reason why I mentioned Hi-Fi Rush's costume unlocks and customization. We all know games like the Souls series, Mass Effect, Spiderman, and even freaking No More Heroes and Oneechanbara Z2: Chaos have better costume unlocks and customizations in what Survivor is offering.
Do we know that? Mass Effect offers very little in terms of actual costume changes, since most of the time you're wearing space armor. And Souls has never really been about visual customization. Not that it's not there, but you pretty much wear what you feel you need to, not what looks good. And Spider-Man actually has less customization options than Jedi Survivor.

And no, it's not only barely better. It's significantly better. Outside of gender, face, and hair color you can now pretty much give yourself the look you want, and this has improved my experience playing it. If that's praise worthy, I don't know, but in comparison to the first game it is certainly worth mentioning. Like in a review, for example.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mass Effect offers very little in terms of actual costume changes, since most of the time you're wearing space armor.
At least with the second and third game anyway, the player is giving way more costume options outside of combat. Tell you what, I'll drop that example and bring in the Saints Row series instead.

And Spider-Man actually has less customization options than Jedi Survivor.
Not Miles Morales.
And no, it's not only barely better. It's significantly better. Outside of gender, face, and hair color you can now pretty much give yourself the look you want, and this has improved my experience playing it. If that's praise worthy, I don't know, but in comparison to the first game it is certainly worth mentioning. Like in a review, for example.
If it makes you happy, then that's all that matters. I know there are improvements, but I've still seen better from the past.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not Miles Morales.
Stop me if I'm wrong, but I believe Miles Morales has the same amount if not less suits than Spider-Man PS4.
If it makes you happy, then that's all that matters. I know there are improvements, but I've still seen better from the past.
Sure, but then I've also seen better parrying and stealth than in RE4 Remake. It's still a significant change compared to how the franchise was previously. To stick with Resident Evil; if the next RE game, or RE5 Remake were to have similar customization options - the option to give Chris a beard or Jill a mohawk etc - even if there are far more and better customization options in other games, it would still feature in every review as a bullet point.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Stop me if I'm wrong, but I believe Miles Morales has the same amount if not less suits than Spider-Man PS4.
Miles actually gets about 10 more costumes than Peter if I remember correctly.

Sure, but then I've also seen better parrying and stealth than in RE4 Remake.
Stealth? Yes you have a point, but at least it's done decent and competently. Parrying in survival action-horror? The best.

To stick with Resident Evil; if the next RE game, or RE5 Remake were to have similar customization options - the option to give Chris a beard or Jill a mohawk etc - even if there are far more and better customization options in other games, it would still feature in every review as a bullet point.
Knowing Capcom, it would still be a step back to the crazy amount of costume unlocks in their original versions. Because a problem I'm noticing with these remakes, is that some of the really good costumes are behind DLCs, season passes, or pre-orders.