Your video game hot take(s) thread

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Which one are you playing? RE4 Remake (or the original), Dead Space Remake (or original 1 and 2) Evil Within 2, or something else?
Just hopping between Resi Evil 4 and Dead Island 2 mainly at mo, occasional Horizon:FW DLC (hey that combat is ass-gripping enough on higher difficulties, not eased by it locking my under-leveled save file on the DLC island with no option to grind elsewhere!) Tho you have reminded there's an Evil Within 2 save I still gotta finish, remember much story progress was made but something must've interrupted life flow at the time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Continuing to update and recycle my main hot takes given all the hullabaloo with recent releases...

Yes, graphical fidelity matters. I want pretty graphics! I want realistic characters and environments.

The mantra all over is "gameplay first" and now we have oh-so-smart pundits and posters claiming they don't even care about graphics and tech.
And, yes, of course gameplay lol- no one disagrees with that. Anyone going on and on about how a game being "fun" is most important is creating a strawman argument. It's also nonsense because as we all know everyone's idea of "fun" is different. Some like survival games where you have to worry about food and inventories and I'd rather die IRL, whatever. I like replaying Assassins Creed 2 and talking along with the dialogue I know by heart in my best fake-Italian accent, whatever.

And I like my indies too and if a Stardew Valley comes along that captures my heart, so be it. But part of the whole fun of video games is the graphics and tech. We need all kinds, and we should expect it and demand it. Especially since we know it's possible. In terms of pure logic and technical capability, we could be having a God of War: Ragnarok level game every couple of months on all platforms (I'm not talking about writing and pacing and all those things that is creative choice, I'm just talking about how you can have "realistic" graphics with satisfying combat and a story and cool looking environments).

I'm also seeing calls to stop or slow down AAA games or maybe not make them so "big." Well, no, maybe don't make them so bloated- that is two different things. I agree with the idea that games don't need to have single player AND multiplayer AND crafting AND tons of post-game content AND a 60 hr story AND this AND that... but they should still make "big" games! Spectacle, wonder, cool looking shit with big budgets- I still want that.

The current double-shot of Jedi Survivor being bad on PC and Redfall being bad at everything has made the gaming pundits and some industry folks question and challenge the very idea of even making big games. And this just seems like excuses and navel-gazing to me. My bias is working in IT all my life and it's so easy to blame technology. Oh, networking is so hard, finding all the bugs is impossible, tech keeps changing, blah blah blah- yes, that's true, that's why we get paid so much money lol. Management, setting expectations, and honesty go a long way with that, and this where I'll stop before ranting about modern capitalism...

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
ALL THE GAMES COME DOWN TO POINT-AND-CLICK-AT-PROMPT. ALL THE GAMES ARE DIFFERENTLY SKINNED QTEs. ALL THE GAMES ARE THE SAME GAME WITH DIFFERENT GRAPHICS. WE'RE ALL THE SAME TRAINED MONKEY DOING THE SAME GESTURES FOR THE SAME STIMULI WITH A DIFFERENT GRAPHIC AND THE GUISE OF A DIFFERENT EXCUSE. IT'S ALL JUST THE SAME THING. AAAAAAARGHH

Sorry, just a minute of lucidity/madness/existential dread. I'll have a tea and I'll be fine.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Continuing to update and recycle my main hot takes given all the hullabaloo with recent releases...

Yes, graphical fidelity matters. I want pretty graphics! I want realistic characters and environments.

The mantra all over is "gameplay first" and now we have oh-so-smart pundits and posters claiming they don't even care about graphics and tech.
And, yes, of course gameplay lol- no one disagrees with that. Anyone going on and on about how a game being "fun" is most important is creating a strawman argument. It's also nonsense because as we all know everyone's idea of "fun" is different. Some like survival games where you have to worry about food and inventories and I'd rather die IRL, whatever. I like replaying Assassins Creed 2 and talking along with the dialogue I know by heart in my best fake-Italian accent, whatever.

And I like my indies too and if a Stardew Valley comes along that captures my heart, so be it. But part of the whole fun of video games is the graphics and tech. We need all kinds, and we should expect it and demand it. Especially since we know it's possible. In terms of pure logic and technical capability, we could be having a God of War: Ragnarok level game every couple of months on all platforms (I'm not talking about writing and pacing and all those things that is creative choice, I'm just talking about how you can have "realistic" graphics with satisfying combat and a story and cool looking environments).

I'm also seeing calls to stop or slow down AAA games or maybe not make them so "big." Well, no, maybe don't make them so bloated- that is two different things. I agree with the idea that games don't need to have single player AND multiplayer AND crafting AND tons of post-game content AND a 60 hr story AND this AND that... but they should still make "big" games! Spectacle, wonder, cool looking shit with big budgets- I still want that.

The current double-shot of Jedi Survivor being bad on PC and Redfall being bad at everything has made the gaming pundits and some industry folks question and challenge the very idea of even making big games. And this just seems like excuses and navel-gazing to me. My bias is working in IT all my life and it's so easy to blame technology. Oh, networking is so hard, finding all the bugs is impossible, tech keeps changing, blah blah blah- yes, that's true, that's why we get paid so much money lol. Management, setting expectations, and honesty go a long way with that, and this where I'll stop before ranting about modern capitalism...
Guess you’ll have to wait for GTA6 then for realistic characters and environments. In the meantime have you ever tried RDR2? It’s big, highly detailed, has a ton of character interactions to toy with, interesting side quests, etc. Still a high water mark for big open worlds with a lived in feel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

YoVideoGames (especially Simmons) have been calling out the "graphics don't matter" crowd since 2012. While graphics are important, having a distinct art style or visual design is even more important. The problem with going for realism is that you're either going to get an uncanny valley effect, or those realistic graphics are going to age within the next year or year and a half. With low diminishing returns each time. There's some exceptions, but not even they can last forever. The RE engine has done this the best, but even it has it's minor slip-ups every now and then. At least Capcom bothers to take the engine and still stylize it with their other games not named Resident Evil.

I'm also seeing calls to stop or slow down AAA games or maybe not make them so "big." Well, no, maybe don't make them so bloated- that is two different things. I agree with the idea that games don't need to have single player AND multiplayer AND crafting AND tons of post-game content AND a 60 hr story AND this AND that... but they should still make "big" games! Spectacle, wonder, cool looking shit with big budgets- I still want that
They can still make them big, but just don't work your developers to death nor fill it with boring checklist. Downsize on on a smaller scale. Resident Evil 4 Remake is a large game, but Capcom knew how to Pace it with its level design and not just make it full of too much padding. Some of the side quests are weak and just require backtracking.

You're talking about, but pendants like that just say whatever to please the masses. They're known for changing their opinions on a dime. You should see all these pundents lamenting the death of Nintendo with the Wii U back early to mid 2010s. They'll say anything to sound and act as if they're on top of everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Only if they’re good!
Even then, I'm not going to put in $70. If I'm trading something in or selling a game to make up the difference, which is getting rarer by the day, I'll just wait or never buy it at all. It's why I've been going to to mid budget games or Indie. I'm usually getting my money's worth at a better and more affordable price.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker
Nov 9, 2015
I remember playing GTA V with a graphics mod, walking around and in awe how realistic everything looked, and then I stop noticing it 3 hours later. It's the same story with RDR2, all that attention to detail stops mattering, except when it became a nuisance. Your hat falls off and horses poop, but none of it matters when you can kill an entire town and come back as if nothing happened.

Now obviously graphics are important, there are some games that are so hideous I don't want to play them again, but the point is once you see a painting a couple of times it becomes part of the backdrop. As long as it's not an eyesore, it's not really that important.

But part of the whole fun of video games is the graphics and tech.
Sure, but I want to play a battle with 25,000+ soldiers at 60fps. I don't want to see 25,000 polygons of peach fuzz on a character. I don't want to see a photorealistic city where there are only 10 buildings you can enter. I don't want to see fps games with the hyperreal 200fps firing animations and visual recoil, but you are running around like Quake deathmatch.

I'm also seeing calls to stop or slow down AAA games or maybe not make them so "big."
The bigger the world, the more assets have to be created. How much labour and cost do you think goes into asset creation? I'd guess it's the most labour and cost intensive part of production. I'm not saying that if you took $20 million from art and spent it on gameplay, games would suddenly have better gameplay, but what I'm saying is that developers and consumers have a twisted priority on visuals and spectacle.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I remember playing GTA V with a graphics mod, walking around and in awe how realistic everything looked, and then I stop noticing it 3 hours later. It's the same story with RDR2, all that attention to detail stops mattering, except when it became a nuisance. Your hat falls off and horses poop, but none of it matters when you can kill an entire town and come back as if nothing happened.

Now obviously graphics are important, there are some games that are so hideous I don't want to play them again, but the point is once you see a painting a couple of times it becomes part of the backdrop. As long as it's not an eyesore, it's not really that important.

Sure, but I want to play a battle with 25,000+ soldiers at 60fps. I don't want to see 25,000 polygons of peach fuzz on a character. I don't want to see a photorealistic city where there are only 10 buildings you can enter. I don't want to see fps games with the hyperreal 200fps firing animations and visual recoil, but you are running around like Quake deathmatch.

The bigger the world, the more assets have to be created. How much labour and cost do you think goes into asset creation? I'd guess it's the most labour and cost intensive part of production. I'm not saying that if you took $20 million from art and spent it on gameplay, games would suddenly have better gameplay, but what I'm saying is that developers and consumers have a twisted priority on visuals and spectacle.
I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn’t have over five hundred hours into RDR2 if it wasn’t as detailed. Even RDO time which is over half that, wasn’t from the typical MP death match, koth, etc. game types, other than as much as needed to get Platinum. It was from the character building aspect.

In a way it’s saying, the more effort devs put into the game, the more I’ll get out of it. The reason YouTubers like Strange Man are still making videos about different details, is because a lot of people still value the little things that other people overlook.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Do we know that? Mass Effect offers very little in terms of actual costume changes, since most of the time you're wearing space armor. And Souls has never really been about visual customization. Not that it's not there, but you pretty much wear what you feel you need to, not what looks good. And Spider-Man actually has less customization options than Jedi Survivor.

And no, it's not only barely better. It's significantly better. Outside of gender, face, and hair color you can now pretty much give yourself the look you want, and this has improved my experience playing it. If that's praise worthy, I don't know, but in comparison to the first game it is certainly worth mentioning. Like in a review, for example.
The first Mass Effect had lots of different armours for the characters with relevant stat increases, problem is by endgame you wanted everyone at their best so everyone had the same armour and the same guns. Subsequent games - although 2 is the best for this - removed stats from all armour except for Shepard’s in order to give each character a distinct and unique look. That left Shepard with having some customisation of their armour and it’s paint job or allowing them to wear one of several specially designed sets.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"Machine guns don't belong in a survival horror game! It's makes the game less scary!" Resident Evil 2 & REmake 2, Resident Evil 3 & REmake 3, REmake 4, Parasite Eve, and Eternal Darkness are all giving you a big fat hello! I already know not every single horror game needs a machine gun or guns in general, but as long as it fits with the game and is not too overpowered, I have zero complaints. Some YouTubers have been making a recent stink about this a few months back.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Video games can benefit from predictable, cliché story-telling.

This take is most recently inspired by Jedi: Survivor. Multiple reviewers have made fun of the predictable story beats, in particular as betrayal for an important NPC that they saw coming a mile away.

I think when it's executed well, the very nature of interactivity changes how I experience these types of story beats. If I'm just passively watching them in a movie or TV show- especially if they're executed in a boring way- then it's just kinda.. there, and probably boring, sure.
But with a controller in my hand, I get to DO the revenge, or justice, or fight, or whatever the hero thing is that we've seen a million times before. And that is very different.

I just think making fun of a big Star Wars game for story beats we've seen before is like making fun of beauty pageant contestants who give dumb answers to questions about like how to help the world or whatever- I mean, what are you expecting here?

Part of this for me also comes from Assassins Creed, a series whose best games feature the most simple, expected character journeys, and when they try to get sophisticated they end up tripping all over themselves (Assassins Creed 3 hello).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

This take is most recently inspired by Jedi: Survivor. Multiple reviewers have made fun of the predictable story beats, in particular as betrayal for an important NPC that they saw coming a mile away.
I'm not coming for the defense, nor against Jedi Survivor, but that was the main complaint from the last game. The story was either to stale, predictable, or didn't take any risks due to also being a prequel. I know Pat found the story boring and obviously cliched. I don't mind cliches when they're done right, but for what I'm seeing from everybody talking about this, is that it doesn't do enough risk or makes things too obvious that an elementary school kid can figure it out. If you like the story though, or power to you.

I don't mind an art style change as long as it's not done to obnoxiously. I'm saying this, cuz I've noticed a patterns route several years is that whenever a game upgrades is art style or does a completely different thing, people freak out and assume the game is automatically going to be bad. I've noticed this with Streets of Rage 4 and Double Dragon Neon when they were first announced and had trailers. Neon got the worst of it though, and people were judging the game before it was even available with a demo. SOR4 was called a "flash game" by know nothing Fanboys and certain anti-brawler critics. Both games proved how full of crap those people are. Double Dragon Garden is getting a similar case, but it's nowhere near as bad as when Neon was first revealed. The thing people keep forgetting about the Double Dragon franchise, is that it never had a consistent art style or characters. Is the reason why the series and the company that made them, Technos, went under at that time. Not everything's going to be constantly the same. If it did, it would be bored. I know people are used to certain things, but I did not need another SOR pixel brawler using the same sprites since 1992.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.

I think when it's executed well, the very nature of interactivity changes how I experience these types of story beats. If I'm just passively watching them in a movie or TV show- especially if they're executed in a boring way- then it's just kinda.. there, and probably boring, sure.
But with a controller in my hand, I get to DO the revenge, or justice, or fight, or whatever the hero thing is that we've seen a million times before. And that is very different.

I just think making fun of a big Star Wars game for story beats we've seen before is like making fun of beauty pageant contestants who give dumb answers to questions about like how to help the world or whatever- I mean, what are you expecting here?

Part of this for me also comes from Assassins Creed, a series whose best games feature the most simple, expected character journeys, and when they try to get sophisticated they end up tripping all over themselves (Assassins Creed 3 hello).
I agree. It is interesting you brought it up, because the recent example I can point to you talked about just a couple of days ago in another thread. Weird West's 1st chapter is one of the most cliche western stories there is. Former law enforcement (or in this case bounty hunter) retires to farm to try and live normal life. Then spouse/kid gets kidnapped/killed... and so on. It seems like you didn't stick around to see it get "weirder" so to speak (and I can't blame you due to the bizarre control system.) But it does well utilize that cliche story at the beginning, a story that is familiar enough to fit like a glove in order to help acclimatize you to a fairly non-standard setting and style of game.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I agree. It is interesting you brought it up, because the recent example I can point to you talked about just a couple of days ago in another thread. Weird West's 1st chapter is one of the most cliche western stories there is. Former law enforcement (or in this case bounty hunter) retires to farm to try and live normal life. Then spouse/kid gets kidnapped/killed... and so on. It seems like you didn't stick around to see it get "weirder" so to speak (and I can't blame you due to the bizarre control system.) But it does well utilize that cliche story at the beginning, a story that is familiar enough to fit like a glove in order to help acclimatize you to a fairly non-standard setting and style of game.
This all may go beyond videogames. I think there are whole genres, be it movies, comics, novels, that benefit from basic structural tropes. When you're in the mood for some buddy movie, or some monster of the week flick, or some ghost story, or some nice Western, you're usually in the mood for a comfy stereotype. You know how it'll go, you're at home, you're not exploring new grounds. You want, essentially, to re-watch the same story for the first time. And just see more cars asplode at the predicted beats. A too experimental Columbo episode ceases to be a Columbo episode, which is bad news if you really wanted to watch a Columbo episode.

And I'd say it's the Star Wars tragedy. I won't go full cinefix and claim Star Wars is a western, but still, it's a simple adventure rollercoaster, and trying to make it Dune just dilutes it. It's a spectacle that functions on impact, like Duel, Outland, Terminator, Indiana Jones.

But yes, all the more when it's an action game, and the "content" is in your own moves.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Sterling with a hot take.

If someone leaves their car unlocked, it's morally okay to steal it.

In regards to Kotaku leaking or discussing leaks of Zelda, while technically okay, the reasoning Sterling provides isn't. Kotaku got blacklisted by Nintendo (and probably many others like Square) because of a history of outrage driven articles regarding race-baiting or LBGT+ outrage. Remember when they asked Yoshi-P why Final Fantasy 16 has no black people in it, because historically there might have been three black people in the setting therefore deserve to be included? Of course the great LBGT ally Sterling isn't going to point that out as a possibility because to consider it makes you a bigot.

Kotaku isn't wrong for being mad at Nintendo, but Nintendo also isn't wrong for not inviting them to their fancy Zelda Party.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In regards to Kotaku leaking or discussing leaks of Zelda, while technically okay, the reasoning Sterling provides isn't. Kotaku got blacklisted by Nintendo (and probably many others like Square) because of a history of outrage driven articles regarding race-baiting or LBGT+ outrage.
Even before discussing the Zelda leak, they were already blacklisted from Nintendo by something else. They literally lose nothing. I don't like coming for Kotaku's defense. I don't like coming for Kotaku's defense, but Nintendo has their own screw-ups as well, and I don't like howt they've reacted to people who leak stuff. They go way too far, and expect everybody to be their bitches.
Remember when they asked Yoshi-P why Final Fantasy 16 has no black people in it, because historically there might have been three black people in the setting therefore deserve to be included? Of course the great LBGT ally Sterling isn't going to point that out as a possibility because to consider it makes you a bigot.
Because that has nothing to do with Nintendo. I never forgot about that moment and it still dumb, but I'm not going to rag on Sterling for not bringing it up. At least they stayed on topic. It also still doesn't solve the issue of the hypocritical parts of the gaming audience that want "journalistic integrity", but at the same time want all gaming journalists and outlets to fall inline with the games and game companies they like or care for, and be their extended OR department. They want to have it both ways. That is not journalistic integrity, that's just people hearing what they want to hear and getting mad at somebody that has a disagreement, or because they reported on something that was already known, and said company or psychotic fan suddenly has a problem with it and is in shock.

Kotaku isn't wrong for being mad at Nintendo, but Nintendo also isn't wrong for not inviting them to their fancy Zelda Party.
So in other words both sides have a point, and neither are better than the other. They both suck as far as I'm concerned right now.

I'm sure Tears Of The Kingdom will be a great game, but it sure as hell ain't worth a $70 price tag. Glad I'm not a Zelda fan in this case. The only reason Nintendo is doing this, is because Sony and Microsoft have done it with their games.

Last edited: